Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

priznat posted:

I have yet to try a coffee available at costco that I like, unfortunately. Most are way too heavily roasted.

You should really try this, medium roast, extremely pleasant. If you're used to super expensive beans it won't blow your socks off, but I it's probably the best medium roast I've ever had for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Taima posted:

You should really try this, medium roast, extremely pleasant. If you're used to super expensive beans it won't blow your socks off, but I it's probably the best medium roast I've ever had for the price.

I would buy it for a large event if the people I was inviting were not that picky about their coffee and I didn't have time to roast something good. It's better than Starbucks but that ain't saying much.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Taima posted:

I’ve never seen this one, I’m in the Vancouver BC area and coffee selection seems pretty localized. Will keep an eye out though! Definitely prefer a medium roast.

I’m enough of a coffee snob to have preferences on where the beans are from with central america being my fav (and hawaii but I rarely get kona because $$). At least from the local good roasters anyway.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

priznat posted:

I’ve never seen this one, I’m in the Vancouver BC area and coffee selection seems pretty localized. Will keep an eye out though! Definitely prefer a medium roast.

I’m enough of a coffee snob to have preferences on where the beans are from with central america being my fav (and hawaii but I rarely get kona because $$). At least from the local good roasters anyway.

You will probably not enjoy that coffee then.

Also try Ethiopian dry processed coffee. It might change your life.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

my 'co had some lemony white chocolate almonds today. PB to the Co

To tie this all together, I work in R&D at Starbucks corporate and someone brought these in to pair with a great single origin Costa Rica reserve coffee that we just launched. :synthy:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

therobit posted:

Just had a mug of this and I legit finally understand good coffee.

Also PBUC

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

IronClaymore posted:

There's a significant trend that I am obligated to say is not-fascist in any way, for people to buy products that are ultimately sourced, or at least processed, in their own country. Yep, definitely no mercantilism or fascism or isolationism involved, yes.

I mean, sure certain regions are bad for growing certain crops. And, when you get down to it, no country is self-sufficient. But there is a very real trend for people buying overpriced food produced in their own regions rather than imported food from certain foreign areas that can produce it in far greater quantity and with far less environmental impact, even accounting for transport costs.

Isn't it just fun how xenophobia has hijacked hipsterism?

I don't know about all that but we watched America's Test Kitchen and that's where we learned it. Since it has America in the name you might be onto something?

Relevant quote (though there are several interesting paragraphs in there):

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/taste_tests/1637-supermarket-extra-virgin-olive-oil posted:

It starts with the source. Six of the 10 brands we tasted are sourced from multiple regions—and from one to as many as 11 different countries—which increases the likelihood that the oils were collected from a price-driven global bulk market that prioritizes cheap, not high-quality, oil. Conversely, our winner is made from olives that are grown within 150 miles of the pressing and bottling facility. The company knows exactly what types of olives go into its oils and is willing to share the information, whereas the bottlers of some lower-ranking brands wouldn’t reveal the varieties used in their products, making us wonder if they even tracked such information (one brand admitted that it didn’t).

Second, the company uses a relatively new growing and harvesting process called super-high-density planting, in which the trees are planted together much more tightly than they would be in traditional groves. As a result, the olives can be harvested by machines more efficiently than they would be if they were picked by hand or shaken into nets on the ground. (Speed is of the essence, since olives begin to change flavor from the moment they are separated from the tree and must be pressed as quickly as possible to ensure they retain the desired flavor profile.) Then, by bottling very close to the source, the company cuts out the risk that the oil oxidizes and spoils during transport to another facility. And unlike some producers that sell their oil in clear glass or even plastic bottles, which expose the oil to more damaging light, our winning manufacturer uses dark-green glass bottles that help shield the oil. The upshot of all these factors: fresher and cheaper olive oil.

Y'all need to calm down about olive oil. Point still stands there's one Kirkland EVOO that is single sourced and the other three are mixed. So far it has been good advice and since someone asked, I thought I'd share what I'd learned.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

therobit posted:

You will probably not enjoy that coffee then.

Ethiopian sun-dried coffee is life

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has a section on their website for all their .97 clearance stuff now
https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?sortBy=PriceMin%7C0&keyword=GoingGoingGone&dept=All

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

El Jebus posted:

Socal goon reporting in, $7.99 for 6 softball sized, rock hard avocados.

