Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

SomeJazzyRat posted:

But yeah, I agree the landscape of conspiracy has radically changed since the 90's.

I've been rewatching X-Files, and in their first appearance The Lone Gunmen start rattling on about the Deep State and oooof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

howe_sam posted:

I've been rewatching X-Files, and in their first appearance The Lone Gunmen start rattling on about the Deep State and oooof.

yeah, there's a lot of elements of X-Files that absolutely did not age well, or look absolutely godawful in the modern lens

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean the issue with conspiracy theories in general (except maybe the cryptid stuff?) is that they're all more or less about Jews/Reptiles manipulating society in order to extract our precious bodily fluids--I feel like even something like They Live isn't immune to that kind of reading.

What makes modern conspiracy especially distasteful, I think, is that it's become hyper partisan. In the 90s at least a UFO nut would argue that both Bush and Clinton were keeping the Greys under wraps. Q is explicitly in the service of the GOP.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A little girl and her mom play a game where they make up stories about a themepark called wonderLAND that they'd like to go to, by whispering ideas into a stuffed toy monkey.

The mom then gets cancer and dies so the kid is sad and loses all their imagination (the mom gets cancer, and very clearly dies, but the movie has no director so in the last scene the mom is alive again? it's filmed really weirdly, like they don't SAY she died, but the whole premise of the movie is the mom being sick and then the kid coping with dispair)

The kid runs away from home, ends up in a zombie filled dark cloud version of wonderland, then she finds joy again and fixes the park and saves the day buy making some new rides. curing the mom, or the mom gets better for no reason and it was no big deal after all.

The mum just has to go spend some time in hospital for awhile. The kid reacts to this as if they died, despite being ridiculously precocious and smart in all other ways, and also surely they could just visit the mother regularly? It would make for a better narrative and theme if she had died, but I guess they (correctly) realised they weren't good enough writers to portray something that sensitive.

Once they get the the park it is just a string of action sequences and set pieces without any real point to them. The parks many mascot characters accompany her, and are all annoying, contribute nothing to her character arc and have no real arcs of their own. They also guilt trip her for abandoning them and she is suggested to be responsible for maintaining her imaginary theme park forever or they will all suffer and die. That seems like an unhealthy message for the kids.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

porfiria posted:

What makes modern conspiracy especially distasteful, I think, is that it's become hyper partisan. In the 90s at least a UFO nut would argue that both Bush and Clinton were keeping the Greys under wraps. Q is explicitly in the service of the GOP.

Plus between measles outbreaks caused by anti-vax activism, and politicians openly pandering to alt-right psychos, we're starting to see conspiracies pose a bona fide threat to society.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Moon Atari posted:

The kid reacts to this as if they died, despite being ridiculously precocious and smart in all other ways, and also surely they could just visit the mother regularly?
There's a graphic novel called I Kill Giants that kind of is like that. Except the Mother is in palliative care and the daughter avoids seeing her because then she can not face the fact mom is dying. So sounds like they just botched it here real bad.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
animated transformers movie about what happened on cybertron in the works

hope it's lord and miller, but I hope everything is lord and miller these days I guess

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Hemingway To Go! posted:

animated transformers movie about what happened on cybertron in the works

hope it's lord and miller, but I hope everything is lord and miller these days I guess

Prediction: Cybertron explodes because it did not embrace free market capitalism hard enough

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They already made a couple video games about this. The cliff notes version is that Megatron poisoned the planet, though some versions have it being rendered uninhabitable by the massive civil war consuming literally all the resources. (basically Fallout)

Funny thing is there's some implications that Cybertronians are basically like giant pandas who can't survive for long off any power source but the Energon that Cybertron produces, though you can apparently farm the stuff from other power sources or sometimes it grows and spreads like Tiberium.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I may or may not have seen an early cut of what may or may not have been Amusement Park and the mom may or may not have definitely died in that version.

I do definitely work on the TV show, can't deny that one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Das Boo posted:

I may or may not have seen an early cut of what may or may not have been Amusement Park and the mom may or may not have definitely died in that version.

Don't NDAs usually expire by the time the movie's actually out, or does this movie being a complete clusterfuck add any wrinkles to that?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

That's such a weird thing to change, it's not like dead moms or dead parents in general are super uncommon in children's media.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They already made a couple video games about this. The cliff notes version is that Megatron poisoned the planet, though some versions have it being rendered uninhabitable by the massive civil war consuming literally all the resources. (basically Fallout)

Funny thing is there's some implications that Cybertronians are basically like giant pandas who can't survive for long off any power source but the Energon that Cybertron produces, though you can apparently farm the stuff from other power sources or sometimes it grows and spreads like Tiberium.

