Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Dolphin posted:

winterfell is also cold as all gently caress, for all we know the ground temperature is just slightly above freezing or even freezing most of the time

No, it's the warmest place in the North because of its hot springs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mary had a little clam posted:

"I too would rather drag out a motivation-less nightking zombie horde instead of ending on the interpersonal tension and emotional conflict that represents the show at it's best."

LOL i just Arya'd your arguments, ya goofs.

Yeah but they should have dezombiefied the show like 5 episodes ago at the minimum.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
For what it's worth, I actually liked how Arya took him down. Dany, John, and Theon all try to take him down through brute force and fail. Whereas Arya kills him with sleight of hand.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vintersorg posted:

Great episode minus not being able to see poo poo. Made even worse with the loving grey all over. I still have a plasma TV so the blacks were deep and some scenes were just darkness with no details.

Kinda hosed up.

Yeah the dragon fight was basically a monochrome mess. Too much color grading to tell which dragon is which.

The first half was pretty good about establishing locations but halfway through it got kinda dark and messy.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Are Sam and Gilly both dead?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

"I too would rather drag out a motivation-less nightking zombie horde instead of ending on the interpersonal tension and emotional conflict that represents the show at it's best."

You're forgetting that the "interpersonal tension and emotional conflict" also represents the show at its absolute, gutter trash, worst

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Its Coke posted:

No one is dead.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Timeless Appeal posted:

For what it's worth, I actually liked how Arya took him down. Dany, John, and Theon all try to take him down through brute force and fail. Whereas Arya kills him with sleight of hand.

She just needed to expose where he was initially stabbed with the stone by the forest people, I’m guessing

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Scooter_McCabe posted:

As for all the arm chair generals talking about how they could command the armies of the living better they are all forgetting one thing: Nothing punishes the undead like a modified Oldsmobile Cutlass.

Delta 88.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Zotix posted:

I just can't believe that not a single major character died in this episode, yeah we lost some supporting characters, but gently caress. The last time a death really felt visceral was what, maybe season 4 with the Viper eating it. Sure Jon died in 6, but we all knew his rear end was coming back.

Another example of a twist death that made sense in retrospect! Viper man is super conceited, and the Mountain is a savage monster, so of course Viper gets knocked down and the Mountain punctures his grape of a head. Only surprising because we expect and want the good looking and charismatic people to win.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Positives taken away from this episode:

1. this would have been more ridiculous if there wasn't the show and we needed to wait 17 more years for the books for this ending to that poo poo

2. that's literally it there is no 2.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Everyone, just be glad that dragon fire didn't kill the night king, that would have been a bummer.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the dragon fight was basically a monochrome mess. Too much color grading to tell which dragon is which.

The first half was pretty good about establishing locations but halfway through it got kinda dark and messy.

I have some inside info but watch this episode again in a few months.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

You're forgetting that the "interpersonal tension and emotional conflict" also represents the show at its absolute, gutter trash, worst

Nah, that's just not true.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

Did any dothraki survive that initial charge? I feel like I remember seeing some staggering back, but it was all so chaotic after that.

Yeah, it showed a few. Didn't notice any after that unless they were getting revived by the NK. I watched it with my parents at their house which was a mistake since they have an "HD" package for their 4K TV that I think only gets stuff as high as 720p transmitted to them so it looked like a blurry pixellated mess.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Sydin posted:

Also maybe I'm misremembering my lore but wasn't Valarian Steel's whole thing that it was forged in dragon fire? Also isn't the whole point of "dragon glass" that it's obsidian and thus also forged in fire? Why would the Night King be vulnerable to either of those but not to actual dragon fire itself?

...huh. wait, yeah?! So dragon fire straight from the tap of a fire breathing dragon who breathes magic fire is totally useless but a single stab with magic metal and oops you won the war? I don't follow that internal logic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Majorian posted:

This. Everyone who didn't like this episode needs to remember that GRRM isn't as good a writer as they remember when they were teens reading the first couple books.

Also my wife just brought up a good point, which is, "Why the gently caress didn't the Starks burn the bodies in the crypts?"

The Starks no longer believe in white walkers, only the wildlings still burn the dead.

Remember, that's why Ned executes the "deserter" who saw a walker in s1e1.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
dumb question but the song that was playing in the last 5 minutes or so, is that one we've heard before? it sounded incredibly familisr but i couldnt place it

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, it showed a few. Didn't notice any after that unless they were getting revived by the NK. I watched it with my parents at their house which was a mistake since they have an "HD" package for their 4K TV that I think only gets stuff as high as 720p transmitted to them so it looked like a blurry pixellated mess.

a lot of it was a pixellated blurry mess. Tight shots in the dark. Anything else would be avengers end game money.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

The Starks no longer believe in white walkers, only the wildlings still burn the dead.

Remember, that's why Ned executes the "deserter" who saw a walker in s1e1.