Also, hot rotisserie chicken is like, hallelujah.

Ha! Get fuckdd guy from like 10 paged ago and before Olive oil chat!
:smug:

*farts*

So I can never bring myself to buy a $100 Jamon. I know for a fact it's a good buy and actually delicious from abuncha previous goons reccomendations. But wutta am I gonna do with it :thunk: ? Wait for a special occasion? Get smashed and eat it like a turkey leg?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

To tie this all together, I work in R&D at Starbucks corporate and someone brought these in to pair with a great single origin Costa Rica reserve coffee that we just launched. :synthy:

Why do starbucks stop brewing the blonde/light roasts at 2pm dammit that’s my fav!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Why do starbucks stop brewing the blonde/light roasts at 2pm dammit that’s my fav!!

loving this!!!!!

It’s the best roast they serve TBH.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Cold brew with less water is the proper starbucks order

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

So I can never bring myself to buy a $100 Jamon. I know for a fact it's a good buy and actually delicious from abuncha previous goons reccomendations. But wutta am I gonna do with it :thunk: ? Wait for a special occasion? Get smashed and eat it like a turkey leg?

Shave a bit off every time you feel like a snack for a couple of months.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Lazyhound posted:

Shave a bit off every time you feel like a snack for a couple of months.
Treat yo’ self.

Went to a different church this morning and tried the cheeseburger. PBUC, but it is not for this parishioner.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
The best thing to do with jamón serrano is to slice up a baguette, lightly toast the slices, rub a cut garlic clove on the bread, smash a tomato half into the bread (just the pulp, no skin), add salt/pepper/olive oil, and put a thin slice of the jamón on top. Perfect cocktail appetizer!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

secular woods sex posted:

Treat yo’ self.

Went to a different church this morning and tried the cheeseburger. PBUC, but it is not for this parishioner.
yeah that's pretty common. most people said it's OK but not great and not worth the calories for taste.

it's not at mine but honestly hte idea of getting a cheeseburger at costco just doesnt sound appealing to begin with so i'll probably never try it.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Fallom posted:

The middle class signaling of researching and debating store brand olive oil is really loving funny though

Like nobody on either side of the income curve would spend time giving a poo poo
My wife buys based on if the bottle will look nice in her kitchen, regardless of if it’s eight or 19 dollars. Checkmate, atheists.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Laslow posted:

My wife buys based on if the bottle will look nice in her kitchen, regardless of if it’s eight or 19 dollars. Checkmate, atheists.

This is actually the pro move.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah the costco burg was nothing to write home about, and was a lot more expensive than the dog n soda. I think it came with fries here though.

Chicken tendies & fries with a dog and soda is the hungry man meal, but eat the dog first because the chicken is approx 1000degC when it comes out of the fryer.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

priznat posted:

So few people order them after 12 that they only brew Pike Place Roast after 12. You can always get a pour over instead! And pour overs taste better. You can actually order a pour over of any coffee.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So few people order them after 12 that they only brew Pike Place Roast after 12. You can always get a pour over instead! And pour overs taste better. You can actually order a pour over of any coffee.

I make pour overs at home so I will try this sometime to see.. Must cost more than a cup of regular brew though right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

I make pour overs at home so I will try this sometime to see.. Must cost more than a cup of regular brew though right?

It costs the same AFAIK but it takes longer.

He is right though and they always offer it I’m just always in a hurry so I don’t get it.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

It costs the same AFAIK but it takes longer.

He is right though and they always offer it I’m just always in a hurry so I don’t get it.

She and yes to all of the above.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

We swung by the co today, mostly because we needed Lysol wipes, and they had the cinnamon roll pull-apart bread in the bakery.

It looked amazing, but there's no way I'd be able to eat the entire thing on my own (I mean, I'm sure I could, but I'm trying to watch my diet, so 12 servings of cinnamon rolls is a no-go). We got mangoes and bag of Normandy blend, which is pretty much the opposite.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

She and yes to all of the above.

My mistake.

Also gently caress the 15 pill limit on the Claritin D (allerclear).

Such a pain in the rear end I should just get an Rx from my doctor.

It is 1/4 the price vs the other store brands though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

LadyPictureShow posted:

We swung by the co today, mostly because we needed Lysol wipes, and they had the cinnamon roll pull-apart bread in the bakery.

