Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Unfriended: Dark Web is only decent, it doesn't ramp like the first and there isn't much tension. The whole "people wind up being killed by a underground snuff film group" isn't as fun as "girl haunts lovely group of kids because she poo poo herself, got made fun of and killed herself."

There was another horror film that was almost the same as this, except it was just one girl who was being spied on via her computer or something and she ends up kidnapped and in some bunker type place where they record snuff films. I remember liking that a lot but I've forgotten the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

No he killed a different dog to eat it. Dead dogs are a means to various noble ends.

Ok but assuming you've scoped the house out you just wait til they send the dog out to poop and shoot it with a poison dart when it's in the bush/behind the shed.

It's like you've never played a stealth game.

Im S rankings in alk the MGS games. Thays why i care

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Unfriended: Dark Web is only decent, it doesn't ramp like the first and there isn't much tension. The whole "people wind up being killed by a underground snuff film group" isn't as fun as "girl haunts lovely group of kids because she poo poo herself, got made fun of and killed herself."

There was another horror film that was almost the same as this, except it was just one girl who was being spied on via her computer or something and she ends up kidnapped and in some bunker type place where they record snuff films. I remember liking that a lot but I've forgotten the name.

The Den, and it's a fair bit better than Dark Web I agree. It doesn't really seem to be that well regarded in here though.

I liked it :shrug:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

The Den, and it's a fair bit better than Dark Web I agree. It doesn't really seem to be that well regarded in here though.

Really? I thought the Den owned

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just finished watching Inferno for the first time. Yep, that sure was an Argento movie alright! Hahaha

BEHOLD THE ULTIMATE POWERS OF DARKNESS!!!!! (shows up in music class with a fluffy cat, burns own house down).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

King Vidiot posted:

I liked it :shrug:

That was it! It's definitely a lot better. I'll have to rewatch it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I've only ever seen the first Friday the 13th and, honestly, didn't really like it. But I've been led to believe that the sequels are better, so I'm giving Jason another shot.

What movie (or what two movies, tops) should I watch to see the best the series has to offer? Preferably something with Kane Hodder, and bonus points if it's available to stream for free somewhere.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Part 2 is probably the best of the straight-up horror films, and Jason Lives introduced the zaniness that came to characterise the franchise from that point onwards, so watch one of those.

That said, while many of the sequels are an improvement, if you didn't care for the original at all, you likely won't enjoy them either.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I haven't seen them in 15 years but I recall liking 4 and 6 the most.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jason Lives is the best one

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah if you’re gonna watch a few, I’d go 2 -> 4 -> 6 in that order.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Chris James 2 posted:

Jason Lives is the best one

If I'm remembering the story right, the director for this one said in an interview that when shooting was done, he took home Jason's tombstone. He had it in his backyard and apparently scared the poo poo out of the meter reader when he came around and saw it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Final Chapter and Jason Lives are kind of neck-and-neck for me. Between the two of them you really get to see the "pure" Jason as he is seen in pop culture. Jason Lives is generally more fun on a minute-to-minute basis, but Final Chapter has that kick-rear end Tom Savini makeup work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sarchasm posted:

I've only ever seen the first Friday the 13th and, honestly, didn't really like it. But I've been led to believe that the sequels are better, so I'm giving Jason another shot.

What movie (or what two movies, tops) should I watch to see the best the series has to offer? Preferably something with Kane Hodder, and bonus points if it's available to stream for free somewhere.

Part 4 is the best traditional Jason movie. Jason is actually scary in that one and the victims are just likeable enough, and it has some great kills.

6 and on are all deconstructive on some level or other, and turning Jason undead fundamentally changes the nature of the character, but Part 7 is very very good, despite having the gore heavily edited out by the MPAA. It's not nearly as silly as 6 or 8, and adding a psychic protagonist is a really good twist on the formula. It also has probably the scariest Jason design in the series.

Part 5 is the best movie in the franchise.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
My top 5 would be boring, because it's pretty much the same as everyone else's top 5. So I just listed 5 films that more horror fans should talk about

The Last Exorcism
Detention
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
Excision
Life After Beth

Not necessarily the best films, but all films that I feel are interesting enough to warrant discussion, and don't get enough love. Maybe Detention gets more love than normal in this thread.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For the may challenge I'm gonna watch a bunch of slashers, with a caveat. They're a huge hole in my viewing because I find realistic violence deeply upsetting to the point that it trips my PTSD and I'm shook for days. It's rare its an issue, but the dice roll sucks. For reference, stuff like Halloween, Jason X and giallo are fine, but then I'm never watching Green Room, ever.

