Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salgal80
Jan 28, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
In with “A+ Anyang”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.

sebmojo posted:

In, give me a slogan. Also will do crits for my week by friday 2359 pst. :toxx:

That's most noble of you, 'mojo, but isn't there another set you owe?

sebmojo posted:

and since i failed as well, here's a :toxx: to crit every story in each week that I fail in

sebmojo posted:

In for Week 347, except not really because I am a fail lord.

I will forget this toxx when I forget that Muffin needs to come up with an archivable version of his Excel spreadsheet, which is to say NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
While I'm holding a seat in this distracted globe, what happened to this brawl? Is it a miserable pile of forfeits or what?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kaishai posted:

While I'm holding a seat in this distracted globe, what happened to this brawl? Is it a miserable pile of forfeits or what?

Yes it appears to be. Lowtax will feast this night.

Kaishai posted:

That's most noble of you, 'mojo, but isn't there another set you owe?

And yes indeed, consider those added to the pile.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh hey, it's the end of April, and I was supposed to judge a brawl at the beginning of April! GOOD WORK, SELF, YOU'RE A DISASTER

Thirdtomi April Fool's Brawl Judging: It's Still April Somewhere

These are going to be quick capsule crits because I'm on my phone at work and don't have the stories in front of me.

anatomi: Lots of good ideas, not quite fully-baked. I like the historical context and the attempt to eradicate AFD before it becomes a thing; the weird touches of inhuman... intestinal?... detail re: the time travel also really intrigued me. That said, this feels like a half-fleshed-out outline more than a story at times. Aside from a vague allusion to tragedy, we don't have a lot of character or motivation here, and that's a shame.

ThirdEmperor: This was late, but brawl DQs are lame, so whatever. I really like the core concept here, personifying the April Fool as a gadfly fae working against his own people for the sake of messy, delightful humanity, and I feel like you execute it pretty well. The big weakness is that occasionally you seem to get wrapped up in your own descriptions, which are lovely but can make it easy to lose the thread; the beginning is the worst offender here.

Third wins, but full credit to both for writing stories I liked with that crappy prompt.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

sebmojo posted:

Good fight, ty whalley

No, gently caress that on both counts. A good fight ends with the better story winning and that clearly didn't happen today. I refuse to mutter some bloodless anodyne bullshit; I refuse to even try to hide that I am completely, incandescently furious at this godawful judgement.

It is a lovely, sour note to end my time in 'Dome on, but I started writing to work on my mental health - and it has helped, until now, so thank you all for that - and I simply don't have left in me the capacity to care deeply about writing here and climb towards a goal if, when I get there, when I write the better story, all I get is spit in my eye. All the worse if I'm expected to mewl out 'good fight' as if it was anything less than a daylight robbery. I'm out.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
E: nvm

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 1, 2019

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
preemptively: everyone shut the hell up and either sign up, post a story, or crit

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ThirdEmperor posted:

I am a whiny angry baby.

Regrettable, yet true, at least for the moment. Come back when you're ready.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

And yes indeed, consider those added to the pile.

Cptns dr and person, after discussion you have until nz 9pm tomorrow on the dot to post your brawls or the :toxx: shaft will fly, steeltoedsneaks has picked up the judge hat

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

In, city slogan me, thanks

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

sebmojo posted:

In, give me a slogan. Also will do crits for my week by friday 2359 pst. :toxx:

Smoj, I can't imagine anyone better equipped to handle I.Seoul.U.

Fuschia tude posted:

In, city slogan me, thanks

Hi-Brand Nowon!

e: Armack has graciously agreed to judge; still need one more!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'll step in to judge! I don't have PMs and am not on the Thunderdome Discord yet, so I'm not totally sure how to get in touch with everyone, so assuming we can figure out how to stay in contact I'm willing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I'll step in to judge! I don't have PMs and am not on the Thunderdome Discord yet, so I'm not totally sure how to get in touch with everyone, so assuming we can figure out how to stay in contact I'm willing.

You're on!

