Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
PSO2: New Genesis Launches in June of 2021!

kirbysuperstar posted:

https://pso2.com/news/announcements/steamlinkaccounts

Don't gently caress this up and create a new account when you launch the Steam version, it's irreversible.

quote:

ATTENTION: Do not start Phantasy Star Online 2 on a new platform until you fully understand this account-linking process. Creating a character/setting up a Player ID on a new platform is irreversible and you will not be able to link your account after the fact.
[...]
:frogsiren:*Entering the account-linking code is only possible during the first-time log-in when using the new platform.:frogsiren:

**The same account-linking code cannot be used more than twice.

***If the first account-linking code is not used, and a new one is issued, only the newest account-linking code will be active.

****If a user inputs the account-linking code incorrectly, 10 times in a row, after the 10th time the user will not be able to link accounts until 24 hours have passed. This measure is for the safety of your account.

Previous Thread

JP server: Ship 2
NA Server: also Ship 2
Discord Server (both/all regions): NolVac

System Requirements:
code:
Item    	Operating environment
OS      	Windows 8.1/10 32bit / 64bit
CPU 	    	Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 or better
Memory  	2GB or more
HDD free space  40GB or more (NTFS format)
Monitor       	1280x720 or higher recommended
Graphics card   NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT / AMD RADEON HD2900XT or better
Sound card      DirectX compatible sound card (DirectX 9.0c or higher)
DirectX®        DirectX 9.0c or higher
Windows 7 support is ending on January 14 2020
http://pso2.jp/players/news/24940/

Getting Started [Global Server]:
Steam Store Page
Official NA/Global server website
Quick links [Global Server]:
Global Server Official Forums
List of Error Codes, what they mean, and what you can do about them.
Global Server Augment Affixing Simulator
Global Server Augment Affixing Reverse-engineering Simulator
Augment ability recipe spreadsheet I made
Symbol Art editor/creator

Getting Started [JP Server]:
Official JP Client Download
While the jp client is installing/updating, which takes an unreasonably long time, work on these other things!
SEGAID website: Go here to register for a SEGAID account. (Google Translate will help you here, and use this to solve the captcha)
Go here to accept the Terms of Service so your account can login to PSO2
PSO2 Tweaker: A 3rd party launcher program that can keep the game updated and install the English patches for you
Quick links [JP Server]:
Bumped.org delivers the latest PSO2 news!
Guide and Download for PSO2es, the mobile game! PSO2es works perfectly fine on any ISP, and is the easiest/cheapest way to buy ARKS Cash for the JP Server.
Augment Affixing Simulator
Augment Affixing Reverse-engineering Simulator
Augment ability recipe spreadsheet I made
Symbol Art editor/creator

English Databases and Japanese wikis: (If you click an item (or select it with the arrow keys), you can hit CTRL+C to copy it to the clipboard, then search one of these places for it.)
Visiphone [Global Server]
http://pso2.swiki.jp/ The Japanese PSO2 wiki that Visiphone bases most of it's data off of
http://pso2es.swiki.jp/ Japanese database for PSO2es, for those daring

Phantasy Star Online 2 is a free to play online action RPG, encouraging you to time your attacks, manually dodge enemy attacks, and feel cool while doing so.

Races:
Human :bahgawd:
The generic race with nothing special about them

Newman :anime:
Basically space-elves

CASTs :awesomelon:
Robots and/or Cyborgs

Dewman :devil:
Space edgelords with horns and different colored eyes

There's some small modifiers on your base stats depending on race and gender, but nothing that will hold you back in the long run. Follow your dreams.

Classes:
After you create your character, you can change your class anytime you are in the lobby at the class counter for no charge.

Hunter :hist101:
Weapons: Swords, Partisans, and Wired Lances
Playstyle: lots of blocking, and making stuff attack you. Great if you like large and slow weapons, long pointy sticks, or grapple moves
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mags: S-atk/MEL (Fighter or Etoile sub), DEX (alternative option for Phantom sub only)

Ranger :hellyeah:
Weapons: Assault Rifles and Launchers
Playstyle: Mid to long range combat, as well as applying debuffs to make things easier to beat up. Rangers try not to reposition unless they have to.
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: R-atk/RNG (Hunter or Etoile sub), DEX (alternative option for Phantom sub only)

Force :science:
Weapons: Rods and Talis
Playstyle: Action Wizard
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: T-atk/TEC

