Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ImpAtom posted:

Carol is tough but I don't think there's any indication that she could completely nosell the Infinity Gauntlet. The Power Stone alone let Thanos knock her across the field where previously she was ignoring headbutts. Considering The Hulk got wrecked by using it and he specifically pointed out he's better at gamma radiation than most, it's not improbable she'd have gotten crippled or killed too.

Yeah, I forgot Banner saying something about gamma radiation. Makes sense that he'd be more resistant than others. Still, would have been a cool moment to see Carol wield the gauntlet and it not even affecting her, even if just for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

ruddiger posted:

Speaking of doppelgängers and poo poo, what did everyone think of the Gemini Man trailer (if you saw it before the movie)?

I'm a big fan of Ben Murphy, so I'm ridin' with death or dyin' tryin'.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

ImpAtom posted:

I could be mistaken since I didn't remember the exact flow, but I assumed Hulk said that because they were fighting a pretty serious possibly-losing battle against Thanos and 'get it far away' wouldn't necessarily work if he won the fight. If they died but the stones went back then at very least Thanos doesn't have a working infinity gauntlet somewhere on Earth.

Here's a better idea:

Hey Dr Strange, get some of your allies to hold back that water and teleport the van and Hawkeye holding the gauntlet to the other side of the planet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mulderman posted:

Here's a better idea:

Hey Dr Strange, get some of your allies to hold back that water and teleport the van and Hawkeye holding the gauntlet to the other side of the planet.

I wish it was just this and then a big "gently caress you pal, the gang's all here" rather than a sacrifice that probably wasn't necessary at all. Let Tony retire who gives a poo poo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I keep forgetting the wizard sling ring portals are only used when the plot demands it lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

teagone posted:

I keep forgetting the wizard sling ring portals are only used when the plot demands it lol.

They sort of make it sound like it's not a combat maneuver in the Stange movie but also Wong uses it to win a fight so presumably you could just have a front line battle wizard section and then sling ring dudes removing huge groups of enemies and sending them to Antarctica.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Strange made Loki fall for 30 mins straight in Ragnarok without even seeing him, or being anywhere near him. Nothing suggests he couldn't do the same to Thanos and just leave him falling forever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

teagone posted:

Strange made Loki fall for 30 mins straight in Ragnarok without even seeing him, or being anywhere near him. Nothing suggests he couldn't do the same to Thanos and just leave him falling forever.

Which is why they gave him a stupid water hazard, but the other guys can also do it so it's extra dumb

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That's kinda the problem with Strange. He's bullshit so they needed a reason to get him out of the picture. They should have send in less teleporting monks and just Strange, then have him teleport people all over the battlefield during the actual battle and give us the excuse, that it's taking all his focus just to teleport everyone all over the place

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
A friend really wanted to see this and dragged me to it today. Strangely they are a big MCU fan and I hate it but we both had the same read on it in the end. It's actually not the worst movie for the first two acts and then shits the bed to a massive extent in the third act. It's so goddamn disjointed and just plain ugly.

Ignoring all the time travel nonsense we've all complained about endlessly, the final battle is utter dogshit. The colour palette, the cinematography, the editing, the score it's all terrible. There is a moment where Cap is hosed and then all the dead heroes come back to save the day and it's nominally this big, epic moment and it looks so small, so pathetic, so boring.

Imagine how amazing it should have been. I'm not asking for something unreasonable here. The trailers for Godzilla: KOTM show the kind of thing that is possible. But in this it's just a muddy orange/brown nightmare, with uninteresting debris and battlefield stuff. The action doesn't flow, there is no sense of danger, of spacial relations. It's just a bunch of things happening until it's time to stop. As an example of what I mean, how quickly Ant-Man + The Wasp get to the van, versus the time it takes Captain Marvel, who can travel faster than the speed of light. None of it makes sense, it's all just an excuse for boring, weightless action against CGI nonsense to happen. It was so bad that thinking about it (because this movie went back to it), the climax to the first Avengers was terrible, as CineD has long documented, but I actually think this climax was even worse, if that is possible. People have called out the lady heroes team-up bit as bad, but really it's no worse than the entire thing, that is just more noticeable because of people wanting to complain about the wimmins because dudes on the internet have small dicks I guess. I mean, using just the final battle not other movie or outside material, what colour is Spider-Man's suit? That's what I mean about the visual style, it's so bad.

On other random notes, I like that Iron Man got a big funeral with all the MCU there, while Black Widow got Hawkeye remembering her with Wanda by a lake, they really don't give a gently caress lol.

I don't want to say something I can't take back, but the climax to this reminded me of the climax to Justice League, in visual ugliness and terrible colour, it's that bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I had a friend who hated the MCU, I wouldn’t drag them to see it. out of respect for them, because they are my friend and I’d rather spend time doing something we both enjoy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If I had a friend I'd be a lot happier.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Part of being a good friend is doing things you might not enjoy, because you want them to do the things they enjoy. He went with me to see a cricket test earlier in the year even though he doesn't really like cricket, but I do.

I was really surprised he was as negative about it as me, he's liked all the films until now. I hope my negativity didn't rub off on him.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CelticPredator posted:

If I had a friend who hated the MCU, I wouldn’t drag them to see it. out of respect for them, because they are my friend and I’d rather spend time doing something we both enjoy.

I was that friend in 2012 and I gradually transitioned from hate watching to just watching to actually enjoying it.

I think it was Guardians that did it. It was the first one that actually felt like a good film in its own right rather than an advert.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

JBP posted:

No. I'm jbp in any year though

But you're not the same person though. 35-year old JBP and 19-year old JBP probably have different enough personslities and viewpoints to be considered different people. And that's without adding time traveling alternate versions of yourself into the mix

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

I was that friend in 2012 and I gradually transitioned from hate watching to just watching to actually enjoying it.

I think it was Guardians that did it. It was the first one that actually felt like a good film in its own right rather than an advert.

Both Guardians films are actually good films rather than good superhero films, and in particular the climactic battle-fight sequence in Guardians 2 is the metric against which other films should be judged.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Alchenar posted:

Both Guardians films are actually good films rather than good superhero films, and in particular the climactic battle-fight sequence in Guardians 2 is the metric against which other films should be judged.

I'd say the funeral scene at the end elevates it far beyond all other Marvel films.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

This is the true reason Endgame falls flat. Infinity War is basically Guardians of the Galaxy 3, with the Avengers thrown in. Endgame only has Nebula and Rocket, it feels a lot more like a pure Avengers movie.

The Thanos storyline started in Guardians, and half of the characters had a personal beef with Thanos before he even started collecting the stones. None of that pays off! Drax doesn't even get a single line in Endgame. The guy who's entire arc is about killing Thanos gets no pay off :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yes Drax. The man whose only role in guardians 2 is to do the laugh that twitter likes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

Yes Drax. The man whose only role in guardians 2 is to do the laugh that twitter likes.

Endgame would have been 400% improved with Drax instead of Hawkeye.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 2, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rutibex posted:

Yeah but they wanted him back with black widow. I didn't think much about Drax he's a comic relief character that's never had any hope of harming Thanos.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

JBP posted:

I mean, it's a pretty good laugh.

The Guardians had to be weakened quite a bit in their own movies anyway though, like comic Drax can go toe to toe with Thanos and kill him on his own (and has), it's like what he was made to do, and the Guardians have straight up killed Thanos also. Just unlike with Strange or Captain Marvel instead of taking their powers into account by having the plot just remove them from the big fights for most of the time, but by making more of them comedy characters instead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rutibex posted:

I think you mean WITH Hawkeye. Like imagine the all the Hawkeye/Black Widow parts but with Drax also stoically narrating it to us as it happens.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

I think you mean WITH Hawkeye. Like imagine the all the Hawkeye/Black Widow parts but with Drax also stoically narrating it to us as it happens.

This actually would have been good, he works well with a couple of others to bounce off.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Uh if you think drax is a purely comic relief character then you didn't watch Guardians 2 closely. He's supporting but has important character interactions that build in to the story.

But that's also why Guardians is a good film. Even very minor bit characters like Kraglin are given a chance to come alive on screen. I can describe why Kraglin matters in Guardians 2 better than I can explain why Captain Marvel is in Endgame.

E: and yeah, its telling that the Guardians characters dominate every part of infinity war they are in, from the Rocket-thor sidequest to Gamora being the vehicle by which we understand thanos, to quill being an idiot but providing the entire emotional conflict between the heroes and the villain

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 2, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Whoever wrote it brutalised the viewer with the same "Drax does the laugh" bit over and over.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think Guardians and particularly Guardians 2 are rare examples of using an ensemble cast well. Even if some roles were small I think basically every character served a narrative purpose and got some development in GotG2.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
i agree the final battle is visually kind of a mess and the story of it is kind of sloppy and very full of “wait why didnt the mega powerful character just do the thing they do in the other movies and easily win?” the writers did say that they wrote and shot a much bigger battle so maybe there’s a director’s cut that’s better? (probably not) it did have some fun moments though

ps ancient one is using the chakras or whatever to cut chitari in half in 2012, plus all the other stuff they do with portals. Dr Strange could have locked the gloveless thanos in the mirror dimension since Thanos didn’t have the reality stone. Just replay the stuff they all did when they fought him in infinity war but without him having the gauntlet — Thanos loses quickly. And the device of Strange having to hold the water after the dam broke in the bombardment was bad, Strange has seen the timeline and could easily have protected the dam from the bombardment. But that’s why Strange murdered Tony Stark.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

McCloud posted:

But you're not the same person though. 35-year old JBP and 19-year old JBP probably have different enough personslities and viewpoints to be considered different people. And that's without adding time traveling alternate versions of yourself into the mix

More specifically why would anyone want to be with a guy who's clearly wearing a toupee vs the real deal

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I didn't care because it's not a point to get caught up on, but since when was the Ancient One based in New York? She just has portals that go there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

JBP posted:

No. I'm jbp in any year though

Yeah more like Jordan B. Peterson!!!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Neo Rasa posted:

The Guardians had to be weakened quite a bit in their own movies anyway though, like comic Drax can go toe to toe with Thanos and kill him on his own (and has), it's like what he was made to do, and the Guardians have straight up killed Thanos also. Just unlike with Strange or Captain Marvel instead of taking their powers into account by having the plot just remove them from the big fights for most of the time, but by making more of them comedy characters instead.
A lot of people in the Marvel universe can beat up Thanos, they really had to give him a stat boost to make him nigh-invincible even without the Gauntlet.

Alchenar posted:

E: and yeah, its telling that the Guardians characters dominate every part of infinity war they are in, from the Rocket-thor sidequest to Gamora being the vehicle by which we understand thanos, to quill being an idiot but providing the entire emotional conflict between the heroes and the villain
Quill isn't actually an idiot, other characters are just mean to him a lot. That's why Infinity War had a subplot about him being jealous of Thor, which is out of character and drags the whole movie down.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 2, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
squirrel girl defeated thanos in the comics.

In general though, pretty much any super power has a bunch of "why don't they just X" questions, and like, sometimes the x-men comics run through it, and have had runs with like, ice man and gambit actually going through the "if my powers can do X, why can't I just Y" until they become like actual gods and it's a neat little story thing, and kinda always concludes on the idea that all super powers are infinitely powerful, and it's just the mental shapes that the people put on them that limit what they can do and like stuff loves to show that dazzler just does silly fireworks because she grew up safe and fine and every alternate version of her is like shooting fusion lasers or making complex holograms but our dazzler's life never required her working on that stuff.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It's a shame that when they do Fantastic 4 they won't be able to have Johnny Storm meet Captain America or Killmonger.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hobo Clown posted:

It's a shame that when they do Fantastic 4 they won't be able to have Johnny Storm meet Captain America or Killmonger.

I've seen reports that Killmonger may be returning *somehow*.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hobo Clown posted:

I can not imagine they will ever make a fantastic 4 movie. It's been so bad so so many times. And so many other movies have done everything they do (the incredibles).

Like they might introduce them at some point but it'll be like, thor 8: mr fantastic is here now for some reason.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I can not imagine they will ever make a fantastic 4 movie. It's been so bad so so many times. And so many other movies have done everything they do (the incredibles).

Like they might introduce them at some point but it'll be like, thor 8: mr fantastic is here now for some reason.

X-Men is a bit of a problem though. I don't think I'll accept a depiction that doesn't have Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah. It seems like Guardians of the Galaxy also ran with the "we are/create family" theme pretty well too. Not sure we need another superhero group to show us how important it is to be family.

Also, anyone else want to talk about the support group scene in Endgame?

I'm curious why they put Captain America in that scene. I guess it's a call back to the veteran's support thing of Winter Soldier, right? But the Cap looked like he was leading it. Did he get some therapy group leader training at some point in the MCU? Go to community college? Get a certificate? Or is he just that kind of guy - let's hurry and punch Thanos and then be back in time for the evening support session. Although, I guess it's also suggesting that he knows their pain cause he lost most of his people when he get frozen and woke up in the future?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Alchenar posted:

X-Men is a bit of a problem though. I don't think I'll accept a depiction that doesn't have Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman.

I imagine they will keep doing what they are doing and never introduce "The X-Men" but will continue to just have scarlet witch and quicksilver and whoever from the x-men they want show up whenever they want.

Like look at hulk, he was in a terrible movie before they even started the MCU and had some rights issue and to this day even with him as one of the top primary characters he still is just getting his story told in other people's movies (or frequently off screen for some reason). I think fantastic four and X-men will follow that mold. They will start as the middle act B-plot of some movie then just be around after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Basebf555 posted:

I've seen reports that Killmonger may be returning *somehow*.

That's actually super easy based on what was shown earlier in the film with Ross and his should-have-been fatal gunshot wound that was instantly stabilized by just sticking a high-tech Wakandan bead in it.