Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Tei posted:

Sometimes I want to go to one of these countries where people don't just watch the movie, but they give advice to the heroes, cry and laught like maniacs. I would watch Avengers: Endgame like that.
It would be a super energetic experience.

No need to travel abroad if you're American. Come to any movie theater in NYC on opening weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 30, 2008
This was the best episode in ~3 seasons because the only thing the show does well anymore is big dumb spectacle and this looked like possibly the most expensive episode of a television show ever produced. Also I liked Arya killing the Night King, and the people complaining about it are still taking this show way more seriously than it deserves. "How did she appear out of no where" I dunno, she's basically a ninja at this point, maybe she ran along the castle walls and jumped from a tree branch. "Well why didn't they show that" because it's a tv show and having her appear at the last possible second is way more dramatic and exciting for the millions of viewers who aren't nitpicking hypernerds.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Guest posted:

This was the best episode in ~3 seasons because the only thing the show does well anymore is big dumb spectacle and this looked like possibly the most expensive episode of a television show ever produced. Also I liked Arya killing the Night King, and the people complaining about it are still taking this show way more seriously than it deserves. "How did she appear out of no where" I dunno, she's basically a ninja at this point, maybe she ran along the castle walls and jumped from a tree branch. "Well why didn't they show that" because it's a tv show and having her appear at the last possible second is way more dramatic and exciting for the millions of viewers who aren't nitpicking hypernerds.

And also because not seeing her for like a half hour while all hell is breaking loose might make the audience forget about her and then go OOOOOHHHHH FUUUUUUCK like I did when she pops back up to literally save the loving world.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Theory crafting and detailing what you expect to happen next in fiction is the dumbest nerd poo poo. You invariable end up comparing the real version to your preferred fantasy version. If you’re so hard up to figure out what happens in a story then right a book or something.

Nerds can’t even watch a drat movie or TV show without finding a way to ruin it for themselves, then act like they’re somehow a big smarty pants for being too dumb for a cheesy pulp show about dragons and tiddies.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My friends theory is all the others/white walkers were on strike and refused to participate in the battle or in defending their boss the NK and just let Arya through

They were angry they got forced to go on a work trip away from home

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
*shows Night King glaring moodily at Jon & Dany with bright blue eyes*
*eight billion other shots of Wights and the undead dragon flashing their beautiful blues around*
*Hound & Arya carry Berric (who's ACTUALLY dead this time, Lord of Light is p busy atm thanks for all the memories have a good summer) into an abandoned room despite the 100k undead zombies currently marauding through the castle who've had time to nip into the library and obey common courtesy rules for shared reading spaces*
*Melisandre winks at Arya*
..... and..... blue eyes
*Arya winks back and jogs off into the night*

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

gohmak posted:

Agreed. gently caress these nerds who can’t enjoy awesome things.

Maybe you know in your heart of heart this was cat poo poo, and that's why you feel the need to defend it so vociferously

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

did Jon just walk past Sam crying and about to be killed?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Midgetskydiver posted:

Sending the Dothraki south would have avoided the issue altogether. Also Dany is the one in charge so it's her plan and it's also her people who are blood loyal to her.

This.

You move the Dothraki south as a support force if you have to abandon Winterfell. Then they can carry survivors away quickly.

Against the dead, they’re pretty much useless.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Paperback Writer posted:

lmao, that was probably the only good part

"Stop crying, bitch"

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Paperback Writer posted:

and then literally gets stuck twenty feet later behind the dragon puzzle boss and spends the rest of the episode there. Poor Sam

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Karmine posted:

And also because not seeing her for like a half hour while all hell is breaking loose might make the audience forget about her and then go OOOOOHHHHH FUUUUUUCK like I did when she pops back up to literally save the loving world.

It was so good

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Theory crafting and detailing what you expect to happen next in fiction is the dumbest nerd poo poo. You invariable end up comparing the real version to your preferred fantasy version. If you’re so hard up to figure out what happens in a story then right a book or something.

Nerds can’t even watch a drat movie or TV show without finding a way to ruin it for themselves, then act like they’re somehow a big smarty pants for being too dumb for a cheesy pulp show about dragons and tiddies.

Goons gonna goon, I guess. I'm glad there is at least a sane part of this thread who realizes that the dumb titty and dragon show is being dumb in the perfect way.

