Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Macaluso posted:

Jon charging at him like an idiot with all the corpses around him made less sense, but then again Jon is an idiot so it still made sense

I thought this was a cool moment. He was trying to get to the night king before he completed rezing the corpses. It was a pretty well crafted situation imo, Jon's choices were to charge him or turn tail and run, and he took the better option imo. He just didn't put any hustle in it for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just wrote the crow stuff as him keeping track of the NK, but I hoped something else would come if it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mulling over the episode a bit since last night, I'm trying to find ways to convince myself Arya killing the Night King was a good choice. She was trained by the faceless men, and Jaqen H'gar did pull off some otherworldly stealth kills while in Harrenhal. That's one justification. Arya did something similar, but was still caught in the act. Pulling off the Rey "drop the dagger" move was kinda similar to something she did against Brienne in their sparring session last season. Not exactly the same, but close enough for me.

[edit] I still think this was the "bad" kind of fanservice though, because I have to make these justifications. I would have preferred someone else killing the Night King, or don't kill him at all. Or like have Bran loving just Warg into the Night King and make his head explode or turn into another Hodor or some poo poo.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

A better ending would have been that the undead army was literally unstoppable and they had to evacuate as many people as possible across the narrow sea to justify Dany spending so much time reforming everything over there. A better ending would have been literally anything.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Thinking of White Walkers vs Politics as an either-or is a stupid trap that the dipshit showrunners walked right into but the way to avoid it was to have them come south of the wall two years ago and march across the continent and see how the politics change and different houses react to the introduction of an existential threat
I am kinda interested in what GRRM does with the army of the dead (hasn't he said he's sorta stuck with them too?) but we got exactly that, some of the houses united, some of them holed up in Kings Landing, some of them ate themselves in meat pies or were turned into zombies.

But the point is that the stakes are so totally different between the two stories that one of them has to be handwaved away - the world unites and defeats the white walkers and everyone lives kumbaya style would be kind of a disservice to the early political conflicts. The world unites and defeats the white walkers, then degenerates back to political infighting is kinda what the show gave us, where the undead army is functionally a storytelling speedbump. The world unites and is summarily dispatched by an invincible army would just be lazy.

I will say hopefully the undead army ties back in just a little to Cersei - there should be some sort of consequence for her holing up, but it probably won't.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

- Theon being a great warrior, but somehow thinking charging at the NK is a great idea and getting instakilled.

He and Bran thought they were both going to die. That was the whole point of the “Theon...Thank you” exchange. Theon was knowingly choosing to suicidally charge at the Night King instead of waiting to get stabbed, because it was the end for him either way.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Dazerbeams posted:

Just send Arya off to assassinate all your enemies and sit back and reap the rewards. To do anything else is just garbage idiocy.

She's been doing exactly this since returning to Westeros. She murdered all the Freys.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dazerbeams posted:

Everything was dumb even though it looked really cool. But my brain is caught in a feedback loop of just how terrible and nonsensical and unsatisfying it was that Arya of all people killed the Night King. What's the point of the rest of the show then? Just send Arya off to assassinate all your enemies and sit back and reap the rewards. To do anything else is just garbage idiocy.

It's kind of an issue with the Faceless Men as a whole. Why not always send one? Jaqen H'ghar seemed pretty confident he could get to Tywin; he just objected because it would require killing more than one person. At that point, is anyone really out of their reach?

There's also Mel's means of assassination. If she could kill Renly, she could kill anyone.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Look I’ve got a couple of bets going for who’s gonna be on the iron throne at the end of the show and having the night king gently caress that up by killing everyone would’ve been a real bummer

And if you don’t realize that gendry hooked up with Arya so that Sansa can marry him for political reasons later on, creating the worlds biggest sister beef, you’re just not paying attention to the writing imo

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

wyoak posted:

I am kinda interested in what GRRM does

Imma stop you there

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

TheRat posted:

We're gonna need a bigger :goonsay:
for you

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Baronash posted:

He and Bran thought they were both going to die. That was the whole point of the “Theon...Thank you” exchange. Theon was knowingly choosing to suicidally charge at the Night King instead of waiting to get stabbed, because it was the end for him either way.

Bran knew he wasn't going to die since he can see the future.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Bip Roberts posted:

Imma stop you there

yeah i'll just read the wiki

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fart Amplifier posted:

Bran knew he wasn't going to die since he can see the future.

Yep. He gave Arya the dagger, saying it'd be wasted on a cripple, and likely knowing Arya would use it to kill the Night King.

Bran cannot upset the balance of memory or whatever and tell Theon "don't worry Arya's gonna teleport in soon" — it also ruins the drama.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

regular brain: spend 7 years slowly revealing the Night Kings origins as a god entity with complex motivations and goals

big brain: just leave him as an ambiguous, unknowable force of terror

galaxy brain: send a 10 year old boy on a 6 year journey to become an all knowing god that can witness all of space and time so that he can tell us "he's a bad dude that just wants to kill everyone"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

wyoak posted:

yeah i'll just read the wiki

Wiki on what will never be written. Football season is starting soon.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I was ok with arya just coming out of nowhere. If they showed us a whole section of her sneaking up then it wouldnt of been a surprise. Plus she grew up in that castle. She would know how to get from point a to point b in the best way possible. I'm not ok with the nk being so easy to kill though. Thats why it feels cheap. Not the arya jump.

