Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also that bummed me out, I liked that guy! Was glad to see him in The Hurricane Heist.

He starred in an action movie called The Veteran that I think helped him get on people's radar. He also apparently played the mentally challenged brother of the main character in the very very underrated Dead Man's Shoes.

He also played/voiced Koba in the Planet of the Apes films, which I did not know until I looked him up just now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Also that bummed me out, I liked that guy! Was glad to see him in The Hurricane Heist.

Hell yeah. That's Koba from the Planet of the Apes movies.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

What’s bad about it

Basebf555 posted:

The easiest way to improve Skull Island would be to completely eliminate that sideplot with the southern dude who writes to his wife or whatever back home and then they find his dog tags later. None of it lands and there had to be a more efficient way to show that Jackson's character was going full-Kurtz than that.

That didn't land for me in the theater at all, but played better at home.

As for being bad, it's not really something I can recommend as good. It wears it's influences on it's sleeve, the needle drops are too on the nose, I personally didn't like how the Skull Crawlers were introduced on screen in a weird cutaway as Riley is narrating. Like the director (or studio? editor?) doesn't trust the audience enough.

Larson and Hiddleston also may not work for you.

That's why I say it's bad. I love it, and can recommended it to others predisposed to liking this kind of stuff, but I can't say it's not flawed. So: Great bad movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I have a very good friend who thinks Blade Runner is a boring film and he doesn't like it. In fact, lots of people have problems with it. Despite it's lionized status it's not a good film for most "normal" people. I would never describe it as a good bad film.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

I have a very good friend who thinks Blade Runner is a boring film and he doesn't like it. In fact, lots of people have problems with it. Despite it's lionized status it's not a good film for most "normal" people. I would never describe it as a good bad film.

Great, now I want a cut of Skull Island that Reilly's character narrates as a hard-boiled detective.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Its a film that has the antagonist as the POV, and its more concerned with mood than plot. So yeah, weird film. Br2049 is more straightforward

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

My point was that Failson seems to base his "good bad" decision, in this case, on what some imaginary audience would find interesting or bad about a movie.

I would politely ask him to reconsider. There really is no average movie-goer. My dad loved Blade Runner, introduced me to it when I was young, and we discussed it for hours. His favorite movie of last year was "Date Night". People are complicated.

Maybe I misunderstood his point, tho. If so I apologize.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

My point was that Failson seems to base his "good bad" decision, in this case, on what some imaginary audience would find interesting or bad about a movie.

I would politely ask him to reconsider. There really is no average movie-goer. My dad loved Blade Runner, introduced me to it when I was young, and we discussed it for hours. His favorite movie of last year was "Date Night". People are complicated.

Every time someone tries to explain good-bad, it comes down to them being ashamed of their own taste

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Failson posted:

Great, now I want a cut of Skull Island that Reilly's character narrates as a hard-boiled detective.
You ain't kaiju, you're little people.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

No need to apologize, I was poorly contextualizing my thoughts.

DeimosRising posted:

Every time someone tries to explain good-bad, it comes down to them being ashamed of their own taste

I am constantly ashamed of everything about myself, so... Yes, I'll cop to that.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Failson posted:

No need to apologize, I was poorly contextualizing my thoughts.

I am constantly ashamed of everything about myself, so... Yes, I'll cop to that.

Be strong, comrade. That movie whips

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

DeimosRising posted:

Unfortunately, the things that drag down good-bad movies are actual mistakes. Like, Bronx Warriors 2: Escape from the Bronx would be an all-time classic if it didn't drag in the middle, which makes me reticent to show it to friends. I want to like Underworld but it's just edited like poo poo. There's already a Blade movie with great action but a stupid convoluted plot; it's called Blade 2.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Blade 2's plot is really straightforward, I think. It's still not as good as Blade tho.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blade 2's plot is really straightforward, I think. It's still not as good as Blade tho.

