Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Well that settles it -- thank you all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It would be nice if there was a whole Potato Salad thread, but Im unsure it will get many/any replies.

I'm looking for excellent Potato Salad recipes, award winning potato salads and even your Dream Potato Salad Recipes.

Thank you.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I need to cut back my rosemary bushes here soon as they've gotten out of control. Is there anything delicious I can do with like a wheelbarrow full of rosemary? I don't have a charcoal grill but I do use my gas grill alot. Could I like smoke stuff with rosemary sticks in there or something?

You can use a rosemary...branch?...as a basting brush to impart additional flavor and not have to clean a brush.

The quantity you're describing sounds like something you'd take to a producer of essential oils, but I think you're going to be hard pressed to find anything culinary to do with that much rosemary unless you want to freeze or dehydrate it and stretch it out over time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

immortalyawn posted:

It would be nice if there was a whole Potato Salad thread, but Im unsure it will get many/any replies.

I'm looking for excellent Potato Salad recipes, award winning potato salads and even your Dream Potato Salad Recipes.

Thank you.

it's not the "ultimate" potato salad but i liked this one when i made it a couple years ago

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BraveUlysses posted:

it's not the "ultimate" potato salad but i liked this one when i made it a couple years ago

Sounds delicious. One time I heard the funniest joke! I laughed.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm a pretty big fan of Korean potato salad.

Haven't used this recipe specifically, but it looks pclose to what I do.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BrianBoitano posted:

Sounds delicious. One time I heard the funniest joke! I laughed.

im so fuckin stupid i forgot to paste the link

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/08/grilled-jalapeno-potato-salad-recipe.html

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I'm trying to plan out dinner for tonight and the only idea I have right now is roasted curry carrots. What would be a good vegetarian main dish to add to this delicious side?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm trying to plan out dinner for tonight and the only idea I have right now is roasted curry carrots. What would be a good vegetarian main dish to add to this delicious side?

Kinda want to just eat a big plate of roasted carrots now...

Maybe some kind of chickpea-based dish? Something like couscous (or cauliflower rice) and chickpeas and roasted asparagus/fennel/etc for a salad-y main dish. Squeeze of lemon and some herbs in a vinaigrette. Add some blue or goat cheese crumbles.

BBQ tofu slices (put in some pita) also seem like it might work for this.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
For a main with the carrot situation, go the road of the daal and rice. Red lentils cooked in water, tomato, garlic, onion, ginger, crushed coriander seed, and crushed cumin seed. If you’re feeling fancy, fry the aromatics in the oil of your choice along with the crushed spices. If you’re feeling extra fancy, throw in some chopped tomato when the onions are softened, and then add the red lentils and water. Finish off the daal with either basil or chopped cilantro.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Daal is almost always the answer...

What shall I have with my carrot curry? Daal

What’s a good way to calm down after a long day at work? DAAL

How can I spice things up in the bedroom? DAAAAAAAAL

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Scientastic posted:

How can I spice things up in the bedroom? DAAAAAAAAL

Daal usually just causes laughter, complaints, and blaming the dog in my bedroom

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
daal flavored luuuuube

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I ended up going with some regular-degular jasmine rice (cooked with ginger, garlic, and green onions) and some pre-made oven-bake vegetables samosas from Trader Joe's, but I have a bunch of leftover carrots and rice so I think I'll make some daal tonight. Thanks thread!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BraveUlysses posted:

daal flavored luuuuube

That is literally just daal, what the gently caress are you talking about?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone have any favorite interesting dips/spreads to have on crackers etc. while playing cards? If people claiming to be on a diet could pretend they were on their diet that would be even better, but delicious mayonnaise/cream cheese based concoctions are also welcome. Hummus and salsa are sort of obvious, but I'm just not really feeling that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone have any favorite interesting dips/spreads to have on crackers etc. while playing cards? If people claiming to be on a diet could pretend they were on their diet that would be even better, but delicious mayonnaise/cream cheese based concoctions are also welcome. Hummus and salsa are sort of obvious, but I'm just not really feeling that.

I did a mango and cream cheese spread on plantain chips with a garnish of mint that was a hit. You could easily do that on sweet potato chips or something as well.

A habanero jelly on savory crackers. Port wine / cheese spreads with pecans or walnuts on crackers...

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

I did a mango and cream cheese spread on plantain chips with a garnish of mint that was a hit. You could easily do that on sweet potato chips or something as well.

A habanero jelly on savory crackers. Port wine / cheese spreads with pecans or walnuts on crackers...
I think really I came here hoping someone would confirm that red pepper jelly on top of a block of cream cheese is actually the best thing to put on crackers and you have in a roundabout way confirmed that.

