Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
I had no Idea Din's Legacy was out (in EA mind you) so I grabbed it and so far it is easily my favorite of their bunch so far. Even the engine they're running it on feels smoother than in Zombasite and the Mutation system is fun so far. I only just noticed too that it has a 'Combo' % meter that rewards bonus damage based on using different skills instead of spamming just the same one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Zombasite is really easy to break over your knee if you have the right skill: The Necromancer's poison burst has a 2 skill point buy in at first level, making it cheap to buy and upgrade, and poisons everything within 25m around you for 8 ticks. I have it at level 9 on my current character and am doing something like 36 damage per tick, so I walk into a crowd, drop it, run, and watch my screen fill with green +XP notifications. I'll see how well that scales in the late game, but for now, it's stupidly powerful.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

goferchan posted:

I've played a bit and I don't think the levels are even procedurally generated, are they? I like it a lot so far but it doesn't feel that roguelikey to me, other than the random equipment drops from your enemies.

So I played it a bit as well and its pretty much is a great compromise between both the Darks Souls /Rogue like games. The map is not procedural generated but like you mentioned all the drops are random and you go back to the beginning after you die. So its a fun balance between starting with the equipment you've unlocked at the smith and taking a shortcut/teleport to a location OR starting further back with the chance of picking up some much stronger gear/weapons. There are also two meta-progress elements going on at the same time: finding runes to improve damage/stamina/faith and buying buffs from a currency you get for killing mobs.

One thing I like is that the maps are made in such a way that you always have to move forward. It can make completing the map a bit annoying when you'r trying to find a specific path but I like the feeling of always pushing towards a goal and not worrying about back tracking.

For any one curious about Dark Devolution this Steam Guide gives some great background and information about how the game works and plays: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1723865626

BexGu fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 29, 2019

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

OutOfPrint posted:

Zombasite is really easy to break over your knee if you have the right skill: The Necromancer's poison burst has a 2 skill point buy in at first level, making it cheap to buy and upgrade, and poisons everything within 25m around you for 8 ticks. I have it at level 9 on my current character and am doing something like 36 damage per tick, so I walk into a crowd, drop it, run, and watch my screen fill with green +XP notifications. I'll see how well that scales in the late game, but for now, it's stupidly powerful.

That skill is ludicrously strong against most stuff, but I found it badly sucked against certain enemies (like zombie wampirs) because of their high poison resistance. Maybe a level or two in the vulnerability curse from the Conjurer's demon tree (Warlock I think?) would counteract that.

I installed the mod from the Soldak forums that lets you choose three skill trees for hybrid characters, and it rules. Hybrids feel way more viable when they don't lose out on a whole subclass' worth of inherent passive skills, and being able to round out your access to skills with a third tree is great. I made a really interesting melee skirmisher build that used the Paladin subclass (from priest) together with the Defender and Gladiator warrior subclasses to become a kind of dual-purpose frontline brawler who had sky-high melee defense and shat out shield bashes and stunning blows at an incredible rate, but could also start berserking to go all-in on offence (with crazy fast buffed melee attacks, which triggered more stuns and bashes) in exchange for tanking its own defense stat (but still having excellent block and parry ratings to try and mitigate that). It worked really well, feeling robust without being unreasonably powerful. Ended up getting two-shotted by a hostile named death knight with a sledgehammer who immediately turned into an undead knight upon dying lol

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 29, 2019

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I'd like to just throw out that Zombasite is an immensely stupid name for this kind of game

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Magitek posted:

I'd like to just throw out that Zombasite is an immensely stupid name for this kind of game

All the good zombie game names were already taken.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Goddammit, if you close the gate in ADOM but get corrupted to death before you leave the Chain it doesn't count as a win for achievements even though it flags as a win in the necrolog.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Magitek posted:

No, no, it's pronounced zom-ba-see-tay.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I have two questions, or requests.

First, are there any roguelikes where you can have a kid or take a student and then play as them when you die?

Second, a long time ago I played Rogue Survivor and a feature I liked in that was that when you died you could randomly hop into any creature in the game and play as them no matter what their situation is, human and zombie alike. Are there any other roguelikes that have a feature like this?

Thank you!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can mentally dominate a creature in caves of qud, and then with a bit of fiddling, kill your old body off and make the effect permanent.
It's not like you really change roles when you do that, though, it's just a different pawn.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

TOME has a class that can take over monsters, but I've never played it so I don't know much about it. http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=47900

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Jedit posted:

Goddammit, if you close the gate in ADOM but get corrupted to death before you leave the Chain it doesn't count as a win for achievements even though it flags as a win in the necrolog.

Isn't background corruption gone once the gate is closed? Oh wait you probably got hit by corruption attacks or something?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Some versions of -band have the Ring class/race, where you are a, well, ring. FrogComPosBand is one. You have to wait for someone to wear you then attempt to take control of them. I haven’t actually tried it.

Also doesn’t MidBoss do something like that?

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Stretching "roguelike" a bit, but Sunless Sea has generational new games (maybe Sunless Skies as well, but haven't played)

And Massive Chalice has a very strong and relevant aging/legacy mechanic for your "army"

Also, while still in development, Wildermyth has campaigns spanning years; and the character's children will show up in later maps (as well as the main characters aging out)

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 30, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I really bounced off Massive Chalice. I feel like a key part of "manage these people" games for me is having your dudes feel like people with personalities, and I wasn't getting that feeling at all when I played it, they were just faceless robots. That said, I didn't play it all that long; maybe I should give it another try.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

megane posted:

I really bounced off Massive Chalice. I feel like a key part of "manage these people" games for me is having your dudes feel like people with personalities, and I wasn't getting that feeling at all when I played it, they were just faceless robots. That said, I didn't play it all that long; maybe I should give it another try.

The idea is supposed to be that you get attached to the lineages instead of the individual characters. Up to the player how well that's actually executed, though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mithross posted:

Yes and no - you possess a monster and steal their body, but you can return to your own body at any time (and you keep the skills you've learned) and repossessing something you've already possessed can be helpful because you get their health bar and all that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mithross posted:

Some versions of -band have the Ring class/race, where you are a, well, ring. FrogComPosBand is one. You have to wait for someone to wear you then attempt to take control of them. I haven’t actually tried it.

Last I remember the ring race was numerically super-weak and all its powerful damage spells were very mana inefficient and impractical to actually fight high-level enemies with (at least without tons of rare mana-restore potions). My ring character's strategy of choice was to dominate and get worn by a greater lich and then rely on summoners-summoning-summoners shenanigans to kill my enemies for me while I dug a hidey hole and watched the fight with telepathy.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

GorfZaplen posted:

I have two questions, or requests.

First, are there any roguelikes where you can have a kid or take a student and then play as them when you die?
Crusader Kings 2 with a random world and probably animal kingdoms turned on, make it a shattered world too, and get into a LOT of fights.

Only half-shitposting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Social Animal posted:

Isn't background corruption gone once the gate is closed? Oh wait you probably got hit by corruption attacks or something?

Yes, and yes. I'd killed all the monsters capable of reopening the gate and was fighting my way through stray chaos mobs on my way to the stairs.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Jedit posted:

Yes, and yes. I'd killed all the monsters capable of reopening the gate and was fighting my way through stray chaos mobs on my way to the stairs.

Ah that sucks. If only you had some cure corruption scrolls leftover. What race/class were you playing?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Social Animal posted:

Ah that sucks. If only you had some cure corruption scrolls leftover. What race/class were you playing?

Orc Beastfighter, I was going for the magic free victory achievement. I like orcs best for it because they get Backstabbing and Find Weakness and because their gods love weapons that you obviously don't need.

And I didn't get a single scroll or potion of cure corruption beyond the four PoCCs guaranteed from Ice Queen, two of which were shattered by cold before I even got back to the chaos diplomat. It was a really unlucky run apart from being crowned with bracers of war and finding Perion's in a greater vault.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jupiter Hell kickstarter update -

quote:

Jupiter Hell 0.6.0 - The Universal Soldier Update

(Re)Boot Camp
Buckle up, Marines. Today we’re starting a new cadence of updates that culminates in our Early Access release this summer.

We want to better organize our updates around core features we’re implementing, as well as keep our current and future community informed on happenings around the studio, and lastly get more people in the beta for direct feedback for the upcoming release. We’re starting today with what we’re calling the “Universal Soldier” update, so gear up, read this briefing and get your rear end to Jupiter.

The Universal Soldier
We’ve been listening to feedback and made a major gameplay change for 0.6 - universal weapon slots. Separate slots for sidearms, primary and heavy weapons were needlessly complex and not adding much to the tactical gameplay so as of today, you can carry any weapon in any slot. And yes, this means you can carry three chainguns at a time. We’re also adding a trait for Scouts and Technicians to increase the amount of weapon slots available.

Medals, Fixed Exalted Enemies & Gameplay Tweaks
Players of our previous game that start with a D and end with an RL will recognize this next feature - Medals! They are extremely hard to get but you’ll now see Medals show up on your death screen in the player data section. Medals are gameplay achievements that you can collect over time, now including real-time tracking for speedrunners. We’ll be adding badges and more challenges in the future so stay tuned for more updates.

Additionally, we’re doing a little spring cleaning around the games features. We tweaked the level generators for Callisto and Europa with better lootbox and turret placement (check out the new rocket turrets!) as a side-effect. This should also improve the BSP generator to be more common. We also finally fixed exalted enemies to now drop good loot on death - the risk now has a reward!

We made some significant changes are in weapon/ammo balancing:

Revolvers and hunter rifles now use the new .44 ammo. Both got a damage buff and were made common.
Double shotguns and auto shotguns have made more common
Rocket launcher are more viable, as you’ll find heavy enemies carrying them
Revolver, hunter rifles, double shotguns and auto shotguns are now carried by enemies and have their advanced variants available
Last, in 0.5 & 0.5.2 we added full-fledged controller support as well as drones and turrets.

PAX, Discord & Future Plans
We were at PAX East last month and had a great time showing Jupiter Hell to players from around the world!

[...]

Finally, as we mentioned, we’re starting the ‘road to hell’ AKA the road to Early Access. We’re going to be doing larger updates and communicating more as we get closer and closer to release.

Another part of this initiative is growing and organizing our community better. Starting soon, we’re going to have a promotion on our Discord to get more people into the beta and incentivize you to play more. Stay tuned for more but in the meantime, join the Jupiter Hell Discord server here: https://discord.gg/hmzuPKM

That’s it for now, Marines! See you in cosmic space hell.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I hope your work ends up featured in the upcoming undead expansion, I'm still really looking forward to an updated Necromancer or (especially) Deathknight.

Well, the gif of the new Embers class is one I did the development for. Still got to go through a balancing pass on that though. And the 2 listed classes for the DLC are mine as well. Currently I'm finishing up a new Necromancer addon that I'll use as a testbed for DLC ideas:

Victory Position posted:

wait a second, weren't you supposed to update Skirmishers? :thunk:

I'm supposed to update like, every class. I do have a 3/4 finished Skirmisher rework addon sitting on my drive! Turns them into a sling/dagger hybrid rather than sling/shield - still a ranged class, but builds up charges to expend for throwing knife attacks and powerful melee hits. I'll probably include it in my reworks addon at some point, atm I only have new-Berserker released.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Last I remember the ring race was numerically super-weak and all its powerful damage spells were very mana inefficient and impractical to actually fight high-level enemies with (at least without tons of rare mana-restore potions). My ring character's strategy of choice was to dominate and get worn by a greater lich and then rely on summoners-summoning-summoners shenanigans to kill my enemies for me while I dug a hidey hole and watched the fight with telepathy.

they're kind of a challenge race, sort of, if only because of their fuckin' 85% life rating. you can definitely do some stupid bullshit like riding around on saruman as he does horrible, horrible things to your enemies though. very neat to gently caress around on, at least.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
DragonFangZ - The Rose & Dungeon of Time is on sale. I know someone posted about owning it, and it looks from the pictures like an ugly, badly translated, but probably still fun Shiren-like... is it actually worth buying? I have enough Switch games that I don't actively need one but if it's good I'll pick it up while it's $12.50.

...but I can't tell if it's "just" a bad translation or an actual lovely mobage cash grab:

quote:

This game offers a nostalgic and new experience! It is a wonderful Roguelike RPG!

The game's dungeon will test your Brave!! ("Brave" means "Courage" in this game!)

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I got a pre-release key for Trials of Fire, an upcoming RPG deckbuilder with roguelike elements, and I'm taking a look at it tonight if anyone is interested: https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Too Shy Guy posted:

I got a pre-release key for Trials of Fire, an upcoming RPG deckbuilder with roguelike elements, and I'm taking a look at it tonight if anyone is interested: https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames
Won’t be able to catch the stream but the steam promo video looks exceptionally promising

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

tote up a bags posted:

Won’t be able to catch the stream but the steam promo video looks exceptionally promising

I got through the first leg of the journey and it seems really good. You have a party of three adventurers, each with a deck of skills determined by their class and gear. During battles they're tokens on the board, and every turn you draw three cards for each character. Cards can be discarded to generate Willpower (action points) to play cards for any character, or to move the character whose card it was. That means a LOT of tactical considerations every turn, like who drew the best cards to attack with, who can afford to burn cards for Willpower, etc. Your health is persistent between battles too, and you have to manage resources as you travel around so you can make camp to heal and get rid of injury cards.

I think the roguelike element is just the randomized map and encounters on your journey, but it's got a pretty unique and engrossing combat system and a TON of polish on the visuals. The way everything plays out in a book, with the 3D models rising from the page, is super cool. Releases on Friday for anyone who wants to keep up with it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Too Shy Guy posted:

I got through the first leg of the journey and it seems really good. You have a party of three adventurers, each with a deck of skills determined by their class and gear. During battles they're tokens on the board, and every turn you draw three cards for each character. Cards can be discarded to generate Willpower (action points) to play cards for any character, or to move the character whose card it was. That means a LOT of tactical considerations every turn, like who drew the best cards to attack with, who can afford to burn cards for Willpower, etc. Your health is persistent between battles too, and you have to manage resources as you travel around so you can make camp to heal and get rid of injury cards.

I think the roguelike element is just the randomized map and encounters on your journey, but it's got a pretty unique and engrossing combat system and a TON of polish on the visuals. The way everything plays out in a book, with the 3D models rising from the page, is super cool. Releases on Friday for anyone who wants to keep up with it.
Sounds like a more streamlined Card Quest with roguelike elements?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

DACK FAYDEN posted:

DragonFangZ - The Rose & Dungeon of Time is on sale. I know someone posted about owning it, and it looks from the pictures like an ugly, badly translated, but probably still fun Shiren-like... is it actually worth buying? I have enough Switch games that I don't actively need one but if it's good I'll pick it up while it's $12.50.

...but I can't tell if it's "just" a bad translation or an actual lovely mobage cash grab:

I've got... 62 minutes in it on PC. I had a few too many excellent PC roguelikes & lites to have given it a fair shake. I'll see if I can give you a review before the sale ends. Any idea when that'll be?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
What's the current state of Jupiter Hell? Is a few months really enough for them to release a good game? Last I heard it was disappointment.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
This isn't roguelike at all really, but this group likes the thinkygames more than most and Heaven's Vault is amazing and you should play it if you like a good thinkygame.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm trying to get ahead in Invisible Inc's endless plus mode. It's loving impossible, and this is coming from someone who won on hard with every ship in FTL.

It seems like every other mission you just get into unwinnable situations. First mission goes okay and I get to the pad with some cash, second mission boom, I spawn in a room that's next to a hallway with 3 guards on alternating patrol routes, a camera and no cover. Even if I dance around the guards to misdirect them there just isn't enough room to maneuver safely into the rooms across the hallway, since on endless plus the game does not show you line of sight unless you can see the source (guard drone or camera), meaning you have to expend AP on peeking around corners a lot more.

And even if you do that, you still have a chance of opening a door that attracts an unseen guard with not enough AP to be able to run away, you just have to be lucky to get a base layout that you can actually traverse.

The game rules on normal and expert but expert plus and endless plus are pure bullshit. Has anyone managed to get far in these modes?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

LordSloth posted:

I've got... 62 minutes in it on PC. I had a few too many excellent PC roguelikes & lites to have given it a fair shake. I'll see if I can give you a review before the sale ends. Any idea when that'll be?
No clue. eShop cales are capricious. But no rush if you don't have time!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

What's the current state of Jupiter Hell? Is a few months really enough for them to release a good game? Last I heard it was disappointment.

If Kornel has booze and/or coffee available, all manner of things remain possible.

The updates thus far are chunky as they stagger in on along as the pieces crash together not unlike some violent jigsaw puzzle---I have to imagine it'll Get There in the full measure of time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shibawanko posted:

I'm trying to get ahead in Invisible Inc's endless plus mode. It's loving impossible, and this is coming from someone who won on hard with every ship in FTL.

It seems like every other mission you just get into unwinnable situations. First mission goes okay and I get to the pad with some cash, second mission boom, I spawn in a room that's next to a hallway with 3 guards on alternating patrol routes, a camera and no cover. Even if I dance around the guards to misdirect them there just isn't enough room to maneuver safely into the rooms across the hallway, since on endless plus the game does not show you line of sight unless you can see the source (guard drone or camera), meaning you have to expend AP on peeking around corners a lot more.

And even if you do that, you still have a chance of opening a door that attracts an unseen guard with not enough AP to be able to run away, you just have to be lucky to get a base layout that you can actually traverse.

The game rules on normal and expert but expert plus and endless plus are pure bullshit. Has anyone managed to get far in these modes?

The trick is to get Prism's alternate mode where she has a free cloak she can activate whenever, and the Internationale who generates power when the threat level is up. These two together break the game's difficulty in half.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

The trick is to get Prism's alternate mode where she has a free cloak she can activate whenever, and the Internationale who generates power when the threat level is up. These two together break the game's difficulty in half.

So that you have unlimited cloak? That might work yeah.

Most of my runs have been based around a Central/faust/brimstone combo, the idea being that Central makes power a non-issue in the later levels and brimstone can be abused for cash by lingering in the elevator after alarm 6 to get daemon->$200 procs. Maybe that's too much of a late game focus though, I've never tried archive Internationale. Which programs do you use with those two, I'm assuming not faust and brim?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

lordfrikk posted:

I've only done a dozen runs or so over the past few weeks, but once you get over the lack of diagonal movement it starts to feel like doomRL. I'm hopeful! The way the animations play out based on input speed is really slick.

Edit: Here's a short video i took. I ended up getting some odd bug with hitting a guy, then the most brutal rng treatment yet with spawns all around me right at the start. Not the usual experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ESbBZeF0K8

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
The first thing I'm doing when I finally get JH is to set it to ASCII mode.