Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chic Trombone posted:

Kasia

Quite frankly, Ms. Lain, it sounds like you want the privilege of the title without being willing to take on any of the associated responsibilities.

Really now? Because I am the only one who has spoken on the job of policy making time and time again, meanwhile you don't seem to care for the actual job at all and just wish to spit in the face of your mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Kasia what will you do if Choaneen wants to kill people who are willing to rebel

Kasia

Take up arms against her, personally and with whatever volunteers I can get, to defend wherever she attacks. There will be none pressed into service against their will.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Kasia are demonstratively an infantile person and frankly I find it insulting that you are trying to legitimize a temper tantrum through an important election.

Hmmmmm "I don't like that my mother is literally conquering others, including the people I've come to know and care about here on Sa" is a tantrum, alright then.

I admit my earlier post was made in a burst of emotion, and that it likely was poorly composed. I do not agree with your characterization whatsoever.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Really now? Because I am the only one who has spoken on the job of policy making time and time again, meanwhile you don't seem to care for the actual job at all and just wish to spit in the face of your mother.

Kasia

Clearly, you haven't actually been paying attention to what I've said, though I admit you may not have heard some of it as we've not occupied one location since the last guild meeting.

As I've said before, the Nobles' Guild lead should be a neutral third party in inter-guild disputes, to mediate and resolve the conflicts that occur that cannot be solved through intra-guild means.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chic Trombone posted:

Kasia
Hmmmmm "I don't like that my mother is literally conquering others, including the people I've come to know and care about here on Sa" is a tantrum, alright then.

I admit my earlier post was made in a burst of emotion, and that it likely was poorly composed. I do not agree with your characterization whatsoever.

OK, lets say the people do decide to elect someone based off of the idea of stopping your mother?
Why would we pick someone who clearly is too emotionally invested in it and as you said even had a few outbursts over the subject?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chic Trombone posted:

Kasia
As I've said before, the Nobles' Guild lead should be a neutral third party in inter-guild disputes, to mediate and resolve the conflicts that occur that cannot be solved through intra-guild means.

Where exactly are the checks in power in play when the Nobles' Guild is the one in a dispute?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Snooze Cruise posted:

So currently we are not just voting for someone, but really a sort of vision of what the job should be.

Eg doesn't like Gehn. From the way he acts he wants the position to be more authoritarian and some sort of arbiter of justice.

Eg Greene

I do hope the people of Sa are savvy enough to not take any one candidate's descriptions of their rivals as gospel.

Everyone in the Noble's Guild has their own different talents and focus. I have been content to focus on Gehn since no one else seemed willing to take up this torch beyond just shouting derogatory comments into the void. I can also trust that issues like the developments and conflicts in Channelwood are better addressed by the Dwellers most familiar with these issues, and the relevant Guilds doing the work on the ground.

Meanwhile in the background, members like Gascoigne may not ever make much of a pubic spectacle. But his interest in art collection will prove useful in providing cultural records, for the enrichment of society over the long term.

Ideally, the Leader should be able to use the broad scope of the Guild’s interests to stay well informed on the state of Sa and its connected Ages in general, and then direct or coordinate the members to pool their efforts when significant crises or opportunities emerge.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Where exactly are the checks in power in play when the Nobles' Guild is the one in a dispute?

Kasia

That would depend - are they merely a member of the guild, or, theoretically, it's head? In the case of the head of the guild being in dispute, I would assign it to Alizabeth.

Should it merely be a member, I remain confident that I could act as neutral third party, or if I could not I would appoint a member of the Guild who I was confident could.

Should it go beyond that, I would likely request assistance from another Guild Leader whose guild is not party to the dispute.

Snooze Cruise posted:

OK, lets say the people do decide to elect someone based off of the idea of stopping your mother?
Why would we pick someone who clearly is too emotionally invested in it and as you said even had a few outbursts over the subject?

A singular emotional outburst to the revelation that one's mother really doesn't actually care about them that much should be generally understandable, I would think.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

If there's one thing I value in my leaders as a resistance fighter, it's a detached objectivity and not, you know, a righteous anger and the will to get the job done.

