Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Astro7x posted:

Not sure what I have to use spoilers around in this thread, but just wanted to say that the general rules of time travel that they presented confused me.

I know time travel is a hard thing to navigate in a 3 hour movie, but here me out.... Thanos and crew jump into the future and exist in a world where the snap happened and Thanos had died. So what is stopping them from ever going back in time and pulling out Black Widow or Tony before their deaths and bringing them to the future after they died? It seems like nothing. And it's a huge plothole, IMO.

They absolutely could do that, but doing so would screw that alternate universe by removing BW or Tony before they did the sacrifice. Like, if you pull BW before she sacrifices herself, that alternate universe you've just created now doesn't have Hawkeye get the Soul Stone, so they can't undo the snap. If you pull Tony before he makes the snap, Thanos wins in that alternate universe. You'd be fine in your universe, but you'll have created an alt universe just to doom it. It'd be an incredibly selfish thing to do just to hang out with a copy of your friend.

The biggest problem I have with the time travel scenario in this movie is Cap sitting on the bench at the end. It would have made way more sense for him to teleport back as an old man, having lived his life and then come back to that point when he was done (as someone pointed out earlier, not my original thought).

Maybe we've just always been living in the alt universe where Cap stayed behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's a special moment. Its three-hour runtime feels almost cramped, with how much is happening, how much that has been built over the last ten years finally comes together. Even now, I'm getting chills just thinking about how everything that happened came together. It's a singular meta-filmmaking achievement I don't think we'll soon see topped. I doubt the "cinematic universe" idea can sustain itself another ten years to pull all this together again, and there's nobody currently even close to putting something like together now.

Ignoring the quality of the film itself (it's good!!) this moment in movie history is something to treasure.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
So whats the deal with 2014 Gamora? The Gamora of the original timeline is dead...is the 2014 Gamora just gonna hang out? Lose 5 years of her life? Find out she's supposed to be in love with a random guy she probably holds in contempt? Are they gonna send her back to her timeline to like...do everything the normal way the timeline is supposed to go with Thanos? Thus condemning her to be murdered by her father again?

There's no satisfactory answer. SMG is right that the second you start down this hole, you realize there's all sorts of ethical dilemmas and they only get worse the more you think about them.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?

Mike N Eich posted:

So whats the deal with 2014 Gamora? The Gamora of the original timeline is dead...is the 2014 Gamora just gonna hang out? Lose 5 years of her life? Find out she's supposed to be in love with a random guy she probably holds in contempt? Are they gonna send her back to her timeline to like...do everything the normal way the timeline is supposed to go with Thanos? Thus condemning her to be murdered by her father again?

Yeah I was wondering that as well as when her sister shoots her 2014 self. I was wondering if there was any imprecations but it was just ignored.
So does that mean that there was a split in the timeline since now 2014 thanos is dead so the majority of poo poo didn't happen? Did he have a clone?

I wish instead of being so convoluted they would just leave thanos dead, have the leftover act be the first half of the move and the desperation time heist be the second but end up having the other half of the avengers die from thanos click.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mike N Eich posted:

So whats the deal with
If they had any drive to be different now, she'd adventure around the galaxy and be a maybe-antagonist to Quill. They could get some mileage out of her having a relationship with Nova or Silver Surfer or something and he could be a mopey manchild about it that cements her choice not to follow Quill and Co.
Knowing Marvel, He'll track her down, she'll be a different person, and they'll go on some dumb adventure that leaves the possibility of them getting back

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ghost Head posted:

I wonder how much say the directors had in not only using Captain Marvel but how they used her. I seem to remember a while back they were asked during an interview about the sort of outrageously powerful versions of these characters that are in the comic books and they basically said that having them that strong leads to muddled storytelling or something. And sure enough Captain Marvel arrives in the movie as a completely unstoppable force of nature and everyone is sitting around after the movie going "why didn't she just do x". They're probably fairly pissed they had to use her.