Two types of vampire is one too many for a lot of people to accept, I think is probably the issue there. Just all of the sudden here's some new type of vampire that feeds on other vampires, kinda ridiculous.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The resolution to the bomb in Reinhardt's skull (it's a bomb / it's a dud / it's a bomb) is pretty stupid, and there's some wonkiness (Nomak doesn't react to sunlight in the cathedral fight, there's no consistency in how long it takes for someone to turn--Priest goes in like five minutes, Lighthammer takes hours).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Halloween Jack posted:

Unfortunately, the things that drag down good-bad movies are actual mistakes. Like, Bronx Warriors 2: Escape from the Bronx would be an all-time classic if it didn't drag in the middle, which makes me reticent to show it to friends. I want to like Underworld but it's just edited like poo poo. There's already a Blade movie with great action but a stupid convoluted plot; it's called Blade 2.

You’re just describing a movie with problems. That’s like...every movie, you don’t have to invent concepts to express the idea that something ain’t perfect

Underworld, for example, is just bad. You just said you don’t even like it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Some of the action in Blade 2 is wonky too, though. I remember there being several CGI fights when the tech just wasn’t ready for it. I especially remember one fight in front of a wall of spot lights where Blade and whoever he was fighting both looked like they were made of rubber bands.

Plenty of good action, sure. But the CGI fights looked terrible at the time and have only aged into looking worse.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Are Blood Father or Edge of Darkness worth seeing? Kind of in the mood for gritty Mel Gibson.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Some of the action in Blade 2 is wonky too, though. I remember there being several CGI fights when the tech just wasn’t ready for it. I especially remember one fight in front of a wall of spot lights where Blade and whoever he was fighting both looked like they were made of rubber bands.

Plenty of good action, sure. But the CGI fights looked terrible at the time and have only aged into looking worse.

Yeah, but that CGI fight gave us the commentary track where GDT just shits all over it for the duration of the fight.

Narzack posted:

Are Blood Father or Edge of Darkness worth seeing? Kind of in the mood for gritty Mel Gibson.

Edge of Darkness is way too loving long and nothing happens for huge chunks of its length. It's also almost self consciously bleak. Blood Father is fine, but with a lot of clunky dialogue to show that, sure, he hangs out with nazis, but he's not racist.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 25, 2019

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I think a large part of the conflict in BF was that he was a racist before he went to prison

Edit: I enjoyed Edge Of Darkness fine as a cop suspense flick, need to watch the original sometime... You could also watch Get the Gringo, but I really don't remember it being heavy on action at all

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

brocked posted:

I think a large part of the conflict in BF was that he was a racist before he went to prison

Edit: I enjoyed Edge Of Darkness fine as a cop suspense flick, need to watch the original sometime... You could also watch Get the Gringo, but I really don't remember it being heavy on action at all

I remember really liking Get the Gringo, despite expecting to/planning to hate it based solely on Mel Gibson. So it must be really good.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

brocked posted:

You may be right, it was just kind of clunkily done. There were a lot of moments in it that were oddly verbose for what was going on.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

no one was glad to see anyone in the Hurricane Heist

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

DeimosRising posted:

Underworld, for example, is just bad. You just said you don’t even like it

Is there even a good Underworld movie?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Schneider Heim posted:

Isn't the third one supposed to actually be decent. I still haven't seen it because whoo boy those first two...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schneider Heim posted:

Blood Wars is a legit good-bad movie. It's incompetently made, but so gleefully absurd that it's hard not to enjoy.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

There is only a good underwold story, and I believe that is in underworld 2 when the young handsome white man is supposed to film a sex scene with Kate Beckinsale, only he couldn't keep himself from getting a stiffy, so he had to tape his goods to the side of his leg.

That actually sounds quite mortifying for everyone involved.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

There is only a good underwold story, and I believe that is in underworld 2 when the young handsome white man is supposed to film a sex scene with Kate Beckinsale, only he couldn't keep himself from getting a stiffy, so he had to tape his goods to the side of his leg.

That young man was Scott Speedman, who they couldn't get back for the fourth one.

Scott Speedman was too good for Underworld 4.

While I'm getting far too excited about John Wick 3, especially the scene with the SWAT team, it seems like visible armour in films rarely, if ever, does anything. It seems like body armour worn under clothes, no matter how thin, will do a lot more than a full body armour suit. I'm keen to see what JW3 does with that idea, with him having to shoot the enemies dozens of times.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Usually a stiffy would help with a sex scene...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

While I'm getting far too excited about John Wick 3, especially the scene with the SWAT team, it seems like visible armour in films rarely, if ever, does anything. It seems like body armour worn under clothes, no matter how thin, will do a lot more than a full body armour suit. I'm keen to see what JW3 does with that idea, with him having to shoot the enemies dozens of times.

