Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Jake literally sets things up so a bunch of disabled kids can die as a distraction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tobias and Ax had the best books and that they had to share a line-up slot was a travesty

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Ax fuckin owned, from what I remember.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Twenty years later and every time I pass a Cinnabon I think of him

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Pop culture needs another show to give way too much attention to now that Game of Thrones is ending, and I'd like to move we reboot Animorphs for this purpose. I think it can shoulder that burden.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Twenty years later and every time I pass a Cinnabon I think of him

was that the one where they went to the movies with ax, and he called the candy "globules"

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Pop culture needs another show to give way too much attention to now that Game of Thrones is ending, and I'd like to move we reboot Animorphs for this purpose. I think it can shoulder that burden.

Give it the way too edgy/sexy Riverdale treatment, people will eat that poo poo up.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I think the Wheel of Time tv show is finally getting made. They'll probably just sex that up a lot more than what was in the books.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

rodbeard posted:

I think the Wheel of Time tv show is finally getting made. They'll probably just sex that up a lot more than what was in the books.

Amazon is doing it. To be fair while nothing too explicit happens in the books, the characters were all thirsty AF.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ambitious Spider posted:

Amazon is doing it. To be fair while nothing too explicit happens in the books, the characters were all thirsty AF.

Aside from most male characters having long soliloquies about female characters` breasts, and female characters having long soliloquies about their own and other female characters` breasts, there's also a lot of polygamy and BDSM going on there, as well. But yes, I don't remember sex itself ever being described there, and I will be thrice damned if I ever look it up to check.

If nothing else a TV series could be way better about pacing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Aside from most male characters having long soliloquies about female characters` breasts, and female characters having long soliloquies about their own and other female characters` breasts, there's also a lot of polygamy and BDSM going on there, as well. But yes, I don't remember sex itself ever being described there, and I will be thrice damned if I ever look it up to check.

One of the great lost treasures of Usenet is The Far Snows Dance, which describes a sex scene between two major characters by using the flowery names for sword fighting forms.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jedit posted:

One of the great lost treasures of Usenet is The Far Snows Dance, which describes a sex scene between two major characters by using the flowery names for sword fighting forms.

Cat Walks Across The Courtyard Into A Vagina.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jedit posted:

Sounds like Rothfuss.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sounds like Rothfuss.

It wasn't, it was a poster on the Robert Jordan newsgroup. I'm still in touch with a fair number of them, I may see if I can find out who it was.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

It wasn't, it was a poster on the Robert Jordan newsgroup. I'm still in touch with a fair number of them, I may see if I can find out who it was.

Yes but there was an online quiz after wise man fear that listed two choices of sex move or martial arts move using examples from the book.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Beachcomber posted:

I like Northern Exposure.

Oh, and the West Wing is pretty good.

Northern Exposure was fantastic. Its treatment of Natives wasn't perfect but to this day its one of the only shows to treat Natives as actual humans who have lives beyond their culture and religion instead of showing up as a guest star, getting angry at the protagonist for disrespecting their people or a sacred site or some tradition and then leaving, once the protagonist shows they aren't racist. Its one of the only shows to have Natives even show up.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Northern Exposure was fantastic. Its treatment of Natives wasn't perfect but to this day its one of the only shows to treat Natives as actual humans who have lives beyond their culture and religion instead of showing up as a guest star, getting angry at the protagonist for disrespecting their people or a sacred site or some tradition and then leaving, once the protagonist shows they aren't racist. Its one of the only shows to have Natives even show up.

I've admittedly only seen half of the first season so far, but 'Longmire' seemed really good about this too.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

I was watching the classic MST3K episodes on Netflix the other day and holy poo poo were the transphobic jokes flying fast and furious during ‘The Incredibly Strange Creatures who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies’. It’s a shame because other than that garbage I think it’s a pretty good episode and certainly a deserving movie.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

LOL if you dont think rothfuss is exactly the sort of person to post erotic WoT fanfic on usenet.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Promoted Pawn posted:

I was watching the classic MST3K episodes on Netflix the other day and holy poo poo were the transphobic jokes flying fast and furious during ‘The Incredibly Strange Creatures who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies’. It’s a shame because other than that garbage I think it’s a pretty good episode and certainly a deserving movie.

Yeah, I always think mst3k wasn’t that long ago, but man it has some ugly moments. Mr. B Natural is another one that had me sweating and cringing. I guess the other way to put it is that the culture has (in certain ways) improved in 20 years.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Yeah, I always think mst3k wasn’t that long ago, but man it has some ugly moments. Mr. B Natural is another one that had me sweating and cringing. I guess the other way to put it is that the culture has (in certain ways) improved in 20 years.

