Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

What? Most of the main cast were armed with it and survived because they had it. What impact are you talking about

the dragon glass was for the white walkers, who never even joined the fight.

the random zerglings can be killed by whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

FizFashizzle posted:

Can they? They established early on that you can literally chop them to pieces with regular weapons and they'll keep going. Like the hand in the jar early on. I do think Dragon glass shuts them down for good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

is that a serious question? better call saul is the best show on tv.

The Deuce is really good too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Just Chamber posted:

Can they? They established early on that you can literally chop them to pieces with regular weapons and they'll keep going. Like the hand in the jar early on. I do think Dragon glass shuts them down for good.

It does. It was the final thing they used on the skellington man in the KL meeting last season.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

FizFashizzle posted:

You kinda half-pay attention to this show don't you

There was a scene, towards the end of Season 7, it was kinda the culmination of what they were trying to do that entire season, where they bring a random zergling to king's landing and demonstrate exactly what will kill them and what won't

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Matt Zerella posted:

It does. It was the final thing they used on the skellington man in the KL meeting last season.

And it caused the giant to be turned into dust when lady mormot stabbed it in the eyeball.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

To add to an earlier conversation, watching this on cable looked awful for me but on HBO it looked incredible. If you had that grainy view for this episode I can see why you’re grumpy.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
That was a thrilling episode and I was literally on the edge of seat almost the whole time. But it really felt like none of it really mattered. They could have just sent all the troops away, opened the gates, let the Night King swagger up to Bran and just ambushed him from the shadows just like they ended up doing without all those people dying.

It would have been a lot more satisfying to have all these people who've allied for one purpose actually bring something to the table in serving that purpose. It would fit in with the themes of the show. All that honor and hetoics that meant nothing in the abstract would matter when put toward real human needs.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
To be fair, in the books dragonglass doesn't work on the wights, just the others

(Technical nitpick - dragonglass shatters on a wights mail, but then melisandre confirms it won't work on wights)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AKA Pseudonym posted:

That was a thrilling episode and I was literally on the edge of seat almost the whole time. But it really felt like none of it really mattered. They could have just sent all the troops away, opened the gates, let the Night King swagger up to Bran and just ambushed him from the shadows just like they ended up doing without all those people dying.

It would have been a lot more satisfying to have all these people who've allied for one purpose actually bring something to the table in serving that purpose. It would fit in with the themes of the show. All that honor and hetoics that meant nothing in the abstract would matter when put toward real human needs.

They could have melted down the 5 valryian weapons into a ton of arrowheads and shot 500 valryian arrows at the NK if you want to go that route

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Clearly it was all to make NK think he had already won when he reached Bran and could be all slow and dramatic about things.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
True, Sauron was setup better since you knew his weakness from the beginning. To make an extremely nerdy comparison, the White Walkers have the same problem that the Reapers did in Mass Effect, and turns out Arya was the robot kid.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

so the Night King wins, wipes out humanity, the entire world is overrun by undead, and then one day he accidentally steps on a piece of dragonglass

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
What do we say to the god of death?

"Psh nothing personnel kid"
*teleports behind u*

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Shammypants posted:

To add to an earlier conversation, watching this on cable looked awful for me but on HBO it looked incredible. If you had that grainy view for this episode I can see why you’re grumpy.
yeah comcast's codecs absoutely choke on scenes with lots of motion in the dark and that was like 90% of the episode, I'd like to see it in a better version

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I feel like I'm reading CSPAM after the '16 elections again. A bunch of really tedious, insufferable posters having a massive meltdown. A+, would watch again.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Fellatio del Toro posted:

so the Night King wins, wipes out humanity, the entire world is overrun by undead, and then one day he accidentally steps on a piece of dragonglass

Night Prince REALLY wanted that dragon glass LEGO set.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

But it really felt like none of it really mattered. They could have just sent all the troops away, opened the gates, let the Night King swagger up to Bran and just ambushed him from the shadows just like they ended up doing without all those people dying.

Totally agree. Even watching everyone lose slowly would have been more compelling if there was an actual plan.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Easily the best episode since season 4. Of course, the show has been complete poo poo since season 4.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was expecting wildfire to play a part in the battle but I guess Tyrion didn't think to ask Cersei for any while in Kings Landing. Would've been sweet if instead of that 4 foot wide moat, they drenched the fields surrounding winterfell with wildfire and igniting it when the dead showed up.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
All this talk of Arya teleporting despite there being a giant tree above everyone's heads in that scene.

Is it outside the realm of possibility that she just silently climbed out into the tree branches while everyone was watching Theon pull a "LEEEEEEROOYYYYY!!!" and dropped down on the NK?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

They should have had Theon kill NK with his charge, that would have owned

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Anyway this episode was pretty good, some leaps of logic and some cheating for drama's sake, but what show doesn't have that? Honestly don't really care about battle tactics and logic holes, some people are way too caught up on that stuff. Some great character moments that stood out: Tyrion/Sansa in the crypt, Theon, Hound all had some nice payoff. Lmao that Sam survived by being saved by someone else twice and then crying on a pile of bodies while being ignored by the zombies. They realized that even being a zombie he would be a poo poo solider so they left him alone. I don't have a weird hate-on for Arya so her killing the stupid zombie lord was fine and it was filmed well. I had no problem with her coming out of nowhere, sneaking around unnoticed is kinda her thing.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol what the gently caress is Plot Armor? A character not dying when you want them to?

