Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

radmonger posted:

The same is true of the ‘space travel’ in many films. The standard established rules are that if you get on a train, you end up in a different city, if you go by car you end up in the same city. There is no such thing as a suburban rail line, and if there were that would only confuse the viewer.

Obviously, a married man who has sex with something who lives in a different city is a rapist, or at least adulterous; legally married couples live at the same address. Unless your whole film is about the special circumstances that break those rules, keep things simple.

Now imagine a film where Captain Canada is shown leaving by train, but returning by car. That is confused and incoherent filmmaking because it makes it unclear if the hero is a rapist.

Do you think Invasion of the Body Snatchers has a happy ending too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is not nearly as silly a mental image as captain america sneaking into jane's room and like, injecting her with a needle full of Aether

Holy poo poo that it literally what he has to do isn't it?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Neo Rasa posted:

Agreed, we'll see them when Captain Aerica: Serpent Society comes out.

Seeing this made me think I still had the Millenials to Snake People extension on still.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mulderman posted:

Excuse me, Jane Foster?

Hi, you may know me, I'm Captain America. I need to give you a hot injection.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

skooma512 posted:

Seeing this made me think I still had the Millenials to Snake People extension on still.

Greetings fellow SJW (Skeletal Jazz Warrior).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

LinYutang posted:

Really loved this. The movie breathed a lot better than Infinity War and felt less tiring while having a longer runtime, which was impressive. The quips didn't pull me out of the scene, especially when they came from Captain America, showing how he had grown from the goody-goody of his origin movie. America's rear end lmao

You're confusing "character growth" with "having a writer who isn't a dogshit-brained idiot" easy mistake.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mulderman posted:

I like that both in and out of universe it feels like they picked rocket to go to that stone because they knew it made no logical sense on how he was going to get the stone but knew that rocket and thor would come up with some cartoony nonsense and it'd be fine. Like there was never any question he could just pull it out with the random needle he had with him. Of course he can.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Do you think Invasion of the Body Snatchers has a happy ending too?

On the contrary, it is impossible for any film to have a happy ending. The protagonist could always have been replaced by an evil clone offscreen in a way that left no visible sign.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This has honestly got to be the dumbest sci-fi film of all time. Like what else even comes close?
Galaxy of Terror?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mulderman posted:

i mean he could just use the reality stone to put all the other stones back, then use it to put itself back

no tesseract cube? reality stone puts the space stone in the cube
no metal sphere for the power stone? reality stone makes one and un-knocks out quill
soul stone needs to go back to... whereever it was? reality stone puts it there
aether needs to go in Jane? reality stone turns itself into a cloud and goes back into Jane

there u go fanfic solved, the captain america puts back the stones movie is short and boring

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dren posted:

i mean he could just use the reality stone to put all the other stones back, then use it to put itself back

no tesseract cube? reality stone puts the space stone in the cube
no metal sphere for the power stone? reality stone makes one and un-knocks out quill
soul stone needs to go back to... whereever it was? reality stone puts it there
aether needs to go in Jane? reality stone turns itself into a cloud and goes back into Jane

there u go fanfic solved, the captain america puts back the stones movie is short and boring

He also has shrinking tech and flight (from Rocket or Iron Man's tech)

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I love how "Poochied", a reference from a 25 year old Simpson's episode, is a term used in todays pop culture. Its wonderful.

I have to go now. Other planets need me.

Note: Capt Marvel got a new haircut on the way to another planet

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I like that both in and out of universe it feels like they picked rocket to go to that stone because they knew it made no logical sense on how he was going to get the stone but knew that rocket and thor would come up with some cartoony nonsense and it'd be fine. Like there was never any question he could just pull it out with the random needle he had with him. Of course he can.

It's great because the whole plot of Thor: Dark World was that she was infected with this essence that was slowly killing her and apparently the solution was just to suck it out with a syringe! Hopefully Cap is aware that it doesn't need to go back into poor Jane and he could probably hand it off to alt-Thor or alt-Odin or someone.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hobo Clown posted:

It's great because the whole plot of Thor: Dark World was that she was infected with this essence that was slowly killing her and apparently the solution was just to suck it out with a syringe! Hopefully Cap is aware that it doesn't need to go back into poor Jane and he could probably hand it off to alt-Thor or alt-Odin or someone.

Hey to be fair it's a space syringe

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Hey to be fair it's a space syringe

I'm surprised they resisted the urge to give Fat Thor a line like "Huh, wish we'd had one of these back then. Would've saved everyone a lot of grief."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hobo Clown posted:

Are we still doing spoiler tags for Thor: Dark World?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

AlternateAccount posted:

You're confusing "character growth" with "having a writer who isn't a dogshit-brained idiot" easy mistake.

Hey, Death of the Dogshit-brained Author.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are we still doing spoiler tags for Thor: Dark World?

If the context in which it's being talked about spoils the events of End Game, sure.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I guess a three hour slog for a loving TIME TRAVEL?! adventure perfectly punctuates years of build-up. ugh.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Rainbow Knight posted:

I guess a three hour slog for a loving TIME TRAVEL?! adventure perfectly punctuates years of build-up. ugh.

