Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Darko posted:

Especially non dog owners/alarm users.

The funny thing is the flip side, where when people try to invade the villain's place, they always have a dog to screw them over. People Under The Stairs, The Collector, etc. have dogs screwing over the heroes. The reverse, almost no dogs.

Well any smart person would kill the dog first and that's kinda upsetting to have in a movie, even a grim one. That's why Michael Meyers strangles that dog to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Well any smart person would kill the dog first and that's kinda upsetting to have in a movie, even a grim one. That's why Michael Meyers strangles that dog to death.

I thought he did that because he was hangry.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

Well if you're gonna kill the thing you shouldn't let it go to waste.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Actually I guess the dog he ate was some other dog, not the guard dog.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have not seen whichever Halloween he eats a dog in, and I'm kind of upset to learn that Michael requires food

I cannot imagine what this dude eating a sandwich would look like

Edit: ...huh

Pomp fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 27, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pomp posted:

I have not seen whichever Halloween he eats a dog in, and I'm kind of upset to learn that Michael requires food

I cannot imagine what this dude eating a sandwich would look like

It’s in the original

The half-eaten dog is offscreen and the mention of it goes by pretty quick though so it’s easy to miss

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah he kills 2 dogs in the original: one Loomis finds at the Myers house already dead/eaten and the second one is the German shepherd he strangles.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

married but discreet posted:

Seen Blood and Black Lace, will add The Evil Eye! Thanks :D

Girl Who Knew Too Much is clearly an early example of the genre but it's still really fun, I hope you enjoy it

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So I just watched Mercy Black.

I've seen horror movies with one Vince Russo-esque shocking swerve. Hell, I've seen movies that had two.

I have not seen a movie before that spent an hour and 15 minutes of its 90-minute runtime doing one thing, and then packed three separate batshit twists into the last 15 minutes. It's like they couldn't decide which one was the coolest/craziest so they just decided "gently caress it, let's do all of them."

Well that's more than enough to get me interested, be back later

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tart Kitty posted:

The second PatStew shows up there are no negotiations; the band is dead the second they leave the room. Their best opportunity at walking away clean was when Macon Blair was in briefly in charge.

Basically the entire plot makes sense on a rewatch, but when you're first seeing it you really need to pay attention.

Darcy says that they could have just played it cool when the Ain't Rights stumbled upon the murder, called the cops, and let Werm take the fall for killing Emily. Because Gabe and Big Justin panicked and went right to the criminal option by taking the band hostage, there's now no way for them to just let them go without the band bringing the cops back for a more thorough search that would uncover the drug lab. From that point forward, everything they do is a plot to kill the band and stage their deaths to make it look like they were killed legally while trespassing. What seems like negotiations by Darcy is just a ploy to get them to let their guard down so they can be killed. It's also why Darcy is initially hesitant to use guns against them: shooting would make it harder to justify, whereas having the dogs kill them would be much easier to conceal the evidence.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I don't know if anyone else has seen them, but there are a couple basically average slashers on Tubi called Rest Stop and Rest Stop: Don't Look Back. Nothing special, though the first one has a young Jaime Alexander and Joey Lawrence.

However, it does have one of the most horrifying scenes that I've watched in a long while.

A cop, played by Lawrence, gets mangled by the evil trucker dick. he's bleeding out and knows he's dying, so he asks the girl to mercy kill him with his gun. so she puts the gun in his mouth and blows a hole in the side of his head. She breaks down crying.

But then his eyes snap open and he starts screaming that it didn't work! do it again! with most of his brains and skull on the disgusting bathroom floor. She obviously freaks out and he's desperate and screaming and then she's finally able to kill him.

Holy jeez, it was horrible. He sold it pretty well, too.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I just spent 180 minutes watching an “I Spit on your Grave” sequel I highly recommend not doing this.

Seriously who thought making it that long was a good idea??!?!??!

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Mercy Black was decent enough to broadly recommend. I don't remember who said it days ago when the thread was chatting about the movie but, sure, it feels a little scuzzy to have this movie be heavily based on a real-life event but that touch of slime totally makes the movie better.

sidenote: Rowlf is a top tier dog name

other sidenote: I do phone watchin' from time to time and it makes me sad that the Tubi app absolutely mauls my battery life

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Works for an invincible serial killer movie, but hard for a home invasion one. You put on your scary mask and try to sneak in a house with a knife and two pit bulls bark loudly and alert the owner to get their gun and have to fight the dogs while the owner is shooting at you now.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Neo Rasa posted:

Horror Express

Basebf555 posted:

It's like a less intense version of the October Challenge, but basically the same. Watch a bunch of horror movies and post your thoughts on them.

One movie you should watch during the challenge is Horror Express, which is on Prime.

Yo

Ya, watched that on Youtube 3 months ago. Its great

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Darko posted:

hard for a home invasion one. You put on your scary mask and try to sneak in a house with a knife and two pit bulls bark loudly and alert the owner to get their gun and have to fight the dogs while the owner is shooting at you now.

Yah man Don't Breathe fukken owned dude

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Easy Diff posted:

Yah man Don't Breathe fukken owned dude

Exactly.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/TravisStevens/status/1122146297727684608

I did 10:

Hereditary
The VVitch
Under the Skin
The Neon Demon
Climax
Mandy
Beyond the Black Rainbow
mother!
You're Next
It Follows

What are yours?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Anyone see the Curse of La Llorona? Want to go see a movie but there is nothing else out right now

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

of the last ten years? So, back to 2008?