E: fletamcgurn at Gmail dot com

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 1, 2019

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
Sorry if I missed something, but what’s the invite code for the discord?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Saucy_Rodent posted:

Sorry if I missed something, but what’s the invite code for the discord?

https://discord.gg/Fk4TVA

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
In with Dream Hub Gunsan.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
In. Slogan please.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
In. Slogan plz

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

sebmojo posted:

Cptns dr and person, after discussion you have until nz 9pm tomorrow on the dot to post your brawls or the :toxx: shaft will fly, steeltoedsneaks has picked up the judge hat

TwoCaptains SteamBrawl

The Patriotic Exploits of Nathaniel Dorian, Gentleman Adventurer Of The Steam Age

419 Words

Nathaniel Dorian was the greatest adventurer of the Modern Age and, just like everyone else who read the daily papers, he knew it.

“I am the greatest adventurer of the Modern Age!” he cried, punching the final sky pirate in the jaw as they brawled, balanced precariously atop the bright red envelope of his personal Godshawk P9000c airship. “Have at you, villain!”.

The pirate staggered back under the crushing onslaught of Justice and Nemesis (which is what Nathaniel Dorian called his fists), before he lost his footing and slipped from the airship, then plummeted to the ground far below. Nathaniel Dorian turned his attention to Captain Lazarus, his long-time foe, who was, at this very moment, preparing to detonate a powerful aetherium explosive device beneath the floating city of Neo Londinium.

“Mr Kepnal! Take us in closer to Lazarus’s ship!” he shouted down to his co-pilot. A blast of steam answered him, as the airship accelerated towards his great enemy. They swooped down towards the undercarriage of the vast aerial metropolis, as Mr Kepnal got them as close to the site of Lazarus’s misdeeds as possible.

Nathaniel Dorian took a running leap, his Union Flag patterned greatcoat streaming behind him as he flew through the air, and crashed into the domed cabin where Lazarus was preparing to carry out his vile anarchist schemes.

“Surrender, or forfeit your life, you scum of the skies!” He drew his phlogiston powered steam-sword, and pressed the attack on his foe.

“You’re really going to keep doing this?” asked Lazarus, desperately blocking a vicious lunge from Nathaniel Dorian.

“Doing what? Good deeds and acts of derring-do?”

“Your whole ‘greatest adventurer’ thing.” Parry. “Flying around, murdering anyone who opposes the Empress and stomping on the necks of anyone trying to get by.” Dodge. “You’re the jackbooted thug of a genocidal and racist regime, and you’ve never done a good deed in your life.” Stab, twist, counter-thrust.

“Nonsense! I defend the empire and her interests! Don’t try and bring political matters into this.”

Nathaniel Dorian paused a moment. Was Lazarus correct? Was he complicit in the subjugation of indigenous peoples, in the repression of foreigners and the vast inequality between the social classes?

Nah. Nathaniel Dorian brought his sword crashing down on Lazarus’s wrist, severing it messily. Lazarus hissed in pain, then gurgled wetly and collapsed as Nathaniel Dorian’s blade raked across his stomach and splattered blood across the small cabin.

“Take that, Evil-Doer! This age of Steam has no place for the likes of you!”

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Week 351 Redemption, flash rule is Blue Atoms: http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/LR/spam01/29_Norman_Burns_-_Blue_Atoms.mp3

Powder Blue
1040 words

I walk through the world I’ve created with my shoulders back, my chest out, and my chin high, so I never have to see the parts of me that are still human.

gently caress the world. gently caress everyone in it except for me. I’ve hidden myself away and I feel like every breath I take is shared by someone else I still haven’t managed to shut out.

I’m floating in a void filled with blue dust. The dust swirls around me as I stand, sit, walk, lie down and look at where the sky used to be. My eyes dart from point to point, darting away every time the dust starts to coalesce into something recognizable--a park bench, a tree branch, an arm, a mouth.

This is how everything ended. Everyone got the big red button at the same time, everyone received the ability to play God with their minds, to make the world in their own image. I stepped out of my apartment complex and watched the windows across the street erupt with waterfalls of hellfire and melted mozzarella cheese, and I shut my eyes and did this.

Catastrophe.