It's been a while since I've watched it, but I remember the riffs on Mr. B Natural being a lot more agreeable and goofy about it, rather than overtly mean-spirited like in TISCWSLABMUZ.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Think they are ashamed of that since so similar jokes over at RiffTrax got removed from later versions of the downloads

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

John Murdoch posted:

It's been a while since I've watched it, but I remember the riffs on Mr. B Natural being a lot more agreeable and goofy about it, rather than overtly mean-spirited like in TISCWSLABMUZ.

the argument in the host segment after that is pretty rough.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh, ouch. I'm used to watching just the short via compilations and such.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

They just keep calling Mr. B gay way, way more than I remembered. The jokes about a woman jumping around on a scared child’s bed are still funny simply because they notice something uncomfortable that would have been invisible in the 50s, but talking about Mr. B as a sexless man/woman creature or whatever betrays a total ignorance that is hard to imagine now.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
In college I tried to introduce a friend to MST3K by showing her the Manos episode, but forgot about the host segment where they discuss what physical deformities would make for a creepier monster than Torgo and Joel suggests having no nose. My friend was born with severe facial deformities and had had several painful attempts at construction surgery. We stopped the episode right there and I spent a lot of time alternately apologizing and listening. As far as I know she's never watched the show since and who could blame her.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Oh gently caress. I’ve had some awkward instances where I encourage somebody to watch something that contains X thing that’s uncomfortable in one way or another, but never anything that bad.

I’d have died of guilt.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

After my dog died, my friend showed me an episode of Louie where he did a stand up bit about putting his dog down and that dog not dying, coming back, only for him to put it back down again. And in the same or next episode he was watching a dog and it died or sorta died.

Anyway I hated Louie CK after that.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Anyway I hated Louie CK after that.

On the bright side, at least that prevented you from being disappointed by future developments. Maybe your friend is a time traveler?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rirse posted:

Think they are ashamed of that since so similar jokes over at RiffTrax got removed from later versions of the downloads

The film Laser Mission specifically where that got noticed, but they may have done it other places.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I guess the other way to put it is that the culture has (in certain ways) improved in 20 years.

Maybe it's the privilege talking, but the above is the way I usually prefer to look at it. Nearly everyone joked about that stuff back in the day because the culture encouraged it, and if you weren't specifically an activist or whatever, you just joined in that shared notion of what the acceptable targets are. But if they currently still do that stuff and/or complain about the PC Police holding them down, then it's time to get the knives out.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Sir Lemming posted:

Maybe it's the privilege talking, but the above is the way I usually prefer to look at it. Nearly everyone joked about that stuff back in the day because the culture encouraged it, and if you weren't specifically an activist or whatever, you just joined in that shared notion of what the acceptable targets are. But if they currently still do that stuff and/or complain about the PC Police holding them down, then it's time to get the knives out.

otoh all the homophobic and transphobic poo poo that was normal in the 80s and 90s made me hate myself for being a disgusting monster that everyone hates back then when i was a child and i don't like revisiting it now either

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't remember the specific episodes but the show Gilmore Girls has several examples of homophobia. And the added a gay character in the Year in the Life specials that almost feels like a gently caress you response to the criticism.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Its not just media. I can't remember the last time me or my friends used the word "human being" as an insult or joke after using it all through our teens and most of our 20s. Its not like it was something we made an effort to do, it just fell from our lexicon.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It feels weird to blame the creators for making poo poo jokes that we, as poo poo people, willingly sought out and consumed in large quantities. My current vocabulary doesn't include gay slurs, but boy howdy when I was younger. That's on me as much as it's on anyone making the stuff I was watching.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ulex minor posted:

why didn't the jewish wizards stop the nazis? or at least teleport everyone out of the concentration camps. i guess wizards are just generally assholes though so it makes sense

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

I don't remember the specific episodes but the show Gilmore Girls has several examples of homophobia. And the added a gay character in the Year in the Life specials that almost feels like a gently caress you response to the criticism.

You do know Michel was gay from like episode 1 right? Like sure it’s not perfect but they didn’t just add one out of nowhere.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I bet Hitler having the Spear of Destiny is a thing in the harry potter world.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Wizards didn't get involved in WWII because BJ Blazkowicz already killed Cyborg Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
The new episode of the Bill Corbett podcasts talks about how they regret alot of the jokes from the previous MST3ks and stuff and pretty much vowed to not do that again.

Though of all the older comedy media like that MST3k steps in it relatively the least. I should go back and rewatch Comedy Central Presents.