Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

jisforjosh posted:

I went from no side windows on a Fractal Design R5 to tempered glass/RGB everything on a Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic

:coal:

Nice, I dig it. My only lights are from my aorus gpu so it’s fairly subdued.

Being able to change the colours based on temperature is a neat feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

priznat posted:

Nice, I dig it. My only lights are from my aorus gpu so it’s fairly subdued.

Being able to change the colours based on temperature is a neat feature.

Having 2 wires for each fan was a nightmare at first to manage but I think I went a little too anal about it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

jisforjosh posted:

I went from no side windows on a Fractal Design R5 to tempered glass/RGB everything on a Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic

:coal:

What's up PC-011 Dynamic buddies!

:hfive:

I don't have any current pics of mine to throw up though.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

repiv posted:

i had to dig up this old post because lmao

it's a miracle that anything got shipped on the ps3

lmao I hadn’t seen the ms excel anecdote

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Turns out the Anniversary Edition stuff was real and as leaked. You get a 2700X with standard clocks, Su's signature, and some codes for various goodies. Shoulda at least gone with a black substrate or somethin cmon.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14282/amd-50th-anniversary-ryzen-7-2700x-and-radeon-vii-gold-edition-products

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

While conceptually disappointing, it's not like the r/AMD crowd won't eat them up.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Who is buying a 2700 anything at this time?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
People who don't follow this stuff closely enough to know what's coming out when, probably. New posts in the PC Parts Picking thread with build ideas that are based around last-generation parts aren't entirely uncommon.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Places were firesale-ing 1600/x and stuff. I made a build around one myself, especially knowing that the socket would be useful into the coming generation of processors

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Icept posted:

Who is buying a 2700 anything at this time?

People still buy the FX-8350 in significant numbers :lol:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That reminds me, I need to pick up a 1200/1300 for bootstrap and testing reasons somewhere before they're all gone.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

I am underwhelmed by the U14S (and outright disappointed by every other cooler I saw before) but my understanding is that's the best cooler currently available. I hadn't seen results on the Silver Arrow; the money question is of course how it performs with the Noctua fans. Noctua's NF-A12x25 is so good that it completely distorts all results for coolers that aren't using it. Even their older fans beat the poo poo out of most of the stuff on the market.

Right now the air coolers for TR4 are not that great; they are sufficient for maybe OC'ing a x950X or running a 2990WX at stock but they aren't excessive to the task at hand. If you really want to go hot you either get the AIO and deal with the gunk, or you get a waterblock and do a custom loop. If you're doing 2990WX I would prefer the custom loop for sure, you've got the money in the system and you should make the most of it.

Like I said I don't get why they didn't do a D15S for the TR4 platform, if there's a platform that needs it that's the one. A D15S would probably have done better than a U14S as far as sales.

Thanks for these! It looks like the U14s is decently competitive despite lacking the double stack. The English reviews were all sadly spartan - there were only a few that even bothered to compare to a single other cooler, let alone a variety of competition.

I love that chart and I'm amazed that temperature v. noise plots aren't standard for cooler reviews - it's such a natural way to visualize the trade-off. Tom's Hardware comes closest with their weird "acoustic efficiency" measure, but it's unnecessarily difficult to interpret.

MaxxBot posted:

People still buy the FX-8350 in significant numbers :lol:

There has to be some sort of strange and/or sad story here. Are FX-8350s the new money laundering currency?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 30, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I got my FX-8350 for free and I still overpaid (in electrical efficiency). If I lived near a Microcenter I could probably buy a $80 R5 1600 and a motherboard (with $30 discount) for darn near what I could eBay the FX-8350 and Motherboard for.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Stickman posted:

There has to be some sort of strange and/or sad story here. Are FX-8350s the new money laundering currency?

Some of the cultier denizens of r/AMD, to this day, defend the FX series processors as being Not Total Garbage because they have so many (lovely) cores which clock very high (never mind that you're burning so many watts to do comparatively little work because, as mentioned earlier, the CPU design was a losing bet). They cluster together and defend their decisions (and FX CPUs) to each other, in the middle of discussions about how excited people are about new Ryzens.

There are two main divisions of people who read r/AMD. First (these days) are people who started going there because of Ryzen, for news about upcoming products and/or to talk about their new builds. Second are the old, hard-line, true-believers, who have bad cases of Stockholm syndrome, sunk-cost fallacy, and regard perfectly reasonable business decisions on the part of Intel as deep conspiracies against their AMD waifus. They're also the kind of people who unironically upvote Asian marketing materials involving AMD waifus.