It'd be like nitpicking how Dom can't possibly survive his jump off the tank in Fast and Furious 6, just shut up and love it! If you hate it, no one's forcing you to watch it!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This means Cersais flippancy in not sending her troops to help defend winterfell against an ostensibly existential threat was basically the right call.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 29, 2019

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

My friends theory is all the others/white walkers were on strike and refused to participate in the battle or in defending their boss the NK and just let Arya through

They were angry they got forced to go on a work trip away from home

people just like to have high expectations for a series they feel passionate about

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder if Arya taking out the Dragon while Jon beating the Night King would have gotten different reactions. That way she takes out a huge threat but Jon isn’t stuck in an enemy attack loop

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

It's more like nitpicking why Dom was on the tank to begin with.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just watched it, thoughts off the top of my head:

-Enjoyable episode but wouldnt say it was up there with the top episodes. Should have been either a longer episode or a two parter, maybe not have it all dedicated to the battle but at least have more of it dealing with the Night King's demise, but i suppose they have lot to flesh out with Cersei and the whole Jon/ Dany thing

- Basic battle 101: use cavalry for flanking dont waste them by charging head on into the dark and unknown

- Jon just chills on a dragon for 10 mins on the battlements whilst they need the trench lit/ could have used that dragon fire

-arya scene where shes terrified of 5 walkers in the library goes on too long and having her show fear at this point in her character arc makes little sense, she goes from that to assassinating the Night King in a span of 15 minutes or so

-they're terrible at directing battles and really showing the scope of things and i'm sick of directors loving quick cuts in a fight scene which just make it hard to follow what's happening at times ( i get it's suppose to emphasize the chaos of battle but it's been done to death and it is just annoying)

-directing/ how some of these characters survived just doesnt make sense. For example one second we see Sam being overwhelmed when Jon is running past and having to leave him, the next hes just crying next to dead bodies while the rest of the walkers are ignoring him

- Jorah death good, Theon death poor imo, also wanted Bran to call him a good brother as i think that would have really cemented what Theon wanted which was a family

- felt like Theon and Jorah's deaths were pretty telegraphed during the episode and easy to guess beforehand, episode would have benefited from someone from the true main cast dying (Sansa or Tyrion maybe, or lesser but more beloved character like Brienne) to really show just how desperate that battle was. (thought the fyad spoiler was real though i suppose that character could die in a future episode)

-Laughed at Jon being like "gonna get that dragon now! Nope, back behind the wall I guess" - repeat x 2 or 3.

- didnt really like Ayra killing the night king, feels like a natural climax would have had it be Jon, she's too much of a super hero at this point, they might as well chill at Winterfell and send her on her own to King's Landing to kill Cersei

- Night king gets zero dialog? Not even like one word to Bran or at least have Bran talk to him and do something other than sit there all episode for god sake. Also his motivation is just never really well established. I guess i like my villains to be more fleshed out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

WampaLord posted:

It was so good

Goons gonna goon, I guess. I'm glad there is at least a sane part of this thread who realizes that the dumb titty and dragon show is being dumb in the perfect way.

It'd be like nitpicking how Dom can't possibly survive his jump off the tank in Fast and Furious 6, just shut up and love it! If you hate it, no one's forcing you to watch it!

More like Game Of Owns

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It was an entertaining episode. Battle was epic and well done. But from a story perspective, the show is more like the Avengers than the original premise. There are no stakes for the main characters anymore. It's all just cheesy fan service.

I liked how the dead absolutely slaughtered the Dothraki and tore through the unsullied but like 6 of the main characters were able to fight them off by themselves later on for what seemed like as long as they wanted.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

- Night king gets zero dialog? Not even like one word to Bran or at least have Bran talk to him and do something other than sit there all episode for god sake. Also his motivation is just never really well established. I guess i like my villains to be more fleshed out.

He can't talk

None of them talk, they just howl

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

More like Game Of Owns

:blessed:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Horse cavalrymen portrayed as sure of their own invincibility and charging off at inopportune times seems 100% in line with real-world historical examples, so I can't really fault them for portraying them that way here.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

The horde of the dead coming flying out of the darkness was really cool.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Paperback Writer posted:

That was a fun character moment for me, and is another solid item on the "Why Jon would be a good king" list. He got real close to the Night King so he wants to catch up to him, he knows their only hope is that if they kill the NK all the dead are stopped as well, and he makes the hard choice to keep going after that major goal instead of saving his best friend. NK gunning for Bran means there is that personal family connection there too, but I like that it showed he was willing to do the cold calculus that is involved in a major battle. It also seems like character growth over time, I feel like all the way up to his death in this same type of situation Jon would have been too loyal to his friends and Night Watch brothers to leave one behind like that, but with all the wild stuff that's happened since then (The trauma of coming back, being King in the North, finding out his true parentage, etc. etc.) he'll put the greater good ahead of his pals or family, certainly when it's on the scale of the entire white walker threat bearing down on all mankind.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
lol at these shameful posters defending this horseshit anticlimax that the show has been working towards since episode 1. Good thing the crypts had a magic corner to push all the important characters into.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
The only thing that can save the show now is Cersei nuking everybody and sit on the iron throne. Hail Cersei!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Goons gonna goon

