Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Clarste posted:

Visionary Fairies in Shrine chapter 14!

In which Daiyousei ambiguously gets her first speaking line.

How many five year olds fairies does it take to beat a god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

How many episodes of Memories of Phantasm are out now and what's the easiest way to see them all that isn't a bad compressed youtube video?

13 episodes. And there’s no good way to get around the YouTube compression unless you buy the DVDs.

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.
What ever happened to that Touhou fan animation that received a lot of hype?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8me0G6dFZFY

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It never got finished. Pretty simple.

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It never got finished. Pretty simple.

Well, that's a shame. Though it's arguable if there's even enough characterization to make an anime in the first place.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

https://youtu.be/KjJMWj6BYhY

New Minus-T animation soon.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Thought you said Minus-8 for a second there.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

What a cute amanojaku

(Grimoire of Usami is out)

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

big fan of that gnome

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Shinmyoumaru is the villain this time. Okina is scheming with her and Yukari is scheming against her and Sagume is there too and it's crazy.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Ultima66 posted:

Using portals to pour sake from an upright bottle is very cool

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Ultima66 posted:

Reimu is cool and good in this, as she should be.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Ultima66 posted:

The 3d interpretations of Bumper Crop Rice Shower and Youkai Polygraph owned. Kind of weird that we didn't see the Yukari powers and from what I can tell Aya bomb even though it showed Suika bomb twice. Oh and I loved the Koishi mannerisms and teleporting that really got defined in the fighting games much later than SA.

Also I like the models more than the previous videos. These seem a little less weird uncanny valley than the Utsuho video but not as "cheap crappy 3d" as the earlier ones.

E: Holy poo poo during the Sanae fight Reimu has 4 Ying Yang orbs and on the last attack she uses Suika's bomb. She's shown flying off with 3 orbs to reflect losing 1 power when bombing. You can see that Reimu's orb configuration changes to reflect the shot type (usually they're spinning around her and shooting forward like the Yukari shot, the turn blue and form a formation in front of her and shoot blue homing bullets for Suika, and they go in front/behind her for Aya). It looks like Aya's bomb was actually represented with Reimu rocket boosting with an orb under her feet but Yukari's bomb was questionable. She loses an orb when she makes a barrier against one attack and I guess that's Yukari gapping away bullets? Not totally clear with Aya bomb either because that isn't really what the bomb looks like ingame and she doesn't seem to lose an orb when she does it in the video.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 27, 2019

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Fun fact: my voice actor for Akyuu here is actually younger than Akyuu herself.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's hosed up. I'm certainly not old by anyone's standards, but I've gotten to the point where I pretty regularly hear about people who are simultaneously younger and more talented than me, and it's deeply unsettling.

It doesn't help that the average Touhou fan has stayed exactly the same age over time, even if all the ones I know personally are crusty old grognards.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Grimoire of Usami part 2 preview!

Um... I should probably clarify before you read this that the way the book is structured is that it's 150 pages of spellcard judging broken into two halves by comics drawn by Azuma Aya (the artist for WaHH). Technically there are three comics: one at the beginning, one in the middle, and one at the end. Three chapters total.

The preview comic I translated earlier appears in the book in its entirety, and you should probably read it first in case you've forgotten what's going on. The version I did earlier is in black and white, but in the book it's actually in full color. I might fix that later, but it's not a priority for me.

Chapter 1 link

So halfway through the book there's a new comic, and things get changed up a little as a result. So I cherry-picked some subsequent spellcards to add at the end, as a kind of preview of how things changed. There are way more than that though, and I skipped a bunch while choosing, similar to how ZUN handled the first preview. So with that in mind:

Chapter 2 link

There are plans to do the whole thing as one big book, like AFiEU, but that'll be a while from now.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Well that escalated quickly. Glad to see Seija showing up again though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

23 (currently; born August 1994 approx.)
I figured Akyuu was just 10 forever so far as touhou time went

wonder if zun will do anything special in 7-ish years if he's still doing these

Clarste posted:

Grimoire of Usami part 2 preview!

Um... I should probably clarify before you read this that the way the book is structured is that it's 150 pages of spellcard judging broken into two halves by comics drawn by Azuma Aya (the artist for WaHH). Technically there are three comics: one at the beginning, one in the middle, and one at the end. Three chapters total.

The preview comic I translated earlier appears in the book in its entirety, and you should probably read it first in case you've forgotten what's going on. The version I did earlier is in black and white, but in the book it's actually in full color. I might fix that later, but it's not a priority for me.

