Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
It's back! (Spotted at my local costco in Charlottesville, VA)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tell me more about ham in a box

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
That's a weird looking banana hanger

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

That's a weird looking banana hanger

Fred Durst posted:

I did it all for the cooking (yeah!)
Come on, the cooking (yeah!)
Come on, the cooking
So you can take that hanger and stick it up your ham

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm a ham in the box
Buried in my salt
Won't you come and shave me?
Shave me.

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017
doing my first real church visit tmrw, need advice, we just moved and I’m still setting up our pantry/etc (last place had lovely roommates & we couldn’t really use the kitchen much at all)

already got the super obvious poo poo like tp and paper towels when we went to set up membership & scope it out but need pro tips.... someone early in the thread I think said their olive oil was actually real good?? but I had skipped it cause I’m sus about olive oils, gimme that kinda good noob advice pls, PBUC

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Jamon serrano is some of the best in the world and $100 is an extremely fair price. Do you have specific questions?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

THOT PATROL posted:

doing my first real church visit tmrw, need advice, we just moved and I’m still setting up our pantry/etc (last place had lovely roommates & we couldn’t really use the kitchen much at all)

already got the super obvious poo poo like tp and paper towels when we went to set up membership & scope it out but need pro tips.... someone early in the thread I think said their olive oil was actually real good?? but I had skipped it cause I’m sus about olive oils, gimme that kinda good noob advice pls, PBUC

The key to good olive oil is just making sure the olives are sourced from the same country. I'd argue it matters significantly less which country and more that all of the olives came from the same place. That's pretty much it. The Kirkland oil has codes imprinted into the bottle but it's generally 5-8 countries' olives mixed together so it isn't that great. Aldi has the cheapest single-sourced olive oil in my area so I go with that instead of Costco.

Keep an eye on things that end in $x.97 because they're on clearance. Sometimes you can get real killer 60-80% off deals on clearance stuff and it's not really limited by department. We've hit the jackpot on some things like $2.97 for five pounds of organic beans, $3.97 for a month's worth of mini deserts, a giant box of stuffing that has a few individually-packaged boxes inside for $1.97, a huge bag of popcorn chips for $1.97, video games for $9.97, or a couple pairs of work gloves for $4.97. They sell packs of Naked Juice for like $15 but they inevitably go on clearance for $3.97 so you're a fool to buy them at full price.

Normandy veggies in the freezer are pretty good. Someone posted a pro tip to line a baking pan with foil, throw veggies on, drizzle oil, salt, and pepper and bake for a while. Don't skip out on those if you're fine with frozen veggies because they're very good.

If you like scotch and live in an area where the gubment doesn't price booze, I see three packs of 12+ year single malts for $90-100 a couple of times per year.

Don't get the take and bake pizzas. They're bad. Anyone talking praise about Costco pizza is referring to the food court pizza.

If you're eating or waiting for samples, kindly move off to the side instead of just blocking the end of the aisle like a barbarian.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 26, 2019

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017
oh hot drat that’s a good post thank u

not buying booze, no premade meals or w/e (maybe like one thing as a treat lol), I’m going hard on trying to make as much from scratch as possible rn

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

costco chicken is a godsend.

my favorite thing are the giant bags of stir fry veggies.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Jamon serrano is some of the best in the world and $100 is an extremely fair price. Do you have specific questions?

Jamon just means ham so you can call it that for short

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Fallom posted:

"I would like some of your finest ham of the sierra please" even though the $600 or whatever jamon exists

FizFashizzle posted:

costco chicken is a godsend.

Oh yeah I forgot about the chicken. Especially if you're making meals yourself, a thawed package of that chicken and a pressure cooker means you're ten minutes away from an easy meal. We do most of our grocery shopping between Aldi and Costco and the one thing I can't do is get meat from a place without a deli, so all the ground beef, chicken, etc. comes from 'co. We got some pork a month ago for $1.99/lb and still have enough for at least four more meals for under $10 total. A couple of months ago they had 4 pounds of ground bison for the price of 5 pounds of ground beef and it was a lot better than the bison I've cooked with previously. I wish we'd bought more and thrown it in the freezer.

There are also staples you might wanna get at Costco but probably aren't a great idea, even if they are technically cheaper. Aluminum foil and parchment paper rolls are cheaper but who wants to lug around an artillery shell every time they need to line a pan?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Bloodplay it again posted:

even though the $600 or whatever jamon exists

Iberico, and yes, it really is that good.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Fallom posted:

Yo se. I was being specific because I knew that somebody would mention jamon Iberico.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
*Kool-Aids through nearby wall*

did i hear someone talkinG ABOUT SOME JAMON!?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bloodplay it again posted:

The key to good olive oil is just making sure the olives are sourced from the same country. I'd argue it matters significantly less which country and more that all of the olives came from the same place. That's pretty much it. The Kirkland oil has codes imprinted into the bottle but it's generally 5-8 countries' olives mixed together so it isn't that great. Aldi has the cheapest single-sourced olive oil in my area so I go with that instead of Costco.

The Kirkland Organic Olive Oil is legit. It's all from Tuscany and has been rated really high, as well as qualifying in the US as true olive oil. Something like 50%+ of olive oil in the US isn't actually 100% olive oil at all. It's a mix of things like rapeseed oil. Some are worse.