Braver :japan:
Weapons: Katanas and Bows
Playstyle: Katanas allow you to parry like a Hunter, while Bows give you lots of range and utility like a Ranger weapon. You can even take up one weapon and ignore the other if you want!
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: DEX

Bouncer :c00l:
Weapons: Dual Blades and Jet Boots
Playstyle: Dual blades are death by ten thousand cuts, while Jet boots can Rider Kick while laying down some support techs. Bouncer has some second-string buff-based support qualities; they're nice to have, but nobody's really going to miss them if you slack off on them.
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: DEX or S-atk/MEL

Summoner :shittydog:
Weapons: Tacts, but more importantly the Pets they command
Playstyle: Make a little critter do the dirty work for you, but you still gotta tell it what to do.
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mags: All mags are welcome here

These classes are not available from character creation, but you can change to them as soon as you reach the lobby:

Fighter :black101:
Weapons: Twin Daggers, Doublesabers, & Knuckles
Playstyle: Danger Zone melee assassin
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: S-atk/MEL

Gunner :blastu:
Weapons: Twin Mechineguns and Rifles
Playstyle: Close range guns, also building combos to deal massive damage
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: R-atk/RNG

Techter :flame:
Weapons: Wands and Talis
Playstyle: Buffs, Bonks, and Techs
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: T-atk/TEC, S-atk/MEL, or DEX when using Phantom as a subclass

Scion Classes are new classes they've been adding since Episode 5, they cannot use a subclass, but they do get to use completely different movesets for their weapons!

To unlock Scion classes, you have to reach level 75 in any 2 classes.

Hero :madmax:
Weapons: Swords, Twin Machineguns, and Talis
Playstyle: Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series
Preferred Mag: One of S-atk/MEL, R-atk/RNG, or T-atk/TEC

Phantom :spooky:
Weapons: Rods, Rifles, and Katanas
Playstyle: Attacking enemies applies markers to them, once you've built enough markers, you can detonate them for extra damage
Preferred Mag: DEX
When used as a subclass, makes every class Dex Mag compatible!

Étoile :france:
Weapons: Doublesabers, Wands, and Dual Blades
Playstyle: Space Paladin / Royal Guard
Using Étoile as a subclass allows you to use a 200 single-atk mag for any class!

Luster :krad:
Weapon: Gunblade.
Playstyle: All of the Above, and has a combo counter that gives you bonuses as it goes up!
When used as a subclass, gives you the "Voltage" combo counter and buffs Gunblades to be on-par with the rest of the main class's arsenal!

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
2nd Post:

I swear to god im going to make a beginners guide here someday

Quick beginners guide:

Make your character
Do the tutorial
Run all of the Training quests to get a brief overview of the other classes, you might like something other than your first choice!
Play Arks Quests and Free Field explorations to unlock more areas
Do Koffie's client orders
The new Arks Mission system should help guide you too
Take a Special Collection File from Pudding
Run Emergency Quests when they happen, they let you run them on lower difficulties too!

Reach level 75 on your first class
Grind and Equip the 12★ units the Title girl gives you for reaching level 75
Get your subclass to level 75
Try out Hero, Phantom, Etoile and Luster; then probably play those instead because they don't use subclasses
Talk to us in the Discord server! We love helping!

Media
remember this stuff when you go casing down a specific drop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlR-jQXgVuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLyC-B3Wpi4

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 24, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Can't believe I made that video like four space years ago now

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Seconding that most of the activity in the goon guild happens on the discord, which you should probably join if you are thinking about playing this game.
Don't hesitate to ask for help or general tips!

This thread has too few screenshots, let's fix that:

What playing with the guild is like:

What playing with pubs is like:

What playing the game overall feels like:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Soulfucker's post is pretty on-point. Join us!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I got my hopes up for a second that they finally patched Blue Burst

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress I can't stop laughing at "go bed"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I got my hopes up for a second that they finally patched Blue Burst

?

People have been adding things to BB servers for years

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
If you want to play Blue Burst, I recommend the private server Ephinea. It's good!

As far as PSO2 goes, Episode 6 drops in two hours from now and is set to bring a brand new class to the game, some balance changes and eventually a new difficulty level.
I think the OP could use some more detailed descriptions of what the game plays like ("action RPG' is fairly loose) for anyone new and curious but I'm not very good at summarizing stuff, so instead have some more pictures:

Nolvac preparing for Emergency quest raids:

What playing with pubs is like, part 2:

(pubs are terrible)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ship 2 is freaking epic

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
So, how has the English patch been lately?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

ship 2 is freaking epic

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Ardeem posted:

So, how has the English patch been lately?
They decided to call the new enemies "Luminmechs".

