Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
- The pilot is just one big excuse to have a character go back in time and prevent Romulus from being destroyed in the Trek timeline as a plot device, and as an aside that never had to be there in the first place, blows up Romulus in the JJverse by accident. Because gently caress that/him.
- Positivity and meaningful interesting political/ethical issues.
- Also S31 is never heard from again because we want positivity and because Starfleet has Starfleet Intelligence already and there is nothing interesting left that you can do with S31 other than have them leak the mirror universe into everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

ALRIGHT, YA FOOKIN' GEEKS.

Continue Star Trek. Give me a premise for Post-Dominion war/Voyager/Nemesis/JJ Abrams horse poo poo romulus blowing up.

in tandem the collapse of the romulan empire, vulcan holds a referendum and decides to leave the federation

Star Trek: Vexit

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
DS9 "season 8" "spoilers" i do not hate the idea of the alpha quadrant jem'hadar finding a new religion

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Continue Star Trek. Give me a premise for Post-Dominion war/Voyager/Nemesis/JJ Abrams horse poo poo romulus blowing up.

For my own money

- Immediately kill off Section 31 before the first season is over.

That's about it, actually. I actually hate Section 31.

A starship goes out exploring and finds weird and awesome poo poo in space each week.

That's it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

lol but seriously posted:

DS9 "season 8" "spoilers" i do not hate the idea of the alpha quadrant jem'hadar finding a new religion

Yeah, that made a lot of sense. What do you do with all these super soldiers running around who are hard-wired to believe in gods? Give them better gods.

Sometimes I read Memory Alpha entries for episodes or movies so I can see how the story went from idea to screen. Sometimes people pitch really terrible ideas that get worked into something usable through the rewrite process, or just thrown out altogether. Just part of the process.

EDIT: I also want to point out I do kind of like the idea of things getting to just the right point of being hosed up that the Sisko has to awake from his slumber to set things right.

Though not "your hero characters abandon all their values and become murderers" hosed up, yeesh.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 30, 2019

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I always enjoyed certain elements of Brian Singer's failed Star Trek revival pitch. I wonder how much of it the Discovery writers will crib seeing as how that was also set in the year 3,000.

I like his proposal for what would become of the major powers:

quote:

Earth’s Humans have become “fat and happy” but this has led to complacency where humans are “giving up exploration for incremental colonization and focusing more on the rightness of their own cultural view over all others”

Many younger members of the UFP have left, eschewing this “human-centric” Federation

Vulcans have been disengaging from the Federation and have reunified with the Romulans, spending most of the last 3 centuries focused on creating a new “joined society” overseen by two “quasi-religious clerics who rule according to logic and what is best for their unified peoples, combining Romulan Machiavellian politics with Vulcan logic.

Bajorans have withdrawn from the Federation to become insular in order to focus on their religion and communing with the Prophets. Bajor is now “like a planet sized Tibet”, handing over all temporal concerns to the Ferengi

The Klingons have undergone a “massive reformation” moving away from their Viking-like brawling to become a “civilization of warrior mystics” akin to the Tang Dynasty), now flying “sleek” and “serene” ships and while they maintain diplomacy with the Federation they have returned to expanding the Empire via conquest

The Cardassians have transformed into a “society of artists and philosophers” who now “walk the path” and are now dedicated to a philosophy with “the view of the galaxy as a place created solely to test the faithful.”

The Ferengi are no longer a “joke” but have become “quite powerful”. Equality for females (including a female Nagus) is “the only concession they have made to progress” and with “the Greater Federation’s cashless society as a restriction, the Ferengi Alliance is now able to shine in its full capitalist glory.” The Ferengi are also making big bucks marketing the Bajoran religion around the galaxy, including pilgrimages to the Bajoran Wormhole.

Starfleet has been reduced to a “mere peace-keeping force” protecting fringe worlds from aliens and from fighting each other, with starships are old and spread out too thin

The new ship's computer is a self-aware AI named M.A.J.E.L. which I kind of enjoyed. There was a crewman who was a gaseous species who wore a suit to make him appear humanoid.

My pitch would be something like this but without some of his :eyeroll: ideas like a new Enterprise being captained by a descendant of Kirk, having a Borg crewman, and having the new Enterprise being secretly commissioned mainly to fight some new bad guy (but flying under the guise of spearheading a new exploration campaign).