Or die trying.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Conway of Clan Gavo

Kasia has done nothing to make me doubt her sincerity. While I am... uncertain at the prospect of war, I see no reason to doubt her motivations or fitness for the job.

And Lain, I must admit... while I think I can understand your intent in making the role ceremonial... the powers must go somewhere, yes? You have suggested that that be the Steward, but... as small as my say in choosing the Leader may be, it is there. Not so for the Steward, yes?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Do you have to be at the noble district to vote or run?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Kasia

"How dare you get upset that a person you once loved wholeheartedly is actually a tyrannical conqueror" I guess.

I don't think I'll engage with this further, my apologies - I fear this is doing a disservice to the fine people forced to listen to this petty squabble.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Do you have to be at the noble district to vote or run?

Kasia

By my understanding, no, the only requirement to run is to be an active member of the Nobles' Guild, and voting can be submitted from anywhere at the time of the election.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
This channel is gonna be so quiet when the election ends

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Kasia

And again, for anyone that feels uncomfortable with me inhabiting the position due to either my heritage or policies, I would like to take this time to promote Scholar Xavier - he's been attending to matters here at the Cartographer's Guild but should hopefully have some time to speak for himself about his policies later today.

He is a levelheaded individual that I wholeheartedly believe would do well in the position.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Rhjamiz posted:

If there's one thing I value in my leaders as a resistance fighter, it's a detached objectivity and not, you know, a righteous anger and the will to get the job done.

Or die trying.

We should not be using this position to elect a resistance fighter. Why would a job title traditionally associated with pageantry, trials, and assemblies make for a good resistance fighter?
Wouldn't the Arena have that cover much much better?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Conway of Clan Gavo
And Lain, I must admit... while I think I can understand your intent in making the role ceremonial... the powers must go somewhere, yes? You have suggested that that be the Steward, but... as small as my say in choosing the Leader may be, it is there. Not so for the Steward, yes?

No, they powers do not need to go somewhere? The Steward just runs the day to day operations, like every other steward. If you have a problem with the steward system, well that is a problem in every guild.
I guess you can argue I am saying the powers should be more focused in the assembly, where again it would be an even more democratic process than before with representatives from each guild.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Chic Trombone posted:

Kasia

You know, I don't understand your, ah, "beef" with the Matrons. They've been nothing but kind to me, and I'm the daughter of their drat conqueror. Have you considered not ste- my apologies, "borrowing" their things without permission?

Larcenist Brodsky

Golly, those sure are some assumptions you're making about me! Black to all that, buddy. I'm so happy that you had fun in Whiterock! It's interesting, but over the past few years I've discovered that personal experience is not universal to everyone. Pretty interesting, don't you think?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

Larcenist Brodsky

Golly, those sure are some assumptions you're making about me! Black to all that, buddy. I'm so happy that you had fun in Whiterock! It's interesting, but over the past few years I've discovered that personal experience is not universal to everyone. Pretty interesting, don't you think?

Kasia

Then please, by all means, describe your experiences so that I may understand.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chic Trombone posted:

Kasia

That would depend - are they merely a member of the guild, or, theoretically, it's head? In the case of the head of the guild being in dispute, I would assign it to Alizabeth.

Should it merely be a member, I remain confident that I could act as neutral third party, or if I could not I would appoint a member of the Guild who I was confident could.

Should it go beyond that, I would likely request assistance from another Guild Leader whose guild is not party to the dispute.

I can see why Emi Archer looked upon you in suspicion.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Conway of Clan Gavo
Kasia has done nothing to make me doubt her sincerity. While I am... uncertain at the prospect of war, I see no reason to doubt her motivations or fitness for the job.

You want to talk about sincerity? I don't doubt Eg is sincere as well. Sincerity is not the problem.'