Chapter 1 link

So halfway through the book there's a new comic, and things get changed up a little as a result. So I cherry-picked some subsequent spellcards to add at the end, as a kind of preview of how things changed. There are way more than that though, and I skipped a bunch while choosing, similar to how ZUN handled the first preview. So with that in mind:

Chapter 2 link

There are plans to do the whole thing as one big book, like AFiEU, but that'll be a while from now.

I love that everyone in the second half has a quip when they show off because now they can be dangerous :allears:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

rannum posted:

During Symposium she was 17, since it took place in the Winter of 2011/2012.

Akyuu is kind of the most obvious instance of time moving on in the series; she's very clearly an actual adult during Forbidden Scrollery.

PywackettBarchetta
Mar 15, 2019
I love how every single time there's a new print work, it gives me a strong contender for a new favorite panel

Thanks for the translation, as ever!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Here's some Junko just for fun:

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

rannum posted:

wonder if zun will do anything special in 7-ish years if he's still doing these

don't quote me fully on this because this just may be my brain being dumb, but i recall in a interview zun saying something about touhou working on suzunan time or something when asked this question, meaning basically akyuu's probably gonna be considered to be in her early 20s at most for the entirety of the series and the subject will never come up as a result.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh Junko, what a joker.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

nyttyn posted:

don't quote me fully on this because this just may be my brain being dumb, but i recall in a interview zun saying something about touhou working on suzunan time or something when asked this question, meaning basically akyuu's probably gonna be considered to be in her early 20s at most for the entirety of the series and the subject will never come up as a result.

"Sazae-san time." Sazae-san is basically the Japanese Simpsons, in that it's a long running animated sitcom where the characters have stayed the same age for decade.

He also specifically said that he was not going to write Akyu dying at 30.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh Junko, what a joker.

"Ain't I a stinker" - well known Junko quote

nyttyn posted:

I had read that & is why I figured Akyuu was ten forever. I had never checked the ages of any subsequent appearances so seeing her aged up at all surprised me. Picturing literally a child participating in a symposium of the world's leaders was also a great mental image so I never second guessed it

But passively aging her to the rest(ish) of the cast then freezing the age makes more sense

Clarste posted:

He also specifically said that he was not going to write Akyu dying at 30.

and that's probably for the best :v:

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Clarste posted:

Visionary Fairies in Shrine chapter 14!

In which Daiyousei ambiguously gets her first speaking line.

So who are the 2 fairies in the back on the last page? Just some randos?

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
So Yukari Canonically Dislikes Okina. drat.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

L-O-N posted:

So who are the 2 fairies in the back on the last page? Just some randos?

they're both me

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Grimoire of Usami Part 3

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TheNamedSavior posted:

So Yukari Canonically Dislikes Okina. drat.

Does anyone like any of the touhou sages

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Pureauthor posted:

Does anyone like any of the touhou sages

Yuyuko is practically Yukari's GF.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think Suika likes Yukari too. Ran and Chen do as well, of course. And Rinnosuke I think? Plus some others who had minor interactions with her here and there.

Basically, a fair amount of people who not named "Reimu" actually like Yukari, even if they're also usually suspicious of her because she's Yukari. Reimu does not like anyone because she is fueled by hatred for all things living, dead, and somewhere in between.

Edit: Oh, the Lunarians probably don't like her either, but that's good because they suck and one should not desire their approval.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 29, 2019

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

I think Suika likes Yukari too. Ran and Chen do as well, of course. And Rinnosuke I think?
You say "of course" like it's obvious. Personally, I program my computers to hate me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

I think Suika likes Yukari too. Ran and Chen do as well, of course. And Rinnosuke I think? Plus some others who had minor interactions with her here and there.

Basically, a fair amount of people who not named "Reimu" actually like Yukari, even if they're also usually suspicious of her because she's Yukari. Reimu does not like anyone because she is fueled by hatred for all things living, dead, and somewhere in between.

Edit: Oh, the Lunarians probably don't like her either, but that's good because they suck and one should not desire their approval.

Reimu is filled with friendship and care. So much so that it often interferes with her job.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Reimu just wants to laze about and get money. People just keep starting poo poo and it gets annoying, you know?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Reimu is more or less the fantasy version of Aggressive Retsuko at this point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Miko Cycle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Miko might be the Platonic ideal of a Touhou character.