Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They did say that they thought IW was better and I tend to agree. Without spoiling anything, there is a lot of stuff happening in Endgame and it’s a pretty sprawling narrative even compared to IW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

josh04 posted:

Ya gotta know this is like, the corporate-approved marketing fantasy of why the movies do well. No-one went to see Iron Man and came out saying they really liked how low-key it was, and hundreds of films have had a next-time baddy gurn at the audience near the end. The MCU has made bank using very old-fashioned tools: shitloads of marketing, a consistent product, and carefully nurtured brand loyalty.

I mean, it's not like the failed Cinematic Universe events DIDN'T have all that. Pacing and characterization absolutely do have an effect on audiences.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
remember when Thor fought Gort in front of the Dollar General while living in a van down by the river?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I couldn't stay awake for most of the extended LOTR cuts. I'm not gonna see Endgame in theaters because I don't think I could survive trying to even stream it months from now when I can pause and resume it at will.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fabricated posted:

I couldn't stay awake for most of the extended LOTR cuts. I'm not gonna see Endgame in theaters because I don't think I could survive trying to even stream it months from now when I can pause and resume it at will.
Endgame never stops moving and it was probably the most brisk watch of a 3 plus hour movie I’ve ever experienced

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USrdUXH3iqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFonFfFsXcQ
Sideways is cool and good.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 29, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Down the Rabbit Hole: The Hurdy Gurdy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
New Jon Bois, on the disappearance of Bobs from sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvh6NLqKRfs

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWNynKJtB9U

SomecallmeJohnny did a video on Hey You, Pikachu!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Ralph did a video about Bruce Willis not giving a poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

The most beautiful part of all of this is just how miserable Bruce Willis is even doing the bare minimum amount of acting* work anymore and still making what an average person would consider shitloads of money for it. It's like he's trapped in some kind of ironic hell.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd love to know why he keeps doing it. He can't be enjoying himself, and I don't think he needs the money?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd love to know why he keeps doing it. He can't be enjoying himself, and I don't think he needs the money?

That was kind of the thesis statement of his Comedy Central Roast last year. Just, "why are you still doing this when you clearly hate it?"

Well, that and a 20 minute interlude where Edward Norton talked about Edward Norton and how loving Not Mad Edward Norton was that Mark Ruffalo became a beloved mega star off a role that Edward Norton pissed away because Edward Norton is a prissy dink who's impossible to work with as an actor.

Edward Norton.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, God, he's turned into a bald Steven Segal.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When was the last movie Bruce Willis gave a poo poo?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jimbot posted:

Sin City, maybe? Not even that, really.

e: I think there's an argument to be made for Die Hard with a Vengeance as the Last Good Willis Performance.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The MCU was written on the fly at the start (Thanos appeared in Avengers 1 because they figured Loki needed to answer to a bigger bad) and the Hulk '08 was produced outside Disney-Marvel, which means legally Hulk can only be in crossovers. Disney-Marvel nowadays will only contract actors they know they have open schedules and have at least ten years of franchise potential. It would have been impossible to get a recurring performance from a prima-donna like Norton. Just like it was dumb idea to get a big-shot like Affleck to play Batman instead of someone unknown or new.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 29, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The MCU was written on the fly at the start (Thanos appeared in Avengers 1 because they figured Loki needed to answer to a bigger bad) and the Hulk '08 was produced outside Disney-Marvel, which means legally Hulk can only be in crossovers. Disney-Marvel nowadays will only contract actors they know they have open schedules and have at least ten years of franchise potential. It would have been impossible to get a recurring performance from a prima-donna like Norton. Just like it was dumb idea to get a big-shot like Affleck to play Batman instead of someone unknown or new.

Yeah, Norton is just a misery elemental and absolutely out of phase with literally everyone else attached to the MCU. Him no longer being the Hulk is a very good thing.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Norton is just a misery elemental and absolutely out of phase with literally everyone else attached to the MCU. Him no longer being the Hulk is a very good thing.

Which makes it all the more perfect that he basically plays himself in Birdman.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I wasn't aware Ed Norton had such a bad reputation

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

nine-gear crow posted:

Plus he kind of takes over productions, I think he ended up with a writer's credit in Hulk iirc

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

I Before E posted:

I wasn't aware Ed Norton had such a bad reputation

Heard he has a rider in his contract where he basically gets to rewrite any scene that involves him

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah Ed Norton is notorious for wanting complete creative control over the character he's playing and being a very unpleasant person to anyone who pushes back against him

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Which is so weird how he's so delightful in Wes Anderson movies.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

His reputation bit him in the arse eventually. Seems like he could never help himself from having to be the centre of attention after winning his running battle with Tony Kaye (who, to be fair, is an equally difficult person to work with by all accounts) on American History X, which Kaye apparently wanted to be a much grittier film until Norton stepped in and forced through another cut behind his back.

Bloody great actor when he wants to be, at least.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Alaois posted:

yeah Ed Norton is notorious for wanting complete creative control over the character he's playing and being a very unpleasant person to anyone who pushes back against him

Any recommended reading about this? I'm trying to look into it and I'm not finding much outside some old interviews that only talk about his arguments with Tony Kaye, and even that doesn't get much elaboration.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ZAC-3cRNo

Games as Lit is not my favorite critic but they're doing a video about literally the only reason I own a Nintendo DS and so I'm plugging it. Series just finished, the start of the series is up top.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 30, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Are there any good videos about Hamilton out there? I just finished listening to it and I really like the production and composition aspects of it, even if it is dishonest about American history.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 30, 2019

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Looper?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Writing on Games looks at Star Citizen from the perspective of someone who is neither invested in its success nor failure. He titled the video "A Personal Exploration" but I think "An Existential Nightmare" would be equally fitting considering all the issues he runs into:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhzU806jxnY

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I like his take that Star Citizen is an unintentional Sisyphean horror masterpiece.

It never ceases to amaze me how all-in CIG went with the asset creation before they had anything like a functional game engine, and because they're now stuck with fan expectations they have to essentially develop a game rear end-end first and hope for the best.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah, that sounds about right. He actually put in a pretty drat good performance for it.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
People who make videogames? Without bean counters? Bad with money?!?!

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I looked up, what Bruce Willis was up to and holy poo poo. And John Goodman?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdmFD81pBWw

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Solitair posted:

Are there any good videos about Hamilton out there? I just finished listening to it and I really like the production and composition aspects of it, even if it is dishonest about American history.

Haven't seen anything, personally :shrug: Have you looked at the Genius playlist for it, though? It's got a ton of annotations, with many of them approved and/or written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Super interesting stuff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Solitair posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKd5B17-EM

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol beat me to it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So since Endgame's out and it's legal to talk about Marvel movies as long as no one's crying in the theater, what did Brie Larson do exactly? Did she say something like 'Of all the movies that're probably coming out, I'd be most excited to see Shuri get her own really.' And most comments about her range from 'A wet rag of a character' to 'unlikable stuck up bitch' So I've gotta know like, what'd she do? Did she say gamers are dead or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

I think I found your answer