Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
He Who Must Not Be Named is making more crazy promises for his fans to credulously repeat ahead of an expected poor quarterly report:
https://www.recode.net/2019/4/23/18513045/tesla-robotaxi-earnings-elon-musk

My favorite part is the end where they get some dude to say that no one believes him any more. I’m sure someone will prove that wrong shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He Can’t Be Named as a joke or because this is a safe space like the Spaceflight thread?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

He Can’t Be Named as a joke or because this is a safe space like the Spaceflight thread?

musk chat was banned for a while in this thread because of all the dumb bullshit he keeps doing and the thread fights that generates

MickeyFinn posted:

He Who Must Not Be Named is making more crazy promises for his fans to credulously repeat ahead of an expected poor quarterly report:
https://www.recode.net/2019/4/23/18513045/tesla-robotaxi-earnings-elon-musk

My favorite part is the end where they get some dude to say that no one believes him any more. I’m sure someone will prove that wrong shortly.

yeah, this is horse crap meant to sell more teslas to the starry eyed wannabe tycoon futurists who haven't yet realized musk is an egoist and tesla is a company in poor shape shambling towards a collapse. at least this article questions the hype rather than lovingly reprint it without comment

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 24, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the very reasonable and not at all pressured-to-breaking CEO

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1120801643115663360

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
What cars are Chrysler or Ford selling where deliveries of the car that's been paid for is 5 years late?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I got to ride in a Model 3 a few days ago. It was the first Tesla I've ever sat it, and it was shocking how bad the interior quality was. I'm not usually OCD about that stuff, but it felt like 90s GM bad to me. Literally the glovebox didn't properly align with its hole in the dash.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

luxury handset posted:

the very reasonable and not at all pressured-to-breaking CEO

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1120801643115663360

Lol Elon's transition to twitter anime nazi is almost complete, check his avatar.

And, uh, I'd agree it's appropriate but not for the reasons he would.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
holy loving poo poo when did he get an anime avatar hahahaha

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He and grimes had matching anime avatars for a while iirc

and that's specifically a character whose english va has recently had his years of sexual harassment catching up to him, much to the anger of a lot of anime nazis

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
When did we last say Felon Musk? Too long ago that's for sure.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

suck my woke dick posted:

When did we last say Felon Musk? Too long ago that's for sure.

Elon Elric, the Fullmetal Moron.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I didn't even process that as being from Elon Musk first time I read it. I saw the anime avatar and skipped right to assuming it was some kind of generic right-wing rear end in a top hat instead of that very specific right-wing rear end in a top hat.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I got to ride in a Model 3 a few days ago. It was the first Tesla I've ever sat it, and it was shocking how bad the interior quality was. I'm not usually OCD about that stuff, but it felt like 90s GM bad to me. Literally the glovebox didn't properly align with its hole in the dash.

Tesla interiors have been terrible since day 1. The Model S and X interiors are just as cheap and bad as the 3. I'd never own one but I'd still forgive them if that was their only problem (it is so not their only problem)

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Feinne posted:

Tech Nightmares: Elon Elric, the Fullmetal Moron.

Thread title please.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Tesla spent $1.5 billion of its $3.7 billion cash reserves to see total production drop of 31% and also lost $700 million. Model S and X deliveries dropped by 50% while model 3 deliveries rose by 3%, and He Who Must Not Be Named is still predicting an increase in deliveries of 45-65% this year (its already the end of April) as compared to 2018, full autonomy and a million robot taxis on the road by mid-2020.

The most incredible part is that there is no shortage of people willing to bet on Tesla. The stock price returned to $261 after the news and someone in China gave Tesla $500 million for a factory last quarter.

https://qz.com/1604080/tesla-is-losing-money-at-a-frightening-pace/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tesla-earnings-fall-to-loss-of-700-million-after-two-profitable-quarters/

Edit: Weeks away from Tesla insurance, too!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-tesla-will-offer-an-insurance-product-within-a-month-220735817.html

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 25, 2019

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Any effort by china to curry favor with Musk is going to be towards getting at SpaceX tech.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

ryonguy posted:

Any effort by china to curry favor with Musk is going to be towards getting at SpaceX tech.

