Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/klstudioclassic/status/1121453469012041728?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

Didn't they shoot a lot of that movie on GoPros? Weren't those things like 720p at the time?

Yes.

But Crank being lovely and low-fi is a part of it's charm.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's like if they put 28 Days Later on 4K. It'd pretty much be pointless because of the way it was shot. It's not going to look any better past a certain point.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu -Ray is alright for SD because of the vastly better codecs and lossless sound, but 4K is pointless since you can include Atmos on Blu.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I will buy every version of the Crank franchise on every single format regardless, Evil Dead trilogy-style.

I do not even have 4K. poo poo I got a 32" TV.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Is there a really great website for tracking what new UHD 4k releases are coming out?

I have this very embarrassing list of movies I'm waiting to buy on 4k that I don't think are currently available, and I'd love to bookmark a site that I could just check every month to see if any of them are on the list.

Just for the sake of entertainment, here's the list in question:

- Dragon Ball Z (all)
- Star Wars (all)
- Rocky (all)
- Lord of the Rings (all)
- Studio Ghibli (all)
- Terminator 1 and 2
- The Other Guys
- Inside Out
- The Nice Guys
- Manchester by the Sea
- Grand Budapest Hotel
- Fences
- Lady Bird
- Eighth Grade
- Her
- Sukiyaki Western Django
- Enchanted
- Mulan
- Frozen
- Moana
- Zootopia
- Iron Man
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- The Mighty Ducks
- Waiting for Guffman
- Brink
- O Brother Where Art Thou
- Tommy Boy
- Won't You Be My Neighbor?
- 2 Guns

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If you aren’t looking forward to watching ‘Begotten’ in 16K then what the gently caress are you even doing?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

If you aren’t looking forward to watching ‘Begotten’ in 16K then what the gently caress are you even doing?

Someone asked what are good Easter movies a few days before Easter and I want to change my answer.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

surf rock posted:

Is there a really great website for tracking what new UHD 4k releases are coming out?

I have this very embarrassing list of movies I'm waiting to buy on 4k that I don't think are currently available, and I'd love to bookmark a site that I could just check every month to see if any of them are on the list.

- Dragon Ball Z (all)
- Star Wars (all)
- Rocky (all)
- Studio Ghibli (all)
- Terminator 1 and 2
- The Other Guys
- Inside Out
- The Nice Guys
- Manchester by the Sea
- Grand Budapest Hotel
- Fences
- Lady Bird
- Eighth Grade
- Her
- Enchanted
- Mulan
- Frozen
- Moana
- Zootopia
- Iron Man
- The Mighty Ducks
- Waiting for Guffman
- Brink
- Tommy Boy
- 2 Guns

Most of those probably won't get 4K for a while, though I believe all the pre-Spirited Away Ghibli titles have 6K scans/4K masters.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
how much better can Tommy Boy look

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

surf rock posted:

- Dragon Ball Z (all)
- Star Wars (all)
- Rocky (all)
- Studio Ghibli (all)
- Terminator 1 and 2
- The Other Guys
- Inside Out
- The Nice Guys
- Manchester by the Sea
- Grand Budapest Hotel
- Fences
- Lady Bird
- Eighth Grade
- Her
- Enchanted
- Mulan
- Frozen
- Moana
- Zootopia
- Iron Man
- The Mighty Ducks
- Waiting for Guffman
- Brink
- Tommy Boy
- 2 Guns
T2 was released but it’s not that great.

I just use this thread and occasionally look at https://www.blu-ray.com

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Xenomrph posted:

Maaaaaaaaaan, an Arrow 4K remastered special edition of Shadow of the Vampire would be dope, though.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 26, 2019

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

caligulamprey posted:

Maaaaaaaaaan, a Arrow 4K remastered special edition of Shadow of the Vampire would be dope, though.

Like, the Willem Defoe movie? I’d buy that.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Egbert Souse posted:

Most of those probably won't get 4K for a while, though I believe all the pre-Spirited Away Ghibli titles have 6K scans/4K masters.

Whoa hey, you mean to tell me that noted classic film "Brink" won't get a UHD release after getting *checks notes* zero previous home releases, because it was in fact a TV movie that nobody remembers?

That's crazy talk

TheScott2K posted:

That's an extremely valid point but, on the other hand, I want all of my movies to have black spines and my Tommy Boy blu-ray doesn't, which is an even valid-er point.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

david_a posted:

T2 was released but it’s not that great.
The Noise Reduction isn't Predator level terrible, but once the T-1000 gets to John's foster parents' house I was like "Wait, where's the loving film grain"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

surf rock posted:

That's an extremely valid point but, on the other hand, I want all of my movies to have black spines and my Tommy Boy blu-ray doesn't, which is an even valid-er point.

Is this it, is this Peak Physical Media Thread?

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > The Physical Media Thread: I want all of my movies to have black spines and my Tommy Boy blu-ray doesn't

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'd be surprised if Tommy Boy gets a 4K release. You should just buy some black cases.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I want, no, need to see the individual droplets cascading off of Chris Farley's body as he dances manically while getting hosed down in a gas station driveway.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

FilthyImp posted:

The Noise Reduction isn't Predator level terrible, but once the T-1000 gets to John's foster parents' house I was like "Wait, where's the loving film grain"

In a lot of shots the noise reduction just blurs any semblance of detail that might have once been there. And then a lot of other shots are grain free but significantly more detailed than previous releases. In the scene where Arnold arrives at the biker bar, I always assumed he shaves or waxes his chest but in 4K you can make out his chest hairs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Shout Factory is discounting some stuff and that Herzog box set is one of the things.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

Shout Factory is discounting some stuff and that Herzog box set is one of the things.