Do tell me more about these port wine and cheese spreads. Could I just like smush some port into some Stilton or something?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cajun crab dip is the bomb and a lot of grocery stores sell it pre-made.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Muhammara -roasted red pepper and walnut dip

breaks
May 12, 2001

Caponata is delish and easy

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Does anyone have a go-to omurice recipe? I know it's very trashy and weeby, but I have a lot of eggs and rice to get through.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Totally Reasonable posted:

Does anyone have a go-to omurice recipe? I know it's very trashy and weeby, but I have a lot of eggs and rice to get through.
Omurice is just an omelette with an accent and you shouldn't approach omelettes as something you have a recipe for, it's something you have techniques for. They're also not trashy or anything like that. Don't feel like you have to apologise for what you want to cook.

Anyway, the only real gimmick with omurice, at least as far as I know, is that you use day-old rice and toast it in some oil before throwing in whatever else you want to add. Which should be just whatever the hell you have on hand, although traditional fried rice combos work well. And once you've cooked your fried rice you dump it into a bowl and kinda compress it into a bowl-shaped lump, which you then invert on a plate, leaving the bowl there while you do the eggs. Which is more or less just straight making an omelette. Only without a bunch of poo poo in it (because all your poo poo it already in the rice). When the eggs are ready, you pull the bowl off the rice like a snooty French waiter revealing a culinary pièce de résistance in a Looney Toon. Then put the eggs on the lump of rice. Done.

If you get tired of omelettes and still have eggs and rice, oyakodon is another good way to go through 'em.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Do you have a good recipe that uses strawberry puree? I pureed some strawberries this morning but then I remembered I washed some eggs in that bowl last week, so I want to heat it up before I eat it just to be safe.

My first thought was mixing it into pancake dough, but the internet says that's a bad idea.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think really I came here hoping someone would confirm that red pepper jelly on top of a block of cream cheese is actually the best thing to put on crackers and you have in a roundabout way confirmed that.

Do tell me more about these port wine and cheese spreads. Could I just like smush some port into some Stilton or something?

I've only bought them at the store but basically yeah just soft cheese with some port blended in and rolled in a coating of nuts. Lotta room for variations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

pidan posted:

Do you have a good recipe that uses strawberry puree? I pureed some strawberries this morning but then I remembered I washed some eggs in that bowl last week, so I want to heat it up before I eat it just to be safe.

My first thought was mixing it into pancake dough, but the internet says that's a bad idea.

Make danishes? Hit that puree with some sugar and starch to thicken it up and it'll survive as a baked filling.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Yea, danishes would be good. Could also do a (baked) cheesecake?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Stir smoked salmon into a paste with a bit of sour cream and some finely minced onion, dill, and parsley

Smash up some soft boiled eggs with a small amount of butter to hold hold it together and some chives and black pepper

Mix some poached shrimp (or crayfish tails but gently caress peeling a hundred crayfish just for a sandwich spread) with like one fifth their weight in sour cream or mayonnaise, mix with lemon juice and peel, dill, salt and pepper, minced red onion, and some roe if you have any.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Make danishes? Hit that puree with some sugar and starch to thicken it up and it'll survive as a baked filling.

Waci posted:

Yea, danishes would be good. Could also do a (baked) cheesecake?

Baking was definitely the right idea. I ended up making simple brownies, and replaced one of three eggs and all of the 50ml of water from the recipe with my 200ml of strawberry puree. In retrospect I should have reduced the sugar, too. Tasted good and fruity, if you like a modified brownie.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

pidan posted:

I took the children strawberry picking last summer, and we had so much that I puréed a load of them and made ice cream. It was amazing. Do that.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

SubG posted:

Omurice is just an omelette with an accent and you shouldn't approach omelettes as something you have a recipe for, it's something you have techniques for. They're also not trashy or anything like that. Don't feel like you have to apologise for what you want to cook.

Anyway, the only real gimmick with omurice, at least as far as I know, is that you use day-old rice and toast it in some oil before throwing in whatever else you want to add. Which should be just whatever the hell you have on hand, although traditional fried rice combos work well. And once you've cooked your fried rice you dump it into a bowl and kinda compress it into a bowl-shaped lump, which you then invert on a plate, leaving the bowl there while you do the eggs. Which is more or less just straight making an omelette. Only without a bunch of poo poo in it (because all your poo poo it already in the rice). When the eggs are ready, you pull the bowl off the rice like a snooty French waiter revealing a culinary pièce de résistance in a Looney Toon. Then put the eggs on the lump of rice. Done.

If you get tired of omelettes and still have eggs and rice, oyakodon is another good way to go through 'em.

And if you really feel like you need more guidance just search for cooking with dog omurice.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

SubG posted:

Omurice is just an omelette with an accent

Make fried rice, add ketchup.

