Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Y'all haven't even met the best character yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Very nice of those ghosts to help good boy Tanjirou out

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The sudden two year timeskip really bugged me in the manga to where I stopped reading a little bit after and it still kinda does here. There's a lot of telling and montaging just to get Tanjiro strong enough to be a protagonist and the "I trained for a year, and then trained another year and my sister didn't do anything that entire time and my teacher I live with didn't talk to me anymore" feels a little sloppy to me. I feel like I'm kinda nitpicking but the leap from "I want to save my sister" to "I need to join the demon fighting military" also doesn't quite connect for me. This section just all kinda feels artificial, like the author didn't quite know how to get Tanjiro from Normal Boy to Anime Protagonist smoothly.

Still, the twist at the end is fitting for these kind of yokai stories and the episode looks great throughout. Gonna try to stick it out this time and trust the writing to improve. I also like Tanjiro's new long hair and mad it doesn't look like he keeps it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So I have to ask -- are the constant admonishments to the protagonist that he has to be more of a stoic, vengeful, and repressed manly man supposed to be damaging and stupid, or are they totally sincere?

Normally I'd watch and find out but if it's the latter I don't actually want to watch this.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yes! that was another thing that bothered me. Sabito's "You need to keep things inside" seemed really out of place and he kept saying that Tanjiro needs to be "a man" as if dedicating himself for a months and month to help his only surviving loved one and getting frustrated when there doesn't seem to be any growth was immature

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It doesn't really stick. We see with a lot of the later characters how caring for their family, getting revenge for their family's murders, and caring for their new family of demon hunters is balanced well. As with real life, there are characters that deal with it healthily, and characters that don't.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So I have to ask -- are the constant admonishments to the protagonist that he has to be more of a stoic, vengeful, and repressed manly man supposed to be damaging and stupid, or are they totally sincere?

Normally I'd watch and find out but if it's the latter I don't actually want to watch this.

it doesn't really matter since tanjiro is never vengeful or stoic. it's just a bit of generic shonen that doesn't really get followed up on

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Spoilers I guess, but Tanjiro very much never becomes that sort of character at all. He remains a very emotionally expressive character that is friendly to just about everyone and spends his downtime thinking of ways to help other people out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Spoilers I guess, but Tanjiro very much never becomes that sort of character at all. He remains a very emotionally expressive character that is friendly to just about everyone and spends his downtime thinking of ways to help other people out.

Spoilers are fine, pretty much inevitable with what I was asking. In any case, thank you!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

going back to this part of the series and realizing that people really harped on him about BE A MAN is definitely a contrast to the feeling that the manga values his kindness and emotional responses. i think giyu probably had the best case to say anything since tanjiro was literally in a life and death situation and just groveling, but sabito's remarks feel especially pointless? hollow? mean spirited? without what essentially amounts to future knowledge of the series's tone. in general this ep was pretty dull for me but knowing the selection starts next week and will kinda wrap this arc up, it should bring the series back to more of a high point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

At least the opening is still unquestionably awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHP9IOkhRis

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tanjiro is and continues to be a very good boy to the point it's his greatest strength. His empathy runs unbelievably deep and it gets to even his enemies consistently, because demons are basically brutal caricatures of the people they used to be.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

Tanjiro is and continues to be a very good boy to the point it's his greatest strength. His empathy runs unbelievably deep and it gets to even his enemies consistently, because demons are basically brutal caricatures of the people they used to be.

This show is a long series of people going "What the gently caress is wrong with you? You can't be such a good boy--demons will eat you!" and him continuing to be The Goodest Boy.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mr. Fowl posted:

This show is a long series of people going "What the gently caress is wrong with you? You can't be such a good boy--demons will eat you!" and him continuing to be The Goodest Boy.

I like this synopsis.

This is just me being weird but I'm liking this show more and more as it's getting more stereotypical, like I've seen dozens of these repetitive training arcs before but never in something trying to look this lush and detailed. It's comfort food arranged with some extra grossness and nice backgrounds lol.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

The sudden two year timeskip really bugged me in the manga to where I stopped reading a little bit after and it still kinda does here. There's a lot of telling and montaging just to get Tanjiro strong enough to be a protagonist and the "I trained for a year, and then trained another year and my sister didn't do anything that entire time and my teacher I live with didn't talk to me anymore" feels a little sloppy to me. I feel like I'm kinda nitpicking but the leap from "I want to save my sister" to "I need to join the demon fighting military" also doesn't quite connect for me. This section just all kinda feels artificial, like the author didn't quite know how to get Tanjiro from Normal Boy to Anime Protagonist smoothly.

Still, the twist at the end is fitting for these kind of yokai stories and the episode looks great throughout. Gonna try to stick it out this time and trust the writing to improve. I also like Tanjiro's new long hair and mad it doesn't look like he keeps it

I think using the framing of Tanjiro writing letters to his sister just as an excuse for exposition is something of a mistake, like even a line or two about "I miss you, what the hell am I doing out here" would have gone a long way. I still like the show, tho.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I was surprised that Tanjiro knew how to read and write, but looking it up, Taisho era literacy rates were fairly high for a developing country, even in a super rural place like northern Japan.

A more pertinent question is: what the heck does Nezuko eat? Does she act like the Antiki Ghouls and subsist on already dead flesh?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she doesn't eat anything.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Am I reading this wrong or is Yaiba the most popular thing on CR now?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

A more pertinent question is: what the heck does Nezuko eat? Does she act like the Antiki Ghouls and subsist on already dead flesh?