Hurrr durrr a protagonist overcame tremendous odds and this causes me troubles

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

All this talk of Arya teleporting despite there being a giant tree above everyone's heads in that scene.

Is it outside the realm of possibility that she just silently climbed out into the tree branches while everyone was watching Theon pull a "LEEEEEEROOYYYYY!!!" and dropped down on the NK?

Yea whilst I dislike the fact she was the one to end him, she's supposed to be a silent assassin, creeping up on dudes is her number one skill so the fact she got that close to him before any of his guards or whatever could react made perfect sense even if she is just super overpowered at this point.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

You kinda half-pay attention to this show don't you

There was a scene, towards the end of Season 7, it was kinda the culmination of what they were trying to do that entire season, where they bring a random zergling to king's landing and demonstrate exactly what will kill them and what won't

they're completely inconsistent about this (hardhome for example) and all the bad guys were just brought back to life anyway.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol what the gently caress is Plot Armor? A character not dying when you want them to?

Brienne, Jamie, Pod, and +/- Sam getting humped against a brick wall for thirty minutes.

Just Chamber posted:

Yea whilst I dislike the fact she was the one to end him, she's supposed to be a silent assassin, creeping up on dudes is her number one skill so the fact she got that close to him before any of his guards or whatever could react made perfect sense even if she is just super overpowered at this point.

Earlier this season they even set up her being able to sneak around in the garden when jon asked "how did you sneak up on me?"

It's still stupid because apparently the NK can hear jon a football field away in a burning battle field

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Sam's alive because like the Dragon all the little stab wounds the walkers inflicted on his massive body were like insect bites

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

FizFashizzle posted:

they're completely inconsistent about this (hardhome for example) and all the bad guys were just brought back to life anyway.
I thought everyone who got brought back to life were the ones who originally started as humans and weren't killed by dragonglass. The zombies who weren't dragonglassed were already immortal anyway, like the ones who fell of off Drago's back and rained on Dany

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Coffee Jones posted:

Watching the Dothraki wink out like a bunch of fireflies in the night is one of the best images this show has delivered

In a weird way, I've been so annoyed and disappointed by the show for the last couple seasons that I've given up on anything making sense and I'm just appreciating visual flare or cool tension scenes. I can't argue that it was completely stupid to send the Dothraki into certain doom, but drat if opening to the Battle of Winterfell wasn't one of the tensest scenes in the show for me. I'm riding this train to the end so I'm just surrendering to the spectacle. Theon and even Jorah's death got me misty.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

*bitches about fan service and then makes a giant post about what they'd like to have seen written*

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

wyoak posted:

I thought everyone who got brought back to life were the ones who originally started as humans and weren't killed by dragonglass. The zombies who weren't dragonglassed were already immortal anyway, like the ones who fell of off Drago's back and rained on Dany

Yup. People just spend more time writing angry essays on SA than actually watching what happens on their screen.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Multiple shots of hero characters getting smashed into by an overwhelming horde only to cut away at the last second, then when the camera cuts back they're still fighting the zombies one at a time. I had a good time during this ep, but that poo poo was dumb, they body count of known characters should've been way higher. That shot of Jamie seeing all the heroes fighting together in the courtyard was laughable.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wyoak posted:

Honestly I couldn't tell you because it was so dark i couldn't see what was happening.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do you remember all the scenes where the named major characters and like 30 brand new extras were together facing the exact same predicament, but only the extras died gruesomely despite virtually identical behavior?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The Night King didn't seem all that particular about making sure that he killed Bran himself, he was happy letting thousands of wights crash into the castle ahead of him and spill into the grove to rush Bran. So I buy the idea that they needed the army to engage the dead while the Night King swooped in to kill Bran personally, but it definitely could have used more to the plan than "Let's hope there are exactly enough zombies to kill all our nameless fodder and pin down our exhausted heroes by the time the Night King hits the grove, and not a single zombie more."

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Multiple shots of hero characters getting smashed into by an overwhelming horde only to cut away at the last second, then when the camera cuts back they're still fighting the zombies one at a time. I had a good time during this ep, but that poo poo was dumb, they body count of known characters should've been way higher. That shot of Jamie seeing all the heroes fighting together in the courtyard was laughable.

You know that time doesn't have to pass in a linear way right? If you spend 10 minutes on a different scene that doesn't mean 10 minutes must have passed in the previous location when you go back.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Definitely not at all what happened

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

TheRat posted:

You know that time doesn't have to pass in a linear way right? If you spend 10 minutes on a different scene that doesn't mean 10 minutes must have passed in the previous location when you go back.

You mean... Luke didn't become a jedi while Han flew in to cloud city??

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

seriously tho lol that the culmination of Game of Thrones was that every single character went through a redemption arc and all got together and forgave each other and killed Sauron The Night King with the magic ring dagger and none of the important people died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

seriously tho lol that the culmination of Game of Thrones was that every single character went through a redemption arc and all got together and forgave each other and killed Sauron The Night King with the magic ring dagger and none of the important people died

The show isn't over mate.