It looked amazing, but there's no way I'd be able to eat the entire thing on my own (I mean, I'm sure I could, but I'm trying to watch my diet, so 12 servings of cinnamon rolls is a no-go). We got mangoes and bag of Normandy blend, which is pretty much the opposite.
good choice. costco now carries frozen giant bags of (mini-bags) of cauliflower rice, which is great. would recommend since it's also all really easy to prep. a solid filling dinner that will give you great shits, make you feel good, tastes good and keep calories low is kirkland cauliflower rice + normandy blend.

we got the frozen bag of mangos and it makes a good smoothie. actually we also got the costcos bag of frozen cherries and a cherry-mango smoothie with some yogurt and lemonade and stuff is great.

speaking of which, we really need a new loving blender, especially with summer coming up. i think we're at the point were we're interested in spending some money on a long-lasting blender that will gently caress the poo poo out of frozen fruits. ours kinda sucks because all the frozen stuff just gets tossed slightly above the blades and then just spins around doing nothing and really gotta soak it with a ton of liquids to get into a more blendable slurry and constantly shake it while it's blending, which kinda sucks.

what's a solid blender that can really blend up frozen stuff? iirc some people were saying vitamix sucks now and to stay away.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 28, 2019

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

My tip for the frozen cauliflower rice: cook it DRY on the stove for a bit to get some moisture out before using it in anything. No oil or butter. Would probably work in the oven too.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Xaris posted:

what's a solid blender that can really blend up frozen stuff? iirc some people were saying vitamix sucks now and to stay away.

I've had no issues with the $70 Ninja they sell at Costco, but I'm not a mixer power user. I'd give it a shot and see if it does what you need. Vitamix is typically considered the gold standard if you want to spend hundreds.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got the Oster blender that was the runner up in the wirecutter reviews and it’s quite good. I do find sometimes it doesn’t hit one or two chunks of frozen stuff when making smoothies but it has a lot of power and most of the time it gets everything.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-blender/

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Vitamix is overpriced and overhyped; the Ninja will suit your needs perfectly.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Blendtec is also pretty good, they're the dudes who had the "Will it Blend" web series for a while. poo poo would pulverize a brick.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
vitamix is fine for the actual restaurant supply dealies that they only sell at restaurant supply stores for like 1.5 grand. not for the prosumer dealies they sell at costco

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oh gently caress costco carries giant bags of pork rinds from 4505 meats. May only be a CA thing since they're local but buy that poo poo if you like pork clouds.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh gently caress costco carries giant bags of pork rinds from 4505 meats. May only be a CA thing since they're local but buy that poo poo if you like pork clouds.

Woah woah woah which costco did you see these in and how much for the bag?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Woah woah woah which costco did you see these in and how much for the bag?

Pretty sure I saw them yesterday in Concord, but my brother had already bought me a bag so I didn't look closer. He lives on the peninsula so they're probably all over the bay. Not sure how much they are but considering how much the small bags go for they're probably not cheap. But who cares, they're the best ones you can buy. I've gotten lovely stale small bags from the grocery store before so maybe check the date on the bag before you buy. My bag says sept 21st and its GOOD

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Pretty sure I saw them yesterday in Concord, but my brother had already bought me a bag so I didn't look closer. He lives on the peninsula so they're probably all over the bay. Not sure how much they are but considering how much the small bags go for they're probably not cheap. But who cares, they're the best ones you can buy. I've gotten lovely stale small bags from the grocery store before so maybe check the date on the bag before you buy. My bag says sept 21st and its GOOD

Ok good looking out I’m gonna try and go on Thursday. The lovely store ones are too expensive and not that great. I’m hoping the church doesn’t let me down.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

DiggityDoink posted:

Blendtec is also pretty good, they're the dudes who had the "Will it Blend" web series for a while. poo poo would pulverize a brick.

Vita-Mix ripped off their jar design, so even they acknowledge superiority.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

priznat posted:

They carry this amazing Ethiopian in my local store that we go through pounds of monthly but maybe that's just a Victoria thing because it's a local company. When we go to Maui we always pick up some of the 100% Kona too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Ok good looking out I’m gonna try and go on Thursday. The lovely store ones are too expensive and not that great. I’m hoping the church doesn’t let me down.

Yeah, I think they just go bad quickly. I'm thinking they make it to the shelf faster at costco than at safeway/raleys etc... They've always been good when I've bought them at bi rite in the city though.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 28, 2019