This two candidates represent pure naivety, they are constantly making these sweeping gestures and talking about high minded ideals but everything is tentatively connected to the reality of the situation. Eg wasn't trying to make a power grab when he went after Gehn, he just genuinely thought he was allowed to because of his ideals. This line of thinking is dangerous. Look at how Kasia talks about the checks on power. I am sure she believes she can act as a neutral third party in most cases, but again, it has no connection to the human reality of the situation, are really suppose to assume she is a good judge of when she is neutral, or that she won't unconsciously let someone handle the matter who is in her favor?

This type of naivety, sincerity, is much much more dangerous than if these two were genuine schemers. They will present themselves as high minded idealist, talk about things such as justice and what not, but their hypocrisy, the hypocrisy of wishing to enforce their ideals on the world without recognizing the reality of the world, will always betray them and eventually corrupt them into tyrants.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Kasia

I literally said I would delegate and appoint people if I were unable to remain impartial - i.e. if I know a party who is involve-- no, no, apologies all, I'm not getting into this with you again.

Think as you will, Ms. Lain. You clearly intend to run a smear campaign and I will not be part of it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chic Trombone posted:

Kasia

I literally said I would delegate and appoint people if I were unable to remain impartial - i.e. if I know a party who is involve-- no, no, apologies all, I'm not getting into this with you again.

And I literally just said

Snooze Cruise posted:

or that she won't unconsciously let someone handle the matter who is in her favor?

And please stop acting the victim. This isn't a smear campaign, I frankly believe you to be a dangerous individual.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Chic Trombone posted:

Kasia

Then please, by all means, describe your experiences so that I may understand.

Larcenist Brodsky

I didn't have much fun and it was not good. I did like catching solastings though, that was cool.

Am I mayor yet? I zoned out there for a minute.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

General reminder about the fight at the Oasis since I would prefer we not lose sight of it

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

While the debate goes on, what's the word on the Trader's Guild? Has a consensus been made about Channelwood going forward?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
What's the plan to get the Lookout fixed ASAP?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The deal is fine on the Trader's end, we just need a trader to go to the Senate itself and finalize it before we get supplies.

Teland
Apr 6, 2018

Kashuno posted:

What's the plan to get the Lookout fixed ASAP?
We have not forgotten! I would like to see this deal get done once and for all!

I am first going to confirm the details of the arrangement with my guild. Then I (or another Trader) will go to the senate and get everything down on paper, and then we'll get the supplies released and let the talented Inventors get to work! Here's the thing though, since there are several steps involved it will take a little time, and I must insist that violence at the Oasis is ceased immediately before we invest a ton of time and effort into making this happen. You see, the water from the Oasis is our payment, and if you are all in the process of destroying the Oasis, then we will have to negotiate a new deal. I would like to hear from someone unbiased at the Oasis to let me know the state of things, whether there is peace, and whether any damage has been done to the Oasis.

Also, this is a good note for everyone. The Traders work at their own discretion. If any of our members are subject to violence, theft, etc. in the course of carrying out business, we will be less inclined to deal with that group in the future. So please keep this in mind and make sure we can travel safely to and from the Senate, regardless of the outcome of negotiations.

Thank you, Azure and Andra, for laying the groundwork for this deal.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Aosa of Clan Anca

I mean I thought I had been extremely clear about what is happening at the Oasis but let me try again

When the upgrades at the Oasis were completed, a significant force of Reds came attacking. Indigo and I helped everyone retreat into the fortifications but the Reds are still coming. Indigo and I have two options: leave, which will surely result in the destruction of the improvements, or stay and fight. Anyone who arrives at the Oasis tonight will be joining in on the fight.

You can insist that the violence stop at the Oasis all you want, but that ship is likely sailed. If you want the Oasis safe, send help.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Larcenist Brodsky

Hi! Azure told me to come with her to the mayor's office, so I think I'm helping with that! I guess I'll find out when I get there. I'm guessing that means I shouldn't touch the supplies yet!