Things I liked about the episode was the moral of the unsullied. Dudes just are organized. Like if they make a tw: got the unsullied will never break.

There was a lot of stuff that was there for the tension. The one that made sense was not being able to light the trench because of the nk blizzard spell. Ones that didnt make sense was not enough people on the wall. The suicide squad charge didnt make sense but it was cool. The horde of undead washing over the lines was crazy.

I agree some more mains should have died but the show did a good job of being like "the living are losing this poo poo." Right up until they didnt. But they told us all the time "we gotta kill the one dude" So why was it cheap? I dont know.

But for 1.5 hours of television that was an accomplishment. Even if you didnt like it the spectacle that was put on for $15 bucks a month was insane.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The spectacle was good. The tactics were bad. And as usual, the assassin carries the party.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The Freys were unimportant by the time Arya killed them. The Lannisters had no more use for them and no one else wanted anything to do with them.

The Faceless Men are hired killers that require a heck of a lot more funding than most people can actually afford. Littlefinger suggested a ton of gold but I'm betting the Faceless Men would have charged a firstborn or a dragon egg or some other ridiculous thing that no one would part with. And Melisandre's magic came at a price, too. She needed the life essence of someone in order to form the shadow babies. But Arya has no such restrictions on her.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Episode was good. Probably the best one they've done in years.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sophie Turner loving rules.

https://twitter.com/stonemohn/status/1122873375980957700

https://twitter.com/StevnUni/status/1122720117689933824

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

twistedmentat posted:

I loved it, but 100% right on it being super dark most of the time. It was like they were going for some Barry Lyndon only natural light or something. I thought Thormund or Jaime die a dozen times because it was just a guy with a bushy beard or short hair.

I found it easy to follow Tormund by the silhouette of his Thanos blade thing.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I wish big shows like this weren’t so hostile to exposition. Like, the Night King was an ancient human, he could have at least communicated with Bran or something to illustrate why he matters as something beyond a generic baddie

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Link to the post when this shitshow starts?

Enjoy!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887003&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#post494648124

Thom12255 posted:

The Night King gets stabbed on the toilet with a dragonglass spear.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 29, 2019

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

romanowski posted:

was there a reason the night king had to specifically kill bran himself? I'm guessing no but I was hoping there would be some kind of revelation when it was just him and bran but then arya had to come in and ruin everything!

Bran possesses one of the best methods of tracking and predicting the actions of the Night King; wipe out Bran, and no one else on the planet has a clue about you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bobjr posted:

They could have at least had the Night King say a cryptic word or sentence to Bran

No idea what would have been best though

"Hello, old friend"

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Red posted:

Bran possesses one of the best methods of tracking and predicting the actions of the Night King; wipe out Bran, and no one else on the planet has a clue about you.

I understand that but I wish the show had done just a little bit more to justify the Night King feeling the need to kill Bran personally

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Has anyone said AryaKO outta nowhere, yet?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
When the night king did his rez2 spell was the death god like "mother FUCKER!!"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

romanowski posted:

I understand that but I wish the show had done just a little bit more to justify the Night King feeling the need to kill Bran personally

I'm going with "he wanted to steal Bran's power and had to be there in person to do it"

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah I just wrote the crow stuff as him keeping track of the NK, but I hoped something else would come if it.

I thought that when he was in warg mode he explicitly attracted the attention of the NK like the ring wraiths in LOTR. It would make sense if he was trying to get the NK to pinpoint exactly where he was waiting.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

someone make a gif of the night king walking slow mo around the corner with his boys

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

when me and the boys go out for slurpees

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

WHY BONER NOW posted:

When the night king did his rez2 spell was the death god like "mother FUCKER!!"

speaking of which, it was funny how everyone predicted the crypt skeletons coming back to life and thought it would be part of the NKs tactical genius plan but in the end it was just accidental splash from his huge rez AoE radius

BlackStar
Aug 21, 2004

A Sansa suicide right before NK death and subsequent poofing of all the undead would have been an amazing, old school GoT tragedy plot device. She had better be a part of something mind bending these next three episodes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

precision posted:

"Hello, old friend"

“Hello, myself from the past”

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

BlackStar posted:

A Sansa suicide right before NK death and subsequent poofing of all the undead would have been an amazing, old school GoT tragedy plot device. She had better be a part of something mind bending these next three episodes.

Her and Tyrion gonna finally consummate their marriage

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

bobjr posted:

They could have at least had the Night King say a cryptic word or sentence to Bran

No idea what would have been best though

Ice to meet you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lezard_valeth posted:

speaking of which, it was funny how everyone predicted the crypt skeletons coming back to life and thought it would be part of the NKs tactical genius plan but in the end it was just accidental splash from his huge rez AoE radius

Between that and the Blizzard its obvious the Night King specced for pure AOE cheapness and is a trash player.