They'll probably go the superman route in the future where she has to spend time saving civilians or there is inexplicably one bad guy who can match her blow for blow.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Or they'll just give her problems she can't punch.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

thrawn527 posted:

They absolutely could do that, but doing so would screw that alternate universe by removing BW or Tony before they did the sacrifice. Like, if you pull BW before she sacrifices herself, that alternate universe you've just created now doesn't have Hawkeye get the Soul Stone, so they can't undo the snap. If you pull Tony before he makes the snap, Thanos wins in that alternate universe. You'd be fine in your universe, but you'll have created an alt universe just to doom it. It'd be an incredibly selfish thing to do just to hang out with a copy of your friend.

The biggest problem I have with the time travel scenario in this movie is Cap sitting on the bench at the end. It would have made way more sense for him to teleport back as an old man, having lived his life and then come back to that point when he was done (as someone pointed out earlier, not my original thought).

Maybe we've just always been living in the alt universe where Cap stayed behind.

But didn't they create an alternate universe where Thanos time jumped to the future and never did the snap? You could argue that the timeline without Thanos doesn't need Tony or BW because Thanos is gone.

Speaking of which...

Mike N Eich posted:

There's no satisfactory answer. SMG is right that the second you start down this hole, you realize there's all sorts of ethical dilemmas and they only get worse the more you think about them.

It's unclear, because Gamora is from the Timeline that Thanos left and never returned because he got killed. So she has nothing to go back to. The ending was unclear with Peter scanning for Gamora and not finding her. Did she turn into dust with the snap that got rid of Thanos? Did she return to her own timeline somehow? Is she just hiding in the current timeline where she just saw her dad and sister get killed?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Captain Marvel vs Childhood Obesity

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mulva posted:

Or they'll just give her problems she can't punch.

No such thing

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

Y'know, they're making a Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3. They'll probably address it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

fishing with the fam posted:

Captain Marvel vs Childhood Obesity

She can photon blast the flabby bellies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Astro7x posted:

But didn't they create an alternate universe where Thanos time jumped to the future and never did the snap? You could argue that the timeline without Thanos doesn't need Tony or BW because Thanos is gone.

I'm not sure how they'd go back to that specific alternate universe created by removing Thanos. Though I guess that's what Cap is doing at the end, going back to the alternate universes created by removing the stones, and I've gone cross-eyed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

thrawn527 posted:

and I've gone cross-eyed.
You'll have to believe Tony's snap removed Thanos and Co from our time, restored them to a point before Nebula1.0 had her quantum entanglement freakout/erased the knowledge of Future Time, and his No More Thanos wish keeps the timeline intact.

Otherwise there's a rogue 2014 alternaverse out there

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Instead of the third act being fighting Thanos it’s the Avengers begin to infight after getting the gauntlet. Hulk is about to put on the Gauntlet: “Ok so I bring everyone back to now, we don’t lose any of the progress of the past five years, and functional communism”
Tony and Cap: “Communism?”
Hulk: “Yeah I thought—“
Tony: “Space shield. We need the space shield.”
Hawkeye: “What about improved infrastructure? Our bridges and roads are crumbling”
Thor: “What if beer were healthy?”
*everyone gets quiet, eyes the gauntlet, fighting ensues, first as a little push and shove but it quickly escalates*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dren posted:

Instead of the third act being fighting Thanos it’s the Avengers begin to infight after getting the gauntlet. Hulk is about to put on the Gauntlet: “Ok so I bring everyone back to now, we don’t lose any of the progress of the past five years, and functional communism”
Hawkeye: “What about improved infrastructure? Our bridges and roads are crumbling”
*everyone gets quiet, eyes the gauntlet, fighting ensues, first as a little push and shove but it quickly escalates*

The Gang Gives Back

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I thought all the time travel stuff made sense within the rules the movie set for itself. You can't change your own present because you'd run into paradoxes (can't time travel back to stop yourself from time traveling, etc), so anytime you change poo poo it creates a branching timeline that moves forward with all the poo poo you changed. You yourself can only go forward into the same future you left from. That's why killing baby Thanos won't help them, he still already existed and did the snap in their timeline.

