Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

IUG posted:

I do the Disney Movie Club because I'm dumb and also somehow a boomer in my 30s. I just got an email from them saying that they're putting out A Goofy Movie and An Extremely Goofy Movie on bluray exclusive for members. The price is "24.99", but for members it's $9.98 each film, but again, you have to be a member to even see the page, let alone order it.

I was about to join Disney club. The 4 for $1 buck is a good deal on the marvel and classics I don’t own. Once I sign up, will I be able to grab the goofy movies still? Really want those on Blu-ray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I still keep the Movie Club around after getting my fulfillment done. Their VIP "buy one movie at full price, rest are 60% off" is really nice for 4K UHD. All three Captain America movies on UHD cost $74 after tax and shipping, which is still 16 dollars cheaper then buying them on Amazon and this is before tax. Their base price for UHD is only five dollars more then Best Buy or Amazon so it not that bad outside of the shipping.

[edit] That if you are going to sign up for the movie club, read the Bluray.com thread for it, as it has codes and such that reduce the required amount of entitlements.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=221740

Rirse fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 27, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I was about to join Disney club. The 4 for $1 buck is a good deal on the marvel and classics I don’t own. Once I sign up, will I be able to grab the goofy movies still? Really want those on Blu-ray!

Yeah, but the rule of it is that you have to buy 5 movies at regular price in order to have your account "fulfilled". Then you get the VIP deals. But if you buy Marvel, Star Wars, etc films on the day they come out (and can deal with some extra time to ship), you were going to buy them at full price anyways.

If you want to join, I have a referral link that will give me two free movies when you do:
http://fbuy.me/mFOj_

I also pair this with the Disney Movie rewards. They're the points you get in your disks that get you Disney merch, and even more blurays. I spent one snowy winter day going through all my Disney/Pixar/Marvel films and gathering codes, and I got over $60 worth of free merch shipped to me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My dad finally redeemed all his Disney movie rewards poo poo this year for a VIP tour of the Burbank animation studio, which is kind of cool.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Apocalypse Now UHD - August 27

Includes three cuts: original, Redux, and the new Final Cut (which is a shorter cut than Redux) as well Hearts of Darkness. Looks like all extras are carried over, plus the film will be in Dolby Vision and have a new Dolby Atmos mix. A few new extras - Tribeca Q&A and extra b-roll footage.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Egbert Souse posted:

Includes three cuts: original, Redux, and the new Final Cut (which is a shorter cut than Redux) as well Hearts of Darkness. Looks like all extras are carried over, plus the film will be in Dolby Vision and have a new Dolby Atmos mix. A few new extras - Tribeca Q&A and extra b-roll footage.

This... is good. Wondering how long the final cut is. Isn't Redux like 3 and a half hours?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Monday_ posted:

This... is good. Wondering how long the final cut is. Isn't Redux like 3 and a half hours?

Final Cut is 183 min, redux is 202, original is 153.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Realistically, how many "K" is just 35mm original film? When will the number of Ks in our discs be higher than is detectable as a difference from straight cinema?

I don't ask to troll, only to know when I should start buying physical media again to avoid double-dipping.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Easy Diff posted:

Realistically, how many "K" is just 35mm original film? When will the number of Ks in our discs be higher than is detectable as a difference from straight cinema?

I don't ask to troll, only to know when I should start buying physical media again to avoid double-dipping.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that, because what is "detectable" has just as much to do with your set-up as anything else. Not to mention the fact that when you saw a movie on film, it was a print, not the original camera negative. So what's the goal, to attain the level of detail that you got from that theater experience watching a print, or to make you feel like you're watching the original negative?

