Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gongon1050
Oct 11, 2010

This is not the hero of time you're looking for.
I loved Aquas as a kid far more than I should've, almost every run of 64 was the hard route cause of Aquas and the following planet.
Though as a kid I also liked Solar, so I probably had bad opinions on what was 'fun'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Random fact: After Aquas your teammates' ships are always fully repaired, which was good for me because they somehow always took major damage in Sector Y.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I found out there's a rare 1-up in Sector Y. Near the end of the level when your teammates are all on the screen, you can speedup and get in formation below them.

I played the SNES game first when I was younger, so seeing the Attack Carrier approach in the same way made me happy. At least they give you a warning about it in 64. Speaking of the SNES game, instead of a water level they gave Sector Y a "space is an ocean" theme. It was pretty neat and had lots of manta rays. I'd like to see them try out that concept again if they make another game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Aquas loving owns, infinite torpedoes that you HAVE to spam constantly because they double as your light source? Hell yeah. And blowing up tons of creepy goopy underwater poo poo. It's amazing. Who couldn't love this level?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

TheFattestPat posted:

I found out there's a rare 1-up in Sector Y. Near the end of the level when your teammates are all on the screen, you can speedup and get in formation below them.

You can do that any time your team flies in formation. Like in Venom Easy route right after the checkpoint (effectively giving you infinite tries at the hallway boss).

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
With Part 6 now public, Jacob can at last share a picture he drew back when we recorded it:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Krystal is just so done with this. EVERY TIME this happens.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
"Sadly if one of your teammates takes the boss out you don't get the points....

...also they will be smug about it in the rec room for weeks."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Bosses in the original star fox don't have pilot characters.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
From what I remember, you can get sent to Katina instead of Aquas if you don't get 100 points or so on Sector Y. That's why your wingmates comment on how well you do.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Bosses in the original star fox don't have pilot characters.

And this is another leg up that 64 has over the original game. There’s some great boss characters in 64 like the Rock Crusher pilot or the conductor of the Forever Train or Captain Shitbeard the pirate on Zoness.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I've been wondering something for a long time. Instead of a medal, sometimes a ball of light appears and circles around the planet or zone once the level is over. What is that?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That's an indicator that you beat the level while also taunting you that you didn't manage to get the medal yet.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Falco's old friend(?) joins the fray. He's a lot less happy to see her than Fox was with Bill.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Kat's icon on the minimap is also heart shaped.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Leal posted:

Kat's icon on the minimap is also heart shaped.

That's actually her ship outline, like the rest of the team.

Her ship is heart-shaped.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Kat is a giiiiiirl

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Leal posted:

Kat is a giiiiiirl
Your avatar made that ten times funnier than it should have been.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
On Zoness if you trip the alarms, the lights turn red and the buoys don't give a hit+2 any more, but the planes on the aircraft carriers will deploy meaning there are more enemies to shoot. So highscores on Zoness will involve you hitting the lights until a certain point and then activating them on purpose to get as many hits as possible. Failing the route sends you to Macbeth anyway which is better for hits than Sector Z is.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know what kind of sick developer thought Sector Z should be a reward over MacBeth. Probably the maniac who designed that level.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
I fell so madly in love with this game, when i first got my N64. The Characters, the Music, the Gameplay, it was great. sadly, as already mentioned, the follow ups where... lacking at best and utter garbage at the worst. though i admit, i sunk more time in Adventures, than i probably should have, then again, i was a kid and kinda stupid back then.

i also kind of liked sector Z, i dunno, but i always felt it kinda underwhelming that it didn't matter if one rocket hit or Three. But it's real problem is, the direct alternative is Macbeth, imo the best Level.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

ThornBrain posted:

He's a lot less happy to see her than Fox was with Bill.
Speaking of Bill

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Leal posted:

Kat is a giiiiiirl
Too bad Kat isn't as much of a grrrl as another Katt from a different game series that.

I was disappointed when my young teenager self finally accepted that they were different cats.

TheFattestPat posted:

I don't know what kind of sick developer thought Sector Z should be a reward over MacBeth. Probably the maniac who designed that level.
Sector Z isn't the reward.

Sector Z is the entrance exam to the real reward (and my favorite level of this game) :getin:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I never owned any Star Fox game so I had no idea that the Blue Marine or Katt were in it. I wonder how much else I just missed about it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting: I kinda pointed it out (in the youtube comments), but the missiles that get shot at the Great Fox in Sector Z are actually being carried aboard the train in Macbeth.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

Your avatar made that ten times funnier than it should have been.

The Nep LP may be over, but the avatar shall remain, forevermore.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I can't figure out how I managed to get the medal in Sector Z multiple times, but never Titania.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Hard Mode and the game concludes, and it goes out with multiple bangs.

Thanks all for watching! Look forward to Yoshi's LP of Star Fox Adventures later this month.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The 3DS Score attack version of Area 6 requires 400 hits.

It's a trip let me tell you. (Zonness 290 is harder though)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
As an alcoholic and also someone who managed to be every letter of the LGBTQ acronym I can confirm not only that that's how we vomit but it is exactly as deadly as portrayed in the game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In a game that whips absolute rear end, Area 6 whips the most rear end of them all. It's one of my favorite stages/levels in any game.