The FX people are, so far as I can tell, the gutter-crust-punk subset of this second group. I have no idea what actually drives them, though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I have a simpler explanation from my experience in this hobby for 17 years: People are generally dumb at choosing components for PCs.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
my cousin asked for help designing a gaming PC, I told him to hit me up on facebook, and the next time I saw him he'd went ahead and bought parts without asking me. He did an FX-8350 build in 2016, and he was kind of ripped off on parts too (iirc he paid like $150 or $175 for his 8350) :chloe:

(worst part is I was window-shopping a 5820K build at that point and if I'd thought of it I could have sold him my board and 4690K for what he paid for the FX and offset some of my build costs...)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 30, 2019

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Palladium posted:

I have a simpler explanation from my experience in this hobby for 17 years: People are generally dumb at choosing components for PCs.

That and people hate being on the losing end of a bet, so they'll rationalize the hell out of their choices just to stave off that buyer's remorse.

An FX-8350 at bargain basement prices will inevitably draw in people who'd be better off with that R5 1600 BeastOfExmoor mentioned.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Palladium posted:

It is pretty incredible how true this is. There's not that many choices, but people almost inevitably make the wrong ones if they're not experienced. Some coworkers built their own workstations a few years ago. They made some decent choices (Samsung Pro SSDs), but just went way off the rails in other areas. For instance, the built them with FX-8350's and top end gaming video cards. 95% of the work they were doing was 2D AutoCAD which to this day essentially does not use video card acceleration and can only use one core.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

That and people hate being on the losing end of a bet, so they'll rationalize the hell out of their choices just to stave off that buyer's remorse.

An FX-8350 at bargain basement prices will inevitably draw in people who'd be better off with that R5 1600 BeastOfExmoor mentioned.

It's the Prescott MOAR Gigahurtzes! tier logic at play. Faster cores and more of them are obviously better than less, slower cores.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rome sampling this quarter, availability in Q3 (Q3 for AMD starts July-September). Doesnt explicitly mention Matisse, by Ryan Smith in the comments does say "Nothing is launching in Q2", so seems like it is still a few months to wait.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14286/amd-7nm-navi-gpu-and-rome-cpu-to-launch-in-q3

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It is pretty incredible how true this is. There's not that many choices, but people almost inevitably make the wrong ones if they're not experienced. Some coworkers built their own workstations a few years ago. They made some decent choices (Samsung Pro SSDs), but just went way off the rails in other areas. For instance, the built them with FX-8350's and top end gaming video cards. 95% of the work they were doing was 2D AutoCAD which to this day essentially does not use video card acceleration and can only use one core.

Before CPUs were market segmented by cores, the #1 bad pick was buying flagship or near flagship clocked CPUs, #2 was overly expensive blinged out mobos, and #3 was buying blinged out GPUs that were priced similarly to a basic higher tiered GPU.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Palladium posted:

Before CPUs were market segmented by cores, the #1 bad pick was buying flagship or near flagship clocked CPUs, #2 was overly expensive blinged out mobos, and #3 was buying blinged out GPUs that were priced similarly to a basic higher tiered GPU.
I think that's too general. It's a bad pick if you're spending the same or more money on something that is worse than the alternatives in every way (ie. buying AMD construction core CPUs in 2019) or if you buy the more expensive things for features you never plan to use (paying more for the identical mainboard but with SLI support, for never running more than 1 GPU).

It's not a bad pick to pay disproportionally more for minimal gains if you actually want or need those gains (buying the Pentium II 300 instead of 233 for a few % of performance, buying the gamer mainboard with the dumb bling because it has better on board sound or more SATA ports, buying the higher tier/slower GPU for its game bundle or the great cooler that stays cool and quiet vs. the base model/faster GPU that renders more pixels/second while sounding like a jet engine).

Obviously specific products exist(ed) that never dropped out of the top category (super expensive gamer grade video cards that were just as fast/loud/hot as the base models, gamer mainboards that used the same components as cheaper ones, except for the badly designed heatsink that doesn't do anything). So it's specific products rather than entire categories being bad picks.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

I did recently buy an FX-9370, but I sure as hell didn't buy it new. 4.4GHz 8 physical cores, loving 220W TDP. :supaburn: My only justification for my purchase is I think I got a suffeciently good deal and the fact that I think it's a fun and cool hot relic from a time when AMD was willing to do crazy poo poo in a desperate attempt to catch up to Intel. It's fascinating, kinda like the Itanic or an EXTREME EDITION Intel CPU. I consider it enthusiast fan boy crap, and well I do like AMD and I wanted something quirky for my ever growing horde of crap immaculate collection.