As far as "fall of the Federation" ideas go, this one wasn't too bad. It kind of set the stage that humanity is getting complacent and needs a revival, but isn't some post-apocalyptic mess or super-corrupt paranoid state or something.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 30, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's actually got some decent legs.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

But why does the Federation need to become decadent? It is just a lazy rehash of Roman Empire style collapse without understanding why the Roman Empire fell apart and just copy/pasting it to the Federation.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Peachfart posted:

But why does the Federation need to become decadent? It is just a lazy rehash of Roman Empire style collapse without understanding why the Roman Empire fell apart and just copy/pasting it to the Federation.

I wouldn't do "fat and happy" but self-obsessed is not outside our species' tendencies.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Klingons learning some chill is pretty cool too bad bryan singer is a horrible abusive pervert

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Peachfart posted:

The pitch was kind of making the case that in the long term, utopia isn't something that can just rest on its laurels. It's more of something that needs to have some passion behind it, so our show would take place in a time where things have gotten stagnant and we're re-igniting the fire to keep the big picture moving forward.

Here's some more details:

https://trekmovie.com/2011/04/16/exclusive-details-excerpts-from-star-trek-federation-series-proposal/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

The Klingons learning some chill is pretty cool too bad bryan singer is a horrible abusive pervert

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

If you want weird, out-there ideas the JMS pitch for a Trek reboot was a pretty good read.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 30, 2019

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Peachfart posted:

I think some of it is that the TNG era Treks kinda created a situation where the Federation was like... boringly strong compared to everyone, The Romulan Empire is hosed, the Klingons are allies and also pretty hosed from the wars, Cardassia is utterly hosed, the Dominion lost. Shaking things up a bit to rebuild utopia I think is a good idea.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'd set it in the 31st century, long after the previous shows. The Enterprise will be the first Federation starship to explore the neighboring galaxies. The show would be heavily focused on characters and interpersonal conflicts. The ship would have embassies aboard, with ambassadors present to observe the Federation's conduct.

The Romulan ambassador is a traditionalist and a harsh critic of the Federation. She sees the Federation has a homogenizing force, destroying the unique beauty of alien cultures. She has a particularly tense relationship with the ship's Klingon CMO, who is disdainful of Klingon traditions. At the same time, she has mixed feelings about Romulan society, which has changed considerably after absorbing much of the territory formerly occupied by the Borg.

The captain is an eternal optimist who loves exploration and loves learning about alien cultures. This is contrasted by the XO, who is an absurdist and a cynic. The XO and the Dominion ambassador are drinking buddies who like to grouse about the state of modern civilization.

In the newly-visited galaxy, they'll discover evidence of a highly advanced civilization, equal in scope and technology to the Federation, that vanished eons ago. Understanding that civilization and what happened to it will be an undercurrent through the first season, culminating in a season finale that will make everyone grapple with the meaning and value of culture, with the future of the galaxy at stake. My goal here is to have a continuing plot thread to tie the season together thematically while still giving plenty of room for more episodic content.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Orv posted:

I give the prequels far more latitude than they deserve based solely on the quality of the fight choreography and absolutely nothing else so I'm hardly blameless. Though to be fair I'm not really a Star Wars person at all so I don't have the slavering rage about their quality as anything other than bad movies in the first place.

the fight choreography is pointless and distracting and symptomatic of everything lovely about those movies, hope this helps

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Peachfart posted:

I mean, that goes back to The Rod. Roddenberry wrote a novelization of The Motion Picture, and in it, Kirk talks about how humanity as a whole has become so risk averse, arrogant and complacent, 99% of the population can't get in Starfleet, and that it's entirely made up of this atavistic feeling of humanity that can endure hardship, take orders, and not freak out when they're exposed to something they dont understand or is superior to humanity.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I'd set it in the 31st century, long after the previous shows. The Enterprise will be the first Federation starship to explore the neighboring galaxies. The show would be heavily focused on characters and interpersonal conflicts. The ship would have embassies aboard, with ambassadors present to observe the Federation's conduct.

