Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Twelve Batmans posted:

Nintendo also owns Sega.

Sammy owns Sega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my uncle works for nintendo and he says sonic is retard

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Biohazard posted:

I feel bad for james marsden. He seems like a pretty legitimately good actor that should have made it really big, but instead does a lot of crap like this. I suppose it pays the bills though. He was perfect on westworld, I really hope he's not legit gone next season.

EDIT: Google does say he's worth 8 million though, so meh, I suppose he doesn't really give a poo poo.

*insert michael kaine quote about Jaws 4*

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
The best/worst thing James Marsen has ever done is The Box. That alone karmically earns him a couple easy paychecks

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

The best/worst thing James Marsen has ever done is The Box. That alone karmically earns him a couple easy paychecks

I unironically love that movie. It's so good.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ivan Shitskin posted:

BUT WHERES TAILS????!!!

My money's on either "post-credits sequel bait" or "movie never acknowledges his existence in any context".

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cockmaster posted:

My money's on either "post-credits sequel bait" or "movie never acknowledges his existence in any context".

It looks like Sonic uses rings to make portals. So maybe we'll see him somehow using those.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
did sonic start out with the weird furry fandom or did that start when tails was introduced?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

It's been a long time since I watched it, but I remember thinking it was one of those great/horrible movies, as you said. Wasn't it the same guy that did donnie darko? That's another bad/good movie, where armchair philosphers tried to make it out to be more than it was, but actually was a pretty interesting little indie movie with some great cinematography, in an age where that was a pretty rare thing.

EDIT: yeah it was him. And he hasn't made a movie since The Box. What gives, did he get metoo'ed at some point or something?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Twelve Batmans posted:

It looks like Sonic uses rings to make portals. So maybe we'll see him somehow using those.

:10bux: they make some portal reference. The cake is a lie or some dumb poo poo that gamers will get.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I wonder if James Marsden asks him if he's one of those "Pokey-men," like "Sonichu."

Lol, that'd own

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

razamataza posted:

lmao alex would like to have a word with you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umD4dhqLjC4&t=182s
e-sports is the worst.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
cause ive been goin so fast for so long
that even robotnik thinks that my mind is gone

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Mnoba posted:

did sonic start out with the weird furry fandom or did that start when tails was introduced?

the weird furry fandom was a byproduct of Sonic SatAM and later the Archie comic

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
^ Furries will latch onto ANYTHING that catches their attention, though. (Even Five Nights at Freddy's.) If you're a creator your options are to either ignore them or scrub your ideas free from anything that might appeal to them. But even the latter is no guarantee of success.

I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was. The shot at the end was the only part where it looked like it could work.

I think the ugliness of Sonic's design is secondary to the fact that the plot is a fish-out-of-water story. Most of the time that sort of thing is so formulaic that it gets boring far too fast, with Into the Spider-Verse being a big exception because that wasn't the main aspect of the plot, plus the rest of the Spider-crew were interesting characters and it did something unique with its adaptation of the essence of Spider-Man. I don't think anyone could have imagined that the Sonic Boom cartoon would have wound up being one of the best Sonic adaptations, but it was, because it had decent writing and remembered to be true to what Sonic as a franchise is supposed to be: cartoon characters in an action-adventure setting (that aren't taken in a direction that's too serious or too stupid). That's the essence of what Sonic is. This movie is a whole lot of "Hey, I don't belong here. I'm weird to you, you're weird to me. P.S. must stay hidden" And we all know how THAT goes.

If they really want this to stand as its own thing in the Sonic franchise it can't have even a whiff of being boring to it, and the trailer really gives off a formulaic feeling to the whole thing. Even if they used a decent Sonic model there's just not much there that's interesting or exciting, and setting it in our world doesn't help at all. I'm not hopeful that there's going to be a second trailer that indicates at some legit-neat adventure hijinks in store with the final cut being full of Spider-Verse level fun.

At least Ben Schwarz sounds fine as Sonic, I guess?

Biohazard posted:

EDIT: yeah it was him. And he hasn't made a movie since The Box. What gives, did he get metoo'ed at some point or something?

I think he's had stuff in the works that got caught up in their respective development hells. And every aspect of Southland Tales imploding on itself probably didn't help much either. (If you didn't read the multiple tie-in graphic novels you wouldn't know what was going on, which led to disastrous reviews and total commercial failure.)

