Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Otteration posted:

Don't remember the exact history, but the common cold may have started off as thoroughly fatal, but evolved into one of huge genetic successes* after it stopped killing it's hosts.

Hoping time will do the same to ebola, HIV, and the various super bacteria if we don't figure them out first. :(

Syphilis. It used to kill tons of people and supposedly evolved so it's not such a fast-killing thing. Hard to infect another host if you keep killing them before they can make another person sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I had pet leeches until my cat ate them all

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Pick posted:

I had pet leeches until my cat ate them all

Now it's called...Josh Allen

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Otteration posted:

As with most pathogenic organisms, it's kind of unhealthy for your offspring if they kill off their hosts before they can produce their own offspring. Not aware of any maggots that eat living tissue, but if there are any, they're probably rare. Would not keep maggots as pets, but if there are any people that do, they too are probably rare.

Don't remember the exact history, but the common cold may have started off as thoroughly fatal, but evolved into one of huge genetic successes* after it stopped killing it's hosts.

Hoping time will do the same to ebola, HIV, and the various super bacteria if we don't figure them out first. :(

*Corn may be the hugeist easy genetic success to track, BTW, by far (note how it doesn't kill it's host!).

(Besides e coli, and all our other happy gut friends.) :)

A maggot is just a term for fly larve. Boyfly larve most definitely eat living tissue and are maggots.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Boyflies will be boyflies

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Scathach posted:

Syphilis. It used to kill tons of people and supposedly evolved so it's not such a fast-killing thing. Hard to infect another host if you keep killing them before they can make another person sick.

Usually the nastiest, killiest viruses don't evolve in whatever it is they're killing. This is why things like swine flu are so nasty; human flu doesn't want to kill you for exactly that reason so it usually doesn't unless you're dealing with some other issue. Mostly you'll just have a lovely few days or a week or two and then you'll be fine. Same with swine flu for pigs; it doesn't do much other than make them miserable for a while and then they're fine.

But when swine flu mutates just enough to infect a human it isn't where it belongs so it fucks you up really badly. HIV succeeded in spreading because it takes so long to kill its host but really doesn't have much effect early on. The current thought is that it originated in chimps and somebody hunted and ate a chimp that was infected with a version that mutated just enough to jump species. It really doesn't do a lot to chimps but fucks up humans really badly.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A maggot is just a term for fly larve. Boyfly larve most definitely eat living tissue and are maggots.

I thought botflies just burrowed in as part of their maturation process? Reminds me of at least two incidents, one more recently on twitter, where an entomologist studying in a tropical area ended up with a botfly strike and were excited to see themselves parasitized and watch their larval pal mature.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Phlegmish posted:

Boyflies will be boyflies

It's the drat fuccboiflies that get me

Pathetic

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yep, sorry, forgot to mention the boy bots. They don't typically infect en masse like e.g., house flies though. I hear they'll be at Pride in Minneapolis this summer though, so that'll be fun. :)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Usually the nastiest, killiest viruses don't evolve in whatever it is they're killing. This is why things like swine flu are so nasty; human flu doesn't want to kill you for exactly that reason so it usually doesn't unless you're dealing with some other issue. Mostly you'll just have a lovely few days or a week or two and then you'll be fine. Same with swine flu for pigs; it doesn't do much other than make them miserable for a while and then they're fine.

But when swine flu mutates just enough to infect a human it isn't where it belongs so it fucks you up really badly. HIV succeeded in spreading because it takes so long to kill its host but really doesn't have much effect early on. The current thought is that it originated in chimps and somebody hunted and ate a chimp that was infected with a version that mutated just enough to jump species. It really doesn't do a lot to chimps but fucks up humans really badly.