On my list is the entire Friday series minus the two I've seen, Sleepaway camp and every Chucky movie not called Child's Play. Is there anything I should skip, not because it's bad but because I'm baby?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i got the burning moon on dvd from gey muckle mowser (i've seen it before but i wanted the dvd) and the review on the back says it is the "cinematic equivalent of humping gravestones after midnight on meth" which is pretty accurate. Great movie!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The kills in the Child's Play movies are typically some combination of not super gory or/and not particularly realistic looking. Like bloody sure but like your examples you wouldn't think they're the real thing. But there are two moments in Curse of Chucky that might possibly set this off, one involving someone being decapitated and one involving someone taking a blade to the leg. IIRC both are heavily telegraphed if you want to skip them.

Friday the 13th is an interesting one, as in most of them very realistic gore and violence makeup/etc. was made but then not actually used in or otherwise cut from the movies. So you should be pretty safe. If you have time, the massive documentary Crystal Lake Memories is worth checking out afterwards.

That said, the original Friday the 13th has a part where a snake is killed, like for real. An actual snake is killed on screen with a machete.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
May Horror Challenge

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Twin Cinema posted:

Maybe Detention gets more love than normal in this thread.

It's me I'm the Detention lover

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Twin Cinema posted:

My top 5 would be boring, because it's pretty much the same as everyone else's top 5. So I just listed 5 films that more horror fans should talk about

The Last Exorcism
Detention
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
Excision
Life After Beth

Not necessarily the best films, but all films that I feel are interesting enough to warrant discussion, and don't get enough love. Maybe Detention gets more love than normal in this thread.
I was about to put Last Exorcism Part II on mine but other things beat it out.

I like the first one, but I like the second one considerably more.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm actually having a hard time coming up with a top 5 of the past 10 years, but what it makes me realize is how varied they've been. I don't want to have to choose between The Love Witch and The Nightmare for example, they're both so different that I want them to share a spot..

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was about to put Last Exorcism Part II on mine but other things beat it out.

Last Exorcism II is a great example, it has no business being as good as it is. My favorite thing about it is that it was written by Damien Chazelle, who of course went on to do Whiplash, La La Land, etc.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 28, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You'd have a hard time convncing me the Love Witch is a horror movie. I think that sentiment is shared by a lot of people. That's just a straight up fantasy movie.

Like I don't wanna get into the "what is horror" thing again but idk if that movie is even close to horror.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

You'd have a hard time conving me the Love Witch is a horror movie. I think that sentiment is shared by a lot of people. That's just a straight up fantasy movie.

It is, but I especially like that it taps into Euro-horror that ISN'T giallo, it's like how I feel when horror writers remember that there are other authors besides Lovecraft.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Last Exorcism II is a great example, it has no business being as good as it is. My favorite thing about it is that it was written by Damien Chazelle, who of course went on to do Whiplash, La La Land, etc.

If I liked the first one- which I did- should I watch the second?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

The kills in the Child's Play movies are typically some combination of not super gory or/and not particularly realistic looking. Like bloody sure but like your examples you wouldn't think they're the real thing. But there are two moments in Curse of Chucky that might possibly set this off, one involving someone being decapitated and one involving someone taking a blade to the leg. IIRC both are heavily telegraphed if you want to skip them.

Friday the 13th is an interesting one, as in most of them very realistic gore and violence makeup/etc. was made but then not actually used in or otherwise cut from the movies. So you should be pretty safe. If you have time, the massive documentary Crystal Lake Memories is worth checking out afterwards.

That said, the original Friday the 13th has a part where a snake is killed, like for real. An actual snake is killed on screen with a machete.

I found the original Friday the 13th, Jason X and the couple of Child's Play movies I've seen pretty tame tbh. Bride I thought was fun as a teen and just want to see it again. Gore itself is actually whatever, it's either drawn out suffering, or relatively subdued violence that gets me. On the latter, the shooting spree in Videodrome unsettled more than anything I saw in those films.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ReapersTouch posted:

Whats the May challenge and what should I watch for it? I got Shudder, Netflix, Prime, and HBO.

Let’s Scare Jessica To Death (Shudder)
Deliverance (Netflix)
May (TubiTv, free service, with ads)
Suspiria (TubiTV)

If you haven’t seen any of these they are all good choices. Also I never hear anyone talk about May in the May challenge.

I’m willing to bet a good number of you posers have not seen Deliverance because “lol squeal like a pig rite?” It not only has that element of “oh gently caress what if I wound up in a situation at the mercy of some depraved mofos” but is an excellent character study of the various main characters and their response to the developing situation, and has an impressive and very meaningful portion devoted to the aftermath of the poo poo that went down, both emotional/psychological as well as the real other aftermath as in consequences, the difficulty of burying deeds, both literally and figuratively, and how they will haunt you going forward.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Narzack posted:

If I liked the first one- which I did- should I watch the second?

