Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I'm Battlefield 5, not an electronic sport but an electronic world War 2 game, there was a significant portion of people loudly complaining why they couldn't dress like real Nazis did, why there were non-white player characters, and why there were women in the game.

I imagine voice coms with those people is just gross nonstop nazi "role-playing".

Frankly I just assume the player base of any vidja game has hordes of people like this.

online culture has always had a vested interest in using that anonymity and impersonal feel to violate taboos, as you can see if you pay for archives access

the gaming community has a decidedly technolibertarian bent where any censorship and any rules not related to competitveness are automatically Bad; the majority of them are not bigots or actively malicious people but fall into the common category of “racist in an oblivious/insensitive way”

i think anyone who chooses to identify a hobby as a personality trait is ultimately a fuckin antisocial weirdo though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

gamers are scum who deserve death, imho

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AggressivelyStupid posted:

gamers are scum who deserve death, imho

Maybe we should sew patches into their clothing to more easily identify them

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
i'm surprised it hasn't improved at all. i mean i guess there are always 4chan type idiots and no company has shown any ability to moderate any online community. but id think the general trend would be towards less of that following society in general.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A lot of people actively resist becoming better people because MY FREEDOM OF SPEECH

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chunkles posted:

i'm surprised it hasn't improved at all. i mean i guess there are always 4chan type idiots and no company has shown any ability to moderate any online community. but id think the general trend would be towards less of that following society in general.

I honestly think it probably is in terms of the whole and this thread is just using anecdote as fact.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chunkles posted:

Someone posted this elsewhere:

Discendo Vox posted:

Video games, like a lot of tech-mediated cultural spaces, were areas principally available on a large scale to those benefiting of privilege. The people who succeeded in those spaces, and who were born of those demographics, reflected that cultural space and the identities and bigotries (race and gender, and all other axes) of the people who created it. They became the next generation of leading creators and tastemakers, an ouroboros of wealthy white sheltered boys growing up on and creating new power fantasies for themselves and their successors. This was basically an engine for perpetuating peter pan cultural norms into game development, which produced more masculine white power fantasy for its core userbase, which then voted with their dollars for more of the same. Until the market broadened enough for the less lovely to benefit and for capital to see an alternative target audience.

On top of it the timing coincided with the rise of especially powerful/wealthy horrible bigot techlords, and included media control, and included mediated intentional racist outreach.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

chunkles posted:

Rainbow Six started banning people automatically with a word filter. It led to players baiting opponents/teammates to use slurs in order to get them banned. https://kotaku.com/every-game-should-copy-rainbow-sixs-new-chat-moderation-1827671630

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
HE MADE ME SLUR

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kibner posted:

Rainbow Six started banning people automatically with a word filter. It led to players baiting opponents/teammates to use slurs in order to get them banned. https://kotaku.com/every-game-should-copy-rainbow-sixs-new-chat-moderation-1827671630

I had forgotten about this and it's basically the greatest thing ever.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Metapod posted:

HE MADE ME SLUR

Pretty much. The only exception is when someone would do something like ask "What's the short word for raccoon?".

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/Tetradugenica/status/1120522206679830528

Only lazily reposting the tweet for image hosting reasons

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I honestly think it probably is in terms of the whole and this thread is just using anecdote as fact.

i mean ask a woman or a person of color how their online gaming experiences are going and get back to me

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Declan MacManus posted:

i mean ask a woman or a person of color how their online gaming experiences are going and get back to me

Fair enough.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I had forgotten about this and it's basically the greatest thing ever.

I think you're going to be surprised how many streamers and professional gamers have gotten banned for slurring

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Metapod posted:

I think you're going to be surprised how many streamers and professional gamers have gotten banned for slurring

I used to naively think the internet would grow up and stop being racist assholes. Instead it leaked into the real world and became president.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Welcome to the Clippers fans. The underdog story was interesting but the talent top to bottom this is somewhere on the top ten list of 8 seeds, no shame in losing to a Warriors team that tried a lot harder to win than the memes are saying.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Welcome spurs you didn't foul

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spite posted:

I used to naively think the internet would grow up and stop being racist assholes. Instead it leaked into the real world and became president.

I dunno man it's weird. There are definitely pockets that have grown up. I'd go so far as to maybe even say a majority if a small one. Problem is those who didn't not only didn't grow up, they're REALLY vocal and mad that others did.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Welcome Spurs. I think this team will be interesting next year adding Murray back to the team and maybe Lonnie Walker being okay.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Welcome to the Clippers fans. The underdog story was interesting but the talent top to bottom this is somewhere on the top ten list of 8 seeds, no shame in losing to a Warriors team that tried a lot harder to win than the memes are saying.