Do you have a full list or link? I don’t want to spend $100 on something like Fitzcaraldo in 2 years.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Do you have a full list or link? I don’t want to spend $100 on something like Fitzcaraldo in 2 years.

It's a lot of movies. I have no idea which ones you can buy separately other than Aguire, Fitzcaralo, and Nosfertau. But for what those cost individually this set seems like a good deal. Full details here:
https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/herzog-the-collection-limited-edition?product_id=3277

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not sure what the rights situation is like for that set, but there's a lot there. It's possible they might have the rights to keep selling everything in that set in perpetuity. If it goes out of print it could be really expensive.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
As an alternative, the BFI Herzog set has a lot of similar main titles and a few different shorts/docos: https://www.bfi.org.uk/blu-rays-dvds/werner-herzog-collection-blu-ray and is available from the BFI Shop for 34 pounds/$45USD.

It does seem to be Region B locked but it's less than half the price.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What is everyone using for region free Blu-ray players? It's been something I've thought about getting on and off over the years.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I just looked and I guess the normal price on various sites in about ten bucks cheaper than the Shout sale so I guess this isn't such big news. And even if that UK set is much cheaper, if you're in region one and don't have a region free player then a hundred dollars is pretty reasonable for a 13 disc set.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Boinks posted:

I'd be surprised if Tommy Boy gets a 4K release. You should just buy some black cases.

That's a good idea

ruddiger posted:

I want, no, need to see the individual droplets cascading off of Chris Farley's body as he dances manically while getting hosed down in a gas station driveway.

ON THE OTHER HAND :yeah:

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

July Arrow releases.

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1121781315966316545

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Casimir Radon posted:

What is everyone using for region free Blu-ray players? It's been something I've thought about getting on and off over the years.

A PC with MakeMKV.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

surf rock posted:

- Dragon Ball Z (all)

fair warning: unless either Toei or Funimation does an entirely new scan of the cels, you don't want this.

there is a literal grand total of one DBZ release that looks even anywhere approaching decent, and it's the Dragon Boxes from 2003 that'll cost you $Texas to get. the blu-rays are DNR'd to gently caress and look absolutely awful, and the newest release looks even worse than the previous blu-rays.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

fair warning: unless either Toei or Funimation does an entirely new scan of the cels, you don't want this.

there is a literal grand total of one DBZ release that looks even anywhere approaching decent, and it's the Dragon Boxes from 2003 that'll cost you $Texas to get. the blu-rays are DNR'd to gently caress and look absolutely awful, and the newest release looks even worse than the previous blu-rays.

Well, poo poo. I've kinda wondered about this. Does the 2003 version have the Falcouner score? For me, that's an even more important element than image quality, although obviously I care about that.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Monday_ posted:

A PC with MakeMKV.

That or just an external BR disc player. It's weirdly difficult to get a program to play Blu-Rays on a PC though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
MS never paid the license fee to bundle Blu decoding into Windows. Which makes sense since they backed HD-DVD.

Anyway, you have to grab one of those Home Cinema programs to enable it.

I had a Blu Burner on my old work computer and it was nothing but bullshit.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

SimonCat posted:

That or just an external BR disc player. It's weirdly difficult to get a program to play Blu-Rays on a PC though.

I'd still use MakeMKV even if it wasn't. With a remux you don't have to waste time in menus and you can use madVR for better upscaling than any TV or BR player can do.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

mallratcal posted:

July Arrow releases.

Hell yeah, The Loveless and Weird Science :rock:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wrong Chill Factor.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Wrong Chill Factor.

Are you thinking of the one with Cuba Gooding Jr? Because I’d buy that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I just looked and I guess the normal price on various sites in about ten bucks cheaper than the Shout sale so I guess this isn't such big news. And even if that UK set is much cheaper, if you're in region one and don't have a region free player then a hundred dollars is pretty reasonable for a 13 disc set.

Here's how the two sets compare...

Exclusive to Shout:
Even Dwarfs Started Small
Ballad of the Little Soldier
Where the Green Ants Dream
Lessons of Darkness
Little Dieter Needs to Fly
My Best Fiend

Exclusive to BFI:
The Unprecedented Defence of the Fortress Deutschkreuz
Last Words
Precautions Against Fanatics
Handicapped Future
The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner
How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck
Huie’s Sermon
God’s Angry Man
Burden of Dreams (US rights with Criterion)

On both:
Land of Silence and Darkness
Fata Morgana
Aguirre, Wrath of God
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
Heart of Glass
Stroszek
Nosferatu (Shout has DNR, BFI doesn't)
Woyzeck
Fitzcarraldo
Cobra Verde

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I do the Disney Movie Club because I'm dumb and also somehow a boomer in my 30s. I just got an email from them saying that they're putting out A Goofy Movie and An Extremely Goofy Movie on bluray exclusive for members. The price is "24.99", but for members it's $9.98 each film, but again, you have to be a member to even see the page, let alone order it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
A Goofy Movie was my poo poo as a kid.