Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Celexi posted:

Russia has no problem murdering anyone's citizens abroad

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

or planting cp on their computers abroad. still the only legit cp-planting incident i'm aware of

Wait what?

What happened here

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

They get poo poo done

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-01-07-mn-13892-story.html

quote:

The KGB has adopted novel, brutal and apparently effective methods of dealing with terrorists who attack Soviet interests in the Middle East, an Israeli newspaper reported Monday.

The Jerusalem Post said the Soviet secret police last year secured the release of three kidnapped Soviet diplomats in Beirut by castrating a relative of a radical Lebanese Shia Muslim leader, sending him the severed organs and then shooting the relative in the head.

The incident began when four Soviet diplomats were kidnapped last September by Muslim extremists who demanded that Moscow pressure the Syrian government to stop pro-Syrian militiamen from shelling rival Muslim positions in the northern Lebanese city of Tripoli.

The militiamen, the Jerusalem paper said, did not cease their attacks, and the body of one of the Soviet diplomats, Arkady Katkov, was found a few days later in a field in Beirut.

The KGB then apparently kidnapped and killed a relative of an unnamed leader of the Shias' Hezbollah (Party of God) group, a radical, pro-Iranian group that has been suspected of various terrorist activities against Western targets in Lebanon.

Parts of the man's body, the paper said, were then sent to the Hezbollah leader with a warning that he would lose other relatives in a similar fashion if the three remaining Soviet diplomats were not immediately released. They were quickly freed.

The newspaper quoted "observers in Jerusalem" as saying: "This is the way the Soviets operate. They do things--they don't talk. And this is the language Hezbollah understands."

Six Americans, missing for up to two years, are presumed to be kidnapping victims in Lebanon.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
God drat, the KGB don't mess around

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Wait what?

What happened here
i'm having trouble finding it, pretty certain i'm not mixing it up with bukovsky. from what i recall it never go to a trial stage because the machine was isolated mid-infection and the addition was self-evident even to the police (the critic called it in iirc)

i am avoiding using certain terms to find it tbf

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the sanders campaign just released a canvassing app and (allegedly) their approach to securing voter info was... not great

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the sanders campaign just released a canvassing app and (allegedly) their approach to securing voter info was... not great

the voter ID fields shown in that screenshot are all publicly available info

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

that only seems like an issue if their data vendor is using real voter id numbers for their ids which would be dumb af but certainly possible

edit: oh yeah duh the actual voter info is all public anyway

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I don't think it's public data everywhere in the country. The only campaign contacts I have ever gotten (Minnesota) started coming after I went to a party caucus in 2008. I only get mailers from that party. Maybe some generic voter data is public but I don't think I've ever been contacted by any other party or wedge group

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

nobody show trump this story or he'll be calling up Liam Neeson and demanding he castrate some random Libyans or whatever the current target is (Yemen maybe?)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I don't think it's public data everywhere in the country. The only campaign contacts I have ever gotten (Minnesota) started coming after I went to a party caucus in 2008. I only get mailers from that party. Maybe some generic voter data is public but I don't think I've ever been contacted by any other party or wedge group

voter roles are public data but youre limited in how youre allowed to use it and its not free.

for minnesota for example: https://www.sos.state.mn.us/election-administration-campaigns/data-maps/registered-voter-list-requests/

quote:

Voter name, address, phone, birth year, voter ID, legacy ID (pdf only), registration date (text only), county, MCD, precinct, school district code, other district codes, detailed voting history (election date, election description, and voting method).

$46 per election, but youve got to find a minnesota voter to do it for you and you have to use it for "purposes related to elections, political activities, or law enforcement"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

how much the voter roles cost (anywhere from $0 to thousands), who's allowed access, and what you're allowed to do with them varies from state to state

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/bread_berries/status/1122286859680268289?s=21

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

man if i could get hot dog stand and some chips challenge goin, now THATS a road trip

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Lutha Mahtin posted:

man if i could get hot dog stand and some chips challenge goin, now THATS a road trip

for felon's next move, an easter egg enables full hot dog stand theming in all tesla interfaces

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

how would autopilot react to red being inside the car

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

duz posted:

fire hopefully

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

duz posted:

topological collapse

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Krankenstyle posted:

topological collapse

tesla model klein

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
newer hyundais run android. there's an escape for my 2017 ioniq floating about that is more or less useless for me since i use iOS

the password to get into engineering mode is literally the clock's time

https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/connected-car/hack-navigation-multimedia-systems-kia-t3892333

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 30, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

finally totp for cars

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

really glad i got the last model year of my car that has a basic radio without a big screen or usb connections or anything and the only vaguely modern part of it is simple bluetooth pairing for music

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

finally totp for cars

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

6 months later, does anyone have a good explanation for the bloomberg story on supermicro? was it just shoddy journalism, or are there any theories about something more nefarious happening there? the companys stock still hasnt recovered.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

my bitter bi rival posted:

6 months later, does anyone have a good explanation for the bloomberg story on supermicro? was it just shoddy journalism, or are there any theories about something more nefarious happening there? the companys stock still hasnt recovered.

it has kernels of truth but likely isn't as widespread as they've made it out to be

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't have a source handy, but the whole thing fizzled out from lack of evidence and multiple people coming forward saying that it isn't a real thing.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Fool posted:

I don't have a source handy, but the whole thing fizzled out from lack of evidence and multiple people coming forward saying that it isn't a real thing.

right, it seemed like everyone was like "thats not real" and then bloomgberg said "no it is trust us" and then the story just... went away? I feel like theres another story there that we will probably never hear and i want some conspiracy theories about it

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Unlikely, here's more Bloomberg being kinda lovely:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-30/vodafone-found-hidden-backdoors-in-huawei-equipment?srnd=technology-vp

I've not actually seen any evidence of Huawei actively backdooring aside from the typical consumer telnet daemon that literally all vendors were guilty of in the early 2000's and 2010's and just generally lovely security development practices all around.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

right, it seemed like everyone was like "thats not real" and then bloomgberg said "no it is trust us" and then the story just... went away? I feel like theres another story there that we will probably never hear and i want some conspiracy theories about it

i noticed some security folks on twitter kept taking shots at bloomberg for a while but bloomberg just..... ignored them

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i noticed some security folks on twitter kept taking shots at bloomberg for a while but bloomberg just..... ignored them

an effective pr move, honestly

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It's also worth noting that neither of the authors of the bloomberg article have been active on twitter since shortly after it was published:
https://twitter.com/MichaelRileyDC/with_replies
https://twitter.com/jordanr1000/with_replies

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Fool posted:

It's also worth noting that neither of the authors of the bloomberg article have been active on twitter since shortly after it was published:
https://twitter.com/MichaelRileyDC/with_replies
https://twitter.com/jordanr1000/with_replies

thank you, yes, this is exactly the sort of thing im talking about!! its so loving weird. they were both relatively active twitter users up til that point.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ewiley posted:

Unlikely, here's more Bloomberg being kinda lovely:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-30/vodafone-found-hidden-backdoors-in-huawei-equipment?srnd=technology-vp

I've not actually seen any evidence of Huawei actively backdooring aside from the typical consumer telnet daemon that literally all vendors were guilty of in the early 2000's and 2010's and just generally lovely security development practices all around.

and the vendor response: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48103430

quote:

"The 'backdoor' that Bloomberg refers to is Telnet, which is a protocol that is commonly used by many vendors in the industry for performing diagnostic functions. It would not have been accessible from the internet.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
considering when i scanned afrinic a almost a decade ago, i found multitudes of telnet servers tagged as belonging to vodaphone and were not huawei equipment either (like nortel, qualcomm, nokia, and cisco)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the backdoor disguises the device fingerprint? that's pretty advanced

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have seen these backdoors on most manufacturers, they are usually lovely security practices and policies. Afterall I did find a way to telnet to my cable modem in 2000 to access some hidden configuration from outside the network. And it was a 3com not huwaei

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

bloomberg like every other news outlet is hemorrhaging money so any click is good

any click

friends don't let friends telnet jesus

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
pre-masscan, scanning a /8 took a long time

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

thank you, yes, this is exactly the sort of thing im talking about!! its so loving weird. they were both relatively active twitter users up til that point.

maybe because people kept dunking on them over and over? idk but it's a theory lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Did someone seriously gently caress up? LMAO