Too far in the future.

quote:

The Romulan ambassador is a traditionalist and a harsh critic of the Federation. She sees the Federation has a homogenizing force, destroying the unique beauty of alien cultures. She has a particularly tense relationship with the ship's Klingon CMO, who is disdainful of Klingon traditions. At the same time, she has mixed feelings about Romulan society, which has changed considerably after absorbing much of the territory formerly occupied by the Borg.

Excellent idea.

quote:

The captain is an eternal optimist who loves exploration and loves learning about alien cultures. This is contrasted by the XO, who is an absurdist and a cynic. The XO and the Dominion ambassador are drinking buddies who like to grouse about the state of modern civilization.

I like this a lot.

quote:

In the newly-visited galaxy, they'll discover evidence of a highly advanced civilization, equal in scope and technology to the Federation, that vanished eons ago. Understanding that civilization and what happened to it will be an undercurrent through the first season, culminating in a season finale that will make everyone grapple with the meaning and value of culture, with the future of the galaxy at stake. My goal here is to have a continuing plot thread to tie the season together thematically while still giving plenty of room for more episodic content.

no strong opinions. if it turns out okay then woo hoo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Deep-range exploration squadron centered around a large starship (maybe an upgraded Galaxy-class? make it the mobile starbase she always wanted to be) pushing out into unexplored space. Kick it out entirely beyond the borders of Federation space... we could start out in the outer fringes of Federation space, but by no later than mid-season the show should be firmly beyond Federation jurisdiction. Intermittent contact with Starfleet Command, get some of the old-time multi-week time delayed communications going. Maybe there's a Romulan starship/squadron lurking around as well, if we really need a familiar frenemy around, but for the most part the planets and peoples we encounter should be entirely new.

Mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Also it's time to fully commit to Bob Justman's concept: there will be multiple Klingons in uniform and it will be a normal, unremarkable thing for the crew.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

There is nothing you couldn't have multiple ships on the same mission too if you felt the nees.

I likethe idea of them hopping around galaxies so as not to just encounter planets if fhe week, but maybe vast interstellar civilizations of the week. TOS style allegorical societies scaled up so to be visually stunning with a modern budget, with opportunity for TNG style political situations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 12, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All I ask of a post-Nemesis series is for the crew to include a Romulan starfleet officer. Romulus is in ruins, there’s bound to be idealists who defect to starfleet instead of staying with the dying Empire. Give them the Worf treatment and actually expand the race beyond just ‘secretive cold war enemies’. The Romulan general (ambassador?) in late-DS9 and the defector from TNG were great characters that actually gave us small glimpses at what Romulans were like beyond the subterfuge. Give me more of that. The Klingons, Vulcans, Cardassians, and Ferengi all got their due in the 90s. Even the Andorians were explored on Enterprise. The Romulans and Tellarites are like the last two big Trek races that haven’t been completely mined for stories.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

gently caress a Romulan! Bus-seat-fabric rear end motherfuckers making sex slaves of Tasha Yar. I'd rather see more Tellarites.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TV shows are like food, the best stuff has an expiration date. Revive nothing.

As has been suggested countless times, I'd be down for a totally new show that incorporates some ideas from a "writers' bible" about what happened after DS9 season 7, but I do not want a literal season 8.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I can't think of one single thing from that pitch that is a good idea.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I can't think of one single thing from that pitch that is a good idea.

It’s really bad OP

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

I'm looking it over now and I've just learned that apparently Richard Moll was considered for the part of Dukat. I'm... not even sure what to say to that.

Allow me to help you:

"Oooooooooooooooooo-kay."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All I ask of a post-Nemesis series is for the crew to include a Romulan starfleet officer. Romulus is in ruins, there’s bound to be idealists who defect to starfleet instead of staying with the dying Empire. Give them the Worf treatment and actually expand the race beyond just ‘secretive cold war enemies’. The Romulan general (ambassador?) in late-DS9 and the defector from TNG were great characters that actually gave us small glimpses at what Romulans were like beyond the subterfuge. Give me more of that. The Klingons, Vulcans, Cardassians, and Ferengi all got their due in the 90s. Even the Andorians were explored on Enterprise. The Romulans and Tellarites are like the last two big Trek races that haven’t been completely mined for stories.

