Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Nobody cares about Yohn Royce.

it would've been cool if waymar royce's wight had shown up and eaten him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bran: Theon just stay here Aryas about to 360 noscope the night-.....theon?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ice Dracula being one giant MacGuffin is extremely On Brand for ASIOF and I’m honestly a little sad we didn’t get to read it first.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
I was promised giant ice spiders. This is loving bullshit!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

To be fair Jon Snow is a loving awful tactician and I fully expected him to be that stupid

I know that was stupid, but the effect was pretty cool. I got excited when Melly lit those swords up. I didn't see the last 1/4, but overall the episode was a good horror/combat flick. I'm surprised to hear that winterfell survived and NK died. I thought bran would put it out of the fire in the last few minutes - warging into the NKs dragon or someshit. So yeah, him flipping around with this crows was kind of dumb, unless we find out next episode it served some purpose - like I dunno, maybe they all had messages they were sending out because secretly he's the blackfyre now, and his goal is to regain the thrown. He'll like warg into ser gregor at the last moment, behead jon sit upon the throne cackling. I would love that poo poo.

So, since we have 3 episodes left, wtf. Either there is some additional new twist/threat that bran is going to tell us about, or its gonna be a lot of loving drama and one more battle.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The battle was crap and bereft of tension. No one important died and people who looked like they were going to were saved at the last second constantly.

Really? I agree with you on the tactical part - but I thought it was tense as hell.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caf posted:

Just lmao that Cersei is the end boss of the series

I'm hoping it's either Bran or an insane KellyC

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PittTheElder posted:

At least tonight's episode of Barry was loving amazing.

Ohhh and I missed last weeks - double barry!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

the writers literally just sit around at the start of every season going "what would look AWESOME as a gif" and then loosely connect them with awful dialogue and everyone sits around to congratulate them on it.

The thing is, this makes you more money than actually writing a good story

I thought it was fine - it was stupid as gently caress for the Dothraki to all kill themselves for no reason at the beginning just to even the odds, the entire defensive strategy was idiotic. The dragon battle was actually pretty dope from what I could actually follow. When Arya ran off I thought she was gonna faceless man herself as a wight or White walker or something to get close to the Night King but whatever.

I'm glad the entirety of Bran's storyline leads up to him being bait and playing literally no useful role whatsoever. Good poo poo!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

kcroy posted:

I'm hoping it's either Bran or an insane KellyC

No way this show has the guts to turn their liberal feminist icon into the villain.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

JumpinJackFlash posted:

I was promised giant ice spiders. This is loving bullshit!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
The crows had messages he was sending, it looked like to me.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm glad the entirety of Bran's storyline leads up to him being bait and playing literally no useful role whatsoever. Good poo poo!

He was there to get the NK to expose himself.

:pedo:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"The cousin or cousin-in-law of The Prince or Princess that was Promised shall bring the Dawn."

Prophecies, man. Gotta read the fine print on that poo poo.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I think my friends tv just sucks for the dark, quick scenes of this show. It was a struggle with my group of friends for us just trying to figure out who we were seeing half the time. I’m not sure if it was intentional to mirror the chaos of the battle but drat did it suck to watch for the first 45 or so minutes.

I’m gonna watch it again on my pc or plasma tv and see if that’s an improvement.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So if Azor Ahai is the one who kills NK, then what the gently caress out of the AA prophecy applies to Tiny Anime Princess?

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

So if Azor Ahai is the one who kills NK, then what the gently caress out of the AA prophecy applies to Tiny Anime Princess?
turns out azor ahai is just 'the guy who gets everyone together'

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Unormal posted:

Each of them had two words on, delivered to all remaining leal lords of the land.

"GET HYPE".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrFlibble posted:

Each of them had two words on, delivered to all remaining leal lords of the land.

"GET HYPE".

Cersei: "...The gently caress does 'get hype' mean?"

Gregor: [runs in a straight line toward Winterfell]

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unormal posted:

Blackfyre rebellion starts... NOW!

Kavak posted:

No way this show has the guts to turn their liberal feminist icon into the villain.

well, I think you are politicizing it a bit much, but yeah you are probably right.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
They could at least have had arya face-shift into Bran or something.

Last episode: The night king starts awake sitting straight up and screaming and it was all a bad dream and actually he won 1,000 years ago, he wipes his forehead and gets up to make ice coffee.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 29, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jesus Christ that closeup makes it impossible to unsee the 3d printer tracks on that dagger handle.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kcroy posted:

well, I think you are politicizing it a bit much, but yeah you are probably right.

It's not him. Literally every political writer, op-ed, etc. for the last 5 years has written at least a hundred columns about "Bernie is Jaime and Hillary is Dany and Ted Cruz is Hot Pie" and it's been loving exhausting if you follow politics and titty dragons.