I'm talking about even in the last season or two. Jon and Sansa had plenty of time.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'll actually buy that as a semi-decent explainer for that scene.

I would have much preferred it if we had seen Arya making her way from Point A to Point B, though, rather than her being gone for basically all of the last 20 minutes. Just so it didn't feel as out of left field.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Xanderkish posted:

I'll actually buy that as a semi-decent explainer for that scene.

I would have much preferred it if we had seen Arya making her way from Point A to Point B, though, rather than her being gone for basically all of the last 20 minutes. Just so it didn't feel as out of left field.

I do agree with this, and I love the idea of her face-swapping with one of the ancillary White Walkers to stick NK.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Dany spent 5 seasons building an army of Dothraki and Unsullied and they lasted all of ten minutes

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

tin can made man posted:

...huh. wait, yeah?! So dragon fire straight from the tap of a fire breathing dragon who breathes magic fire is totally useless but a single stab with magic metal and oops you won the war? I don't follow that internal logic

you dont follow the logic of "its magic brah"?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I have no problem with the episode as a whole or the fact that the Night King died and the zombies are gone. It's just the way he died was really stupid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

Also maybe I'm misremembering my lore but wasn't Valarian Steel's whole thing that it was forged in dragon fire? Also isn't the whole point of "dragon glass" that it's obsidian and thus also forged in fire? Why would the Night King be vulnerable to either of those but not to actual dragon fire itself?

Reasons!!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as per standard battle scene fare i'm expecting a poo poo ton more of the army survived than it looked like. like probably got cut in half, the rest bravely ran out the back door to regroup and they would have been back if arya didn't spoil the fun for everyone

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Majorian posted:

Nah, that's just not true.

'Oh boy I sure love distracting from Hardhome, Mance Rayder, and literally everything that happens north of the wall with another episode of the Sand Snakes, Arya's faceless men training, and Shae"

see I can do it too

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Its Coke posted:

remember when jon saw sam getting zerged by zombies and did nothing

then in a different scene sam was back against the wall with brienne and jamie just getting squeezed

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

except theres nothing interpersonal or emotional about cersei v daenarys, both of those characters suck and are boring

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Endgame + this episode in the same weekend is bad rear end af

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I have no problem with the episode as a whole or the fact that the Night King died and the zombies are gone. It's just the way he died was really stupid.
I can’t think of a way for him to die that wouldn’t be stupid given what they’ve established about him

And that was always the problem with the zombie army story

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FizFashizzle posted:

remember when jon saw sam getting zerged by zombies and did nothing

then in a different scene sam was back against the wall with brienne and jamie just getting squeezed

"Sorry Sam, I gotta go save Bran!"

*Ignores Bran to try and 1v1 a zombie dragon for no reason.*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Majorian posted:

I'm talking about even in the last season or two. Jon and Sansa had plenty of time.

Yeah that's just sloppy.

I mean when they hit phase 2 of the battle everybody was screaming "man the walls! Gogogogo!"

If the walls aren't already manned at that point, every single person in charge absolutely loving sucks at their job. Wtf???

They planned for falling back but then they sat around not doing anything, with nobody on the walls??? Just doesn't make sense. Entirely for the audience's benefit / fake tension.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
dumb parts:
Arya and Hound cowards and the library stuff
Bran warging into a few ravens, warg into a dragon you stupid cripple
lighting/effects that made everyone hate their televisions
dragon fights were confusing

cool parts:
Mellisandre = MVP
The whole start of the battle was a fun horror movie
Lady mormont
Night king zombie stuff is over, back to gaming over throneses

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Bip Roberts posted:

No one is dead.

I'm pretty sure I saw Gilly getting dragged off in the crypts

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There's no good or satisfying way to defeat him. He's the champion of the god of death with an infinite dead army fighting a bunch of jackass kids with, like, 20 Good Men.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

'Oh boy I sure love distracting from Hardhome, Mancy Rayder, and literally everything that happens north of the wall with another episode of the Sand Snakes, Arya's faceless men training, and Shae"

see I can do it too

Mmmm yes, that's everything that could be described as "interpersonal drama" in this story. I am undone.:jerkbag:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

wyoak posted:

I can’t think of a way for him to die that wouldn’t be stupid given what they’ve established about him

And that was always the problem with the zombie army story

arguably the only tv show that didnt end in a way that pissed someone off was breaking bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Episode had a lot of awesome moments. Dothraki lights going out. Rezzing all the dead people. Mormont girl. Dragon getting zombie swarmed and then RAINING ZOMBIES

Arya somehow sprinting through an entire undead army is dumb even if I do admit i was not expecting her to anime teleport behind the night king. so it was kinda bad rear end at least.

But the worst part was Bran. What a waste of a loving character arc. Whats his point? He didn't do anything! All that build up and backstory and nothing happens lol. Like, what would even happen of the night king succeeded in killing the 3 eyed raven? He better serve some kind of purpose in the end.