In the end people are just going to have to make their own choice about their preferences with this stuff.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Easy Diff posted:

Theoretically, a 35mm film cell is 87 Megapixels, or about halfway between 8K (33Mp) and 16K (133 Mp). There's more to it than that, though, so I'd say you'll still be able to see improvements in every digital format until 16K, and maybe even beyond that for movies shot in 70mm.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/film-resolution.htm

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not disagreeing with anything specific, as fineness of film grain definitely increases with resolution, but at the same time always take what Ken Rockwell posts with a pinch of salt. Or a grain, to be more appropriate.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

Is the set going to be UHD-only or do you think it’ll also include Blu-ray Discs of all that? Just trying to decide if it’s worth “upgrading” despite not having a 4K TV or player yet.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It looks like the giant, limited-edition complete series of Adventure Time is still going to be DVD-only, which crushes my hopes of seeing Blu-rays for Steven Universe any time soon.

Why does Cartoon Network not want my money?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kvantum posted:

Theoretically, a 35mm film cell is 87 Megapixels, or about halfway between 8K (33Mp) and 16K (133 Mp). There's more to it than that, though, so I'd say you'll still be able to see improvements in every digital format until 16K, and maybe even beyond that for movies shot in 70mm.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/film-resolution.htm
He’s talking about the 135 format (35mm for still cameras). 135 is (outside of weird panoramic cameras) always 36x24 mm.

In a motion picture context it’s smaller, since the film is run vertically and not horizontally. In other words the width is always 24mm, but the height changes based on the format used (Academy, Super35, anamorphic, etc).

In practical terms my understanding is that 35mm motion picture film, in perfectly optimal situations, can slightly exceed 4K of useful information. In the real world, 4K is nearly always more than enough and going beyond that would not provide any noticeable benefit. Where it might help is for movies shot on 70mm, but even then you would need a massive display to see it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rand Brittain posted:

It looks like the giant, limited-edition complete series of Adventure Time is still going to be DVD-only, which crushes my hopes of seeing Blu-rays for Steven Universe any time soon.

Move to Australia. It’ll be PAL, but it’ll be Blu-ray

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Move to Australia. It’ll be PAL, but it’ll be Blu-ray

PAL isn’t really a thing on Blu-ray, as the frame size is the same and they *tend* to not gently caress about with the rate either. Not a guarantee though. Could be region locked mind.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rand Brittain posted:

Regular Show season 3 was DVD only and it was a real lovely transfer to boot.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Rand Brittain posted:

This is the same poo poo they pulled with Regular Show. The season 1/2 release was on blu-ray. Then they said "gently caress it" and went DVD only for season 3 and then no other physical releases because I guess they really want people to pirate it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why hasn't DVD went the way of VHS yet?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rirse posted:

People suck

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rirse posted:

Were early seasons of Adventure time even produced in HD? It seems like one of those shows that would have bridged the gap between SD and HD.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Rirse posted:

The biggest is Blu Ray players are backwards compatible. No need to upgrade your dusty rear end copy of Ace Ventura if your DVD still works on your 65” 4K UHD powerhouse.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

EL BROMANCE posted:

PAL isn’t really a thing on Blu-ray, as the frame size is the same and they *tend* to not gently caress about with the rate either. Not a guarantee though. Could be region locked mind.

Some Blu-Ray.com forums posters have mentioned that, yes, the Australian Madman releases are region free (even though they say region locked on the case)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s mostly the rate being potentially a problem for modern TV. But for movies, sure, that’s not a problem any more since they do native 24fps now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If the Madman releases are region-free, I might just buy them then.

(I'm also told that a large number of poorer households still use DVD and haven't upgraded, so I'm not surprised it still exists.)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Xenomrph posted:

Is the set going to be UHD-only or do you think it’ll also include Blu-ray Discs of all that? Just trying to decide if it’s worth “upgrading” despite not having a 4K TV or player yet.

One 4K disc, 3 Blu-ray discs.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rirse posted:

It was an enormous jump and managed to be good enough for a whole ton of people whose "upgrade" ended up being streaming instead of Blu-ray.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cloks posted:

One 4K disc, 3 Blu-ray discs.