Also get all Medals on Expert you cowards.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
My personal thoughts on the next few Starfox games:

Adventures: Was a mistake. Should not have been a Star Fox game. A decent enough Zelda Clone in its own right, but turning it into Star Fox honestly hurt it.

Assault: I loved it. I enjoyed the on-foot segments, which I understand a lot of people didn't. Honestly, the worst thing I can say about it is that it's too short. The story mode is about as long as a single route in 64, except there are no branching paths.

Command: Never played, but the wildly branching plot is a disaster. Also completes Krystal's "character arc", if you wanna call it that. She went from "Kinda action girl if you squint a little" to "damsel in distress" to "Fox's girlfriend" to "Fox's Angry Ex-girlfriend". And that was kinda the extent of her characterization. One of the reasons I say Adventures was a mistake.

---

Zero: Looks like a fun game with a solid enough retelling (again) of the Andross conflict, but the mandatory motion controls killed any chance of my really getting into it even if I had a Wii U.

---

Starlink: Genuinely the best Star Fox game we've gotten in a very long time. Get the digital deluxe version and you bypass all the toy-collecting crap. I only got the physical version because I wanted the Arwing toy. And those new missions are neat, and actually force you to play as the other Star Fox pilots, because at the very least in Peppy's case, you need his Pilot Ability to proceed.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 2, 2019

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

An amusing coincidence was that this semi-parody video (warning for photosensitivity, loud noises, and vaporwave) went up... it looks like during the Patreon exclusivity period.

Obviously it's full of spoilers and such so I'd held off on posting it but it might be good for a laugh.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Aww, unless I somehow missed it, you didn't show what happens when the Sector Z missiles hit the Great Fox. One of its wings gets blown off, so you don't want to take it to Area 6. When you call on it to shoot some of those capitol ships and platforms, you actually get the bonus points but not the initial single point.

There are other unlockables that aren't covered because you guys didn't do multiplayer. Get a medal on Venom and you can play as a Landmaster. Since multiplayer is an All-Range Mode battle royals, this is the only way to play the Landmaster in all-range mode as well.
Getting a medal on Expert Venom lets you play as an on-foot character. What character you are depends on your controller, with players 1, 2, 3, and 4 being Fox, Falco, Peopy, and Slippy respectively. You use the stick to aim and a shoulder button to run forward I think. You're really hard to see and can't be locked onto, but can be fun over by the Landmaster. An Arwing's best bet is just to launch a bomb in theirngeneral direction.
Both on-foot and Landmaster can pick up the dual weapon powerups, unlike in single player.

Getting every Expert medal just gives you a new title screen with everyone in different positions.

Great job on the LP! It was fun!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

BlazetheInferno posted:

Starlink: Genuinely the best Star Fox game we've gotten in a very long time. Get the digital deluxe version and you bypass all the toy-collecting crap. I only got the physical version because I wanted the Arwing toy. And those new missions are neat, and actually force you to play as the other Star Fox pilots, because at the very least in Peppy's case, you need his Pilot Ability to proceed.

Digital Deluxe Edition, eh...? I think I am going to drop some cash on that next opportunity I get.

I am pretty sure the first time I beat Andross on Venom's hard route, I was boosting down the escape tunnel with no wings and a sliver of health left. Really adds to the tension.

I'm looking forward to the Adventures LP. I agree that it shouldn't have been branded a Star Fox game, but even so, I did enjoy it. Oddly enough, I think the Arwing design in that game is actually my favorite in the entire franchise.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I've had nothing to say about this because (a) I've never played this game and (b) it doesn't really seem like the kind of game I'd like, but at very least your LP has shown it off to good effect and makes it easy enough to see why this game is actually good (even if I have no personal desire to play it).

The only Starfox game I ever played was Adventures, which, well, Adventures. The best that can be said of that game is that it's a mediocre Zelda knockoff with a coat of Starfox paint pasted on to at best detrimental effect. Looking forward to seeing you play that one, heh.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Area 6 is crazy awesome. Some of the other games have done similar levels where you fight an enemy fleet, but 64 nailed it.

Zero gave me the dream fights against Star Wolf, so I will keep defending that game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

KieranWalker posted:

Digital Deluxe Edition, eh...? I think I am going to drop some cash on that next opportunity I get.

Yeah, between that, the DLC bundle that just came out, and the trio of Star Fox Pilots (sadly not included in said DLC bundle), you get everything except the two toy-exclusive, store-exclusive ships. And even then, those two are reskins and mashups of existing ships. Scramble, which is Levi's ship, is just Pulse with Lance's wings. Cerberus, Razor's ship, is Lance with Neptune's wings (but upside down and backwards).

But yeah, I enjoyed Adventure for what it is, but it really was detrimental to both Dinosaur Planet, and Star Fox. Krystal fanboys be damned, she is not a good character. She needs to have personality traits not based on "is an RPG protagonist" and her relationship with Fox for that.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 3, 2019

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh come one Jacob it's a planet of dinosaurs, what could possibly go wrong? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Man, I'd forgotten so much about the campaign, because after school the N64 would be monopolized by my friends and my younger brother's friends playing this multiplayer. Four controllers, constant complaining about screen watching, and one of the fondest video game memories of my childhood. We'd have 6-10 kids in the basement where only the winner could keep playing, so it was tense as hell.

Still get a kick out of thinking about all the nova bombs people wasted on me because I was so good at the 180 degree turn.