If Tesla starts to go under, China is the likely buyer.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
Shot (screens are bad for kids):
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/...e&region=Footer

Chaser (Apple bans apps that attempt to limit screen time, and sub in their lovely one):
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/27/technology/apple-screen-time-trackers.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hmm yes tech executives and silicon valley engineers, certainly the expert voices in child development we should trust.

We did no screen time with my first kid and a shitload of screen time with my second and surprise, they're both fine. It's almost like a million other parenting inputs are more important than the presence of screens in their lives.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Papercut posted:

Hmm yes tech executives and silicon valley engineers, certainly the expert voices in child development we should trust.

We did no screen time with my first kid and a shitload of screen time with my second and surprise, they're both fine. It's almost like a million other parenting inputs are more important than the presence of screens in their lives.

Not to mention what's actually on the screen.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Papercut posted:

n = 2 isn't really data.

While I understand your skepticism, there is enough new evidence showing that apps do lead to various types of addiction... and how could they not? They're explicitly designed to be sticky (I've worked on mobile dev briefly... this was the design philosophy)... to prey on the various feedback loops that drive "engagement" (more well-known examples are microtransactions, loot boxes, etc). Add in the fact that the lymbic system, which is responsible for taking risky behavior finishes developing by puberty, while the prefrontal cortex which is responsible for executive function and long-term decision-making only finishes developing by the age of 25... and you get a pretty (intentionally) terrible mix.

I know your kids matter to you more than some kind of study and things like addictive behavior won't necessarily manifest in everyone... but there is enough evidence to suggest that apps designed explicitly for addiction are having negative behavioral effects.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Cool how you assume anything that is being done on a "screen" is some sort of addictive app.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

n = 2 isn't really data.

While I understand your skepticism, there is enough new evidence showing that apps do lead to various types of addiction... and how could they not? They're explicitly designed to be sticky (I've worked on mobile dev briefly... this was the design philosophy)... to prey on the various feedback loops that drive "engagement" (more well-known examples are microtransactions, loot boxes, etc). Add in the fact that the lymbic system, which is responsible for taking risky behavior finishes developing by puberty, while the prefrontal cortex which is responsible for executive function and long-term decision-making only finishes developing by the age of 25... and you get a pretty (intentionally) terrible mix.

I know your kids matter to you more than some kind of study and things like addictive behavior won't necessarily manifest in everyone... but there is enough evidence to suggest that apps designed explicitly for addiction are having negative behavioral effects.

Screen time != Apps

The idea of letting any child play with 'apps' is different than other behavior that can also lead to addiction is weird to me as well.

I get most parents aren't digitally literate, but these studies seem like alarmist crap with no way to actually replicate the data or falsify it.

As is the case with most psych studies.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Pembroke Fuse posted:

n = 2 isn't really data.

Neither is the n=10 or whatever they rely on for the NY Times article. I'm not even opposed to the idea that screen time is bad for kids, but that article is just clickbait trash.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Screen time is already a useless concept outside of being a puritan scold to be quite honest. It's not like there's really a unity of experiences between playing a bad game vs watching an episode of some kids show vs reading about dinosaurs for school, even though they're all things a kid might do. Since it's 21st century they're going to do all of those on a screen at some point.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