I mean, I suspect that the reason for her coma is that she eats nothing (since her only obvious alternative is human flesh) and she's conserving energy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was incredibly boring for the most part. I'm really iffy on the show at this point and will probably drop it if next episode doesn't give me a reason to stay.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

That was incredibly boring for the most part. I'm really iffy on the show at this point and will probably drop it if next episode doesn't give me a reason to stay.
Yeah, this episode was pretty poo poo overall but based on the series' overall praise and this post-

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm going to give it a pass as the series finding its footing and getting its pieces where it wants them to get to the real good stuff. The way I see it, this series is beloved on this forum and in Japan, so there's gotta be something worth seeing here. I can forgive one clumsy training arc episode to get to that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh I'm not sure season 1 will even get to the point where I think the series really hits its stride, so I don't blame anyone for having doubts. it steadily gets better over time tho, so it's worth sticking with if you're at all interested. the character stuff in particular gets way better and my favorite parts are the downtime bewteen big fights when a bunch of the cast have time to just hang out for a bit

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I dunno, I thought it was kind of funny that it went straight for "and then I spent two years getting my rear end kicked" without dressing it up at all.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Season 1 will probably pick up the pace once we get to meet the other two main characters.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbh I'm not sure season 1 will even get to the point where I think the series really hits its stride,
uhhhh it's gonna be over twenty episodes so i sure hope it does!!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

uhhhh it's gonna be over twenty episodes so i sure hope it does!!

o is it? I thought it was just 12. I had some natural end points in mind but that throws them out the window for sure

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Crackpot theory: Maybe Ufotable are trying to court Shueisha/Weekly Shounen Jump so that they can tackle more diverse future projects?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Manatee Cannon posted:

o is it? I thought it was just 12. I had some natural end points in mind but that throws them out the window for sure
Yeah MAL has it down for 26 episodes, which I feel is a lot for the new Shonen Anime Season trend, but it makes me feel better about any pacing issues. The OP also seems to suggest it's gonna go some places so im gonna stick with it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I dunno, I thought it was kind of funny that it went straight for "and then I spent two years getting my rear end kicked" without dressing it up at all.

I liked it too given that all that apparently changed was his hair getting longer. Like yeah its difficult to notice his physical growth since we haven't seen him next to many other characters but you'd think a boy going through the middle of puberty will change more

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The water effects on Tanjiro's sword continue to be dope as gently caress

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Watching this on Hulu and it's a great adaptation really. The only problem is that it's a bit slow to start out- I think it's better after the final selection is over and finally hits its full stride at Drum House.

I did notice for some reason it has an [adult swim] brand on it when I'm watching it from Hulu. That happen for all anime on Hulu?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't know why they insist on breaking up the selection with pointless flashbacks and cutaways to sabito/makomo as if they have much bearing on anything, but it's kinda annoying. feels like that stuff would've been fine to place earlier on so we can just have the selection happen.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The soundtrack is so loving dope and there was some sorcery involved with how they animated the water because it looked so good

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i don't know why they insist on breaking up the selection with pointless flashbacks and cutaways to sabito/makomo as if they have much bearing on anything, but it's kinda annoying. feels like that stuff would've been fine to place earlier on so we can just have the selection happen.

that's how it happened in the manga and you weren't supposed to know anything about them before they were done training with tanjirou

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the anime is at liberty to change things since, surprise, small cut-ins are significantly more obtrusive in anime. but i suppose i figured it was a manga thing i didn't remember.

almost all the sabito/makomo banter is just about the random strong demon so it really doesn't feel like it needed to be inserted into the fight and could instead just be foreboding. :shrug:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I wouldn't say the cuts to the other two during the fight are pointless, they are there to rile our boy and make him lose his cool. Thats why we get a cut with Sabito saying "gently caress man, dont worry about us, just breathe"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I wouldn't say the cuts to the other two during the fight are pointless, they are there to rile our boy and make him lose his cool. Thats why we get a cut with Sabito saying "gently caress man, dont worry about us, just breathe"

That one was good, although the one afterwards with the two of them just going "Hey do you think he can win?" "Man I dunno, he's pretty cool tho" could have been snipped pretty easily. It wasn't like disastrous or anything tho.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

it'd be a bit better conveyed visually if they showed up like tanjiro's brother tbh, cutting back to urokodaki's backyard and them having a conversation as if they can actually communicate with tanjiro is weird

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

That fight was rad as hell I have no idea what y'all are on about.

Spiritus Nox posted:

That one was good, although the one afterwards with the two of them just going "Hey do you think he can win?" "Man I dunno, he's pretty cool tho" could have been snipped pretty easily. It wasn't like disastrous or anything tho.

Did you miss that they're specifically talking about him slicing through the bolder, seconds before he slices through the demon's neck? I think without this scene that ending just feels like "oh he won with protagonist power" when no he won cause he was specifically being trained for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

an actual dog posted:

That fight was rad as hell I have no idea what y'all are on about.

Did you miss that they're specifically talking about him slicing through the bolder, seconds before he slices through the demon's neck? I think without this scene that ending just feels like "oh he won with protagonist power" when no he won cause he was specifically being trained for this.

Oh, yeah, I hadn't thought of that. So they specifically figured "okay if he can cut this boulder then he can cut that demon's armor"?