Ancient One's point wasn't that the stones need to be returned to "fix" the one and only timeline. She was saying that these branching timelines will need these stones in their futures or they'll be doomed by whatever would happen without the Stones there to save them (Strange will eventually use the Time Stone to stop Dormammu, the Mind Stone will be needed to create Scarlet Witch & Vision, etc) and that giving them away to someone who might not return them is irresponsible to the trillions of lives moving forward in this new branching timeline.

FilthyImp posted:

You'll have to believe Tony's snap removed Thanos and Co from our time, restored them to a point before Nebula1.0 had her quantum entanglement freakout/erased the knowledge of Future Time, and his No More Thanos wish keeps the timeline intact.

There's a bunch of rouge alternaverses out there, and there's nothing they can do about it now. There's an alt-2012 where Loki escaped with the Space Stone and Cap lost a fight to himself. There's an alt-2013 where Jane was attacked by a raccoon with a syringe. There's an alt-2014 where Thanos & his army entered a time portal and were never heard from again. Etc, etc.

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 29, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FilthyImp posted:

At the end of the film there's at least five alternate universes. And that's fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dren posted:

This is great. I laughed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I agree with that Thor. #TeamThor

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Y'know, they're making a Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3. They'll probably address it.

lol sure they will

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I had fun guessing what scenes were shot with actors interacting with tennis balls (all of them)

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i absolutely love time travel stories, but they require a level of commitment that just was not on display here

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Steve2911 posted:

At the end of the film there's at least five alternate universes. And that's fine.

ok trying to count them

1) Loki escapes with the cube universe
2) Thanos disappears in 2014 universe
3) Evidence of a shield break in/Howard got parenting advice universe(I'd presume fairly minor differences there)
4) Prime Universe

What's the fifth? Cap fucks Peggy universe? But that didn't change anything because Old Cap is sitting there having aged naturally in our universe.

Oh wait, unless as soon as the Hulk presses the button and we see Cap disappear, we are no longer looking at the prime universe, the camera cut back to the new universe, which, much like the 1970 universe is functionally almost identical because Cap tried not to change things. In the prime universe, Cap just never comes back at all, OR a different Cap from the next universe up and was Peggy's husband all along, turtles all the way down.

That strangely makes a lot of sense.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Venuz Patrol posted:

i absolutely love time travel stories, but they require a level of commitment that just was not on display here

How so? I thought it was explained pretty well and they didn't seem to break their own rules until Old Steve showed up at the end, but there are ways to explain that if they needed to.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What's the fifth? Cap fucks Peggy universe? But that didn't change anything because Old Cap is sitting there having aged naturally in our universe.

My guess is that he just hung on to his quantum doohickey and returned to his prime timeline when Peggy died of old age or he felt the time was right or whatever. With everything we know about Steve from these movies it's safe to say that he would not be cool with either (a)deceiving Peggy and letting her work for Hydra unknowingly or (b)sitting idly around when there were people he could've helped. The new alt-1970s (or 1940s?) timeline has a bunch of Steve Rogers/Peggy Carter world-saving adventures we'll never know about.

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 29, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I wish we would have seen the scene of Captain America re-injecting Natalie Portman with red poo poo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dren posted:

TBH this post is better than the actual movie

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RatHat posted:

TBH this post is better than the actual movie

During scuffle it falls out the window right onto the open hand of Avengers HQ normal human security guard, Paul Blart

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The screenwriters did an interview. Spoilers, obviously. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/movies/avengers-endgame-explainer.html

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They only needed one time jump/return trip. Send Thor to Wakanda 2017 and have him aim for the head.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Hobo Clown posted:

There's a bunch of rouge alternaverses out there, and there's nothing they can do about it now. There's an alt-2012 where Loki escaped with the Space Stone and Cap lost a fight to himself. There's an alt-2013 where Jane was attacked by a raccoon with a syringe. There's an alt-2014 where Thanos & his army entered a time portal and were never heard from again. Etc, etc.

Thinking about it, this is mostly likely how Loki can return to the 'regular' universe.