I was having a hard time keeping my John Wick 3 hype in check so I did a Letterboxed list yesterday: https://www.letterboxd.com/basebf555/list/15-movies-to-watch-before-john-wick-chapter/

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Huh, if this surprised me I guess I must have always assumed they just went with it if it happened.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

And the director of the movie was Kate's husband. Just Bad poo poo For Everyone.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Snowman_McK posted:

While I'm getting far too excited about John Wick 3, especially the scene with the SWAT team, it seems like visible armour in films rarely, if ever, does anything.
This was a big late 90s/early 00s cliche. It's especially egregious when the hero is armed with a pistol or SMG in 9mm and they're wiping out squads of goons in SWAT gear. The Resident Evil series leaned into it pretty hard.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I was having a hard time keeping my John Wick 3 hype in check so I did a Letterboxed list yesterday: https://www.letterboxd.com/basebf555/list/15-movies-to-watch-before-john-wick-chapter/

I'm pleased that I've already seen all of these. I'd throw some Susuki Seijun movies on there, like Branded to Kill or Tokyo Drifter, both of which have that stage-like hyper reality that the Wick films often use.

Halloween Jack posted:

This was a big late 90s/early 00s cliche. It's especially egregious when the hero is armed with a pistol or SMG in 9mm and they're wiping out squads of goons in SWAT gear. The Resident Evil series leaned into it pretty hard.

It's in Medieval films, too. In Lord of the Rings, they spent ages establishing that the Uruk Hai are seriously heavily armoured, and they're chopped down like chaff. It was cool how, in the early seasons of Game of Thrones, people in armour only went down if you hit the weak points of the exposed throat. It's another thing they abandoned.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Watching the season premiere, I couldn't help but notice how no one wears a helmet under any circumstances anymore. There's one shot of the Unsullied guy grimly putting his helmet on in preparation for battle.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm pleased that I've already seen all of these. I'd throw some Susuki Seijun movies on there, like Branded to Kill or Tokyo Drifter, both of which have that stage-like hyper reality that the Wick films often use.

Tokyo Drifter is on the list actually, loved that movie.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

thrawn527 posted:

This is where I apologize to everyone in the world who told me to watch Kong: Skull Island whom I ignored. I watched it this weekend, and I feel shame for not having seen it in the theater. Jesus, this movie is so good. I was hooked from the first moment of the movie, but around the 30 minute mark I fell absolutely in love. Where the somewhat realistic feeling Vietnam War era military movie changes in the blink of an eye with a tree through a helicopter. I lost track of the amount of times I yelled out, “Holy poo poo, this movie!” while laughing. Perfect balance of brutal action and comedy. We, as a people, do not deserve a King Kong movie this good. It rules.

It is So. drat. Good.

"That was an unconventional encounter."

I kept forgetting this movie existed and like yourself watched it last week. It was fantastic. Also I was totally not expecting the post-credits scene!! :aaaaa:

Also unrelated question for the action movie thread, have any of you watched any oldschool John Woo recently? How does it hold up? I remember Hard Boiled being the loving tits back in the 90s when I was in my teens but I haven't revisited for a long time. I just remember the stuff in it inspiring a LOT of action scenes in virtually every other film that followed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

John Woo suffers a bit from William Gibson Syndrome in that his brilliant original stuff seems less good because it so thoroughly got copied into the zeitgeist. It holds up tho. Hard Boiled, especially, has a ferocious intensity and action-framing that will simply never be anything less than amazing.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

He starred in an action movie called The Veteran that I think helped him get on people's radar. He also apparently played the mentally challenged brother of the main character in the very very underrated Dead Man's Shoes.

He also played/voiced Koba in the Planet of the Apes films, which I did not know until I looked him up just now!

Up until the last sequence, The Veteran is a super forgettable espionage film. The last 10-15 minutes is by far one of the best action sequences I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Combatace posted:

Up until the last sequence, The Veteran is a super forgettable espionage film. The last 10-15 minutes is by far one of the best action sequences I've ever seen.

Yea I didn't want to offer an opinion on it because I saw the scene you're talking about on youtube but never actually watched the movie.