Okay...

The Wailing
Antichrist
The First Purge
As Above So Below
Treevenge

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh God, AntiChrist was made in 2009

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I found Antichrist kinda sexist personally.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Under the Skin
the Vvitch
The Greasy Strangler
Lords of Salem
Rob Zombie's Halloween Ii
Mandy
Eyes of My Mother
Evil Dead (2013)
I Saw the Devil
Tusk

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

No he killed a different dog to eat it. Dead dogs are a means to various noble ends.

Darko posted:

Works for an invincible serial killer movie, but hard for a home invasion one. You put on your scary mask and try to sneak in a house with a knife and two pit bulls bark loudly and alert the owner to get their gun and have to fight the dogs while the owner is shooting at you now.

Ok but assuming you've scoped the house out you just wait til they send the dog out to poop and shoot it with a poison dart when it's in the bush/behind the shed.

It's like you've never played a stealth game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
No no, you bring a comically large chain of sausage links that you pull out of your coat pocket like a clown 'kerchief and then throw for the dogs. Then the dogs lose interest in the sausages and come running to bite the crotch out of your pants.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
No, you come rushing for the dogs with a lead pipe screaming Leeroy Jenkins, Jesus.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Get Out
The Babadook
It Follows
Train to Busan
Coraline

I need to see more modern horror movies, the genre's been undergoing quite the revival recently. The blue-tinted era of bad remakes is long gone.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My top 10 if I absolutely had to pick 10

Annihilation
Jordan Peele's Us
Suspiria
Happy Death Day
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
Let Me In
Hereditary
Halloween 2018
The Witch
The Babadook

The first four I'm confident are my top 4 and wouldn't change no matter what, but everything else was very tough. I love them all, but there's also a lot of honorable mentions, like

a lot of other stuff I love a lot that's still left out (mother!, Melancholia, Black Swan, Tucker & Dale, You're Next, Final Destination 5, It: Chapter One, Cabin in the Woods, Evil Dead, Cult of Chucky, The Eyes of My Mother, Train To Busan, Raw, Happy Death Day 2U, Get Out)
a lot of stuff I appreciate very much (Rubber, Fright Night, Drive Angry, We Are Still Here, Curse of Chucky, Autopsy of Jane Doe, Hush, Neon Demon, The Void, The First Purge)
and just a lot of stuff that was at least half great but didn't completely stick the landing and that ultimately cost it having a place on the list (Sadako vs Kayako, Saw 3D, John Dies at the End, Crimson Peak, Don't Breathe, Mandy, A Quiet Place, Antibirth, Unsane)

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Beyond the Black Rainbow
Do any streaming services have this? It's on my list but I've not been able to find it online, in the UK at least.

What was the thread's opinion on Split? I saw it last night and thought it was pure liquid poo poo. Not even remotely tense, and such a conspicuous lack of attention to detail that I thought it might somehow be part of the twist.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

toiletbrush posted:

Do any streaming services have this? It's on my list but I've not been able to find it online, in the UK at least.

What was the thread's opinion on Split? I saw it last night and thought it was pure liquid poo poo. Not even remotely tense, and such a conspicuous lack of attention to detail that I thought it might somehow be part of the twist.

I finally saw it about a week ago and was firmly in Good Not Great. James McAvoy carried that motherfucker hard for me, dude is so good at being gross and weird-reminded me I still need to watch Filth!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Beyond The Black Rainbow is on Tubi for free in the US, I don't know about the UK

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Shudder has it too.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

sponges posted:

Anyone see the Curse of La Llorona? Want to go see a movie but there is nothing else out right now

Eh. I didn’t hate it but it really didn’t do much for me at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Whoolighams posted:

I finally saw it about a week ago and was firmly in Good Not Great. James McAvoy carried that motherfucker hard for me, dude is so good at being gross and weird-reminded me I still need to watch Filth!

Yeah, I didn't hate it or anything but it was largely carried by McAvoy and to a lesser extent Anya Taylor Joy and Betty Buckley. The story and plot felt flimsy and I never really felt much tension or anything to make me think of it as a horror film. I largely watched because of the Unbreakable connection.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

does the new i spit on your grave at least have good kills or should i just completely skip it

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

sponges posted:

It was OK if you see it on a matinee price. Entertaining exorcism/haunting film with some decent enough scares.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Top ten over the last 10 years

Drag Me to Hell
Tucker and Dale vs Evil
Green Room
Krampus
Get Out
It
Halloween
The Collector
Detention
You're Next

in no particular order although if I had to, Drag Me would most likely be #1.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ooh i forgot about the collector thats an excellent choice. The sequel is great too!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Oooo is it list time? Here's my top 10 of the last 10:

It Follows
Green Room
Maniac
Get Out
Creep 2
What We Do in the Shadows
You're Next
Halloween
Revenge
Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Yeah, two remakes and two comedies. So what.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished watching Inferno for the first time. Yep, that sure was an Argento movie alright! Hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

ooh i forgot about the collector thats an excellent choice. The sequel is great too!

The sequel would definitely make my honorable mentions list, would love to get a third one, too.