Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

RareAcumen posted:

So since Endgame's out and it's legal to talk about Marvel movies as long as no one's crying in the theater, what did Brie Larson do exactly? Did she say something like 'Of all the movies that're probably coming out, I'd be most excited to see Shuri get her own really.' And most comments about her range from 'A wet rag of a character' to 'unlikable stuck up bitch' So I've gotta know like, what'd she do? Did she say gamers are dead or something?

said "no one wants to hear white male opinions" about wrinkle in time's failure and so net chuds took it upon themselves to attack her and whine constantly about her in order to protect the weak white race from mayocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
So, does anybody know anything about this? I'd hate to think that Kyle is a bad guy.

https://twitter.com/ravenalegria13/status/1122935685671989248

https://twitter.com/ravenalegria13/status/1122936967560409088

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Senerio posted:

I think I found your answer

I never caught any of the dialogue about The Ancient One back when Doctor Strange came out that weren't collar tugs about how Tilda Swinton was playing the character now and- uh maybe something about whitewashing? I think there was something about the character originally being Tibetan but I cannot remember- that's about it. I had to wonder because I just suck at finding people getting mad about these movies. In my world-because I'm oblivious- there wasn't a lot of people getting mad at Scarlet Witch, Gamora, Nebula, but the Black Widow hate still certainly existed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

volts5000 posted:

So, does anybody know anything about this? I'd hate to think that Kyle is a bad guy.
Even after reading it I don't know anything about him being a serial abuser.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Even after reading it I don't know anything about him being a serial abuser.

Yeah. That’s what I was wondering. I’m not dismissing or downplaying her experience. I just wanted to know more.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It sounds like a messy breakup five years ago.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do we judge by one's past or by who they are now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll wait to hear Kyle's response, then.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

gently caress contributing to any of this, sick of this multi tweet taken as serious bullshit

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 1, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Both obviously, what the gently caress kinda question is that?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The worst thing Brie has been involved with recently doesn't even really have anything to do with her. Like it's not her fault in any way.

She and Jimmy Fallon played Beat Saber on his show a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05pzUXujMJU

The network put the entire clip on their YouTube channel of course, but now tons of Beat Saber content is getting flagged as belonging to The Tonight Show.

Jimmy, Jimmy please.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It sounds like a messy breakup five years ago.

That’s how I read it as well. I’m taking this one with a huge grain of salt.

The whole part of refusing to accept he wasn’t gonna wait with her at the hospital was flatout weird to me

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

You have been posting since 2013, you tell me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RareAcumen posted:

Both obviously, what the gently caress kinda question is that?

A rhetorical one.

Dean of Swing posted:

You have been posting since 2013, you tell me.

Someone's past informs their future but doesn't define it. While I am saddened to hear about how Kyle's last relationship hurt this person I don't believe that should somehow invalidate what he's done to discuss depression over the years. I certainly wouldn't want to be judged based off of my dumbass teenage posting from six years ago since I'm not exactly proud of my opinions from back then. I don't think anyone enjoys being judged based on who they were as opposed to who they are now. You have to weigh the past against the present and if someone has taken steps to change for the better then I support that effort. So I am interested to see what Kyle says, if he chooses to say anything on this matter.

At the same time I'm not dismissing these allegations out of hand. I try not to dwell on things and I can't imagine what it must be like to have a bad relationship hang over you for years like this. It's got to suck.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 1, 2019

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

volts5000 posted:

Yeah. That’s what I was wondering. I’m not dismissing or downplaying her experience. I just wanted to know more.

I was really hoping this would not snowball - suffice to say there is a lot that she is leaving out. I and a lot of other people were there in 2014 and remember this incident (we all lived in NYC at the time, and Kyle had roommates - he wasn't the only person there that night) and it is absolutely wild to me that calling 911 on a person threatening suicide in your apartment lobby when you refuse to let them in is being spun as "abuse." Please don't promote this. I am sure she believes she is telling the truth, and I am sure it was traumatic for her (hell, I've been committed for similar suicidal bullshit - it ain't fun), but she is wildly misrepresenting what happened.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Pirate Jenny posted:

and it is absolutely wild to me that calling 911 on a person threatening suicide in your apartment lobby when you refuse to let them in is being spun as "abuse." Please don't promote this. I am sure she believes she is telling the truth, and I am sure it was traumatic for her (hell, I've been committed for similar suicidal bullshit - it ain't fun), but she is wildly misrepresenting what happened.

I am glad someone who has knowledge of the events said this, because that is exactly what it sounded like. Her description reeks of "leaving out several salient details."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

said "no one wants to hear white male opinions" about wrinkle in time's failure and so net chuds took it upon themselves to attack her and whine constantly about her in order to protect the weak white race from mayocide.

tbf her saying that is pretty dumb, a wrinkle in time was my favorite book by far as a kid and i was super optimistic that the movie would be good. it was not, at all, either as a movie or (especially) as a representation of the source material.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

tbf her saying that is pretty dumb, a wrinkle in time was my favorite book by far as a kid and i was super optimistic that the movie would be good. it was not, at all, either as a movie or (especially) as a representation of the source material.

Not sure why you think anyone wants to hear your opinion on it, though. :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As far as what she actually does in Endgame, it's very little. She's not one of the main characters and she's absent for the bulk of the runtime.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

As far as what she actually does in Endgame, it's very little. She's not one of the main characters and she's absent for the bulk of the runtime.

This is because Endgame was written and shot before Captain Marvel so they didn't even know what the gently caress she was supposed to be as a character at the time beyond "supter strong, laser fists, punches Thanos a lot."

The opening 10 minutes of Endgame makes it abundantly clear that she could have solved Infinitey War in 2 seconds, so they had to come up with whatever bullshit excuse they could to bench her until the real climax.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Depends on who it is, what they did, and how long ago it was.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I forgot about that movie. I remember seeing People or Life had a special edition covering the movie, and I thought it was interesting Oprah was in it (since the last movie I remember her being in was 'The Butler') and then I never heard anything else about it.

I think the only other thing I thought was, "Didn't they make an animated version of that book?" Then I realized I was thinking of The Phantom Tollbooth.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

nine-gear crow posted:

This is because Endgame was written and shot before Captain Marvel so they didn't even know what the gently caress she was supposed to be as a character at the time beyond "supter strong, laser fists, punches Thanos a lot."

The opening 10 minutes of Endgame makes it abundantly clear that she could have solved Infinitey War in 2 seconds, so they had to come up with whatever bullshit excuse they could to bench her until the real climax.

Aside from that, Endgame is about ending ten years of buildup and you can't really do that by devoting too much screentime to the last-second newcomer over the characters you've watched for the past decade. She does what needs doing and gets some fantastic action against Thanos in the final showdown that really does show she would've stopped him clean the first time, but that's all she really could contribute without being to the detriment of a cast-driven movie. Especially one with a very large main cast that's fundamentally a capstone on the franchise thus far.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Everyone thinks they can beat Thanos until he instantly turns them into a pile of meat cubes. The only reason he doesn't utilize it more often is because he likes to fight. Hubris.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AngryBooch posted:

Everyone thinks they can beat Thanos until he instantly turns them into a pile of meat cubes. The only reason he doesn't utilize it more often is because he likes to fight. Hubris.

https://twitter.com/whmullally/status/1122933668228599808

i found this funny and it works with the character. thanos could actual solve problems and make the universe a utopia with infinite resources but he is death obsessed clown who thinks he is so great that only his dumb answer is the right one and it becomes his obsession. i like how that endgame addresses that too to an extent. like his answer to seeing that his plan doesn't result in Utopian wonderland is doubling down and saying "welp just leave no survivors and start competently anew than".

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 1, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/whmullally/status/1122933668228599808

i found this funny and it works with the character. thanos could actual solve problems and make the universe a utopia with infinite resources but he is death obsessed clown who thinks he is so great that only his dumb answer is the right one and it becomes his obsession. i like how that endgame addresses that too to an extent. like his answer to seeing that his plan doesn't result in Utopian wonderland is doubling down and saying "welp just leave no survivors and start competently anew than".

They did a good job of retconning Thanos from the generic conqueror hinted at early on into what he became for Infinity War. It helps shape some of the moments like realizing he really does love Gamora as his own daughter as he decides how badly he wants the Soul Stone. Balancing the Cosmic Scales isn't just a tyrant's means to Conquer The Universe, he legitimately thought it would make life better for the surviving half and the moment it was done he destroyed the stones so nobody could do anything worse with them. Or undo what he did. Or allow them to drift back into Phase 4+, come to think of it :v:.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Pirate Jenny posted:

I was really hoping this would not snowball - suffice to say there is a lot that she is leaving out. I and a lot of other people were there in 2014 and remember this incident (we all lived in NYC at the time, and Kyle had roommates - he wasn't the only person there that night) and it is absolutely wild to me that calling 911 on a person threatening suicide in your apartment lobby when you refuse to let them in is being spun as "abuse." Please don't promote this. I am sure she believes she is telling the truth, and I am sure it was traumatic for her (hell, I've been committed for similar suicidal bullshit - it ain't fun), but she is wildly misrepresenting what happened.

This forum is pretty much the only social media I'm most active on. That's why I came here when I saw this. Thank you, Jenny. I don't plan on repeating it any further.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They did a good job of retconning Thanos from the generic conqueror hinted at early on into what he became for Infinity War. It helps shape some of the moments like realizing he really does love Gamora as his own daughter as he decides how badly he wants the Soul Stone. Balancing the Cosmic Scales isn't just a tyrant's means to Conquer The Universe, he legitimately thought it would make life better for the surviving half
His underlying motivation is to prove that he was right. His first line in the film is about this("I know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right... yet to fail, nonetheless") and his egotism comes up again and again ("I'm the only one who knows that. At least, I'm the only one with the will to act on it.", "I ignored my destiny once. I cannot do that again.", "I finally rest... and watch the sun rise on a grateful universe. The hardest choices require the strongest wills."). He doesn't want to save the universe, he wants to be recognised as the savior of the universe. It's why he doesn't care that his plan doesn't work and why in Endgame he gets incredibly pissy at people trying to stop him and just decides to kill everyone and start again. It's all about him.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

If its someone this thread is not a huge fan of, they'd be burned to the absolute ground over this lol.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

If it were someone the thread weren't a fan of there would probably be something more substantial than the recounted single event in which the teller clearly suffers a mental health attack and authorities are contacted.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Already heard that one. I don't see eye-to-eye with people who say Miranda has no talent as a musician, but if someone were to argue that it doesn't matter because Hamilton is a cultural pollutant I wouldn't disagree.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m glad that Endgame is finally out so that we can finally move on from smug nerd takes about how the bad guy’s plan wouldn’t actually work to smug nerd takes about the mechanics of time travel

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 1, 2019

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I typically like Coffin's videos, but I'm hesitant to watch one critiquing media representation if it features a character with blue hair in the thumbnail.

Edit: I'm trying to watch it now. I'm someone who has passionate views about media representation and its limits, and this is one Coffin video where the skits and characters really are making it way less watchable.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 1, 2019

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Endgame being poorly written is not a good excuse , they hyped up Marvel as having a big role and all she amounted to was playing keep away.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 1, 2019

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

McCloud posted:

Endgame being poorly written is consistent with post phase 1 MCU

I mean it's hard to get good writing with the combo of strict deadlines and studio mandated crossover poo poo. Especially in the case of the event movies where you have an ensemble cast on top of that poo poo.

It's amazing they're as good as they are, honestly.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

McCloud posted:

Endgame being poorly written is not a good excuse , they hyped up Marvel as having a big role and all she amounted to was playing keep away.

Wasn't that because the Russo's weren't really keen on having her in the movie first place? I heard that floating around but it could just be bullshit for all I know.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
It's also the fact that this was an Avengers movie, not a Captain Marvel movie. Gotta give them the spotlight, not the newcomer.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It would be poor storytelling if the only reason the heroes failed in Infinity War was that Captain Marvel wasn't around. Endgame was the 22nd movie and she was only introduced in the 21st. Hopefully in future she'll beat up that planet-eater with the stupid helmet after appropriate buildup.

When it comes to future team-ups she'll have to be used in such a manner that she doesn't render every one else irrelevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

McCloud posted:

I mean the poor writing is the result, the “excuse” in this case would be that corporate wanted to push a new flagship character and since the two movies weren’t being made by the same people the writers of Infinity War had to write for a character that didn’t exist yet and avoid contradicting a movie that wasn’t out yet, without any clairvoyance to speak of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nightmind's last video was so goddamned dumb I think i'm done with his channel now.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It would be poor storytelling if the only reason the heroes failed in Infinity War was that Captain Marvel wasn't around. Endgame was the 22nd movie and she was only introduced in the 21st. Hopefully in future she'll beat up that planet-eater with the stupid helmet after appropriate buildup.

When it comes to future team-ups she'll have to be used in such a manner that she doesn't render every one else irrelevant.

It's impossible to have that work, sorry. Either you make them irrelevant or they solve the issue by themselves, because they're omnipowerful. You saw Captain Marvel gently caress off for almost all of Endgame because the writers didn't know what to do with her. Almost like Superman style characters are bad...