Oops, also forgot to mention that I was only thinking about long-term theoretical trends. Viruses and bacteria reproduce and mutate so quickly they can and do mutate against their theoretical greater long-term interests all the time, sometimes randomly in our guts (yak!). Of course, our antibiotic overuse will play out three ways or another....bacteria kill us all off (yak!), we kill all of them off (not!), or we find a middle way (happy guts for all!). Life will go on, somehow in any case.

Edit: Maybe?

Otteration has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Apr 28, 2019

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there's a kind of maggot that will absolutely eat you alive, it's called a screwworm. there was a successful program to exterminate them in the USA and in Latin America but I think they are starting to come back now. I only learned about them because long ago I read a sci fi story called the Screwfly Solution in which alien invaders apply the screwfly program to humans.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

uber_stoat posted:

there's a kind of maggot that will absolutely eat you alive, it's called a screwworm. there was a successful program to exterminate them in the USA and in Latin America but I think they are starting to come back now. I only learned about them because long ago I read a sci fi story called the Screwfly Solution in which alien invaders apply the screwfly program to humans.

Screwfly Solution was also made into a Masters of Horror episode that's worth checking out!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

uber_stoat posted:

Coldly Compiled Lists › PYF Creepy Images Thread: Do Yourself A Favor, Never GIS 'Screwworm Infestation'

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Someone trained a neural network (pix2pix) to take input and adapt it to a specified output, in this case “Turn these sketches into human faces”. Janelle Shane of aiweirdness.com calls this set “Pix 2 Abomination.”

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Please don't post the dick pics I pm'd you.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

jobson groeth posted:

Please don't post the dick pics I pm'd you.

This?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

At least post my seasonal one

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lampreys are cool, though. All the other jawless fishes (besides hagfish, of course) have been gone for millions of years, but they keep truckin'.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Awww, they look so apologetic for being a legless lizard (or whatever that is)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Scale-less snake!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

He looks like he's freezing. Put a sweater on him!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Sssssseath the Scaleless.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Busket Posket posted:

Someone trained a neural network (pix2pix) to take input and adapt it to a specified output, in this case “Turn these sketches into human faces”. Janelle Shane of aiweirdness.com calls this set “Pix 2 Abomination.”

AllTomorrows sequel looking baller

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
BigGAN, show me horses. Oh, you don’t have parameters for “horse” but you do have “horse cart” — let’s do that!

Hmm. We need fancy horses! Mix in some hornbills and flamingos!

Too fancy! Dial it back! Mix “horse cart” with “anemone fish” and “great grey owl.”

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
My wife was over my shoulder, looked at the screen then said "nope, enough of that" and walked away when your post came up.

So, kudos.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why, was your monitor off

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Milo and POTUS posted:

oh holky gently caress

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hahaha

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

The best "turn your monitor on/off" joke I've seen in ages :discourse:

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
It's true. I'm now divorced. Thanks Richard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This fish looks like it got bullied in middle school a lot.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Otteration posted:

I am not a microbiologist, but as far as I understand the reason that there is no cure for "the common cold", is that there is no singular cold virus, instead a million or three different viruses that have as their symptoms minor sore throats and the sniffles. So without extensive testing there is no way to know which specific one you have. So the best option is to just treat the symptoms and let it blow over, as the viruses/bacteria are no longer life threatening.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

JGdmn posted:

It's true. I'm now divorced. Thanks Richard.

Did you show her how you brought laughter and merriment to all (by getting owned)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol if you're not a basal vertebrate.

just lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Imagine not having jaws lol

That fish (if you can call it that) will probably cry when it reads these posts

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phlegmish posted:

Imagine not having jaws lol

That fish (if you can call it that) will probably cry when it reads these posts

I guess you could include them under fish, but you'd probably have to include the entire tetrapod clade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Randaconda posted:

Lampreys are cool, though. All the other jawless fishes (besides hagfish, of course) have been gone for millions of years, but they keep truckin'.

I saw a segment on lampreys where they used their horrible sucky mouths to move river rocks to make nests for their eggs. They instantly went from from :gonk: to :3: for me.