Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

Silver lining.
Yes, silver, capital idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I feel like the WH shouldn’t be saying what’s a coup and what’s not after Trumps little rant.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LingcodKilla posted:

I feel like the WH shouldn’t be saying what’s a coup and what’s not after Trumps little rant.

It’s actually the Washington Posts Editorial Board.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...96d5_story.html

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

LingcodKilla posted:

I feel like the WH shouldn’t be saying what’s a coup and what’s not.

fixed for true historical accuracy.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

hobbesmaster posted:

The Truman thing is apparently about whether or not to go through with the midlife refueling and overhaul in 2024. Seems odd to not do it but the Pentagon apparently announces back in February that they’d start decommissioning the ship instead when the refueling is necessary.
https://www.stripes.com/cno-nominee-backs-navy-plan-to-scrap-uss-truman-as-white-house-vows-to-keep-the-ship-1.579086

While we are building new carriers it seems weird for the CNO to want a smaller fleet.

If we aren't an empire why do we need such a large fleet?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Adding to May 1st

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E81owDP4Ro

:black101:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Only clapping that happens in a strip club is with asscheeks

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Maybe thats how they greeted the VP?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I'm assuming shouting "Show us your tits" at the VP would get one in deep, deep trouble.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/IanSams/status/1123655714852036610?s=19

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Also morbid interest besides say the WSJ or Daily Telegraph are there any decent center-right Newspapers our there worth reading (cue jokes about WaPo incoming).

What's the joke?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I didn't clap when ordered for Rumsfeld, there is no way in he'll I'd clamp for that andriod looking chode.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah, this is pretty bad, because not only did they rush the release to appease the public, but they bungled their own coverup and are hoping nobody will pay attention and it'll go away.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What's the joke?

:golfclap:

If you weren’t kidding it was more I just remember one poster here really didn’t like WaPo.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I hope they impeach Barr. They have the grounds to now

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, this is pretty bad, because not only did they rush the release to appease the public, but they bungled their own coverup and are hoping nobody will pay attention and it'll go away.

What’s going to happen since we are paying attention?

I’m convinced that all of these hearings are just political theater. Nothing ever happens as a result.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

If you weren’t kidding it was more I just remember one poster here really didn’t like WaPo.

*clears throat*

And I think it's more than just me

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

colachute posted:

What’s going to happen since we are paying attention?

Nothing, probably, but Barr is stuttering and basically saying Rosenstein will handle things. Rosenstein leaves next week.

Barr also shot his own arguments in the foot by blatently ignoring legal definitions.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hot Karl Marx posted:

*clears throat*

And I think it's more than just me

Sorry couldn’t remember specifically because of the avatar switch. I think it was some perry one back.

But yeah I should have pointed out that it wasn’t only the one person, just I remember someone really not liking it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

:golfclap:

It's not a bad paper and they do solid reporting, but they're firmly entrenched in the center-right orthodoxy on economics and foreign policy. Hence the "what's the joke?", if you want a non-insane newspaper that swings to the right it is a decent option.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
WaPo had some pretty awesome election reporting but then they went completely crazy trying to both sides everything. The article that finally got me to cancel mine was a piece on the Penn State rape coverup and how the real victims was football.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^I think I’ve learned the best thing is to be selective with ever reading opinion pieces.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's not a bad paper and they do solid reporting, but they're firmly entrenched in the center-right orthodoxy on economics and foreign policy. Hence the "what's the joke?", if you want a non-insane newspaper that swings to the right it is a decent option.

I guess I should phrased it better then center right. I just was thinking more of stuff like WSJ/Daily Telegraph, but I didn’t think that would fall into say the term right leaning or right wing. I guess I meant right, but not insane or junk tabloid.

More so I guess it’s always the problem of trying to apply the political spectrum to certain things as though it’s uniform or fits nicely.

Lord knows I can imagine The Economist would probably gets some varied placing of it on the political spectrum depending on who you asked.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 1, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

UNCC pushed exams back and is giving profs the option of cancelling them altogether, so expect a bloodbath at campuses all over the nation in december as students realize the implications of encouraging the weird kid to snap at the right time.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Welp, unless Democrats grow a spine absolutely nothing will come from the meuller report

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Welp, unless Democrats grow a spine absolutely nothing will come from the meuller report

rip democracy killed by a dandy's grindr dick pic

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Let’s be honest nothing was happening as soon Mueller didn’t directly say he committed obstruction...and even then it would be a long shot.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Hot Karl Marx posted:

The house can certainly invite him to testify.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hegel Exercises posted:

rip democracy killed by a dandy's grindr dick pic
It's not even his dick, it just happens to be in his mouth. An innocent mistake for sure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Let’s be honest nothing was happening as soon Mueller didn’t directly say he committed obstruction...and even then it would be a long shot.

Mueller will be appearing in Congress this month. Barr's answers will no doubt be questioned here.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The house can certainly invite him to testify.

I’ll just point out Holder as an example (in terms of outcome not merits) of why that wouldn’t lead anywhere. Didn’t the House have a long running contempt case within Holder.

CommieGIR posted:

Mueller will be appearing in Congress this month. Barr's answers will no doubt be questioned here.

True, but I guess I’m talking about anything occurring beyond testimony and speech making.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I’ll just point out Holder as an example (in terms of outcome not merits) of why that wouldn’t lead anywhere. Didn’t the House have a long running contempt case within Holder.

Yup, by the House GOP.

Its doubtful anything will happen with the contempt charges.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, by the House GOP.

Its doubtful anything will happen with the contempt charges.

Oh Jesus that thing is still going on? I figure it ended with Holder leaving or I think there was some deal for document release. Point being I thought it would be over a long time ago.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

may day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvCGZEqk8Ak

Don't need a rationale to sing The Internationale.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://twitter.com/antiCapsLockist...ingawful.com%2F

Presented without comment

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh Jesus that thing is still going on? I figure it ended with Holder leaving or I think there was some deal for document release. Point being I thought it would be over a long time ago.

The Holder Contempt case resolved when the House GOP went to a federal judge to enforce it and the federal judge went "nah, lol" and everyone more or less went on their way. The judge told the DOJ to provide more Fast and Furious documents and it lasted like four years.

The House GOP was butthurt about the amount of documents being provided and wouldn't accept a DOJ deal, so they did the Contempt action as a whiny thing. It was pretty obvious that DOJ was giving up stuff, the GOP just didn't like it.

This current stuff is different, as Democrats are coming up against a total and complete stonewall from officials about subpoenas. Trump is basically telling them to take their subpoenas and shove them. I essentially agree that nothing substantive is going to happen, but Democrats are making noises about enforcing contempt proceedings with fines and lockerup, which has generally been litigated already as legit options.

As it's 2019, nothing that funny will happen. Could be wrong though!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Presented without comment

https://twitter.com/AynRandPaulRyan/status/1123602708001247234

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank you for the explanation and also goddamn this is wonderful.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

new ringtone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Guess he didn't like how today's trial run went.

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1123701826421968896

This will be a fun subpoena for the Trump administration to attempt to beat. Barr/DOJ is pissed that Democrats want to have the questioning run by Democratic Counsel, aka people that know what they're talking about when trying to pin down a legal snake.