Yes, yes it does.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Secht posted:

Yes, yes it does.

It’s the most Comic Book possible ending.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

Galaxy of Terror?

Galaxy Of Terror is totally sensible; it’s just a Forbidden Planet / Solaris narrative that effectively takes place inside a videogame (specifically some kind of “utility fog” simulacrum). Lots of weird stuff happens, but there’s no real confusion as to how or why.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think it's important to remember that we really have no idea what Cap did, there are many possibilities and it may never be an issue that's even explored again. Or maybe it will, and we'll eventually find out more specifics about what he was up to all those years. Point is, Cap declined to elaborate for a reason, it's a story for another day.

But if that’s the case, it points to the ultimate failure of Endgame: you have no idea what happened. The movie is incomplete. There’s no good ambiguity at the end (as in Oblivion, where it’s unclear what’ll happen next but the ending itself is unambiguously hosed up). “Did the hero commit rape?” isn’t a great thing to be obscure about.

The simplest interpretation is that Steve stepped into the B universe and said “Peggy, I survived, and I‘ve come back in time to be with you.” But it’s already been thoroughly established that Steve A fully understands the differences between universes, which makes his actions ethically hosed.

Consequently, people have shifted into these increasingly complex explanations, up to and including the breakdown of the universe and of language itself. (“maybe there’s no such thing as causality” / “it’s impossible to ever understand, to ever truly ‘know’ anything.”) And, like, sorry, but they just hosed up.

(Although it is unintentionally well-foreshadowed by the rape joke in Ultron.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If your tomorrow self has sex with your tomorrow girlfriend, it's not interdimensional quantum rape because you both had a relationship yesterday.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's actually more hosed up, not that Steve isn't the Steve Peggy knew, but that she's not the one he knew. That one died in 2016.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

wdarkk posted:

It’s the most Comic Book possible ending.

They should've went balls out with it and have Thanos go back in time to all the previous movies and round up all the villains for the final battle too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Would you suck your own dick if you went back in time?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Huh, it turns out that Tony Stark funeral scene wasn't digitally composited after all. They really did get all the actors in the same place at once.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

There was a show on HBO that was a sci-fi version of Tales from the Crypt called Perversions of Science that totally dealt with this scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=264gNr8w-98

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

YaketySass posted:

It's actually more hosed up, not that Steve isn't the Steve Peggy knew, but that she's not the one he knew. That one died in 2016.

They're the same person

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vintersorg posted:

You mean, would I rape myself?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

JBP posted:

They're the same person

Peggy A died in 2016.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Peggy A died in 2016.

Peggy in the past has the same experience and personality. She's the same person Steve knew and he's the same person she knew, just physically older. You can keep up the a and b stuff and say they're different, but they're not different. They're not clones either, they are who they are.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Let's take this shitposting to ludicrous speed.

Let's say all those people who died on 9/11. Is it ethical for someone to go back in time, grab all of them, bring them to 2019 the moments before the planes struck?

Avengers presents a no death future with time travel. Just keep bringing people forward in time. Therefore the Avengers are evil for not bringing all those in world history that died unjustly to the future from all timelines.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Would movies like Endgame do better if the characters postulated what time travel might entail instead of laying out "laws of time travel" as absolute fact? That way, any ambiguity can be chalked up to the protagonists' (and the writers') ignorance on the subject. Would it have hurt the story if Professor Hulk or The Ancient One disagreed on how time travel works (closed loop versus open loop) and then the cast deciding that doing something was better than nothing?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
You'd still have people trying to "figure it out" instead of just accepting what the movie is showing you.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Would movies like Endgame do better if the characters postulated what time travel might entail instead of laying out "laws of time travel" as absolute fact? That way, any ambiguity can be chalked up to the protagonists' (and the writers') ignorance on the subject. Would it have hurt the story if Professor Hulk or The Ancient One disagreed on how time travel works (closed loop versus open loop) and then the cast deciding that doing something was better than nothing?

Yes, honestly.

The problem with Avengers Endgame isn’t even that it gets time travel wrong, it’s that it sets up all of its own rules for time travel and then breaks them all. And in some areas, if it doesn’t, then it leaves some horrific implications.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

JBP posted:

Peggy in the past has the same experience and personality. She's the same person Steve knew and he's the same person she knew, just physically older. You can keep up the a and b stuff and say they're different, but they're not different. They're not clones either, they are who they are.

One definitely has memories that the other doesn't (because they haven't happened for them), so they aren't mentally the same person.

Hell, the human body sheds and regrows cells all throughout your life, so they aren't even physically the same person.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Perhaps if the writers could agree between themselves on how time travel works, they wouldn't need to have Hulk and the Ancient One disagree.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Away all Goats posted:

You mean, would I rape myself?
That would be impossible because Universe-C version of you is not you so more it's a question of is sexing your clone rape and can your clone consent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

JBP posted:

There’s an easy test of whether you are being deceitful: have a character kill their past self. If they survive, then they are a different person.