It's interesting how this isn't any sort of study that is listing any sort of actual negative effects, just some random list of tech industry people who have any sort of limit on any sort of technology recast into "these guys KNOW SOMETHING". Even the random researcher that is the closest thing to an expert the article cites allows screens on car and plane rides and the most specific thing they say about their rules is that it's soften to allow the kids to watch one movie a week.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I'm basically with Pembroke Fuse, though I could be wrong. I would definitely take "good" parents who let their kids go nuts on phones/tablets over "bad" parents (not even neglectful or abusive, just amorphously bad examples, bad priorities, bad emotional control etc.) who are strict about screen time. But I do think getting locked into that narrow reward spin cycle that screens tend to deal in is pretty common, and it's probably not great for development. I think a little exposure is probably good or at least harmless, though.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The "addiction = bad" mindset is a slippery slope to "things that make you feel good = bad", which is how you get bans on music, movies, extra-marital sex, etc.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

qkkl posted:

The "addiction = bad" mindset is a slippery slope to "things that make you feel good = bad", which is how you get bans on music, movies, extra-marital sex, etc.

This is incredibly stupid, and you should be ashamed. Unfortunately, we all know you aren't capable of it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is incredibly stupid, and you should be ashamed. Unfortunately, we all know you aren't capable of it.

The article counts movies as screen time explicitly and the dad restricts them heavily

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
tv time was quite restricted in my childhood (about an hour in the evenings, no more) in the 90's and as an adult i gotta say i'm quite happy with not being able to relate to waxing nostalgic about pokemon and saturday morning cartoons

entertainment is bad, folks.

e: like seriously, i'm not even really joking, the internet turning from everyone having their own lovely geocities page to a place where big corporations tell you which content you should consume is incredibly sad

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 29, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The article counts movies as screen time explicitly and the dad restricts them heavily

And how does this make his comment any less stupid?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
if you support raising taxes on the rich you should also support banning concerts with more than 80 people in the audience

e: i could stretch to allowing some more people if the band is very big. gotta be proportional here.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

TheFluff posted:

tv time was quite restricted in my childhood (about an hour in the evenings, no more) in the 90's and as an adult i gotta say i'm quite happy with not being able to relate to waxing nostalgic about pokemon and saturday morning cartoons

e: like seriously, i'm not even really joking, the internet turning from everyone having their own lovely geocities page to a place where big corporations tell you which content you should consume is incredibly sad

East answer. Don't watch things you don't want to. You don't have to watch what they recommend you know.

Also lolling at the idea that entertainment itself is somehow bad.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

East answer. Don't watch things you don't want to. You don't have to watch what they recommend you know.

Also lolling at the idea that entertainment itself is somehow bad.

okay fine mass entertainment is bad

some story tellers (musicians, actors, painters, ...) are better than others but they're not millions of times better, so they don't deserve an audience a million times bigger. since we can't tax cultural output we need to balkanize the entertainment industry and spread the production of entertainment out. ya dig?

e: i'm not trolling by the way, i'm fully capable of convincing at least myself about this

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
lol

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the hipsters were right all along, but for the wrong reasons

e: let a thousand flowers bloom, in the words of chairman mao

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 29, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Chairman mao good, entertainment bad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheFluff posted:

This is exactly the sort of attitude I'm talking about with puritanism and screens. It's the "I was beaten as a kid and I turned out fine" of technology.

Also christ dude I guess they didn't let you touch the internet as a kid either because most people didn't have or read those individual sites back in the day as their primary thing. They went to big corporate sites like CNN or newspaper sites, they went through various "portal" websites with the content curated by a big company like AOL or the local ISP.

The time when everything online was super small time was the time when it had just become legal to offer internet access directly to people who weren't already associated with a college, research institution, government, or defense contractor of some sort. It's also when the vast majority of the population often didn't even have a computer, much less a connection, and they instead consumed those evil devils of TV and radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
while we're on the subject: there's lots of talk about demographic representation in fiction these days but why aren't people complaining more about how half of all popular stories are built around a hero of some kind? this is how you get people thinking that steve loving jobs invented the iPhone or whatever the gently caress. ban stories with heroes in them. stories should be about cooperation.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Chairman mao good, entertainment bad.

:rolleyes: