Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have two of these bags and will say they are great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah I have a boot bag like that, fits my helmet, boots and I can stuff in all my gloves, socks, hats, etc.

My hard case is mostly just for skis and poles but I may shove some other stuff in there since I have to check it anyway.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Doesn't your helmet get smashed up if it's in a ski bag?

Had I guess my last ski of the season at the weekend, a couple of very sunny days in Verbier. Snow was obviously super hard in the morning and the moguls on the itinéraires were pretty grim but nice spring skiing once they had warmed up a bit.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You can fit your helmet in your ski bag? Is it soft side? I’ve got a sport tube and no way could I fit a helmet in there.
Yep, it's a Dakine soft-sided rolling double ski bag. I was concerned with airlines being dicks about "only boots in boot bags" policies so I went for the bigger ski bag to fit everything.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 23, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

knox_harrington posted:

Doesn't your helmet get smashed up if it's in a ski bag?

Had I guess my last ski of the season at the weekend, a couple of very sunny days in Verbier. Snow was obviously super hard in the morning and the moguls on the itinéraires were pretty grim but nice spring skiing once they had warmed up a bit.

Some scratches I guess. Nothing that I would be worried about when I need it in a crash.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

Yep, it's a Dakine soft-sided rolling double ski bag. I was concerned with airlines being dicks about "only boots in boot bags" policies so I went for the bigger ski bag to fit everything.

Kind of a dick move on their part. This is the one I have that also accommodates a helmet.

https://outdoormaster.com/product/ski-boot-bag-lynx/

I’d probably use it as my carry on and then have a backpack with other clothes that I can’t fit in the hard case ski tube.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Kind of a dick move on their part. This is the one I have that also accommodates a helmet.

https://outdoormaster.com/product/ski-boot-bag-lynx/

I’d probably use it as my carry on and then have a backpack with other clothes that I can’t fit in the hard case ski tube.

Yeah standard boot-shaped bags are a bit of a waste. I got a Leki one that you stick boots in the side and the rest of the bag is a cuboid so plenty of space for helmet, gloves and whatever spare kit. It's been great as a kit bag.

https://www.leki.com/fr_CH/ski-alpin/accessoires/3014/bootbag/

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just re-upped on Ikon. I feel dirty.

Also, I really need to replace these 2013 Nomads. I love them but they're heavy and at 5'8" I'm right in between the 171 and 181, which has been a little annoying. What's the current quiver-of-one choice these days? Probably 70/30 inbounds/backcountry. Preferably around 105 under foot, w/ rocker. I'll be putting Kingpins on 'em (don't @ me).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I have been super happy on the 4frnt Raven. I would say it is a bit more of a back country ski but still fun inbounds. The 177 fits your needs (I am 5'8", 145) but you probably will not find any right now.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

There are people who check their boots? (My boot bag is my carryon. Rental skis, nbd, but rental boots would ruin a trip if the airline somehow lost my poo poo.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Been buying snowboard gear recently and gone a few times, and got Ikon just before the price went up :retrogames:

Re: bag chat, I have a soft Dakine board bag that fits basically everything I need to board. I keep my snow specific clothes in there to have all my stuff in one place so I don’t misplace anything between trips. Helmet sideways or squished (soft ears folded in) is about the same height and doesn’t stick up too much. Just doing Mammoth and Bear road trips from SoCal so no experience with flying (yet? :iiam:).

Anyone have suggestions for a water bladder? Got a backpack that can take one and figure I might as well use it. Paranoid about falling on my back and blowing it up, but I guess that goes for carrying any water. I guess I’d do like I do with my plastic bottles, under fill and squeeze the air out so it has room to get beat up without bursting.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Kalman posted:

There are people who check their boots? (My boot bag is my carryon. Rental skis, nbd, but rental boots would ruin a trip if the airline somehow lost my poo poo.)
Yeah, I'd rather deal with just carrying my essentials through terminals and onto planes. I used to stuff my helmet into my bookbag and hated that too. I'm not gnarly enough to really care if I get the exact model of boots as rentals or whatever.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kalman posted:

Out of the over 1000 flights I have been on my bag had not shown up 1 time. And it was on the next plane because of a crazy tight connection after a delay.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The Dakine 'soft' bags own, I've borrowed them. They're actually pretty rugged and burly. The hard tubes are dumb.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Also I have six pairs of skis in my room because I can't be bothered to walk to a storage locker.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Disinterested posted:

The Dakine 'soft' bags own, I've borrowed them. They're actually pretty rugged and burly. The hard tubes are dumb.
Yeah they’re nice, light and flexible enough to fold down but the material is solid and it’s padded throughout. For reference here’s the one I got, Dakine Tour, and I assume the Low Roller is the wheeled equivalent.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Also I have six pairs of skis in my room because I can't be bothered to walk to a storage locker.

"I'm not lazy; they're decoration."

Also, up to 25cm this weekend. :black101:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Out of the over 1000 flights I have been on my bag had not shown up 1 time. And it was on the next plane because of a crazy tight connection after a delay.

SAS left my ski bag at LAX once, and delivered it to my door in Austria two days later when my flight was to Stockholm (I flew Norwegian to Munich). A+ service right there.

I don't check my boots. I pack everything in a Douchebag roller, which is super convenient because then when I get there I can just hook on my other douchebags onto it and roll them through the airport together.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My skate race is on tomorrow. 37 km, forecast is +4C, rain and 15 mph headwinds. It was nice knowing you all.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

At least you don’t have to worry about kick waxing for that!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

At least you don’t have to worry about kick waxing for that!

Yeah, I'm in the tourist class where many ski classic, I expect to see some sad faces among those.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ola posted:

My skate race is on tomorrow. 37 km, forecast is +4C, rain and 15 mph headwinds. It was nice knowing you all.

What's the worst that could happen?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

What's the worst that could happen?

Many things can happen. You can for instance fall and break your collarbone, which I did.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

W E L P

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Well that’s the most fitting ski/snowboard thread exchange I’ve seen in a while.

Get well soon!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Many things can happen. You can for instance fall and break your collarbone, which I did.

God drat, get well soon! That's 2 for the year in the thread?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks guys! Seems like it's a nice break so probably no need for surgery.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

But did you finish??

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > You Look Like poo poo > Ski and Snowboard 19/20: You can for instance fall and break your collarbone, which I did.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

But did you finish??

:wink:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DNF with a broken bone is ok according to Norwegian honor culture. Not Valhalla material of course, but ok. Got amazing help. Was on a snow mobile sled with painkillers administered within 15 minutes. Got ambulanced, X-rayed etc in time to make it on an early train home, where a group of guys showered me with sympathy, aquavit, beer and cured leg of lamb. The anesthesiologist among them said it was ok. The bone is not sitting quite right at the moment, so regular doctor on Monday. Got the xray on CD-ROM, can post it as soon as I visit an antique shop to get a drive.

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 27, 2019

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

DNF with a broken bone is ok according to Norwegian honor culture. Not Valhalla material of course, but ok.

I guess it depends on how far into the race you were.

If you were more than 3/4 of the way done with the race, then you should have finished! :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

22/37 km, with all the biggest climbs done, with all the worst downhills left. I'll take the DNF.

It was super tough conditions. The elite skiers typically finish in 1h20m-1h30m, the winner time today was 1h51m. Partly icy, partly sugary, hard slush, lots of headwind and rain. And because there's little snow, the course was steeper sideways than usual. It's along a mountain side, so if you were skating flat, you still had to skate uphill on every other push, but you couldn't do it so steeply that the uphill leg could push down again very well, so one leg wore out before the other. And the 45 deg wind was both braking and pushing you down, sideways. And you couldn't get the banked uphill energy back by gliding fast downhill, because low visibility, hard to snow plow etc. But while the uphills nailed me, I recovered pretty quickly so I actually managed to put together an ok shape. Perhaps I was getting a bit mentally tired and wanted to eat some free distance so I went a bit too fast in a sketchy place.

Sucks big time, but doesn't hurt too bad and I had many positive experiences along the way.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Dang that sounds gnarly and awesome. Heal up so you can go do it again!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That's the most badass sounding cross country ski race I've ever heard.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ola posted:

DNF with a broken bone is ok according to Norwegian honor culture. Not Valhalla material of course, but ok. Got amazing help. Was on a snow mobile sled with painkillers administered within 15 minutes. Got ambulanced, X-rayed etc in time to make it on an early train home, where a group of guys showered me with sympathy, aquavit, beer and cured leg of lamb. The anesthesiologist among them said it was ok. The bone is not sitting quite right at the moment, so regular doctor on Monday. Got the xray on CD-ROM, can post it as soon as I visit an antique shop to get a drive.

See, this rules.

I should break my collarbone sometime

(Get healed quickly and stay pain free!)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ola posted:

What up friend. Welcome to the club.

Got out, tried a couloir, conditions kinda sucked. Rode some mellow glades instead.

E: video of mellow glades https://youtu.be/bLi8bTlwjMk

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 27, 2019

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Caught some turns at Highlands today before it closed, and at A-Basin. A-basin is really holding up.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Disinterested posted:

Caught some turns at Highlands today before it closed, and at A-Basin. A-basin is really holding up.

It will be interesting to see how much snow comes this week. 10-30" forecast currently. If it is on the high side that will really help keep it in good shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Never skied A-Basin before and definitely am planning a trip once I get back to the mountains.