Put it in an omelette.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Update on that wrong cherry tree I got a week and a half ago:

taqueso posted:

Amazon will cover you, if they don't respond in some amount of time (72hrs i think) you can get paid back from amazon.

I messaged the company awhile back and they never responded. It’s been way more than 72 hours at this point. What I do now?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Go to the Amazon Returns Center here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/orc/returns/homepage.html/ref=orc_surl_ret_hp?ref_=orc_spr_home_page_rdr&fg=1

Follow its flow. It should take you to the returns policy page for the vendor you ordered from, and provide further instruction.

Edit: Does the nursery you ordered it from have their own website with a contact section. Easier to get traction if you're on the phone talking to a human live.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 28, 2019

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I have a ~500ml aluminium foil takeaway container, how long do I have to steam it to completely reheat the block of frozen food inside it? I've tried a lot of different ways to reheat these (I don't have a microwave):

- Shoving it in an oven at 180c for ~30-45 mins with foil over the top kinda works, but badly. I still have cold bits in the centre (and I can get burning around the edges, and the top if there's no foil there)
- Putting it in the instantpot gets it heated super fast, with the caveat that the added water kinda makes whatever I've reheated runny, so I need to then boil away the water
- I'm trying a new method where I put the foil container into a pan with water at the bottom, and then leave it with the lid on for ~30 minutes but I'm not sure how well this will work...

Turns out if you wanna reheat a massive block of frozen food really quick, just put it in a large pan that has enough water at the bottom, then stick the foil tray (or whatever) inside, close the lid, then leave it for 20 minutes. Whole thing reheats really fast, but it's a bit iffy cause condensation on the lid drops right back into the tray so it can cause some stuff to flow out.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 28, 2019

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
When we didn't have a microwave for a few years I had great success with just putting leftovers in the cast iron on low and forgetting about them for a while. Can you do a water bath to loosen it up from the aluminum thing and then transfer it to a pan?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I will try that next time but I am an impatient man and if I can't see instant results (steam satisfies this, as does burning my arm on the oven rack when I put the tray in), I feel like it's not working. So I end up putting it a tiny bit too high and then coming back 12 minutes later and seeing it all burnt to the bottom. Or I come back 12 minutes later and it's still an iceblock because drat my apprehension, I set it too low. Electric cookers suck. And my induction plate burns stuff even on power level 1 (I can't cook rice or gently simmer stuff on it).

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you're willing to switch from the aluminum containers to plastic bags, a sous vide circulator is unequivocally the best at what you are trying to do. Set it to 150 (or whatever you want for that specific food), come back in an hour and it's perfect. Come back in two hours, still perfect.

At least 2 meals per week I do like this now. When I get home, toss a bag into a pot and go take a shower, chill out, watch TV. Whenever I feel like eating, food is hot and ready waiting for me.

Edit: Even non-well done meat is good this way. Set the tempt to 135 and it'll still be medium. Nothing is as good as freshly cooked, but this is the best way to reheat.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
This won't help your current situation, but if you are willing to change containers look for ones that are shallow instead of tall for ease of reheat in the oven. More surface area means less inner ice brick volume. Ziplocks/sous vide bags should be fine for that.

Or for instant pot reheating, just cover the container with foil and that way water won't get into it.

effika fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 28, 2019

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I need a good book or article on food pairings.

I make really good food, but I never get the right combinations of food. Last week, I made a spread of food for a GoT viewing party: Moroccan spicy meatballs; a facoccia (sp?) topped with roasted tomatoes and mushrooms; baked lemon-ricotta souffles (for spreading on the fococcia); and a bread pudding with bananas and pecans. Individually, each item was delicious, but they didn't go together at all. It was like listening to Metallica, Vicente Fernandez, and Mozart all at the same time.

Is there a good Internet post or book about pairing food? Something with tips like, "If the meat is spicy, the carbs should be creamy" or "Pork can be served with sweet fruits. Beef is good with root vegetables." Something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Bagheera posted:

I need a good book or article on food pairings.

I make really good food, but I never get the right combinations of food. Last week, I made a spread of food for a GoT viewing party: Moroccan spicy meatballs; a facoccia (sp?) topped with roasted tomatoes and mushrooms; baked lemon-ricotta souffles (for spreading on the fococcia); and a bread pudding with bananas and pecans. Individually, each item was delicious, but they didn't go together at all. It was like listening to Metallica, Vicente Fernandez, and Mozart all at the same time.

Is there a good Internet post or book about pairing food? Something with tips like, "If the meat is spicy, the carbs should be creamy" or "Pork can be served with sweet fruits. Beef is good with root vegetables." Something like that?

The Flavor Bible is pretty close to what you're describing.