That said, I did watch a game benchmark comparing an FX-8370 to a Ryzen 5 1600 and it looked like the FX-8370 was fairly close. The 8370 was usually a little slower, about 70fps vs 60fps at 720p but at 1080p or 1440p the 8370 tied or even beat the 1600. Simply put, if I had an old AM3 motherboard that could support the 8350 or 8370, I would probably choose it as an upgrade at it's fire sale price instead of the 1600 which would also need new RAM and a new motherboard.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s like if Intel actually released those Tejas processors. Except those were only 150W!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

I did recently buy an FX-9370, but I sure as hell didn't buy it new. 4.4GHz 8 physical cores, loving 220W TDP. :supaburn: My only justification for my purchase is I think I got a suffeciently good deal and the fact that I think it's a fun and cool hot relic from a time when AMD was willing to do crazy poo poo in a desperate attempt to catch up to Intel. It's fascinating, kinda like the Itanic or an EXTREME EDITION Intel CPU. I consider it enthusiast fan boy crap, and well I do like AMD and I wanted something quirky for my ever growing horde of crap immaculate collection.

That said, I did watch a game benchmark comparing an FX-8370 to a Ryzen 5 1600 and it looked like the FX-8370 was fairly close. The 8370 was usually a little slower, about 70fps vs 60fps at 720p but at 1080p or 1440p the 8370 tied or even beat the 1600. Simply put, if I had an old AM3 motherboard that could support the 8350 or 8370, I would probably choose it as an upgrade at it's fire sale price instead of the 1600 which would also need new RAM and a new motherboard.
Resolution has no impact on CPU performance in games. Someone "benchmarking" with a 6 year old GPU at max settings isn't an accurate reflection of CPU performance. An R5 1600, a $79.99 CPU right now (arguably $49.99 because you get $30 off motherboard too), will get 25%-100% more fps than an FX-9370 depending on the title. Admittedly, I don't know any titles that are hammering float ops like that to achieve 100%, but it's still a huge performance gap.

On top of that, it consumes half as much power so it literally pays for itself over time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 1, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Crotch Fruit posted:

Here's the video, but you're missing this important observation from the author:

quote:

Hello guys, in the case of Rise of the Tomb Raider, FPS on AMD FX are not to trust at 100% since in the final part of the benchmarks, FX 8370 is unable to load properly the Textures, hence having more FPS and altering the metrics a little bit.

That said, for older games and a fixed lower-mid-range GPU, it's not terribly surprising to see the performance gap diminish or disappear at higher resolutions. At lower frame rates, the CPU does less work, so as long as your under the fps range where those particular CPUs start being overloaded for a particular game, you're not going to see much of a performance difference. If you try running newer and more CPU-demanding games, you'll see a performance difference even into the lower frame rates, and same if you bump up the power of the GPU to push frame rates higher.

You'll also start to see a drop off in frame rate stability (measured by 1% frame rates) before you see the average frame rates drop off. For instance, even this weirdo running Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 4k on a 2070 with everything turned up was seeing CPU frame rates drop into the 20s, reducing frame rate stability even though average fps was still 41 fps vs 42 on the 2600. Lowering the resolution or graphics settings to increase frame rate wouldn't affect the CPU spike frames, so you'd still have noticeable drops in frame rates, even though there's still some room before it starts noticeably affect the average fps.

The other important factor (which is a repeat of previous conversation!) is that you could sell that FX-8370, motherboard, and RAM for ~$200 after the ebay/paypal cut, which is only $30 less than a decent 1600 + B450 + 16GB of RAM new at Microcenter. There's literally no reason to throw good money after bad if you have a working motherboard that supports an FX-8370. Just sell that poo poo to some other sucker and upgrade for pocket change!

E: This is the same thing we're running into with older i5s (and occasionally i7s). Stability is starting to become an issue, even at <100 frame rates where average fps is still very close to top-of-the-line CPUs.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 1, 2019

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Stickman posted:

Here's the video, but you're missing this important observation from the author:

The other important factor (which is a repeat of previous conversation!) is that you could sell that FX-8370, motherboard, and RAM for ~$200 after the ebay/paypal cut, which is only $30 less than a decent 1600 + B450 + 16GB of RAM new at Microcenter. There's literally no reason to throw good money after bad if you have a working motherboard that supports an FX-8370. Just sell that poo poo to some other sucker and upgrade for pocket change!