That’s fantastic, looks like I’ll be upgrading.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
TV and series should be perfect for Blu, but there's just no push for that anymore.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Rand Brittain posted:

(I'm also told that a large number of poorer households still use DVD and haven't upgraded, so I'm not surprised it still exists.)

Half or more of the population of the US lives below the poverty line, so by "a large number of poorer households" you mean "very nearly half the entire population of the US". I'm poor and I have a blu ray player, but I work in a library in a rural town where 99% of our movies are DVDs and people rarely even order blu rays. Plus a lot of people stream, so your typical DVD purchaser/borrower is somebody who likely doesn't own a PC or a streaming device (and most likely doesn't even have internet access).

So DVDs aren't going away as long as poverty and the technology gap exists.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The staying power of DVD really doesn't have much to do with poverty, blu ray players are very cheap these days and they all play DVDs so it's not like you'd have to upgrade all your DVDs just because you bought the new player.

The fact is that DVD is just good enough for a lot of people and they haven't really felt the need to upgrade. My parents for instance, they could easily afford a blu ray player but they just don't give a poo poo. They stream 99% of what they watch and in the rare instance they need to play a disc DVD is just fine for them. They sit all the way across the room while watching a 60 inch screen, and they really don't care about picture quality enough to put any effort into watching stuff in any specific resolution or format. The majority of Americans are like that, regardless of income.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
What DVD gives the user VHS didn't:
-Digital picture and sound that doesn't "wear out" like a tape
-Behind the scenes value-add features
-Small, thin discs that are easy to store en masse
-Widescreen support

What BluRay gives the user DVD didn't:
-Higher resolution video
-Pro-tier audio tracks 90% of people will never touch
-Stupid blue cases

Yeah super weird that not everyone made the jump.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A ton of older DVDs are lovely transfers with little to no special features. Then it seemingly never gets a rerelease.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

The staying power of DVD really doesn't have much to do with poverty, blu ray players are very cheap these days and they all play DVDs so it's not like you'd have to upgrade all your DVDs just because you bought the new player.

The fact is that DVD is just good enough for a lot of people and they haven't really felt the need to upgrade. My parents for instance, they could easily afford a blu ray player but they just don't give a poo poo. They stream 99% of what they watch and in the rare instance they need to play a disc DVD is just fine for them. They sit all the way across the room while watching a 60 inch screen, and they really don't care about picture quality enough to put any effort into watching stuff in any specific resolution or format. The majority of Americans are like that, regardless of income.

Yeah, this really is it. I have a friend, and I keep telling her to get a Blu-Ray player so she can borrow my Blu-Rays, but it never happens. She has a 55" HDTV, and is still watching DVDs :negative:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, this really is it. I have a friend, and I keep telling her to get a Blu-Ray player so she can borrow my Blu-Rays, but it never happens. She has a 55" HDTV, and is still watching DVDs :negative:
:negative:With the aspect ratio stretched:negative:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I had a friend like this who I literally gave my old stand alone Blu-ray player too after I got a 4k player.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

Were early seasons of Adventure time even produced in HD? It seems like one of those shows that would have bridged the gap between SD and HD.

The whole series was animated at 16:9, which is usually a sign that it's HD. Even if not, AT's art style lends itself better to upscaling (with all the solid colors and thick, clean lines) than most animation.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

DVDs upscaled to 1080p look pretty decent, as long as you don't walk right up to the screen.

TheScott2K posted:

What DVD gives the user VHS didn't:
-Digital picture and sound that doesn't "wear out" like a tape
-Behind the scenes value-add features
-Small, thin discs that are easy to store en masse
-Widescreen support

What BluRay gives the user DVD didn't:
-Higher resolution video
-Pro-tier audio tracks 90% of people will never touch
-Stupid blue cases

Yeah super weird that not everyone made the jump.

You forgot Interactive Menus!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Is there something wrong with me that the thing I adore most about Blu-Rays over DVDs is the coating they put on the bottom side of the disc that makes them near impossible to scratch