The direction the comics take cybertronians is real good. Basically they are considered a galactic plague largely due to robot hitler (megatron) genociding all organic life he finds, and the autobot-decepticon war has been going on for 4 million years now. The transformers landing on earth in the IDW reboot was considerably more severe, with multiple cities being obliterated and over a billion people killed before the decepticons were pushed back. Humanity pillaged the cybertronian wreckage and significantly upgraded their technology to repel any further incursions, and an entire galactic federation of organic races was formed to eliminate cybertronians, decepticon OR autobot.

And then the war ended, and thundercracker became a shut-in on earth with a pet dog and he writes extremely terrible romance novels based entirely on his interpretations of human television while hot rod led a robot star trek ramshackle crew on a wild goose chase across the galaxy, it's very good

None of it will ever be animated sadly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's a hot mess to keep track of but pretty fun what what I've read. I think they also had the crossover with GI Joe, Action Man, Micronauts and a bunch of other stuff. (though Transformers vs GI Joe might be a seperate thing)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

The direction the comics take cybertronians is real good. Basically they are considered a galactic plague largely due to robot hitler (megatron) genociding all organic life he finds, and the autobot-decepticon war has been going on for 4 million years now. The transformers landing on earth in the IDW reboot was considerably more severe, with multiple cities being obliterated and over a billion people killed before the decepticons were pushed back. Humanity pillaged the cybertronian wreckage and significantly upgraded their technology to repel any further incursions, and an entire galactic federation of organic races was formed to eliminate cybertronians, decepticon OR autobot.

And then the war ended, and thundercracker became a shut-in on earth with a pet dog and he writes extremely terrible romance novels based entirely on his interpretations of human television while hot rod led a robot star trek ramshackle crew on a wild goose chase across the galaxy, it's very good

None of it will ever be animated sadly

I have no idea why Hasbro doesn't just commission a James Roberts-written series for Netflix or something

Don't have it be in direct continuity with the comics, but give him carte blanche to carry over as much as he wants, and only good things will result

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I don't think Hasbro really wants to bother much with something they can't guarantee all the kids will watch and want to buy toys for. The comics are 100% by the nerds for the nerds and they know it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's such a weird thing to change, it's not like dead moms or dead parents in general are super uncommon in children's media.

Listen, no change in that movie is as weird as the movie being called wonderpark and the park being called wonderland.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Don't NDAs usually expire by the time the movie's actually out, or does this movie being a complete clusterfuck add any wrinkles to that?

The relationship between the movie and TV show is so messy that I'm just going to proceed cautiously. We're both under the same parent company so there's bleed over, but I'm really not sure how much I can talk about the behind-the-scenes of the released movie as someone who works on the unreleased show.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So it's the latter, more or less, possibly compounded by the movie being technically a theatrically-released pilot depending on how they're classifying it internally.

Huh. Woof.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I watched Wolf Children last night and really loved it. Along with The Boy and the Beast which I saw last year, Mamoru Hosoda is becoming one of my favourite anime directors. What’s Mirai like?

I’m seeing the Missing Link this morning at the cinema! Got a chance to see it before it disappears into obscurity along with Laika as a whole 😿

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Just got out of (a completely empty screening of) Missing Link, it was absolutely gorgeous with wonderful characters and a charming central message. My favourite Laika movie.

As I watched the time lapse behind-the-scenes segment in the end credits I teared up a bit because in all likelihood this is Laika’s last ride :smith:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dear god. If this is a make it or break it proposition why would you make the protagonist such an offputting mess?!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Do you mean Mr Link? He was funny, big-hearted and a delight.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think Hasbro really wants to bother much with something they can't guarantee all the kids will watch and want to buy toys for. The comics are 100% by the nerds for the nerds and they know it.

Also, regarding this, I'd see it as less for the kids, and more a way to make Transformers a more generally respectable franchise among the parents.

You'll notice parents who are into a Nerd Thing have a weird tendency to try very hard to get their kids into that Nerd Thing. Star Wars is probably the most socially acceptable to do this with, but you also see it with LotR, Final Fantasy, Marvel/DC... pretty much any nerd-adjacent franchise that's gone on long enough that multiple generations have been exposed to it, gets this happening.

Following from this, if they have adult-targeted (albeit still reasonably kid-appropriate) Transformers stuff coming out that gets adults nutty about that IP, adults are more likely to get their kids into it. And given Hasbro's already got kid-targeted stuff locked down, pretty much, I really can't see any outcome of this other than "they rake in hilarious amounts of money."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hedrigall posted:

Do you mean Mr Link? He was funny, big-hearted and a delight.
My wife and I go out and watch Laikafilms whenever they're in theatres, and eventually buy the blus when they go on sale. But neither of us wants to watch this/own this because the monkeyman is so godawfully ugly.