First off, correct video.

quote:

quote:
Hello guys, in the case of Rise of the Tomb Raider, FPS on AMD FX are not to trust at 100% since in the final part of the benchmarks, FX 8370 is unable to load properly the Textures, hence having more FPS and altering the metrics a little bit.
Second, the very next reply:

random youtube troll posted:

Honestly, that has nothing to do with the FX 8370. That same thing happens on my i7-4790. It is an issue with that benchmark itself in the texture loading for the third test.
Is the 1600 faster than an 8370? Yes. Is it more expensive? Hell yes. Is it even more expensive when you have to buy a new motherboard and RAM as well? Sure you can float the money while your parts sit on ebay waiting and hoping for a sale, I for one prefer not to rely on "sell that poo poo to some other sucker" to pawn off my old hardware too when I upgrade. Sure, you get a slightly better CPU, in ideal circumstances where eBay cooperates with you might end up spending an extra $30 more, but even in that scenario you will still have to pay to ship everything.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It obviously depends on the game but in general there's no way Piledriver is remotely competitive with even a R5 1600 anymore. If it works for your games and your resolutions then great but Ryzen is probably at least 30% if not closer to 50% faster on average, even with a highly OC'd Piledriver. It's going to provide a bad experience in a lot of games.

When the 1600 is $80 at Microcenter, even a value argument for Piledriver starts to fall apart, IMO. Like if you have a complete system and you just need to replace the CPU then I guess do whatever, but buying Bulldozer in 2019 is throwing good money after bad, and you certainly shouldn't buy a new mobo/memory/etc for it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 1, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Crotch Fruit posted:

Second, the very next reply:

The problem might not be 8370-specific, but it explains why the 8370 appeared to be performing better than the 1600 at 1440p. If it had correctly loaded the textures, the extra GPU display load would undoubtedly have put performance at parity.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Is the 1600 faster than an 8370? Yes. Is it more expensive? Hell yes. Is it even more expensive when you have to buy a new motherboard and RAM as well? Sure you can float the money while your parts sit on ebay waiting and hoping for a sale, I for one prefer not to rely on "sell that poo poo to some other sucker" to pawn off my old hardware too when I upgrade. Sure, you get a slightly better CPU, in ideal circumstances where eBay cooperates with you might end up spending an extra $30 more, but even in that scenario you will still have to pay to ship everything.

If you care about cost, it's generally not worth keeping old motherboards until they die. Motherboards that can run an FX-8370 still sell for $100+ because people want replacements, but if you wait until it dies then it's worthless. I also wouldn't want to put one on any old AM3+ board - that power draw would easily over-stress the VRM on cheaper boards.

Ebay listed sale prices don't include shipping, so you really would be getting nearly enough to upgrade to a brand-new 1600 system by selling the 8370 components. If you don't have $250 up front for the upgrade, a cpu upgrade could be sensible, but your not really saving an appreciable amount of money, you've significantly hamstrung your ability to play new AAA games or run at high frame rates, and you lose all that value if one of your now-very-old components bites the dust.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 1, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

How much did you pay for that piece of poo poo anyways?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

How much did you pay for that piece of poo poo anyways?
About 1/4 of what I spent on my Ryzen build.

eames
May 9, 2009

TSMC seems ready for a Zen2 die shrink :tipshat:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14290/tsmc-most-7nm-clients-will-transit-to-6nm

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Isn't Zen2 on the regular 7nm process, not 7nm+?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

quote:

N6 uses the same design rules as N7 and enables designers of chips to re-use the same design ecosystem (e.g., tools, etc.), which will allow them to lower development costs. By contrast, N7+ uses different design rules, but also provides more advantages than N6 when compared to N7.

You'd think it would be the other way around, but that would actually make sense.

eames
May 9, 2009

My understanding is that Zen2 is rumored to launch on N7. N6 is the same process but denser. It appears to be suitable for a low-effort die-shrink much like the 2000 series.

The thing is that there's also a N7+ process which apparently requires redesign. Older roadmaps show Zen3 on N7+ due for 2020.

I have to say I'm out of my depth here so maybe someone can shed some light on N6 vs N7+? Anyway, seems a nice problem to have.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I sure hope the dies for Rome/Threadripper use N6 then.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I sure hope the dies for Rome/Threadripper use N6 then.

You still need new masks so probably not unless they decide to do a refresh. I would expect Vermeer and Renoir to be fabbed on N7+ or N5 depending on availabilty since common tooling won't matter for new designs.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
They really should hurry up with Ryzen 3. I'm too tempted to build a current Intel machine instead because this computer feels so slow.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Lambert posted:

They really should hurry up with Ryzen 3. I'm too tempted to build a current Intel machine instead because this computer feels so slow.

This very much feels like a "wait for computex". If nothing is launching until Q3 (July-September) there has to be a fairly large announcement at Computex, even SIGGRAPH makes little sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I really hope the new Eypc gen has similar backwards compatibility so Dell doesn't drag their feet getting the new chips out the door. I have a looming project that could really benefit from doubling the core density