Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

Despite liking the first one a lot and being excited to catch the second in theaters too I somehow never got around to seeing it, but I will be seeing it as part of the May challenge now.

Seeing BW2 now, knowing its reputation, will tend to make the viewer more charitable toward it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Who recommended Genocyber and wtf did I just watch?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gejimayu posted:

I believe either myself or LORD OF BOOTY are the thread's most ardent endorsers of Genocyber.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gejimayu posted:

Heh heh heh :unsmigghh:

e: to answer your question, I'm frankly not sure myself, I just know it loving wrecks rear end

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I somehow ended up renting The Burning Moon from my local, small town video rental place in the 90s. It was in their new release section and everything. The only things I really remember are someone's teeth being pulled in hell and 'That bastard threw a head on my hood!'

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never heard of it until now.

Sometimes this thread makes me feel my horror tastes are very white bread.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've honestly been sort of avoiding watching The Burning Moon because I cannot seem to get a feel for how rough of a watch it'll actually be. Like it seems like the kind of movie that could either make me laugh like Rich Evans about 20 times or be a huge, huge downer, and I've gotten opinions all over that spectrum from people.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

Everyone's going to have different tastes and those tastes will change over the years. I've never been fond of animal deaths, but I'm okay if the effects are the sort of 'it's clearly a stuffed animal with red karo on it'. I used to be okay with if something happens to kids but after having my own, I can't handle anything happening to babies/small children.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh yeah, I'm fine with it. The thread makes me challenge myself a bit to get out of my comfort zone or exposes me to stuff I wouldn't have known about but like, some stuff just isn't for me. I'm probably never going to watch the I Spit On Your Grave movies for example. The thread could say they're the greatest thing ever and I'd just pass. And I very nearly watched Fulci's Zombie/Zombi 2 in January but after a couple of other people did reviews of it I just decided I'd get nothing good out of it.

Just every once and awhile I feel like the nerd in class.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I've never heard of it until now.

I know how you feel, it's cool. I love found footage, hate Adam Wingard, don't care about F13 or Halloween, and I've never seen a giallo. Also, I loved the cinematography of The Conjuring. You'd be hard pressed to be worse than me. And yeah. I don't know if I like Fulci, since I only saw Zombi 2 and was dead bored apart from some rad gore.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would only call you the worst if your favorite film series was Saw and you also just watched weird torture poo poo like captivity.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I would only call you the worst if your favorite film series was Saw and you also just watched weird torture poo poo like captivity.

don't doxx me bro

EDIT: Also lmao at the poser itt who thinks captivity is "weird torture poo poo" and not a Hollywood snooze fest

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I never saw it lol. I just remember that trailer popping up when Saw was big and I was just so frustrated with torture poo poo.

I like quick, gory murders.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
There's nothing better than animal death when you can clearly see the animal is still alive and having a blast playing dead/just sleeping.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm probably the biggest proponent of gore/splatter/torture movies itt and I cannot stomach any animal death at all. Even fake ones. I won't watch any movies with real animal torture/death in it and avoid ones with fake deaths.

Real animal killing for film isn't even limited to horror movies. Back in the day they would just straight up murk horses left and right for movies. "Napoleon" is a great example of that. That movie loving sucks.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Man The Burning Moon takes me back. I remember first seeing the trailer for it in front of one of those Faces/Traces of Death tapes a million years ago and thinking drat it's gotta be hosed up if even these degenerates are advertising for it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t stand when they kill dogs in anything because it’s so cheap.

I want to do a movie where a character does throw a dog to the monster and it gets killed, and that character is then beaten to death by the dog owner.

That scene in snakes on a plane infuriated me.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Kvlt! posted:

I'm probably the biggest proponent of gore/splatter/torture movies itt and I cannot stomach any animal death at all. Even fake ones. I won't watch any movies with real animal torture/death in it and avoid ones with fake deaths.

Real animal killing for film isn't even limited to horror movies. Back in the day they would just straight up murk horses left and right for movies. "Napoleon" is a great example of that. That movie loving sucks.

