Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
The joke of course being that King, the weakest hero in the story, cannot get a single person to train him, while Saitama, the strongest hero in the story, has people actively seeking him out to train him. Something about One's style and delivery always gets me to laugh. I hope we get some regular updates for a bit here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Really shows how little you're paying attention, since King is the strongest hero in the story, not Saitama.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I was kinda hoping that Saitama would tell King to go train with Garou, but this is also good lol.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Batmasterson posted:

The joke of course being that King, the weakest hero in the story, cannot get a single person to train him, while Saitama, the strongest hero in the story, has people actively seeking him out to train him. Something about One's style and delivery always gets me to laugh. I hope we get some regular updates for a bit here.

:allears: a joke that works on at least five levels, especially because saitama’s training advice is the best advice

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saitama slamming the door at the end was so great.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I have missed proper joke pacing.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I have missed proper joke pacing.

It's so good! I love joke!!!

I'm looking forward for all the garou stuff to be adapted finally though, I'm sure it'll be great when it actually, you know, gets there.. Too bad we never get a good anime for it :(

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Death Bot posted:

It's so good! I love joke!!!

I'm looking forward for all the garou stuff to be adapted finally though, I'm sure it'll be great when it actually, you know, gets there.. Too bad we never get a good anime for it :(

maybe madhouse will get s3

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Kild posted:

maybe madhouse will get s3

Bold of you to assume OPM will get more anime.

Even more bold of you to assume an s3 would get to the good Garou bits, that poo poo would be like 3 cours from where this anime will end at the earliest.

But boldest of all of ONE to put out such a terrific chapter. I missed this stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I want this to somehow end up with Garou training King.

I forgot that the ONE version was past the Garou saga and this was really funny at first.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The anime for S2 isn't that bad. It's not MadHouse, but it isn't bad.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
it's extremely bad op, it sucks extremely at being an animated tv show. the story and characters are of course still good.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

The anime for S2 isn't that bad. It's not MadHouse, but it isn't bad.

gently caress off!!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

gently caress off!!

Nope.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It’s not great compared to season 1, but that was a once in a lifetime passion project by all of the director’s friends.

Compared to most anime out there airing weekly, season 2 looks fine. Not spectacular, but OK.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nanigans posted:

Compared to most anime out there airing weekly, season 2 looks fine. Not spectacular, but OK.
It's baffling how the OP from the first season really stuck out, had great visuals, and did something more unique than normal by not just lifting scenes from the source material and instead decided to just convey the strength, loneliness, and hype of Saitama. Then Season 2 decided that they needed to be like everyone else and just show you what is going to happen and who is going to show up through mostly static of incredibly short snippets.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Animation is stupidly expensive and ROI is the king concern. OPM is popular, absolutely, but so was Dragon Ball Super and it had legendarily bad animation. But people still watched.

OPM season 1 (and both seasons of MP100) really are outliers.

Bones to me reminds me of Arc System Works—they obviously have decent budgets, but somehow produce stuff that seems like they had triple the resources.

Would I love a studio like Bones to handle OPM? Of course. But I’m also aware of how super high quality shows are definitely not the norm, so I’ll keep watching OPM and supporting ONE and Murata and hope that season 3 in 2025 will look better.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nanigans posted:

It’s not great compared to season 1, but that was a once in a lifetime passion project by all of the director's friends.

So as someone who knows poo poo all about this: what prevented this same team of people to just do the same thing again? Like if they were passionate enough to make it the first time, why not just keep going, instead of letting it* turn into poo poo?

*obviously not blaming any of them because I doubt they had any control, just genuinely curious how this kind of thing happens in the first place but then quickly becomes untenable

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

So as someone who knows poo poo all about this: what prevented this same team of people to just do the same thing again? Like if they were passionate enough to make it the first time, why not just keep going, instead of letting it* turn into poo poo?

*obviously not blaming any of them because I doubt they had any control, just genuinely curious how this kind of thing happens in the first place but then quickly becomes untenable

They don't have the same director, therefore they don't have the same freelancers the director knew

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering what a production nightmare Season 2 seems to have been with the rolling blackouts screwing the studio up I'm surprised the show is animated at all.

Knowing that the animation industry is almost as big of a hell as the gaming industry for actual developers and animators, "good enough" is the general order of the day. I think that we as consumers should be able to demand better than the crap that gets shoveled our way but not at the expense of workers' well-being. It still sucks that the show looks like rear end though.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

JC Stuff usually is fine its just uh I'm sure this thing was a production nightmare just based off the fact the PV was ep 1 only and released like 2 weeks before airing.

Like compare this to Railgun S.

Kild fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 19, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Guy A. Person posted:

The team was all freelancers brought together by a Director. That is usually the case in most projects. For Season 1, it was helmed by a pretty beloved director, and they were given enough time to truly flex their muscles and make something magical.

Being freelancers, they must always be looking for new work, because nothing is guaranteed. That means that a lot of times, projects come that people want to get into, but are unable to due to conflicting schedule.

For Season 2, I am going to do some conjecture, but I believe that the Committee, that is the group of sponsors who bankroll and make final calls on these projects, wanted to keep the train going and in 2017 announced the second season because they thought it was a sure deal. Then as time went on during that year, things fell apart. Maybe the studio cancelled with them because they had too many projects, maybe the director couldn't fit OPM into his work at all. For whatever reason, JC Studio was hired at some point last year instead, and they scrambled to get a production going that ended up what it is today.

tl;dr people are trying to make a buck as freelancers in this industry, so scheduling is always up in the air and OPM S2 got bad luck.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Even more bold of you to assume an s3 would get to the good Garou bits, that poo poo would be like 3 cours from where this anime will end at the earliest
You say that, but I've been watching VOLN try and cram 38 volumes of story into 24 episodes, and somehow have an entire Cour dedicated to the last 5 volumes of Karakuri Circus. There's no logic to pacing for an adaptation, whoever gets Season 3 you can be sure they will have to make a blitz for any and all the good fights and cram the rest into it however they can. The 2nd episode of Season 2 already felt like that honestly.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://galaxyheavyblow.web.fc2.com/fc2-imageviewer/?aid=1&iid=113

Chapter 112 is out.

Hopefully translation is out soon.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

amazing, he literally just scaled up the doodle. i love it

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

also heres the TL
https://mangadex.org/chapter/597494/2

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Talking behind a door is the ultimate anti-murata technique. Absolutely incredible.

I wonder if the name puns are really funny in Japanese.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Burbo posted:

amazing, he literally just scaled up the doodle. i love it

This is beautiful.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
closing the door made me laugh a lot harder than it should have

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Billzasilver posted:

Talking behind a door is the ultimate anti-murata technique. Absolutely incredible.
It's going to be the most exquisitely drawn door ever put in a manga. And it's going to be redrawn every single panel.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlestonJew posted:

The comedic timing on it was perfect.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

same lmao

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The comedic timing reminded me of the Saitama-tossing-Tatsumaki-out gag comic.

The flat, apathetic camera angle is perfect.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm so glad ONE is back

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Exploitable

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

I laughed out loud at that panel :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I hope ONE can keep the webcomic going for a while because gently caress me, it's just amazing.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Did anyone else completely skip flashy flash’s long speech to saitama?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I hope ONE can keep the webcomic going for a while because gently caress me, it's just amazing.

He must have been inspired and maybe bored because he finished his main manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Although it's a joke that's kinda buried under a lot of other gags in that chapter, I love how Genos just, without contest, buys into the premise that they will repair a sword with tape. Genos, who has a very visceral, personal relationship with metallurgy, smithing and repairing, and also has probably enough money to cover for Flashy's sword.