I am very unhappy about this.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Surprise Noodle posted:

If they don't have LED strips like an early 2000's Japanese street race car, I'm going to be very disapointed.

FetchingToaster
Jan 2, 2015

I have only a humble offering of pub autowords, please accept them:

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Ardeem posted:

If they don't have LED strips like an early 2000's Japanese street race car, I'm going to be very disapointed.
I mean, the enemies do look pretty cool, but it's impossible to pronounce a "nm" phoneme in English. It makes you sound like you are vomiting if you try to say it out loud.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PSO2 is a wonderful game and I hope some day to be able to play it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm thankful we've come a long way from "story patch replaced a bunch of stuff with MLP references for six months as a 'joke'".

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
A reminder that wearing a silly outfit while playing through story content can always be a good time.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Do you still need to jump VPN hoops to play if you're in the SEA region?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

How is the F2P in this game? Since it's not actually sold where I am (and thus I can't buy anything reasonably), I'm going to have to enjoy it without having to grind for a billion years.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Reallycoolname posted:

Do you still need to jump VPN hoops to play if you're in the SEA region?
yes

nobody knows why

Roluth posted:

How is the F2P in this game? Since it's not actually sold where I am (and thus I can't buy anything reasonably), I'm going to have to enjoy it without having to grind for a billion years.

It's pretty fine. You can't sell items to other players without buying premium, there's a few other benefits you can get from it too, but it's relatively unintrusive. You can totally buy the paid elements through the companion app / mobage thing with google play, though. Basically the big gently caress You Pay Us thing is the lottery draw for cosmetic items, which you can just buy on the player shop (don't need to be prem to buy, just to sell) if you save up enough meseta.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dabir posted:

You can't sell items to other players without buying premium

Well, depends on your FUN scratch luck wrt Shop Passes, but it can be a mega PITA and it's stupid

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Hey, at least it isn't the bad old days when you couldn't buy weapons from other players.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Weapon/unit passes were extremely dumb poo poo holy hell

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Good god yeah. These days you can freely buy up to 12-star weapons and even some 13-star, and up to 11-star units (armor) with a freebie 12-star set that's not bad at all handed out for reaching a certain level.
Hell even just recently they added a system where if you progress through the story all the way through Episode 5 you'll be given a full set of 12-star units that can be considered late to end game. (Among a ton of other goodies along the way)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Surprise Noodle posted:

So loving dumb. Do they still have Forever Runner as Forever Loner? And Pattientia as Patty and Tea? And Code Abyss as Code Avis?
(You don't have to answer that I haven't even used the patch since 2014 and I know the answer is yes)

I really need to start playing again. I stopped playing with non-IRL people since I use my PS4 and can't read the chat text very well/can't type for poo poo with a controller but drat it, I'm gonna try! Soon! Probably!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

And Pattientia as Patty and Tea?

How would you split up their names?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Patty and Tia, probably.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I haven't used the patch for half a decade, but god drat will I still be mad about it!

(Abyss was fixed)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

croto

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Also forgot to mention the permo filters like the 8-bit one that only has one use at best:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So I'm a big dummy and spent some extra cash I had for a handful of scratch off tickets and didn't get what I wanted but I did get the Nightmare set, however I am not a cast so I cannot use it (which sucks cuz I think it's super cute). And since there's no way to change your race for some reason I'm kind of at an impasse. To my understanding Phantom and Hero unlocks are character specific instead of account wide? I was planning on playing Phantom once I had it unlocked (currently 72 bouncer with a 52 hunter subclass) but the thought of having to do all that leveling again without the aid of the free xp and bonus quest tickets I got on account creation stings. Is there any real use for alts in this game? Or a way to get around to the same level as my initial character painlessly? Or am I better suited to just use my shop ticket and offload it since it seems to sell for alot?

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 30, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pretty sure they're account-wide because it's based on a title, and that carries with you even across ships.

e: Must be because I don't have a 75 Tech class on one character but got Hero on them back when that was part of the requirement (other character had Summoner at 75)

Alts can be nice just for having different fashion options, but also the weekly money from the new ARKS Missions is per character which is uh..2m each?