Teland
Apr 6, 2018

chaoslord posted:

If you want the Oasis safe, send help.
We can't send help if we are working out the deal at the guildhall and Senate. I consider it the responsibility of the Dwellers to ensure our safety and to ensure that we can be paid as agreed. If they can't sort it out, the deal is off.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Hey I know I'm not the favorite of the Dwellers right now but what happened to the whole "each side gets one supply until the rest arrive" idea that was supposed to prevent this exact situation?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Vermilion Jarlis

Ms. Lain... If you are going to the Nobles' Guild Hall tomorrow, perhaps it would be best that you make the inquiry with Ms. Blum about the powers granted to the elected Guild Leader instead of this one, since he might be needed at the Senate to meet with a representative from the Traders' guild.

Traders! Who is close enough to a Linking Book to Channelwood to make this trade deal happen at the Senate tomorrow?

Please! This one would like to know as soon as possible, so that he may change his and Ms. Lain's plans as necessary.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

I did not become a D'ni loyalist to make friends, and by the way? I haven't
All traders: although you all work at your own discretion, ciel and I would prefer that no one go to channelwood until the deal is verified and violence is ceased.

I trust your judgment, Brodsky, but please consider our concerns.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

sniper4625 posted:

Hey I know I'm not the favorite of the Dwellers right now but what happened to the whole "each side gets one supply until the rest arrive" idea that was supposed to prevent this exact situation?

I am not really sure myself but apparently two supplies arrived at Oasis and someone decided to just start building.

Teland
Apr 6, 2018

Prince of Space posted:

Traders! Who is close enough to a Linking Book to Channelwood to make this trade deal happen at the Senate tomorrow?
Day after tomorrow. I want to confirm directly with my guild what terms I am authorized to agree to. I'm sure everyone is being honest, this is just such a contentious matter and miscommunication has messed this deal up once already.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

sniper4625 posted:

Aosa of Clan Anca

Given that the traders (and to be quite honest, everyone else, too - I am shocked at the lack of interest in saving something that everyone in. General wanted so badly to happen for days) refuse to send even one person to protect their own investment, see:

Teland posted:

We can't send help if we are working out the deal at the guildhall and Senate.

I am glad that we in the Inventor’s guild managed to uphold the end of our obligation. When the decision to press forward was made, while general was down, we were at least 3 days from the Traders getting their supplies in place. We are no closer than that now, 2 days later. We can’t just wait around forever.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Asiina posted:

Hmm...Tavish or Rabo must have then, although nobody has talked about it.

That is...concerning, considering their, well...my interactions with them.

Step one: Do a re-read
Step two: Do a re-count

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Teland posted:

Day after tomorrow. I want to confirm directly with my guild what terms I am authorized to agree to. I'm sure everyone is being honest, this is just such a contentious matter and miscommunication has messed this deal up once already.

So 4 days, actually.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

I did not become a D'ni loyalist to make friends, and by the way? I haven't

Prince of Space posted:

Vermilion Jarlis

Ms. Lain... If you are going to the Nobles' Guild Hall tomorrow, perhaps it would be best that you make the inquiry with Ms. Blum about the powers granted to the elected Guild Leader instead of this one, since he might be needed at the Senate to meet with a representative from the Traders' guild.

Please! This one would like to know as soon as possible, so that he may change his and Ms. Lain's plans as necessary.

Apologies, friend Vermillion. Rushing this process before led to the current instability in Channelwood. We appreciate your patience as we have precautions that must be taken.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

chaoslord posted:

Aosa of Clan Anca

If you want the Oasis safe, send help.

Vermilion Jarlis

Ms. Cerulean Haqqu is on her way to support you, along with some limited medical supplies this one has provided.

sniper4625 posted:

What happened is that we had two Dweller Inventors at the start of things, and then suddenly there was only one. Since we weren't sure that Ms. Cerulean Haqqu would be able to work safely at the Lookout, work started there.

Also, the Communicators were down while all this business with the "missing" Traders' Supplies was just being discovered.

At the time, this one (along with many others) thought that the Traders' Guild Supplies for the Lookout would be well in hand by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
To be frank Andra misled me about the terms of the deal in the first place, she made it sound like there was supplies at the Trader's Guild, but the truth of the matter is supplies won't be there until the deal is finalize and the demand comes in according to the steward when I spoke to him today. Andra also lied about him being a fan of my play!