Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Claws 3 straight up removes the gloves slot, doesn't it? I don't know what you could do about that other than making it not do that, which would be problematic for other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

rchandra posted:

They took away the part where mundane could be +2, so you had to try on every robe/aux.

Ah that's it thanks! Yea that was annoying.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
fr: make the ratskin cloak be *Rat in addition to +Rat so rats drop randomly out of your cloak as you fight stuff or walk around the dungeon

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Claws 3 straight up removes the gloves slot, doesn't it? I don't know what you could do about that other than making it not do that, which would be problematic for other reasons.

I request handwraps for the weapon slot as unarmed that give elemental damage to unarmed. Just make them as rare as bardings or something.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Finally played some gooncrawl on kelbi to test out perma-buffs. I killed a VSTm^W on Z5, somehow, despite being in +12 GDA with Blade Hands and 27 Unarmed. I keep thinking buffing is something you don't need to do.

Generally, though, I was having a blast with just running around and being a weird bouncing blender. This was the most fun I've had with Crawl for months.

Please feel free to die to my ghost, though, because I would find that even more fun.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm always vaguely sad when Kiku doesn't hand out animate dead or animate skeletons. Jerk god.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Trying out Crawl for the first time in years, chose goon fork. Went with an old favorite, OgWz of Ash, to test things out. Splatted the first two, but number three now has troll armor, GSC of fire, spectral weapon, and soon freezing cloud. Squashing everything in its path, cleared Lair and Orc. New permanent buffs, along with many other QoL improvements, are great. Any new spells I should look out for?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sometimes the rng is in a mood.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Hm. Which would be better a +9 halbred of speed or a +6 executioner's axe of chopping?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
which are you skilled in

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

well i'm no numbersman but, the exe axe is always going to hit way harder at the cost of a much higher investment to hit the executioner axe mindelay (it's what, 26 axes skill?). the halberd you'd eventually want to replace with a bardiche of some sort, probably, if you were using polearms.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Gorelab posted:

Hm. Which would be better a +9 halbred of speed or a +6 executioner's axe of chopping?

That's...a nuanced question. Hapberld will do you fine, especially if you have a positive aptitude for polearms, though it will probably fall off in effectiveness later in the game. Even then it's probably still fine if you have summons or clouds to take full advantage of the reach property, though you'll probably find the damage lacking and will want to look for an upgrade. The Exe axe is a pretty burial shroud for early characters, but if you're in a position to make the massive investment into axes it's asking for it's a perfectly fine weapon for taking on the lategame (and most of the postgame too, really, they're fairly murderous). Might not be the theoretical optimum best choice if your character is fragile, since axes do their best work on beefy characters in crowded fights due to cleaving, but still...exe axes good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Gorelab posted:

Tollymain posted:

which are you skilled in

That's literally all there is to it. I can't imagine that you've had both drop very early in the dungeon, and if it's lategame and you have zero weapon skills are are a caster who's considering hybridizing... the answer is neither, you'll have cleared most of extended by the time either is usable.

also additional comedy note: I just discovered by accident that ctl-i gives automatic italic tags. So I tried a few other keys like ctl-b for bold, then thought "how about quote" and hit ctl-q. I'm smaaaaart.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Is there a Europe server that has gooncrawl?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gorelab posted:

Use the halberd while training axes, axe skill cross-trains into polearms.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

tote up a bags posted:

Is there a Europe server that has gooncrawl?

I'm nagging the admin of underhound.eu to add forks.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Mordekai posted:

I'm nagging the admin of underhound.eu to add forks.

Hell, yeah!!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Did beem die on CKO? I haven't had it speccing me for a couple days now. :ohdear:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Did beem die on CKO? I haven't had it speccing me for a couple days now. :ohdear:

It did, about a week ago I think.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Barachi are almost a cool race. They really just need to lose the LoS increase and get Strong Legs level 2 at base honestly. Slow speed balanced by periodic sorta-blinks is an interesting and balanced race.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Banged my head on making the Gooncrawl MSVC build work, did not manage it because there's some changes made to tilegen I think??? that haven't made it into the fork. I'll circle around to it again either later tonight or tomorrow with some fresh eyes.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
for anyone stuck with windows I can wholeheartedly recommend the windows 10 linux compatibility layer with ubuntu (and if you want tiles, xming for graphics)

it compiles just as the linux instructions say

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Barachi are almost a cool race. They really just need to lose the LoS increase and get Strong Legs level 2 at base honestly. Slow speed balanced by periodic sorta-blinks is an interesting and balanced race.
Barachi are a cool race. The real problem is that you absolutely have to play a build where you have good answers to their shortcomings. My personal favorite being "worship Cheibriados", because you were never gonna get anywhere quickly anyways, and the combination of Slouch and basically Controlled Blink covers just about every weakness the slow movespeed provides. Plus then you get the base stats to actually use those delicious "make me a hybrid" aptitudes (including being one of the rare races with positive apts in both Armour and Dodge).

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Higher LOS being a bad thing is always a bit of a wait what for me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's a weird side effect of the "if you can't see something it can't see you, and if you see something it can see you" mechanic.

A race that could see things before they see you would be cool, but I'm assuming coding that would be an nightmare.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Gorelab posted:

Higher LOS being a bad thing is always a bit of a wait what for me.

I was excited about +1 LOS until it turned out it also allows your enemies to see you AND attack you ranged from 8 squares away instead of 7.

It's a wait what because having good vision in this instance magically imbues everyone else in the dungeon with the mystical ability to see you from further way. You can aggro and are exposed from considerably more tiles every turn and it takes you an extra turn (more with your slow movement) to close with any ranged attacker.