Put in a link for you, it's clearly a sleeping, comfortable kitty with red tape put on it (from Black Cats Revenge). That ok?
https://imgur.com/CQ1jpxf

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

married but discreet posted:

There's nothing better than animal death when you can clearly see the animal is still alive and having a blast playing dead/just sleeping.

I love when TV shows and particularly cheap movies have a very happy dog just jumping around having a good time and they add scary growling in post to make sure you know it's a KILLER DOG.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Kvlt! posted:

Aww man I love Blair Witch 2 its a lot of lovely fun. People would like it more if it didn't have the Blair Witch named attached.

It has the one of the most "that era" soundtracks of all time (curated by Marilyn Manson!) next to the Scream 3 soundtrack.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

married but discreet posted:

I prefer clearly happy dogs playing viscous attack dogs.

edit: beaten

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 28, 2019

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I actually really liked the first one. Ive only seen the first three, though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I have a poster of Captivity, but I got it for free from work, plus it's written by Larry Cohen and stars Elisha Cuthbert, and I'm a huge Cohen stan. I don't have it hanging up tho, it's sitting in a giant roll of posters I have stored in a closet (along with poo poo like Surf Ninjas, Critters 3, and a 30th anniversary poster for Terminator (I have no idea where they hell I got this, I completely forgot I had it til checking just now).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've honestly been sort of avoiding watching The Burning Moon because I cannot seem to get a feel for how rough of a watch it'll actually be. Like it seems like the kind of movie that could either make me laugh like Rich Evans about 20 times or be a huge, huge downer, and I've gotten opinions all over that spectrum from people.

I guess it's technically pretty bleak, but it's so incompetently made that I can't imagine anyone getting too horrified by it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ruddiger posted:

I have a poster of Captivity, but I got it for free from work, plus it's written by Larry Cohen and stars Elisha Cuthbert, and I'm a huge Cohen stan. I don't have it hanging up tho, it's sitting in a giant roll of posters I have stored in a closet (along with poo poo like Surf Ninjas, Critters 3, and a 30th anniversary poster for Terminator (I have no idea where they hell I got this, I completely forgot I had it til checking just now).

I got a Gothika press package from chud.com because I answered some contest they had back in the day but I can remember sweet gently caress all about it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Narzack posted:

I actually really liked the first one. Ive only seen the first three, though.

The fourth and fifth one are pretty decent. I wouldn't call them my favorite by a long shot, but they're fun to see with a group, I'd put them on the same level as the Final Destination series. You know exactly what you're getting into with those two franchises, and neither of them ever get to Hellraiser 9 levels of unwatchable.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

ruddiger posted:

The fourth and fifth one are pretty decent. I wouldn't call them my favorite by a long shot, but they're fun to see with a group, I'd put them on the same level as the Final Destination series. You know exactly what you're getting into with those two franchises, and neither of them ever get to Hellraiser 9 levels of unwatchable.

One of my fondest dating memories is watching the Final Destination 2 TV edit with my wife, who can't handle a lot for brutal violence. We had a great time and had a lot of fun with Kratos being in it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Twin Cinema posted:

Maybe Detention gets more love than normal in this thread.

Not from me I loving hate it :colbert:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Mostly column B. If you're just thinking about the gore effects and how they stack up, they're surprisingly good considering how low-budget the movie is, but everything else around the effects is like a po-faced, depressing Don Dohler movie. There's some really dark gallows humor, but it's hard to laugh at a lot of the stuff in it. It was a lot easier to watch than I thought though, and I think it's worth watching just for the finale of that second story. Hooo boy, was I not ready for that. The ending of the wraparound is really dark too, even if it was entirely predictable.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 29, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm about to watch Society for the first time. Pray for me :ohdear:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tart Kitty posted:

I got a Gothika press package from chud.com because I answered some contest they had back in the day but I can remember sweet gently caress all about it.

Gothika is a movie I liked quite a bit but it definitely kinda sorta has basically the dumbest script ever written at some moments, but I like it.