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 30, 2019

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh I was misinformed then. Well this definitely is a load off my back since I can just finish the leveling here and then make a cast and play the class I actually wanted with my shiny cosmetics. Thanks.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Yeah once you earn the requisite title (remember to redeem the prize item from it or it won't count), you can immediately turn in hero/phantom unlock client orders right away on alts.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37oCCOPj58U

Ultra Hard coming up on the 15th, both as the main Ultra quests and UH being added to the Easter EQ
also KonoSuba collab outfits and stuff

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I've been giving this a shot again for the first time in a while (most of my play time was in 2013 and 2014) and have a few questions if anyone has some free time to answer. Thanks to a few 1 mil EXP tickets as I think title rewards, I'm 62 Gunner with a ~50 ranger subclass. Been using the second post as a general guideline.

I exchanged 15 stones of some sort to Zieg to get a 13* TMG, but shortly afterwards, I finished the front of the current bingo card and got a certificate to give Leontina for a 13* as well. The one from Leontina has slightly higher stats but I don't see any way to trade one in for a higher level weapon, so does that mean I should grind the one Zieg gave me and then exchange it for a 14* instead? Should I not worry about either of them and wait to grind a collection file weapon? Zieg also has other weapons that require other currencies and I don't really know what I'm supposed to be going for.

Is item identification useless at higher levels? I don't think I've seen anything higher than 9* but I keep getting all these unidentified weapon/egg drops and it's making inventory management a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Regarding inventory management, is there a shortcut to send items to basic or character storage? I've been clicking once and moving right to then click which storage to send to, but given the inventory cap of 50 and my gear takes up just over 40% of that, a good portion of my playing lately has been sending items to storage one-by-one.

I had tons of FUN and SG accumulated (given as mission or title rewards, usually) so I went ham on the scratch offs. Once I've redeemed a cosmetic twice and used it to apply to character and then account, what do I do with duplicates? Is there any way to send gender specific cosmetics to another character to be redeemed? My gunner is male and I have a handful of female only cosmetics, but I didn't want to redeem them to use on my support character if there's some way for another character on my account to use them. I believe I read somewhere that storage is shared among characters but don't have another one created to check.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Bloodplay it again posted:

Is item identification useless at higher levels? I don't think I've seen anything higher than 9* but I keep getting all these unidentified weapon/egg drops and it's making inventory management a bit of a pain in the rear end.

I can answer this one, untekked items seem to have a rarity value that goes up just like everything else - when you take them to the item identification shop, they can have a rainbow-coloured question mark, which means they're at least 13*.
I usually end up identifying all my weapons and recycling the 10-11* weapons into excubes, but I trash the eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

I've been giving this a shot again for the first time in a while (most of my play time was in 2013 and 2014) and have a few questions if anyone has some free time to answer. Thanks to a few 1 mil EXP tickets as I think title rewards, I'm 62 Gunner with a ~50 ranger subclass. Been using the second post as a general guideline.

I exchanged 15 stones of some sort to Zieg to get a 13* TMG, but shortly afterwards, I finished the front of the current bingo card and got a certificate to give Leontina for a 13* as well. The one from Leontina has slightly higher stats but I don't see any way to trade one in for a higher level weapon, so does that mean I should grind the one Zieg gave me and then exchange it for a 14* instead? Should I not worry about either of them and wait to grind a collection file weapon? Zieg also has other weapons that require other currencies and I don't really know what I'm supposed to be going for.

Regarding inventory management, is there a shortcut to send items to basic or character storage? I've been clicking once and moving right to then click which storage to send to, but given the inventory cap of 50 and my gear takes up just over 40% of that, a good portion of my playing lately has been sending items to storage one-by-one.

I had tons of FUN and SG accumulated (given as mission or title rewards, usually) so I went ham on the scratch offs. Once I've redeemed a cosmetic twice and used it to apply to character and then account, what do I do with duplicates? Is there any way to send gender specific cosmetics to another character to be redeemed? My gunner is male and I have a handful of female only cosmetics, but I didn't want to redeem them to use on my support character if there's some way for another character on my account to use them. I believe I read somewhere that storage is shared among characters but don't have another one created to check.

The ray weapons from Leontina tickets are good baseline weapons until you can get yourself closer to the late game. If you do enough story you'll get a free Leotina B ticket that'll allow you to pick up a 14* that can last you until you're ready to gear up with endgame stuff.

If you hold shift while scrolling through your items it will select every time you scroll over, and allow you to send them to storage in batches.

All of your storage except for your character specific storage (labeled with a C icon when you're selecting what storage an item goes to) is shared between all characters on the same ship. There is no shared storage between different ships though.