Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/12756-Meet-The-XiAn

Man, I'm not normally the guy to pull out the "your art is racist" card, but god drat. They're the complete Inscrutable Easterners package including loving calligraphy that looks like an idiot american doing fake chinese characters. Stop making real human cultures into aliens, it's more than a bit racist plus it shows that you have complete poo poo for imagination.

What's next, is the traditional music of the Vanduul going to be a form of aggressive spoken-word rhyme and drumming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Klyith posted:

...is the traditional music of the Vanduul going to be a form of aggressive spoken-word rhyme and drumming?

Yes.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Klyith posted:

What's next, is the traditional music of the Vanduul going to be a form of aggressive spoken-word rhyme and drumming?

* wallet opening intensifies *

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure some of those are just straight up Chinese characters too.

Edit: imagine buying some dudes Chinese character fanfic. I bet you can get someone with actual talent to make some chinese calligraphy for whatever that guy charges and it'd somehow be less nerdy

Sankis fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 29, 2019

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Sankis posted:

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure some of those are just straight up Chinese characters too.

Edit: imagine buying some dudes Chinese character fanfic. I bet you can get someone with actual talent to make some chinese calligraphy for whatever that guy charges and it'd somehow be less nerdy

that second one on the bottom looks the closest to being anything like chinese , but it's badly mangled. i think it's imaginary space asian. and yeah chinese calligraphy is good and not pathetic, while this is bad and pathetic

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Iirc, they hired a linguist to develop their fake alien language. Another goon further back itt detailed how it's sort of easy to do from a game development perspective, and it's the one thing that sc didn't totally gently caress up.

...but now it looks like that ray of sunshine for them is gone as well.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Klyith posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/12756-Meet-The-XiAn

Man, I'm not normally the guy to pull out the "your art is racist" card, but god drat. They're the complete Inscrutable Easterners package including loving calligraphy that looks like an idiot american doing fake chinese characters. Stop making real human cultures into aliens, it's more than a bit racist plus it shows that you have complete poo poo for imagination.

Holy poo poo lol. That name is so blatant

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

It's called fidelity.
:smugbert:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

That racist art is one of the best things you'll ever experience in your life ever

And I mean LIFE

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
nice game, good job

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Of course the real reason they have aliens with chinese writing is that Firefly had chinese words and writing as flavor, and star citizen is biting Firefly's style so hard they've developed TMJ.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
It's pretty great that they stole one of the worst-aging aspects of Firefly.

I can't think of any Firefly fans that aren't at least embarrassed about the Chinese thing. Let alone people who don't love the show automatically.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hello, please don't forget about the honorbound hyper-nationalist bird samurai military

quote:

Originally the Tevarin followed Rijora (/REE-jorr-ah/), a warrior-code similar to Bushidō on ancient Earth. The Tevarin believed in honor, fealty and duty above all else. Breaking their strict code meant excommunication or even execution in extreme cases.

After their defeat in the first war and the loss of their homeworld, the code began to lose popularity. The Second Tevarin War was an attempt to reclaim Tevarin’s previous glory. When it failed miserably, the last believers of Rijora flung themselves toward Kaleeth, burning up in the atmosphere and crashing into the planet. The few survivors of the race abandoned their beliefs for good. This climactic period was known among the Tevarin as the Purge, during which time most of the Tevarin destroyed their Codices (the holy writ of Rijora).

In 2947 the Tevarin Preservation Society began to revive the practices of Rijora with the first Lioraj ceremony taking place in the Temple of Rijora in Gemma on Jalan (former Kaleeth) since the Purge of 2610. The ceremony was based upon Codices found on Kabal III by the society. This has stirred controversy within both Tervarin and Human society.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The thing is, just look at any Avengers movies or whatever. People are now fully conditioned to gobble up this super generic, easily digestable, concept artist's demo reel crap.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

people like generic and easily understandable sci-fi/fantasy because then they don't have to learn a whole bunch of nerd poo poo that has no real-world relevance

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Beet Wagon posted:

Hello, please don't forget about the honorbound hyper-nationalist bird samurai military

Meaningless gibberish. Jesus Christ. There are adults who eat this up and think of it as good writing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Look at these totally cool star citizen characters you'll be able to play as.

These images are years old, so surely by now we can play as a sexy, part android, bounty hunter of the stars now? Right?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

second one is pretty cool tbh

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:getin:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

lol that they straight up said "this is bushido"

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Oh, come on, it can't be that blatant, maybe they're-

quote:

The Xi’An Empire located along the border of the Eastern Systems

What the gently caress, their "Space" is laid out like a generic fantasy map??