Honestly, yeah. I was skeptical about it at first but Ashley Bell is such a find, neither film works at all without her.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ThePagey posted:

So Sleepaway Camp loving rules, and I wholeheartedly endorse anyone who wants to give me poo poo for the rest of ever for not going out of my way to see it sooner. Save for the obviously problematic framing of Angela's, uh, reveal, and the implications of it being her motivator, I actually think the rest of the movie is actually pretty wholesome and kind of cute? Like it surprised me by having some genuinely not-toxic displays of masculinity that makes me think if it were made today, that problematic framework probably wouldn't have been used at all.

Also am extremely down for horror movies that are willing to viscerally punish practicing and unapologetic pedophiles.

I just saw this for the first time recently too, in the last couple of years. There’s something about it, where I was thinking to myself while watching, “this movie is so crappy looking and sleazy, super low budget and looks every penny of it, most of the acting is dire etc. but why do I find it strangely compelling?” and I think I concluded it’s the emotionally earnest quality of the male and “female” leads and by extension the earnest way the filmmaker approaches those characters and the story. I kind of had the same feeling watching Phantasm for the first time not too long ago also.

I do have an issue with the same part as you and don’t think stuff like that should be “fixed” or informed by sequels or other extraneous material, but Sleepaway Camp is a big name in horror for more reasons than just the shock ending.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's the best movie about camp ever made, it has more in common with Bad News Bears than Friday The 13th.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Deliverance (Netflix)

It not only has that element of “oh gently caress what if I wound up in a situation at the mercy of some depraved mofos” but is an excellent character study of the various main characters and their response to the developing situation, and has an impressive and very meaningful portion devoted to the aftermath of the poo poo that went down, both emotional/psychological as well as the real other aftermath as in consequences, the difficulty of burying deeds, both literally and figuratively, and how they will haunt you going forward.
On this tip, if you happen across Last Girl Standing, treat yourself. It's an excellent piece on survivor's grief

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm actually having a hard time coming up with a top 5 of the past 10 years, but what it makes me realize is how varied they've been. I don't want to have to choose between The Love Witch and The Nightmare for example, they're both so different that I want them to share a spot..

Man, i hated Part II when I saw it. Just absolutely HATED. I don't even remember why so now I'm tempted to rewatch and see if I was missing something or just in a bad mood or something. But I felt way worse about Last Exorcism 2 then the way I felt about Blair Witch 2.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Aww man I love Blair Witch 2 its a lot of lovely fun. People would like it more if it didn't have the Blair Witch named attached.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

So we know him in this thread mostly for Pulse but Kiyoshi Kurosawa has also done some TV work over the years. One of these a 2012 Japanese mini-series, Penance. It's been on Prime forever but i never got around to watching it til now. It's based on a book and about a group of young girls who naively let one of their friends wander off with a stranger who then kills her and how that basically destroys their lives years later. It's sort of really good and really choppy at the same time. It's about how each of these people are "crazy" but also how their community basically mega-failed them in the aftermath of it and how the ends are kind if inevitable because of that. But you can feel the points (especially in the first episode) where the characters make some developmental jumps we know had to have originally been fleshed out more.

But at the same time it being a super low budget Japanese drama mini-series is something he uses to an advantage, you really get into the head space of the friends and how lonely and isolated (and in danger) they feel regularly and such. Weirdly I think the first episode has the strongest start and the weakest second half overall, but the way the series is edited in general is as each of the five episodes adds a little more background to the situation.

Anyway it's only five episodes so give it a whirl if any of that interests you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kvlt! posted:

Aww man I love Blair Witch 2 its a lot of lovely fun. People would like it more if it didn't have the Blair Witch named attached.

There's definitely some stupid fun to it once you get past expectations of the name. I mean, it's a bad movie and a total mess but a little bit of a sloppy fun dumb mess.

But I just remember Last Exorcism II being a bore on top of a terrible sequel. But I'm really at a loss to remember it besides it's like Ashley Bell wandering around New Orleans or something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

STAC Goat posted:

Man, i hated Part II when I saw it. Just absolutely HATED. I don't even remember why so now I'm tempted to rewatch and see if I was missing something or just in a bad mood or something. But I felt way worse about Last Exorcism 2 then the way I felt about Blair Witch 2.

Blair Witch 2 owns though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Blair Witch 2 owns though.

Despite liking the first one a lot and being excited to catch the second in theaters too I somehow never got around to seeing it, but I will be seeing it as part of the May challenge now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

i got the burning moon on dvd from gey muckle mowser (i've seen it before but i wanted the dvd) and the review on the back says it is the "cinematic equivalent of humping gravestones after midnight on meth" which is pretty accurate. Great movie!

nice, that got there quick. the ending of that movie is loving bonkers

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Someone mentioned how they weren’t sure if Green Room was horror. I would argue that bleakness of the situation and the anxiety you feel for the characters is what firmly puts the movie into horror. The gore also helps and so does the ending of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hell yeah Burning Moon is legendary.