The voice in my brain belongs to Cat. It gave me this world, this newfound shelter. Gave me a world with endless space and no mirrors and no other voices, just the one inside my head. Cat is my best and only friend. Cat curls up inside my head and tells me where to go and what to do. I would never betray Cat. I lie down on my stomach and fold my arms behind my back, in this world of blue dust and smoke and soft edges where no one can ever hurt me ever again and I dream of a day where I will exhale the sky blue powder, breathe it in breathe it out until it becomes me and I become it.

Catharsis.

“You waiting for somebody?”

There’s someone in the distance, and I reflexively look in their direction, and I see her.

Aria’s looking at me through about six layers of blue dust. Her arms are writhing candycane-striped ferrets, snapping and biting holes in the clouds. She waves them, and they become forking tree branches made out of safety scissors. Waves them again, and they become waving inflatable tube men made of stone.

Catalyst.

“Leave me alone,” I say, not looking at her.

She blinks, and turns into a panther. “I heard you talking to someone named Cat,” she says, yellow eyes staring at the side of my head.

“I wasn’t talking to you.”

“I’m the only other person here,” she says, and when I look back at her, she’s a human again. “All the things you could do, all the places you could go, and you choose...this?”

“It’s my choice.”

“If you could choose again, what would you choose?”

“Exactly this.”

“Why?”

“Why do you care? I don’t have to explain anything to you. Go back out there and get stepped on by Optimus Prime or some poo poo.”

She looks away. I look away. I’m sitting in a world made of blue dust separated into fine enough particles that if I packed them all together wouldn’t be enough to cover the mole on my face, and she’s breathing the particles in, and I hate it. “I said go away,” I say into the dust.

“Who are you?” she says, still not looking at me. Her arms are now vines, curling around her legs, sprouting deep purple flowers that quickly become caked with dust.

“Who cares?”

“I care.”

“You shouldn’t.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t want you to.”

“Why not?”

“What do you want from me?” I yell, looking up at where Aria’s standing. “You did this. You all did this. You think I had any faith? Any faith at all that it wouldn’t turn out this way? That people wouldn’t disappoint me over and over again? That they wouldn’t choose the worst possible option again and again and again?”

Caterwaul.

The sounds of my voice quickly fade, muffled by the dust.

I shut my eyes, and suddenly she’s standing there next to me, offering her hand.

I look up at her. It’s just a hand, and she’s just a person.

“Stand up,” she says.

“I don’t have to listen to you,” I say. “I don’t have to do anything at all. I can sit here until everything swallows me up.”

“So go ahead,” says Aria. “I’ll watch.”

I shut my eyes, take a few deep breaths. I swallow hard, open my eyes again.

She’s still there.

It’s just a hand, and she’s just a person.

I raise my hand up from my side. Slowly. Slowly.

Slowly.

She grabs me by the wrist.

Cataclysm.

Her feet become wheels.

Turbines sprout from her back.

Rocketfire bursts from her shoulder blade.

I scream, and then the scream is already a solid mile behind me as we’re both flying, flying through the light blue void, dust in my eyes and my hair and my mouth and I’m screaming as my wrist is flopping from side to side, kicking at her, clawing at her, biting her, trying to get her to stop, trying to get her to stop.

Finally she stops.

“poo poo,” Aria says as I flop down onto my back, teeth gritted, cradling my wrist. “I really thought that would work.”

“gently caress you,” I breathe, rolling onto my side. “gently caress you in hell.”

“I would leave if I could,” she says, looking off into the distance again.

“What?” I say, staring up at her.

“I chose this. I didn’t know that it would be what it was, just this endless blue nothing, but I wanted someplace where I could hide. Now I just want to leave.”

“So leave,” I say, coughing, holding a hand to my throat. “I never want to see you again.”

I shut my eyes and hear her footsteps walk away. Seconds turn into minutes, then hours.

Catatonic.

I don’t know how to end this.

There’s never an end to anything.

I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

I don’t know if I’ll ever find out.

I hear her footsteps again.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

sebmojo posted:

ThirdEmperor posted:

I am a whiny angry baby.

Sorry did someone page me? There shall only be one whiny angry baby in this thread.