The funny thing about this clippers team is that it almost had the same spirit as those underdog neil ohshley vinny del negro teams that won before cp3 and blake got there, but even more so. It reminds me of some of my favorite teams of all time, just a bunch of pretty good to good players playing as hard as they can and sacrificing everything for each other. Really fun.

I don't think Pop's going to retire on a first round loss

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

The funny thing about this clippers team is that it almost had the same spirit as those underdog neil ohshley vinny del negro teams that won before cp3 and blake got there, but even more so. It reminds me of some of my favorite teams of all time, just a bunch of pretty good to good players playing as hard as they can and sacrificing everything for each other. Really fun.

the best basketball team of all time is the bulls team when nate robinson defeated the brooklyn nets

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

R.D. Mangles posted:

the best basketball team of all time is the bulls team when nate robinson defeated the brooklyn nets

I believe I lived in Tulsa at the time and my tv at the time was a hand me down Thick thick thick small lcd on a 30 year old wood and wicker wheeled cart and I watched every single second. I hope n. cornelius robinson is still making magic with the homenetmen beirut ball club. Their nickname is "orange juice"

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

I believe I lived in Tulsa at the time and my tv at the time was a hand me down Thick thick thick small lcd on a 30 year old wood and wicker wheeled cart and I watched every single second. I hope n. cornelius robinson is still making magic with the [homenetmen beirut ball club. Their nickname is "orange juice"

He was waived in September iirc for failing his medical test

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

those ultra scrappy bulls teams with joakim, taj gibson, and a rotation of random plug and play undersized gunners at pg were way more fun to watch than they had any right to be

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

R.D. Mangles posted:

i will always remember The Puke Game

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Boredumb posted:

He was waived in September iirc for failing his medical test

I'm burning wikipedia servers down for making me look foolish online

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

An amendment:

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1122373052677931008

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

cougar cub posted:

Yeah there is no online gaming community that doesn’t have a toxic element. I was touchy because the quake community is dead and couldn’t be a problem today. The more proactive studios actual build in reporting features in order to identify and ban / probate toxic players.

To try and tie it all off Echo fox was known in the fighting game community for picking up a furry player (literally shows up to events dressed up). Given how macho and aggressive the fighting game scene is it was a pretty progressive move. lovely that Fox is moving on.

The FGC definitely has a macho element to it, but it's always been diverse and welcoming compared to most other game scenes

chunkles posted:

It has improved quite a bit, and many communities have much better moderation and reporting tools. If you say racist or homophobic poo poo in Rainbow 6 Siege, you get banned, for instance. There are still lovely people, but that stuff is no longer accepted as the norm. There is a lot more pressure on devs to put tools in place to prevent that stuff.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 28, 2019

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

il serpente cosmico posted:

The FGC definitely has a macho element to it, but it's always been diverse and welcoming compared to most other game scenes

It has improved quite a bit, and many communities have much better moderation and reporting tools. If you say racist or homophobic poo poo in Rainbow 6 Siege, you get banned, for instance. There are still lovely people, but that stuff is no longer accepted as the norm. There is a lot more pressure on devs to put tools in place to prevent that stuff.

It's kind of like good old fashioned 2007 fyad game griefing, figuring out some really fun way to gently caress with people in the spirit of causing trouble (stop hitting yourself stop hitting yourself) vs the 4chan style where you make your guy a sambo figure and just write racial slurs and draw swastikas with bullet holes and so on.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I enjoy the fact they include Miss San Antonio as couterprograming to Chuck's take on the place . . . . although I have no idea which version is true.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1123026402171736064

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I wonder which fitness influencer from Instagram will replace Nelson?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm going to apply when the job shows up on Indeed and just offer to crowdsource medical advice from this forum and webmd.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1123286981167988736?s=19

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

get a tb12 guy to feed devin booker avocado ice cream

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
~Rumors~ are the Mavs top free agent targets will be Kemba and Middleton which I am much more on board with than previous rumored interests Vucevic and Dragic

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's pretty hard to see Middleton leaving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MourningView posted:

It's pretty hard to see Middleton leaving

Yeah, I think it's probably Kemba or bust, but I'm just encouraged that the Mavs seem to recognize their problems are shooting and lack of ball-handlers outside of Luka, as opposed to not enough Europeans

And really it's the Mavs so we're not getting Kemba either, though Kemba-Luka-Porzingis who i hope is not a rapist sounds extremely fun