I'll eat my words surely when it gets to streaming, but I can't deal with this character design.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

FilthyImp posted:

My wife and I go out and watch Laikafilms whenever they're in theatres, and eventually buy the blus when they go on sale. But neither of us wants to watch this/own this because the monkeyman is so godawfully ugly.

I'll eat my words surely when it gets to streaming, but I can't deal with this character design.

I really can't see the problem. He's a sasquatch. Big and hairy is kinda their thing

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Comedy response though:

FilthyImp posted:

then why do you own a dvd of your own wedding

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Following from this, if they have adult-targeted (albeit still reasonably kid-appropriate) Transformers stuff coming out that gets adults nutty about that IP, adults are more likely to get their kids into it. And given Hasbro's already got kid-targeted stuff locked down, pretty much, I really can't see any outcome of this other than "they rake in hilarious amounts of money."

I don't like the movies, I am sure you don't like the movies, no one with any nerd cred at all has ever liked the movies and they are all a punchline as worst series ever but the transformers movies are widely successful and are that adult targeted version of transformers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like the real transformers movie from the 80s

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

I like the real transformers movie from the 80s

The other movies do suffer a tragic lack of Lion.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't like the movies, I am sure you don't like the movies, no one with any nerd cred at all has ever liked the movies and they are all a punchline as worst series ever but the transformers movies are widely successful and are that adult targeted version of transformers.

honestly, they're not as bad as most people give them credit for (exception: Revenge of the Fallen, which is as bad, if not worse, than people give it credit for). I really like the third in particular, which is probably the pinnacle of Bayformers as a whole, and a really good example of Bay's style.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Not to change the subject back to Into the Spider-Verse again, but I finally got around to seeing it and I really regret not seeing it in theaters. I was totally blown away. Definitely was the best animated movie of last year.

My only complaint is that Peter Parker never addresses the fact that he's meeting Gwen Stacy. It just seemed like a most obvious comment to include, actually one of the things I expected, and it wasn't there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maybe just as well, given there seems to be a significant age gap between them and Gwen is a teenager?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Andorra posted:

Not to change the subject back to Into the Spider-Verse again, but I finally got around to seeing it and I really regret not seeing it in theaters. I was totally blown away. Definitely was the best animated movie of last year.

My only complaint is that Peter Parker never addresses the fact that he's meeting Gwen Stacy. It just seemed like a most obvious comment to include, actually one of the things I expected, and it wasn't there.

Maybe his relationship with Gwen was more like the Raimi Spidey and he never had that much happen with his universe's Gwen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Maybe his relationship with Gwen was more like the Raimi Spidey and he never had that much happen with his universe's Gwen.

That was the impression I got to be honest. Peter and Peter B were both from Raimi-like universes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

see, that's the thing, they're really not. the first four points are instructive here; adults tend to loving hate the Transformers movies, which isn't exactly energizing them to go buy their kids a whole bunch of Transformers crap. they're pretty much targeted squarely at preteens/teens, honestly, and while they've had success there, it's been limited to specifically stuff based off the movies rather than the franchise as a whole.

when I say adults, I mean adults. I want them to make the kind of thing that could reasonably get nominated for a bunch of awards and make people go "wait, what the gently caress, Transformers is good now?" and, if not abandon the To Sell Toys mentality entirely, stop forcing it so much to the detriment of the show's quality. hell, Bumblebee didn't do great financially, but it's the most positive I've seen anyone be about a piece of TF media in 12 loving years and it basically tried to do this; this is less a radical shift in direction, and more staying the course on the radical shift they already made.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe just as well, given there seems to be a significant age gap between them and Gwen is a teenager?

I don't mean in a romance way, I meant even just some offhand comment like "Hey is there a Gwen Stacy in your universe?" "Uhh...I don't want to talk about that" or anything that would reference a pretty major moment in the comics.

Although yeah you guys are right, since he's mostly based on the movie versions of Peter Parker it makes sense.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Andorra posted:

They did, at least, hint at the reverse, I guess? Spoiling just in case, though I don't think it really spoils anything important to the film: the line where Gwen tells Peter not to interact with Miles's MJ as if it were his own MJ, going "it won't be the same, trust me, I know", it was pretty implicit she was talking about how wildly different she found Peter B. Parker to be from her own dead-by-origin-story friend Peter Parker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Plus, for Peter B Parker Gwen would have been like 30 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It wouldn't have made sense for him to be, like, freaking out like "OH poo poo GWEN'S ALIIIIIIVE"

But like, it would have totally worked for him to notice that Gwen is... Gwen and not an alternate Peter, and be like "huh, that's different, wonder how her Peter's doing"