Almost like pundits are loving hacks.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

I never paid much attention to AA, because I assumed the prophecy was fake / undependable. There is a meta plotline that is dumped in the show, and god knows if it will get resolution in the books. Namely - what are gods, are they real, what is their relation to magic. So far the only real functioning magic we've seen is blood magic ( or maybe gently caress magic ) right? But with the dragons coming, fire magic is more common ( or vice versa ). It seems to me the prophesy is tied up in that. If it's real, I think there needs to be some explaination as to why - but I think it's far more likely that it's as unreliable as every other "god" we've seen.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's not him. Literally every political writer, op-ed, etc. for the last 5 years has written at least a hundred columns about "Bernie is Jaime and Hillary is Dany and Ted Cruz is Hot Pie" and it's been loving exhausting if you follow politics and titty dragons.

Almost like pundits are loving hacks.

huh, I guess my politics / tits / dragons venn diagram is a bit different, since I sidestep anyone who would seriously comment on GoT. So yeah, sorry for putting that on you!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's fine that Azor Ahai turned out to be bollocks, but I wish they'd had several moments interspersed where people are like "hang on, that doesn't really make sense, why are we buying into this" other than Missandei being all "it could be a girl too mate the word is genderless"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

D&D forgot what Azor Ahai is 3 seasons ago

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

They posted an inside the episode video on YouTube and they straight up said that of all the candidates they had to take out the Night King they ruled Jon out like 3 years ago because he was always gonna be the boring predictable pick. So boop, Arya.

I just hope somewhere in New Mexico right now GRRM is sitting in a Lay-Z-Boy screaming obscenities with no one around to hear it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"According to prophecy, our champion will be reborn to wake dragons from stone and reforge the great sword Lightbringer that defeated the darkness those thousands of years ago. If the old tales are true, a terrible weapon forged with a loving wife's heart. Part of me thinks man was well rid of it, but great power requires great sacrifice. That much at least the Lord of Light is clear on."

"There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him."

"When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone. The bleeding star has come and gone, and Dragonstone is the place of smoke and salt."

banned from Starbucks posted:

I'm asking because they brought it up in season 7. Otherwise I would assume they just dropped it like everything else.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

They posted an inside the episode video on YouTube and they straight up said that of all the candidates they had to take out the Night King they ruled Jon out like 3 years ago because he was always gonna be the boring predictable pick. So boop, Arya.

I just hope somewhere in New Mexico right now GRRM is sitting in a Lay-Z-Boy screaming obscenities with no one around to hear it.

I wish people would understand that you don't have to write surprising stories, just good ones. Jon is the only pick that makes a lick of narrative sense there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I wish people would understand that you don't have to write surprising stories, just good ones. Jon is the only pick that makes a lick of narrative sense there.

David and Dan haven't known that since season 4 :ssh:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Preston Jacobs recap is going to be so good.

:yeah:

I saw the white walkers exploding thru the kitchen window at work and can't wait to see this hot garbage

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why was Dany just loving around in a blizzard for 20 minutes
Why did Arya go onto the set of Resident Evil 8 for a bit?
It was a pretty interesting change of pace but makes no sense in the actual zombie apocalypse swarm tactics enemy battle they set up. It'd have been a good scene if they'd gone and used that for the capturing a wight thing last season.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Dany and Jon being lost in the snow on dragons went on for a little bit too much and I think a lot of the action should've moved towards the halls of Winterfell, not the courtyard.

That said, I really didn't like Jon or Arya's scenes battling/hiding in Winterfell.
:doh:

MoaM fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 29, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ugh I know it's dumb tv, but the more I think about the battle the stupider it is. Like of course they were never going to use the light cavalry effectively, but why build a flame trench and then fight in front of it? Why fortify a castle and then fight just outside the walls? These people should be familiar with the basic concept of castles.

nine-gear crow posted:

Why yes, nobody will expect the anime assassin to kill the enemy boss. Especially not after she has a "why not use your assassin skills" conversation with someone two scenes before!

These loving writers man.

PupsOfWar posted:

it would've been cool if waymar royce's wight had shown up and eaten him

Ah poo poo, that would have been cool.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

It also makes way more sense for Arya to curate targets on her list...than to be Ninja Warrior and save the Westerosi Shogunate from ice zombies. Having her grow into a disciplined assassin was the whole point of her show-characterisation I thought....

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I knew as soon as Melisandre had the overly long focus shot on Arya.
Once she had managed to teleport to the drinking fireplace for that conversation, it was signed sealed and delivered.

I just don't know how the Dragons weren't just strafing the dead constantly. I know they were waiting for Blue Darth Maul who died even more of a bitch than Red Darth Maul but you could also force his hand by melting his army with your fantasy nukes. Nothing about this poo poo made sense.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Shoulda used the dragons as turrets.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MoaM posted:

Shoulda used the dragons as turrets.

+1

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Wait, so, what was the point of the battle? Just have Arya hide in the tree and let everyone else party in White Harbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
When I design battle lines usually it looks like:

[light calvary]
[trebuchets]
[irregulars] [pikemen]

It'd be pretty good for fighting things coming OUT of Winterfell.