Open Brawl from the TD jobber. Get your wins! Request May 26th end date.

:toxx:

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Exmond posted:

Regrettable, yet true, at least for the moment. Come back when you’re ready.

Sorry did someone page me? There shall only be one whiny angry baby in this thread.

You’ve got a lot of nerve. I’ll not only brawl you, I’ll add an additional caveat:

If you accept this challenge you have to actually enter Thunderdome at least once in June, you bitchstick.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Exmond posted:

Sebmojo posted:

in addition to blowout's caveat, if you accept then you have to brawl me too

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 2, 2019

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Mr. Steak posted:

Angry baby posted:

in addition to blowout's caveat, if you accept then you have to brawl me too

Let's get this three-way underway!

FLASH RULE (oh god horrible flashbacks):

Take inspiration from this song or image. It's just a matter of time before you reach your goal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aCSo4aG9A4

Exmond Vs Steak vs Blowout is on!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

You don't get to give flash rules as a brawl participant, dingus

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

Listen you munters, you're all over the show.

I'll judge this brawl. Check back in a couple hours for a prompt and some formality around these flashrules (wtf) and caveats.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

steeltoedsneakers posted:

Listen you munters, you’re all over the show.

I’ll judge this brawl. Check back in a couple hours for a prompt and some formality around these flashrules (wtf) and caveats.

A couple hours? Are you pulling these flash rules out of your rear end, lovingly shaping them by hand, and then shoving them back up your rear end to fire them in your rear end-kiln?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Person too scared to enter the brawl posted:

You don't get to give flash rules as a brawl participant, dingus

This isn't a regular brawl, my flash rule stands!

Exmond fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 2, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Exmond posted:

This isn't a regular brawl, my flash rule stands!

that's up to the judge

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

sebmojo posted:

that's up to the judge

look at this newb wringing his hands about rules

embrace the chaos, bathe this dome in blood

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

look at this newb wringing his hands about rules

embrace the chaos, bathe this dome in blood

lol good point

for an idiot to make

at the idiot show

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

sebmojo posted:

lol good point

for an idiot to make

at the idiot show

gently caress

one last job, you always drag me back in for one last job

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

anyone don't wanna get killed, better head out the back :toxx:

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

Sitting Here posted:

gently caress

one last job, you always drag me back in for one last job

sebmojo posted:

anyone don’t wanna get killed, better head out the back :toxx:

THROWDOWN IN THE NURSING HOME!

Sittingmojo Idiot Show Brawlmania 2019

Write me up to 3000 words about an aging, retired wrestler. This is not a metaphor, your story must contain a wrestler and their wrestling must be relevant to the story. They don’t have to be the protag, though.

This bout for the belt ends at 2359 PST on 20th May.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Anomalous Blowout posted:

THROWDOWN IN THE NURSING HOME!

Sittingmojo Idiot Show Brawlmania 2019

Write me up to 3000 words about an aging, retired wrestler. This is not a metaphor, your story must contain a wrestler and their wrestling must be relevant to the story. They don’t have to be the protag, though.

This bout for the belt ends at 2359 PST on 20th May.
hey weren't we meant to collab on something

can I anti-brawl

can I bet like "gently caress you coward write a story with me and somebody else will judge it"

is the 'dome too old for new toys

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I WANNA DO SOME DOPE poo poo WITH GOOD PEOPLE

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I WANNA DO SOME DOPE poo poo WITH GOOD PEOPLE

What about doing terrible things with a horrible jerk?

I will accept your Friendship Fight™

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Anomalous Blowout posted:

What about doing terrible things with a horrible jerk?
I REFUSE TO DO TERRIBLE THINGS WITH A HORRIBLE JERK

IT'S A PITY YOU'RE AN EXCELLENT PERSON WHOSE WORDS AND CONDUCT I RESPECT U loving DINGDONG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

BLOWMUFFIN BUDDIES LWARB

Write me a story about a neophyte trying to break into a challenging field. Bonus points if this field is not music, theater, the arts, or sports, unless it's a real weird sport. Surprise me, basically.

5000 words.

End of May