:ironicat:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Just Chamber posted:

- Basic battle 101: use cavalry for flanking dont waste them by charging head on into the dark and unknown

To be fair, I doubt the Dothraki are very keen on things like 'strategy' and 'not charging head-on at the enemy.'

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Thom and the Heads posted:

lol at these shameful posters defending this horseshit anticlimax that the show has been working towards since episode 1. Good thing the crypts had a magic corner to push all the important characters into.

:emptyquote:

This and Endgame proves that modern pop bullshit is based upon fan service

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WampaLord posted:

He can't talk

None of them talk, they just howl

:blessed:

This is fine though I dont think it's established they CANT talk we just assume it. Regardless I think he's a very poor villain in a show with very good villains and they could have given us more indication of his motivation with a better Bran flashback than the one with the tree sacrifice, or just have Bran giving more exposition as to why the Night King is the way he is.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

For a show about tits and dragons. There were surprisingly no tits this episode.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What was the point of the white walkers? Just an entourage for the NK? Like I get killing the NK should kill everything he controls, but weren't they independent beings? Why go through all the trouble of creating them in the first place if they just die when he dies?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

ElGroucho posted:

:emptyquote:

This and Endgame proves that modern pop bullshit is based upon fan service

'modern'

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

CornHolio posted:

To be fair, I doubt the Dothraki are very keen on things like 'strategy' and 'not charging head-on at the enemy.'

For a moment I was like "ok yea that is totally the Dothraki not following orders and charging without their cue" but the fact that none of the characters are like "no wait!" as a reaction to that, plus Jorah is clearly leading them makes that make no sense and just seems like the battle plan to being with.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tertius Oculum posted:

For a show about tits and dragons. There were surprisingly no tits this episode.

Bullshit that Melisandre didn't turn around so we could see those old lady hangers.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Not even one zombie teat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Paperback Writer posted:

I thought that was going to be the scene where a proper culling started. Jon having to let his friends die for a chance to reach Bran in time would have been real loving good. If anything it was a good use of character choice not using dialogue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X05TDsoSg2Y

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

NowonSA posted:

That was a fun character moment for me, and is another solid item on the "Why Jon would be a good king" list. He got real close to the Night King so he wants to catch up to him, he knows their only hope is that if they kill the NK all the dead are stopped as well, and he makes the hard choice to keep going after that major goal instead of saving his best friend. NK gunning for Bran means there is that personal family connection there too, but I like that it showed he was willing to do the cold calculus that is involved in a major battle. It also seems like character growth over time, I feel like all the way up to his death in this same type of situation Jon would have been too loyal to his friends and Night Watch brothers to leave one behind like that, but with all the wild stuff that's happened since then (The trauma of coming back, being King in the North, finding out his true parentage, etc. etc.) he'll put the greater good ahead of his pals or family, certainly when it's on the scale of the entire white walker threat bearing down on all mankind.

Yea totally I thought that scene was great and really established how far Jon has come and what the stakes are, especially since Sam has like 5 walkers all over him and is surely dead.

Oh nvm he's shown 2 minutes later just sitting on the floor crying whilst the rest of the battle ignores him.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

This is fine though I dont think it's established they CANT talk we just assume it. Regardless I think he's a very poor villain in a show with very good villains and they could have given us more indication of his motivation with a better Bran flashback than the one with the tree sacrifice, or just have Bran giving more exposition as to why the Night King is the way he is.

He's a zombie, dude. He wants to bring endless winter and kill all life. Motivation established.

You're overthinking it. The "good villains" are the human ones, not the undead ones. That's why it's good we dealt with the undead threat already and can now focus on the actual "good villains"

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Was there a widespread visual issue with this episode? We streamed it off HBO Now or Go or whatever the gently caress, and it looked good, but I keep seeing memes about it being a black screen

People just outing that they pirate the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

WampaLord posted:

He's a zombie, dude.

You're overthinking it. The "good villains" are the human ones, not the undead ones. That's why it's good we dealt with the undead threat already and can now focus on the actual "good villains"

Quick question: is there anything this show could do that you wouldn't like?