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I mean did you play Freelancer? Every starport was called like “Neo Britain” and poo poo. This is just Freelancer 2 because Chris Roberts has never had an original thought in his life

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
*Flies towards the galactic north*

*Turns up the thermostat, burr, it's cold up here!*

*Dodges white, furry space worms, a stark contrast to the regular space worms you get further south*

*Scanners detect incoming Space Vikings, red alert!*

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

only part of our planet is asian, but their entire planet is asian? by god, they're so much more asian than us

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Razorwired posted:

It's pretty great that they stole one of the worst-aging aspects of Firefly.

I can't think of any Firefly fans that aren't at least embarrassed about the Chinese thing. Let alone people who don't love the show automatically.

Embarrassed by what part though? Actors occasionally mumbling chinese phrases I'm sure are butchered to hell is pretty silly, and it seems more likely there'd be a blended language anyway, oh and basically nobody in the show was ever chinese and hmmm some other kind of embarrassing things like that... okay so I answered my own question. Still, including China as a future superpower alongside cowboy USAurope hasn't aged poorly as a concept. China is big right now, they've kind of been a big deal since old times it'd be weird to be in spae without them

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

spacetoaster posted:

Look at these totally cool star citizen characters you'll be able to play as.

These images are years old, so surely by now we can play as a sexy, part android, bounty hunter of the stars now? Right?

This is impressive, given that female characters were just implemented last week.

:frogsiren:CONTENT OVERLOAD:frogsiren:

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

time to star ramming!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Anyone wanna meet up in game and bunny hop around the main areas?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rad-daddio posted:

Anyone wanna meet up in game and bunny hop around the main areas?

You a J4G or something? Goons need to "rub".

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

5 playable (yet buggy) ships since 2011 is pretty impressive going, that’s a rate of about 1.5 years per ship being shat out.

According to the wiki there are over 100 ships, so I’m glad release got moved forward to 2170.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Khanstant posted:

Embarrassed by what part though? Actors occasionally mumbling chinese phrases I'm sure are butchered to hell is pretty silly, and it seems more likely there'd be a blended language anyway, oh and basically nobody in the show was ever chinese and hmmm some other kind of embarrassing things like that... okay so I answered my own question. Still, including China as a future superpower alongside cowboy USAurope hasn't aged poorly as a concept. China is big right now, they've kind of been a big deal since old times it'd be weird to be in spae without them

More that they had little no actual Asian actors.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I thought the same thing. Like... East according to who and where? Ohhhh.... you just want to make sure everyone knows they are Asian so fat anime loving weeaboos have something to jerk off to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

To be honest all space games do that though, because making a 3D map is a colossal pain in the everything

About the only exception I can think of is Subnautica of course and there's probably a reason why that doesn't have a map by default.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To be honest all space games do that though, because making a 3D map is a colossal pain in the everything

About the only exception I can think of is Subnautica of course and there's probably a reason why that doesn't have a map by default.

Elite Dangerous is a space game with a full 3d map of the galaxy. Tale of two studios marching to different drums right there.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Isn't that basically what goons are to the remaining SC backers?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Stellaris also has a 3D-ish galaxy map. It can be confusing sometimes when the camera angle ends up with two systems overlapping, but it's usually fine.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

*Flies towards the galactic north*

*Turns up the thermostat, burr, it's cold up here!*

*Dodges white, furry space worms, a stark contrast to the regular space worms you get further south*

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Laying out the galaxy so there's a galactic north/south/east/west is fine. That part's fine. But I am not really sure all space games put Magical Space-Asia in the East part of Space. Is the West the newly discovered Wild Frontier?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Definitely worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Dementropy posted:

Definitely worth reading.

Holy poo poo, how has no one mentioned this little tid-bit:

quote:

On a summer Saturday in 2007, a trespasser slipped by a security gate and entered Chris Roberts’ L.A. home. Inside, Madison Peterson, Roberts’ former common-law wife, with whom he had a long on-and-off relationship, was startled and feared her young daughter could be harmed or kidnapped. Peterson later identified the trespasser as Sandi Gardiner, who is now Roberts’ wife (for the second time) and a cofounder of Cloud Imperium. Roberts reported the incident to police, and a California judge issued a temporary restraining order that required Gardiner to stay 100 yards away from Peterson, who claimed in her temporary restraining order application that Gardiner had been stalking and threatening both her and her daughter for nearly three years.

“Ms. Gardiner has an unnatural and irrational fascination with my daughter and me,” Peterson wrote. “I constantly and continually look to make sure my daughter and I are not watched.”

In a court-filed declaration he signed at the time, Roberts said Gardiner had also visited Peterson’s San Diego home and once became violent and tried to strangle him. “I believed that if she had a gun she would have killed me,” Roberts said in the declaration. “I believe that Ms. Gardiner is not emotionally stable.” After three months, the restraining order was dissolved. Today, Roberts says he cannot recall signing the declaration and that what is ascribed to him in the court filings was prepared by Peterson and false. Despite the documentation, Gardiner flatly denies the incidents took place.

SHES loving CRAZY!!!!!!!