Good example of how to turn something cool about a race into something that discourages you from playing it.

Haifisch posted:

A race that could see things before they see you would be cool, but I'm assuming coding that would be an nightmare.

LOS in Crawl works by raycasting, by my admittedly foggy understanding it draws a ton of rays and then kills most of them due to them being blocked by "ray killers". When it checks LOS it just sees if there is a ray that survived between those two cells. There's some opacity trickery where smoke/fog requires 2 cells to be a ray killer but regardless that function has a range so if I knew C better I would subtract 1 from the range if player race is Ba and we're calling as mon.see_cell() instead of you.see_cell().

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 2, 2019

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haifisch posted:

It's a weird side effect of the "if you can't see something it can't see you, and if you see something it can see you" mechanic.

its called formicid

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araganzar posted:

I was excited about +1 LOS until it turned out it also allows your enemies to see you AND attack you ranged from 8 squares away instead of 7.

It's a wait what because having good vision in this instance magically imbues everyone else in the dungeon with the mystical ability to see you from further way. You can aggro and are exposed from considerably more tiles every turn and it takes you an extra turn (more with your slow movement) to close with any ranged attacker.

Good example of how to turn something cool about a race into something that discourages you from playing it.
Again, Cheibriados turns this into a benefit. Yes, I would like an extra 15 squares of AoE on my Slouch, thank you very much!

Edit: Not saying it shouldn't be changed, reducing the LoS back to 7 would be a net gain for the race, just that there's ways to make it work.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 2, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Again, Cheibriados turns this into a benefit. Yes, I would like an extra 15 squares of AoE on my Slouch, thank you very much!

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/araganzar/morgue-araganzar-20190423-051822.txt

+12 triple crossbow "Akoblip" {speed, *Corrode rN+ MR+ Int+4}, portal projectile, song of slaying, Yred blockers. I wasn't complaining about the extra LOS.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FR: Cheibriados makes you immune to the Slow condition.

Edit: Seriously, Ara, how do I never notice you're there until you're gone?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 2, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sage Grimm posted:

Banged my head on making the Gooncrawl MSVC build work, did not manage it because there's some changes made to tilegen I think??? that haven't made it into the fork. I'll circle around to it again either later tonight or tomorrow with some fresh eyes.

Speaking of which I got VSCode going and it's proving way better for Go To Definition/Implementation stuff. Unfortunately build just doesn't work, but I've been trying to point it to MinGW64 for the build task instead of MSVC. The problem now is half the header definitions fail because of expectation of pre-compiled versus not headers.

Pretty sure the Mara Lava Orc problem is being introduced in init_player_doll() called during temperature_changed() function in player.cc (every turn!). The way the tiles and dolls work is weird rear end pointers and memcpy all over the place using these relative references to jump around and I can't get even close to wrapping my head around it. So this is going unsolved by me until I can get step debugging working.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I played a barachi archaeologist of Ru not too long ago. Having +LOS wasn't really a downside then either since you can just blow everyone up. I splatted stupidly because I drank a berserk potion and couldn't escape during the royal jelly fight when I needed to.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Correction: BaFi^C hybrid is great right up until you get two-shotted by a unique when caught in an open area of Spider 2.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The very first run I've ever had that actually went past Dlvl 10 or so (and cleared the Lair!) ended because I got greedy on my way to my first rune.

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/dolphinbomb/morgue-dolphinbomb-20190502-081403.txt

Oh well, time to waste another couple hours doing it again :suicide:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Correction: BaFi^C hybrid is great right up until you get two-shotted by a unique when caught in an open area of Spider 2.

one of my favorite things about webtiles is coming back to the thread and seeing the tales of ghosts i've encountered (or spectated encountering, in this case) :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Your ghost is a huge jerk who could do 50 damage a hit and kept hanging out by the downstairs, by the way. :mad:

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009
Second win! A MiAc of Gozag that got Rift (+8 distort demon trident with extra reach) out of the box. Rift carried me through Vaults where I picked up Wyrmbane (+8 rPois rF+ rC+ AC+3 lance that enhances itself whenever it kills a dragon). This very quickly became +18 with all the dragons at this point of the game and easily took me to the end.

I'd never gone for the Abyssal rune before and I got very lucky there and found it on Abyss 3.

First time getting far with Gozag as well and the Bribe Branch ability seems really strong and is a lot of fun, especially when I realized that you could bribe Zot. Fighting alongside two Orbs of Fire wrecked Zot:5 pretty quick and made short work of the pan lord that showed up when I grabbed the orb.

Morgue: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/anchorite/morgue-anchorite-20190502-035025.txt

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well this run was kind of fun, got glaive of the guard out of an archeology box and just ran with it for most of the run. I don't think I've ever had the ring of robustness and phasing at the same time before, nothing short of defense piercing attacks were able to harm me. Demigods aren't the most interesting but having 30~ of all stats at endgame kind of is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Your ghost is a huge jerk who could do 50 damage a hit and kept hanging out by the downstairs, by the way. :mad:
+9 Triple Sword of Venom. I had endgame level gear, I'm downright ashamed of dying somewhere that mundane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Anyone got any experience giving Spellforged Servitor Conjure Ball Lighting? Will it kill me through rElec? Is it even a good idea? I thought about giving it an AoE option, but maybe I'm better off leaving it on LHC/IOoD/Bolt of Fire duty?

I'm also considering switching bolt of fire to lightning bolt, would that be a good idea? Here's my char for reference.