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 2, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Agent Escalus posted:

^ Furries will latch onto ANYTHING that catches their attention, though. (Even Five Nights at Freddy's.) If you're a creator your options are to either ignore them or scrub your ideas free from anything that might appeal to them. But even the latter is no guarantee of success.

I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was. The shot at the end was the only part where it looked like it could work.

I think the ugliness of Sonic's design is secondary to the fact that the plot is a fish-out-of-water story. Most of the time that sort of thing is so formulaic that it gets boring far too fast, with Into the Spider-Verse being a big exception because that wasn't the main aspect of the plot, plus the rest of the Spider-crew were interesting characters and it did something unique with its adaptation of the essence of Spider-Man. I don't think anyone could have imagined that the Sonic Boom cartoon would have wound up being one of the best Sonic adaptations, but it was, because it had decent writing and remembered to be true to what Sonic as a franchise is supposed to be: cartoon characters in an action-adventure setting (that aren't taken in a direction that's too serious or too stupid). That's the essence of what Sonic is. This movie is a whole lot of "Hey, I don't belong here. I'm weird to you, you're weird to me. P.S. must stay hidden" And we all know how THAT goes.

If they really want this to stand as its own thing in the Sonic franchise it can't have even a whiff of being boring to it, and the trailer really gives off a formulaic feeling to the whole thing. Even if they used a decent Sonic model there's just not much there that's interesting or exciting, and setting it in our world doesn't help at all. I'm not hopeful that there's going to be a second trailer that indicates at some legit-neat adventure hijinks in store with the final cut being full of Spider-Verse level fun.

I think he's had stuff in the works that got caught up in their respective development hells. And every aspect of Southland Tales imploding on itself probably didn't help much either. (If you didn't read the multiple tie-in graphic novels you wouldn't know what was going on, which led to disastrous reviews and total commercial failure.)

Jesus christ.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I’m deleting my six thousand word post on the sonic the hedgehog movie because nothing will ever top that

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

I appreciate the effort, but this is a cash grab directed at man babies, no need to go any further with theory.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

sonics dumb because like, he goes fast but i can barely see in front of him to react to the levels. what, am i supposed to memorise this poo poo?

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

The day that live action movies with nightmarishly ugly cgi creatures become unprofitable can't come fast enough

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Agent Escalus posted:

First post itt, but wow you’re super into sonic my man!

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 2, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

dracky posted:

The day that live action movies with nightmarishly ugly cgi creatures become unprofitable can't come fast enough

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Agent Escalus posted:

:agreed:

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
hot take this movie is a psyop to get more people in the theater for detective pikachu

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I don't plan on ever watching this, but I have to give them props for not making it a dark and gritty reboot of the sonic mythos. A buddy cop movie or whatever (I was drunk when I watched the trailer) is probably the least embarassing way this could have turned out.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I will totally watch this once it's available for free on Amazon Prime or HBO or some poo poo. Hell, I might even have a viewing party with friends to get drunk and laugh at a laughably bad movie.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Gamers (tm) are really mad that their childhood is being ruined, as well as the legacy of Really Good Sonic Games, because a children's movie trying to appeal to a younger generation isn't exactly how they wanted it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I will be seeing it in the theatre.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is literally the only movie at all on my radar or that I'm in any way aware of. Good work Sonic marketing team.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

The Fattest PI posted:

Gamers (tm) are really mad that their childhood is being ruined, as well as the legacy of Really Good Sonic Games, because a children's movie trying to appeal to a younger generation isn't exactly how they wanted it.

I haven’t seen any mad people though? Seems like the broad cultural consensus is “lmao”

naem
May 29, 2011

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
not even a fat suit smdh

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Like, all sonic media from the past 15 years has been garbage. Anyone mad about their favorite Sega Genesis character being “ruined” probably killed themselves a long time ago

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

sonic mania loving owns suck my dick if you disagree

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
This version of Sonic is insanely powerful, holy poo poo.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

The Fattest PI posted:

Lol. No one's mad, just laughing, and this movie is straight up pandering to adults who grew up in the 90s, not current kids. Did you watch the trailer? It uses Gangsta's Paradise and Jim Carrey literally plays himself from any of his 90s comedies.

GashouseGorilla
Nov 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/cinemalistings_/status/1123362823113850880?s=19

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Kanye once said that “no one man should have all that power” and in the case of Sonic it’s very true.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Agent Escalus posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lol

:gizz: