Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

roffels posted:

I've never picked up on this, could you give a good example?

Remember any movies where scene happened and it just stayed there until this frame with a burn-mark looking thing in the upper right hand corner came in? Then the audio and image jumped slightly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does anyone else remember Superbit DVDs?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The best use of the alternate angles feature I ever saw was Matthew Barney's Cremaster 3 DVD. It isn't the whole movie, which is something like 3 hours, but a 45 minute or so scene that was shot in the Guggenheim. You can use the angle switch at any time to visit the different floors of the museum to see the poo poo that's going on at the same time, so if you're watching Barney prance around in a goat costume on level 2 and want to see what's happening on level 4 you can change the angle and now you're there, watching a weird battle of the bands between Agnostic Front and Murphy's Law.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

FilthyImp posted:

Remember any movies where scene happened and it just stayed there until this frame with a burn-mark looking thing in the upper right hand corner came in? Then the audio and image jumped slightly?

Unfortunately not, though I'm more aware of the cigarette burns and reel changes from recent screenings of older films. Years of seeing films digitally projected or on Blu-ray and DVD have hidden this phenomenon.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Reading about that Guggenheim video makes me wonder if we missed a cool game opportunity with murder mystery like Night Trap.

But, yknow... Good.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Still disappointed that Barney shitcanned the commercial release of the Cremaster Cycle because collectors were up in arms after blowing tens of thousands of dollars for sculptures that came with the films related to the sculpture.

Gonna go throw my DVD in for fun. I forgot that they did the stuff with angles on that one.

Fun fact: I got into a fight with two drunk women talking through Cremaster 3, who were the only other two people in the theater who decided to sit right in front of my friend and I. Ruuuuuuude. I just stuck my head between their faces and joined in on the conversation until they moved.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Still disappointed that Barney shitcanned the commercial release of the Cremaster Cycle because collectors were up in arms after blowing tens of thousands of dollars for sculptures that came with the films related to the sculpture.

Gonna go throw my DVD in for fun. I forgot that they did the stuff with angles on that one.

Fun fact: I got into a fight with two drunk women talking through Cremaster 3, who were the only other two people in the theater who decided to sit right in front of my friend and I. Ruuuuuuude. I just stuck my head between their faces and joined in on the conversation until they moved.

All of this sounds like the ideal way to watch a Cremaster film.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Troma used the alt angle function to re-insert cut scenes for Terror Firmer. When it would come to the part in the movie where the scene was supposed to be, a prompt button popped up and if you hit enter while it was on screen, it would insert the cut scene into the part of the movie you were on.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 1, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone else remember Superbit DVDs?

For some reason when I was on a mission to buy Snatch, I could only find it in Superbit, so that is the only Superbit DVD I own.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was there anything different to superbits?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

They were totally barebones in order to dedicate the entire disc space to the film for maximum quality.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The only Superbit disc I owned was Lawrence of Arabia because it was the only one to be remastered in addition to a new encode. The original edition had some serious color timing issues in addition to massive edge enhancement. It was my go-to way of watching the film until the Blu-ray came out in 2012.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Was there anything different to superbits?

They eschewed special features in favor of cranking the bitrate. It wasn't worth it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I had the Leon the Professional one but it's been years since I've watched it. I've always wondered if the claims about superior quality were true. And I'd it even mattered because everyone still had CRT TVs back then. The discs sold poorly because they were more expensive and a big draw to DVD in the early days was the special features. Blu-ray killed off Superbit almost immediately.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was Adaptation superbit only? I have a superbit of Adaptation and I feel the only way I would have bought that is if I had no other choice.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

TheScott2K posted:

They eschewed special features in favor of cranking the bitrate. It wasn't worth it.

They had better sound though, and it was worth it. If you never watched special features, anyways.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

CPL593H posted:

Blu-ray killed off Superbit almost immediately.

Superbit came out 5 years before Blu-ray, and I'm pretty sure they were Sony exclusive DVDs. I remember being happy to get some decent DTS tracks at the time.

Want to talk archaic? How about what preceded Superbit - seperate releases for DTS-encoded discs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The best DVD innovation was the dumb timed-death disc that Disney wanted to produce as an alternative to rentals.

Buy a movie and a few days later the bottom turns black and enzymes render the data unreadable.

Weird how Redbox came out around that time and no one ever talked about it again.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My Superbit was Heavy Metal.

In terms of physical media, I continue to harp that home media will become more and more niche. Think about how long it’s taking for classic movies to reach the format, or movies that never made it to Blu-Ray (looking at you The Abyss and True Lies). But roffels brought something up: microcinemas! I discovered my local micro cinema just after X-Mas 2017. Like, I went there Dec 26th for a showing of Predator. I had never seen it and as I got into the HD era, I was aware of the issues the releases had, so I put it off for a possible good home release. Then I saw this showing pop up and wow. That’s the way to see a movie like that. 90 seats, sold out, and everyone is either a fresh face like me or pumped to see a movie they like.

Since then, I’ve probably gone to 40-50 movies on the conservative side. And that’s only because there were a few series that I skipped. My GF and I saw a bunch of Verhoeven last July, her first time for everything. My first time seeing Showgirls and Basic Instinct. It’s a great experience and they do a great job of curation. I saw a bunch of spaghetti westerns back in September, and westerns are a genre I thought I didn’t give a poo poo about.

Oh, and lots of 35mm prints! So I’ve gotten into noticing cigarette burns and reel changes as well.

I just wrapped up seeing The Hidden there tonight. It was part of an 80s dystopia series for April that included The Terminator, 1984, Videodrome, Repo Man, Brazil, They Live, Akira, The Brother from Another Planet, and Blade Runner. Despite owning most of them on home media, it was fun to take my GF to Videodrome, Repo Man, and They Live. We saw The Brother... for our first time and I saw Brazil for my first time. I’ve had Brazil on BD but just never sat down. Again, it’s awesome to experience a lot of these movies collectively.

What I’m saying is support your local micro cinema!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

roffels posted:

Superbit came out 5 years before Blu-ray, and I'm pretty sure they were Sony exclusive DVDs. I remember being happy to get some decent DTS tracks at the time.

Want to talk archaic? How about what preceded Superbit - seperate releases for DTS-encoded discs.

Superbit was older than that, I'm pretty sure I bought my copy of Snatch in 2003.

I have the complete set of Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex Second Gig in special edition, which came with exclusive DTS versions as well as the standard edition. They also came in proto steel book cases.

That was the extent of my anime phase.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Iron Crowned posted:

Superbit was older than that, I'm pretty sure I bought my copy of Snatch in 2003.

I have the complete set of Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex Second Gig in special edition, which came with exclusive DTS versions as well as the standard edition. They also came in proto steel book cases.

That was the extent of my anime phase.

BD dropped in 2006, so 2001 for Superbit.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
What's the deal with a DTS soundtrack being worth paying extra for? Was the quality noticeably better than DD 5.1? Or did a lot of receivers back then only support one or the other?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Monday_ posted:

What's the deal with a DTS soundtrack being worth paying extra for? Was the quality noticeably better than DD 5.1? Or did a lot of receivers back then only support one or the other?

Early DTS tracks were 1.5MBPS and dolby 5.1 were like 300-400k if I remember correctly. It's hard to say if the better sound on some of the early releases were from a better mix or the higher bitrate, but it sounded decent. In the early DVD days, a lot of receivers did not have DTS decoders.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Monday_ posted:

What's the deal with a DTS soundtrack being worth paying extra for?
Hell, DTS was an optional supported format for the 1st gen Blu Ray Players.

It's been like the nerd's alt format for a while I think.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

roffels posted:

I don't think I ever saw those. I do remember my Dawn of the Dead DVD having a Divimax logo on the cover because apparently that was another one of these things. I can't remember anything else boasting that feature.

Boywhiz88 posted:

That's a great lineup and also what the hell is a micro cinema?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Monday_ posted:

I'm guessing also licensing. Since you needed the right hardware, it might not have been worth it.

I also read that some people preferred laserdisc since DTS had a higher bitrate on the discs that had it.

Which were almost always separate releases.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is there a way to suggest stuff to the techmoan guy? I'd like to see him do one about Superbit DVDs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Any suggestions he seems to pick up from Youtube comments.
edit: Or someone mailing him something. Send a box of them to England.

I dunno if it'd make an interesting ep. I'm guessing he looks at a movie on super and standard encodes and just comes to the conclusion that he'd rather watch a bluray.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've never heard the term Micro Cinema, though the majority of non-chain/second-run theaters in Portland do weekly revival screenings.

A local theater just announced they're kicking off pride week with a 35mm screening of the first Resident Evil with a Milla Jovovich-themed drag show opener and I'm 1000% here for it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If only they did a release of Back to the Future on Superbit for him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm not sure what the technical definition of a micro cinema is nor how generally widespread they are, but in NYC they're little boutique theaters with ~50 seats and highly-curated programming, mostly cult film, trash cinema, art film, and genre revival. I volunteered at one for a minute which was always super strict about showing films legally and obtaining permissions, and they talked a lot of poo poo about another one down the road which didn't bother. So I'm not sure if that's generally a part of it or not.

CPL593H posted:

Is there a way to suggest stuff to the techmoan guy? I'd like to see him do one about Superbit DVDs.

Just saw this pop up on YouTube the other day. The presenter's a little obnoxious but the info is good.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 1, 2019

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Apparently we both support the same local micro cinema. I caught Brazil and Blade Runner, and wish I would have made it to more in the series.

caligulamprey posted:

I've never heard the term Micro Cinema, though the majority of non-chain/second-run theaters in Portland do weekly revival screenings.

It's literally a tiny theater. It has about 80 seats, and they alternate between showing old 35MM prints and digital presentations. It's mostly volunteer run - it's hard to know if it's financially viable, but if it ever shuts down, it will be a sad, sad affair.

roffels fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 1, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Would anyone here be interested in videos like this? I’ve been toying with doing that sort of style except for home media. Like whenever the UHD of Lawrence of Arabia comes out, do a piece on the various video editions over the years. Or just individual looks at overlooked releases.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I'd definitely like and subscribe to channel like that

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Totally down for that, yeah.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd subscribe. Could you do one about those shortened 8mm (16mm?) home versions of films before VHS? I've always been curious about those.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Yep, some sort of compendium of special features and differences between editions, without getting bogged down in tiny differences you can only notice with an $18,000 HT set up (DVD Beaver and Bluray.com, looking at you) would be rad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess maybe this is another thing on the pile for "will UHD survive as a format?" but these releases are getting very inconsistent. Stuff being listed on a certain release date, then just disappearing from Amazon/Best Buy's listings with no explanation as to what happened. Ridley Scott's Hannibal was supposed to be out yesterday and it's just not, no way to know what the reason is. This month we're supposed to get some releases I'm interested in but I'm starting to wonder if some of those will randomly disappear too, like Hellboy 2 or Backdraft.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I kinda doubt the Superbit difference is going to convey well in a YouTube stream unless you're zooming way in on screenshots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

For the Hannibal release, specifically:

Kino Insider on Blu-ray.com forum posted:

We had to change our replicators from Sony to Technicolor, Sony is no longer in the replication business. Technicolor packages titles all the titles with O-card and slipcases in Mexico (delay number 1). We had to setup a new AACS account, since this was our first 4K release (delay number 2). Authoring and replication took longer than we expected (delay number 3).

It should be delivered to everyone a week to ten days after street date. Maybe sooner.