Speaking of press packages, I think probably the single coolest thing we own is a press kit for They Live. The folder is done up like something you'd see in the movie, 8x10 photos of Roddy Piper/etc., and a lot of big talk about what a huge hit the movie will be and how Roddy Piper will become a mega superstar and such.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm about to watch Society for the first time. Pray for me :ohdear:

Don't forget to stretch first

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pomp posted:

Don't forget to stretch first
It was really gross but also great and the practical effects were amazing :barf::allears:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The smell of the hunt, and the taste of the Shunt.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For KvIt!:

Basebf555 posted:

Evil Bong

Well, as a disclaimer let me say that I'm sure this will include a mix of both poser and non-poser opinions. Apologies in advance. I'm setting my goal at 25 movies, with only new-to-me movies counting for the final tally, although I'll probably mix in a few rewatches as well.

While I will always respect Charles Band as a creative mind, I still like to watch his stuff when I'm in a certain mood. I knew the budget was going to be low, and that I'd be lucky to get one or two decent actors in the cast. Well, that turned out to be very true of Evil Bong, but what I was looking for was 90 minutes of dumb fun and that's what I got. My main regret is that I'm not really a Full Moon expert, and so I could tell that some references were flying by that I just wasn't catching, and I imagine that probably adds another fun element to the movie.

The true horror presented in this movie is the life of three assholes cooped up in a small dingy apartment. I've been forced to live in circumstances like that before with very little privacy and space of my own and for anyone who isn't stuck in early 20s college dorm mindset it's absolute hell. If I were sucked into the Lament Configuration by Cenobites my personal hell would be to have to rent a room in the apartment from Evil Bong. Otherwise though, this is a pretty straight comedy where the "kills" are pretty tame and you're never really asked to care much about any of the characters aside from the protagonist.

I have to say, the wiki article for Evil Bong is very accurate when it describes Chong's entrance as "....randomly enters the room" , because that's exactly what happens. One minute I was wondering when Chong was going to show up, then all of the sudden he's just there in the apartment providing exposition. Wow, this script is lean and mean!

Complaints(i.e. the poser section of the write-up):

- I did not really like the voice of the Evil Bong, I think something more classically horror would've worked better. A Vincent Price impersonator or something, I dunno.

- I know I mentioned expecting a low budget, but this one is really cheap even for Charles Band. Probably the cheapest that I've seen from Full Moon, but again, I haven't seen a ton

- Not enough Chong. He needed to be introduced about halfway through instead of three-quarters

All in all though, I had fun watching Evil Bong. Like I said, the mood was right, I'd just come back from watching 3 hours of BIG EPIC SUPERHERO EPIC SPECTACLE EPIC ULTIMATE BATTLE and really was looking for something simple, stupid, but fun. Band delivers again.

Watched: 1. Evil Bong

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It was really gross but also great and the practical effects were amazing :barf::allears:

Bride of Re-Animator makes for a great double feature with Society since both movies have Screaming Mad George going ape poo poo with the practical effects.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Nm

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
After two weeks of struggling with my own 2 year old and my 2 year old neice staying with us, I finally got them both to nap at the same time today. I said, "dope! Im gonna watch Stalker." Made some tea, sat down on the couch, about ten minutes in I promptly fell asleep. Black and white subtitled movie from the 70s? I didnt have a chance. I cant speak for the movie, yet, but that nap was a damned 10/10. Oh and when my daughter woke me up the movie was in color. So thats cool.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Loved this bit from In the Mouth of Madness - I'm a sucker for post-credits jokes :allears:

What's some more cosmic horror I can watch? I've already seen:

The Thing
Mandy/BtBR
Pontypool
The Endless/Resolution
Annihilation
The Void
Sunshine
Event Horizon

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Esme posted:

What's some more cosmic horror I can watch?

Evil Bong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I watched Boots On the Ground and hoo boy that movie fuckin sucks. Just started The Autopsy of Jane Doe. It was on my Netflix list and I don't know why. I know very little of it.