Don't gently caress around with olive oil. Make sure you're getting the real stuff. You'll have to research each individual product.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Why is it so expensive and in a box? What makes it different from cheaper supermarket ham?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The Kirkland Organic Olive Oil is legit. It's all from Tuscany and has been rated really high, as well as qualifying in the US as true olive oil. Something like 50%+ of olive oil in the US isn't actually 100% olive oil at all. It's a mix of things like rapeseed oil. Some are worse.

Don't gently caress around with olive oil. Make sure you're getting the real stuff. You'll have to research each individual product.

Wrong. The Kirkland organic is from like 5 different countries. You want Kirkland 100% Italian. Ignore this idiot. Don’t buy the organ oil, unless you’re poor because the organ oil is cheaper than the 100% Italian.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

RZA Encryption posted:

Why is it so expensive and in a box? What makes it different from cheaper supermarket ham?

It’s like the Spanish version of prosciutto.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

The organic stuff isn't sold at my local store. The Kirkland Signature non-organic is olive oil sourced from various countries. This is the stuff sold here and there's a list of country codes next to the UPC. We don't have either of the organic or Italian EVOO offerings either. :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bum the Sad posted:

Wrong. The Kirkland organic is from like 5 different countries. You want Kirkland 100% Italian. Ignore this idiot. Don’t buy the organ oil, unless you’re poor because the organ oil is cheaper than the 100% Italian.

Don't say poo poo about stuff that you don't know what your talking about.

This Expert Says Some Of The Best Olive Oil Comes From Costco

The Most (and Least) Fake Extra Virgin Olive Oil Brands

Fake Olive Oil is EVERYWHERE! Here Are 7 Popular Brands You Should Stop Buying NOW

Costco's olive oil is celebrated by experts

This Cooking Expert Says the Best Olive Oil Comes From Costco

Which are the Best Olive Oils to Buy? Real Olive Oils vs Fake Exposed

There's plenty more of these.

Here's their regular olive oil that I have.

edit: it's old, I need to replace it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i prefer their avocado oil

it has the bonus of being at a higher smoke point and costing half as much as what safeway wants for the stuff

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Cheap supermarket ham is typically a refrigerated product made of chopped and pressed pork, cured and packaged in brine. This (and most European hams) have been dry cured, do not require refrigeration, and often are a specific type of pig fed a specific diet, frequently acorns.

Also, my math says that this whole set is $7.14/lb. That is OBSCENELY cheap. That is cheaper than the "nice" ham in the deli at my local Safeway, and that poo poo doesn't include a carving board and knife.

For context:

This is from a meat shop in Granada.

A neighborhood pub with ubiquitous jamon.

Jamon is life.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If you want to get actual olive oil, just don't buy Italian.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Lol you didn’t read any of those links. None refuted what I said. Fuckin dope.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Nearly all "Italian" olive oil contains oil from other countries and a ton of it has non-olive and even non-food oils in it. Why would you insist on Italian olive oil when that isn't even what you're getting?

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

just lmao if you don't use the cheapest possible canola for all your oil needs. any other hipster oil is forbidden.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That guy definitely yells “it’s toe-SCANO” as he presents his Costco oil to his guests

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Whooping Crabs posted:

It's back! (Spotted at my local costco in Charlottesville, VA)

Will this keep for months on the pantry shelf at home until I get enough cool peeps over to cut into it and eat it all at once?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

Will this keep for months on the pantry shelf at home until I get enough cool peeps over to cut into it and eat it all at once?

Yes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bum the Sad posted:

Lol you didn’t read any of those links. None refuted what I said. Fuckin dope.

Did you read the actual bottle? All from Tuscany.

Quit being a loving prick.

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017
this kind of poo poo is why I don’t buy bulk or expensive olive oil and always get to the grocery store when I need some and think “ugh, next time I’ll research olive oil before I get here”

e: on the other hand Italian regional classifications are actually pretty serious business, at least if it’s anything like wine, so that’s probably enough to get me to buy it for convenience if they have something with that

THOT PATROL fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 27, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The middle class signaling of researching and debating store brand olive oil is really loving funny though

Like nobody on either side of the income curve would spend time giving a poo poo

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Did you read the actual bottle? All from Tuscany.

Quit being a loving prick.

That’s not the Kirkland organic you dummy. You can’t read worth a poo poo.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bum the Sad posted:

That’s not the Kirkland organic you dummy. You can’t read worth a poo poo.
/
Quit being a loving prick. The gently caress is your problem?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

/
Quit being a loving prick. The gently caress is your problem?

Lol getting mad after you’ve been proved horribly wrong. Just apologize and move on.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bum the Sad posted:

Lol getting mad after you’ve been proved horribly wrong. Just apologize and move on.

I haven't been proven wrong. I even mentioned that the stuff I have isn't the organic one. :aaa:

And all of the articles said Kirkland was one of the best.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

I haven't been proven wrong. I even mentioned that the stuff I have isn't the organic one. :aaa:

And all of the articles said Kirkland was one of the best.

You stated that the organic is all from one country. It’s not. Then you posted a bottle of the non organic as evidence

:aaa:

The Kirkland Organic Olive Oil is legit. It's all from Tuscany a
Again, loving dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bum the Sad posted:

You stated that the organic is all from one country. It’s not. Then you posted a bottle of the non organic as evidence

:aaa:

Maybe I got the two screwed up.

I can admit I'm wrong. You're still a dick.