Also, on Nebula: She knew that either Black Widow or Hawkeye had to die. In fact she probably pushed the idea of Vormir being so terrible so that only those two would go

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mike the TV posted:

Thinking about it, this is mostly likely how Loki can return to the 'regular' universe.

Also, on Nebula: She knew that either Black Widow or Hawkeye had to die. In fact she probably pushed the idea of Vormir being so terrible so that only those two would go

Captain America should have gone and he should have punched red skeleton in the face and thrown him off the cliff

e: The sacrifice he'd have to give up is his love for punching nazis

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 29, 2019

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

They only needed one time jump/return trip. Send Thor to Wakanda 2017 and have him aim for the head.

Wouldn't work within the rules the movie sets for itself. Going back and killing Thanos in 2017 would mean they never eventually invent time travel which means they never go back and kill Thanos in 2017 which means... (etc etc). Changing something in the past just creates a divergent timeline. So that timeline would have a happy pre-snap ending but the prime timeline that we're watching and following would still have half of everyone gone.

Mike the TV posted:

Honestly I'd be completely on board if the Loki show becomes him Quantum Leaping into all the different Marvel Timelines and seeing the different outcomes of their time travel shenanigans.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mahoning posted:

I wish we would have seen the scene of Captain America re-injecting Natalie Portman with red poo poo.

We need the scene of Cap going to Vormir to put the Soul stone back. Red Skull is still there so cap is like “So how do I put this back?” and Red Skull unspeakingly opens his mouth. Cap slides the stone into Red Skull’s mouth, Red Skull’s jaw closes, then unhinges and opens extremely wide. Black Widow crawls out.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I liked the movie and thought it was good

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hobo Clown posted:

Wouldn't work within the rules the movie sets for itself. Going back and killing Thanos in 2017 would mean they never eventually invent time travel which means they never go back and kill Thanos in 2017 which means... (etc etc). Changing something in the past just creates a divergent timeline. So that timeline would have a happy pre-snap ending but the prime timeline that we're watching and following would still have half of everyone gone.
]

No no, I know that wouldn't change anything. It's an alternate universe. Aim for the head. Say 'Hi Thor I'm fat Thor I need to borrow this for a second", gank the gauntlet, go bring everybody back, then return the gauntlet to 2017. They created 5 divergent timelines in this and all got home just fine

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Venuz Patrol posted:

An idea that I had read before was that nobody was truly dusted out of existence like Thanos said. Instead, it would have created two realities with 50% of the population living in each. And the Quantum Realm would have been the link between those two.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm a little disappointed that we never found out what exactly happened on Titan and why the planet was so messed up

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

No no, I know that wouldn't change anything. It's an alternate universe. Aim for the head. Say 'Hi Thor I'm fat Thor I need to borrow this for a second", gank the gauntlet, go bring everybody back, then return the gauntlet to 2017. They created 5 divergent timelines in this and all got home just fine

The original plan though was that they were all supposed to be snatched secretly, and returned secretly. That didn't really work out though, so there are some background shenanigans that the movie didn't address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Hobo Clown posted:

How so? I thought it was explained pretty well and they didn't seem to break their own rules until Old Steve showed up at the end, but there are ways to explain that if they needed to.

There's the obvious answer, which is that the time travel was transparently written as a ploy for nostalgia.

The more complex answer: the specific rules of time travel don't matter much to me, but following through on them after they're established is important. Endgame pretends that paradoxes are a problem at first, but quickly shows that it doesn't matter how you gently caress around with a timeline as long as you give the infinity stones back eventually. If you think about the possibilities that stem from this, particularly if you take the same stance the heroes apparently do that alternate realities created from said loving around aren't worth caring about, this movie could have been a hell of a lot more fun.

the mid-movie retcon over what they can do in the past still could have been good if they had continued escalating things, but instead steve and stark go straight back to pretending they can't touch anything they're not supposed to in 1970. they should have gone in guns blazing! paradoxes are fake and almost everyone who works at this base is a nazi double agent, so who cares. go hog wild