It's so weird to me that Romulans never got to be a movie villain, outside of JJTrek. I know they were planned for Generations. You'd have to fix their stupid universal uniforms and hairstyles, but they got so much play in TNG.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Berman era romulans are loving stupid in almost every way and they should just roll their characterization as a species right back to the 60s

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, that made a lot of sense. What do you do with all these super soldiers running around who are hard-wired to believe in gods? Give them better gods.
Ok, so here's an idea.

The Bajoran church is changing, turning more moderate and what not. There's a small group of hardliners who still want things to go back to the old days; caste system, the whole nine yards. They get the bright idea you mentioned, go off on a conversion trip, come back with said converts in tow, and kick off a holy war. Bajor is a member of the Federation at this point, so the duly elected and legitimate government calls for help. The Federation, and Star Fleet, now find themselves in a real bad spot.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's the 29th century. Open on Utopia Planitia as Starfleet's first temporal vessel is christened as the flagship for its new Department of Temporal Investigations, captained by... gently caress it, Captain Odo. Its inaugural mission: go back to the 24th century and stop Romulus from blowing up. It succeeds. Warping back to the 29th centry, the effects of Odo's incursion are made known: Q has enforced a strict galaxy-wide ban on time travel. Every sentient individual hears a booming voice in their head: "Stop loving around, idiots." Time travel is never used as a plot device in Star Trek ever again, and Captain Odo lived happily ever after.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
My plan for a new Star Trek is not to have any new Star Trek.

Star Trek has been remarkably successful. You've had seven different TV shows, thirteen films, and fans all over the place. You've got novels, video games, card games, and no end to the amount of toys and merchandise. You've got books and comic books. You've got an entire written language people write books it. It's been a success beyond measure.

The problem that comes with that is that the show has so much baggage...so much studio expectation, so much fan expectation, and so much canonical history that its impossible to be original anymore. That's why so much of the reason stuff is based on fan nostalgia....Discovery takes place before TOS and throws in Spock and Section 31, the new Picard show is, well, about Picard.

Its gotten to the point where you cant have any sort of original ideas with the franchise...you're just cashing in on Boomer and Gen-X nostalgia, at this point.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The setting is great and has tons of room for great storytelling! just dont gently caress it up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's this about Romulus blowing up?

The extent of my knowledge of Trek canon is confined to TNG/DS9/Voyager. I thought all the other series were set before or during those three and the jjabrams movies were some alt universe?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Oxyclean posted:

What's this about Romulus blowing up?

The extent of my knowledge of Trek canon is confined to TNG/DS9/Voyager. I thought all the other series were set before or during those three and the jjabrams movies were some alt universe?

JJTrek is an alternate universe because Romulus blew up after Voyager and one Romulan guy got really butt hurt so he hijacked a ship and flew it back to the past to kill Kirk’s dad to get revenge on Spock for letting Romulus blow up. This is all quite as dumb as it sounds.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

skasion posted:

JJTrek is an alternate universe because Romulus blew up after Voyager and one Romulan guy got really butt hurt so he hijacked a ship and flew it back to the past to kill Kirk’s dad to get revenge on Spock for letting Romulus blow up. This is all quite as dumb as it sounds.

He also blew up Vulcan

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
A lot of people are reading very heavily into a pitch that a few writers threw together on a lark and didn't refine at all!

Anyway,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn2tZMk62sY

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CPColin posted:

A lot of people are reading very heavily into a pitch that a few writers threw together on a lark and didn't refine at all!

yeah, because it is impressively bad.

If it were just "uh Sisko comes back but he's actually the evil one now because the wormhole aliens got confused and put him and dukat in the wrong bodies when they spit them out, so they all hop on board the Defiant go to the Great Link for advice, many amusing hijinks are had, and it's ultimately solved using some sort of vulcan technique" then that would be silly or doopy but be in keeping with how star trek is and has always been a weird soap opera

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The preview for the S8 episode makes it look like they're absolutely just winging it.
"the Defiant is running away!" *awkward pause* "uhhh, to the wormhole! Yeah why not?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

lol but seriously posted:

yo what about this poo poo?

Tighclops posted:

The Klingons learning some chill

but the jem'hadar adopt the old ways and see the OG klingons as a fallen people. some meat on those bones, right?