Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
ruhwibby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think you could easily convince Wooly to voice in ether GenLock or RWBY by offering him a stand and/or super robot.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 25, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Pat talking about how he wishes they had made different design choices in Dishonored because his disability prevents him from enjoying it as much as he wants to. Sorry Pat, changing those things would ruin the core experience for everyone else and ruin the game as an artistic statement about, uh, chaos. Maybe he should stop being a casual who wants things handed to him and play a different game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

Pat talking about how he wishes they had made different design choices in Dishonored because his disability prevents him from enjoying it as much as he wants to. Sorry Pat, changing those things would ruin the core experience for everyone else and ruin the game as an artistic statement about, uh, chaos. Maybe he should stop being a casual who wants things handed to him and play a different game

The chaos system is kind of rear end though

It's better in Dishonored 2 since you have more fun non-lethal tools to gently caress around with. In D1 like 90% of your stuff was solely for murder.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 26, 2019

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Dishonored 1 also originally didn't have any non-lethal options at all, they were only added after playtesting because people kept expecting them

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
There was also the whole thing that you couldn't complete dishonored 1 without using any abilities, which annoyed quite a few thief fans. Other than that I think I spent most of the game just sneaking around people rather than knocking em out.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Nalesh posted:

thief fans
I think this was the main sticking point for me with Dishonored, and why I still haven't finished it. It's weird, because logically I understand that the idea is to stealth as best you can, and use lethal options to fight your way out of mistakes, but when it comes to playing the game, I can't break out of my Thief 'programming.' Guess that's a mind goblin of my own making?

I guess part of the Thief conditioning is that in Thief 1-3 at least, Garrett is a mediocre fighter made of tissue paper. Trying to fight your way out of mistakes is basically death or maiming. Corvo on the other hand is literally a magic alchemical steampunk spec ops soldier. But again, it doesn't seem to click when I've got the controller in my hand.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 26, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That's why you skip to Dishonored 2 where things are far better balanced to be about stealthing as per all the feedback they got.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

That's... not what he was actually saying though. He pinned almost all of the bad time he was having on himself. The only things he even felt comfortable saying were the game's fault were the things they fixed in 2.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

somepartsareme posted:

I see what you are trying to do here but that's not what Pat said about Dishonored

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
he said he thought it was a good game but his ocd stopped him from enjoying it the way he wants to, just struck me as incredibly un-self aware

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

he said he thought it was a good game but his ocd stopped him from enjoying it the way he wants to, just struck me as incredibly un-self aware

iunno, it came across to me like he was aware it was the fault of himself (or his goblins) more then it was the fault of the game, and didn't really broadcast any expectation or desire for the game to change or accommodate him?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, in fact he explicitly said that he was revisiting it as part of a plan to try and fix himself and beat the mind goblins.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
he did point out that a lot of people had the same problems with the game, and they are valid problems cause dishonored wasnt a very good game. i dont think it would be met with rage by him if someone said they should have made the chaos system more clear or some poo poo

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Dabir posted:

Yeah, in fact he explicitly said that he was revisiting it as part of a plan to try and fix himself and beat the mind goblins.

He announced on twitter he was dropping it and was going back to DQ11 in the end.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
DQXI is cool, it's worth a mind goblin or two.

Matt started a MK11 Story Mode playthrough. I enjoyed the first episode but I was also four beers in after watching GoT, so YMMV.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Many laughs were had on today's podcast. I look forward to future collabs with Rooster Teeth, whenever those are announced.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Man, Pat and Woolie's aggressive rejection of Death of the Author is always fascinating to me

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Man, Pat and Woolie's aggressive rejection of Death of the Author is always fascinating to me

They're right. Death of the Author is dumb 90% of the time

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

They're right. Death of the Author is dumb 90% of the time

gonna hard veto that one friend but you do you

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfQuW9h0CcI

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

gonna hard veto that one friend but you do you

death of the author is meaningless masturbation

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
Death of the author isn't an excuse to not know anything, think, or even try to be interesting, but that's what most theories take it as

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

Death of the author isn't an excuse to not know anything, think, or even try to be interesting, but that's what most theories take it as

I dont see it. It's just a rejection of the idea the text is the medium of a message between author and reader.

scary ghost dog posted:

death of the author is meaningless masturbation

Disagree respectfully

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

death of the author....of your posts!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What where they talking about?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I find it hard to give death of the author any real credence especially in a day and age of influencers and most creators being accessible through social media and other poo poo. Also having heard a number of authors, devs, artists, etc. talk about what influenced them and made them feel a certain way about the things they made has always been interesting to me and further complicates doing that poo poo.

Also it's always seemed incredibly masturbatory discussion wise to me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Basically death of the author is the bitcoin of critical literary analysis

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rhonne posted:

What where they talking about?

Last week they mentioned respecting watching something the way the creator intended and this week they mentioned how social media means you can know what everything in a story is supposed to mean instead of "guessing"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

Basically death of the author is the bitcoin of critical literary analysis

That seems fundamentally untrue considering every major modern school implements it. It's hard to imagine post modernism, post structuralism, post colonialism, Marxism, feminism, etc. operating while rejecting death of the author

Like how do you do a post colonial reading of Heart of Darkness or a Marxist reading of Austen without also using DOA

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Sometimes what an author says about their work and what the work actually says are two completely different things

See, for example, the Rising of the Shield Hero's author many attempts to act like he's not writing a story where the protagonist is directly complicity in slavery

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's hard to imagine post modernism, post structuralism, post colonialism, Marxism, feminism, etc. operating while rejecting death of the author

i came

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
People conflate Death of the Author with "what the author wanted to say actually doesn't matter", but that's not what it is. You can have a materialistic reading of a text while still accepting the concept.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
(The Idea comes from a short rear end essay too, if you wanna get it from the source)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dias posted:

People conflate Death of the Author with "what the author wanted to say actually doesn't matter", but that's not what it is. You can have a materialistic reading of a text while still accepting the concept.

Yeah that's a pretty poor understanding of it so I can see why some people would react negatively to the idea. It's not so much that the authors intent doesnt matter as much as authorial intent is not authoritative

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dias posted:

(The Idea comes from a short rear end essay too, if you wanna get it from the source)

Barthes 24/7/365

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
shocked to learn that middle aged manchildren whose cultural diet consists exclusively of video games, anime and superhero movies aren't familiar with continental schools of literary theory. very surprising. curious. shocked. things that make you go "hmm" --but in a sincere way, not in the sarcastic way how that phrase is usually intended.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Death of the Author is an interesting intellectual tool which, like so many other things, is utterly ruined by Dunning-Kruger addled morons on the internet. And the people who encourage them because they are overly impressed by verbosity.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bonaventure posted:

shocked to learn that middle aged manchildren whose cultural diet consists exclusively of video games, anime and superhero movies aren't familiar with continental schools of literary theory. very surprising. curious. shocked. things that make you go "hmm" --but in a sincere way, not in the sarcastic way how that phrase is usually intended.

please, I don't watch superhero movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That seems fundamentally untrue considering every major modern school implements it. It's hard to imagine post modernism, post structuralism, post colonialism, Marxism, feminism, etc. operating while rejecting death of the author

Like how do you do a post colonial reading of Heart of Darkness or a Marxist reading of Austen without also using DOA

every major economics school teaches austerity so im going to regard death of the author as the literary version of reaganomics