Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Oracle Cloud seems to basically be trying to clone Amazon from comp to leadership principal interviews.

oracle cloud was built by aggressively poaching from Amazon and Microsoft by tripling people's net income. gotta pay a hefty tax when your brand is loving oracle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol at including Amazon in the list tbh. deece figgies, two weeks pto. lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or was it three weeks pto but basically no company holidays? either way

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

which job titles should a moron idiot like me woth no career experience actually be applying for

But for real, anything that explicitly has no mention of prior work experience.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

which job titles should a moron idiot like me woth no career experience actually be applying for

titles are meaningless garbage that matter only to recruiters binging away on linked to try and find someone to poach

so to that end, whatever the gently caress is closest to the job you want to have when you inevitably jump ship

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

qhat posted:

But for real, anything that explicitly has no mention of prior work experience.

oh, rip. most big corporations will offer "new grad" positions which seems to be a one weird trick for lowering position compensation. that being said everything else is 3-5 years. entry level it maybe 1-2 years exp.

id settle for a long contract internship at this point but thatd be a hard pill with 10+ mfg eng xp.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

oh, rip. most big corporations will offer "new grad" positions which seems to be a one weird trick for lowering position compensation.

Well yeah for sure, but understand that with no experience you are worth exactly gently caress all to the company. In fact, you will almost certainly have negative expected value for at least the first 6-12 months, so that compensation would be justified. That being said, you should getting 12-15% annual raises consistently for the first 2-3 years of your career if you are performing well and learning fast. If you're not, then fell free to jump ship and claim double the figgies now that you have your foot in the door.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

oh, rip. most big corporations will offer "new grad" positions which seems to be a one weird trick for lowering position compensation. that being said everything else is 3-5 years. entry level it maybe 1-2 years exp.

id settle for a long contract internship at this point but thatd be a hard pill with 10+ mfg eng xp.

depends.

i had ~4 years experience doing process engineering (manufacturing) at samsung and intel hired me as a “graduate intern” in chip design while i finished my masters in circuit design. i made about 85% of what i made as a full time employee at samsung, but only worked 20 hrs a week, and that rate got bumped up a bit when I got brought on full time after the masters.

if you are switching fields / careers then an executive/continuing education terminal masters degree can help a lot imho. your manufacturing experience may not be directly applicable, but if it’s the same kinda product then you might find it useful. my mfg process knowledge helps me understand my current job a lot better I think.

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
I mostly lurk but posted in this thread a few months back that i wanted to leave the startup where I worked. I've had just about 2 years of experience (UK) and gave them a notice period of about a month, where my original notice period was three months. So i left yesterday, the work was not completed and now i'm being sued for breach of contract, and for compensation during that time.

not saying i took the advice of anyone here, already got in touch with some employment lawyer people, and not seeking more advice. just wanted to rant, gently caress me

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I would be extremely surprised if any judge ruled against someone with 2 years of experience who left a job with 30 days notice. Contract or not, the company would have to show that they were significantly financially jeopardised by you leaving, and no, dragging their heels to find your replacement doesn't count.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

CLASS 2 PERVERSION posted:

I really want to leave my current job but i'm one of two developers at a small startup and will probably gently caress them over if I leave. I also have a three month notice period but I would leave before then if I could. I don't think the company is going anywhere and I don't like the job much. feeling pretty silly for taking this job in the first place but best case now is that the company disappears in the next few months. as such i'm interviewing now but really not looking forward to telling them that I plan to gently caress off.

What happens in the UK if you leave before your notice period in the UK?

lol I knew I'd seen this before. As little comfort as this probably is, you'll probably be fine. Tbh you should ask your lawyers if would be worth counter-suing for legal fees, because this action from your employer seems to be pretty asinine and wholly vindictive. But definitely listen to the law person's advice over forums poster qhat.

qhat fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 2, 2019

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
hm, cheers. I guess we'll find out. I'm going freelance now so no legal department. very tempted to flee and go live in the woods. thanks though, lawyer people will call back today I'll see then

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i feel the fact that you have no stable source of income right now dramatically increases the chances of the case being thrown out with extreme prejudice. your old employer can't force you to work if you don't want to. the fact that your work wasn't completed is irrelevant, you still worked and gave them a 30 day headstart to find a replacement engineer with only 2 years exp (of which there are plenty) and they chose not to, i'm thinking you're looking pretty good.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am neither lawyer nor UK resident, but it would seem to me that if the contract says the notice period is 3 months, then it is 3 months :shrug:

Or to look at it from the opposite side, what would be your reaction if your company went "yeah, the notice period is 3 months, but we will only pay you for 1 because we feel like it"? I would sue them into the loving ground.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Xarn posted:

I am neither lawyer nor UK resident, but it would seem to me that if the contract says the notice period is 3 months, then it is 3 months :shrug:

Or to look at it from the opposite side, what would be your reaction if your company went "yeah, the notice period is 3 months, but we will only pay you for 1 because we feel like it"? I would sue them into the loving ground.

The rules are starkly different for companies and individuals. Just because it's in a contract does not mean it's enforcible, or that you deserve any arbitrary amount of compensation for breach of that contract. You only deserve that which you have lost financially as a direct result of the breach. The employer has to provide a verifiable amount of loss and justify that the employee directly caused that and that there was no reasonable way to avoid that. You also don't get to retroactively claim back wages you paid the employee because they breached the contract just because you weren't happy with their work, you could've fired them at any time.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've been in almost exactly the same situation (well except for being the primary embedded SW developer, posted about it on here too, though I did work the period despite what people here said) and, well, best of luck. I'm fairly certain I'd have gotten sued too if I didn't work every last day. Worked one more day even to make sure everything is handed over and I get a reasonable reference.

Annoyingly they were forcing me to work unpaid overtime almost every day but that's apparently fine because try proving that and not get screwed over.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 2, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

qhat posted:

i feel the fact that you have no stable source of income right now dramatically increases the chances of the case being thrown out with extreme prejudice. your old employer can't force you to work if you don't want to. the fact that your work wasn't completed is irrelevant, you still worked and gave them a 30 day headstart to find a replacement engineer with only 2 years exp (of which there are plenty) and they chose not to, i'm thinking you're looking pretty good.

This is incredibly untrue. Breach of contract does not give a poo poo about your circumstances it cares about what you legally did. Especially when your defence is 'I just didn't want to'

Thrown out with prejudice, jesus christ? For it to be unenforceable you'd have to prove it was unreasonable, for a startup and key member of staff 3 months is not that unreasonable.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 2, 2019

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
e.g. in my country 3 months is 100% standard and it would be weird if it was different

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Xarn posted:

e.g. in my country 3 months is 100% standard and it would be weird if it was different

In the UK it's not, it's usually 4 weeks, statutorily it's one week per year and only one week for the first two years from the employers side:

GOV.UK posted:

The statutory redundancy notice periods are:

at least one week’s notice if employed between one month and 2 years
one week’s notice for each year if employed between 2 and 12 years
12 weeks’ notice if employed for 12 years or more

though that is superseded by the contract

e:
for what it's worth Aramoro is in a management position in the UK, though he can be a bit harsh on developers

I wouldn't really want to work under him to be honest

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 2, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Private Speech posted:

e:
for what it's worth Aramoro is in a management position in the UK, though he can be a bit harsh on developers

I wouldn't really want to work under him to be honest

What? I'm a Software Engineer, I do line manage some folk but I'm not sure I'd call it a management position. I don't think I've ever been harsh on developers? I certainly don't intend it to come across that way at least.

Edit: Extra context, I've been sued for breach of contract by a previous employer which turned out to be an unenforceable non-compete clause. One thing you can't really do is ignore it especially if it's beyond a lawyers letter and to the point of them actually suing you.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 2, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Aramoro posted:

What? I'm a Software Engineer, I do line manage some folk but I'm not sure I'd call it a management position. I don't think I've ever been harsh on developers? I certainly don't intend it to come across that way at least.

Edit: Extra context, I've been sued for breach of contract by a previous employer which turned out to be an unenforceable non-compete clause. One thing you can't really do is ignore it especially if it's beyond a lawyers letter and to the point of them actually suing you.

it's just an impression I got from some of the things you've posted about the people you manage, I could be wrong, I'm sorry if it's offensive I didn't mean it to be

I suppose it's always different from the other side

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Private Speech posted:

it's just an impression I got from some of the things you've posted about the people you manage, I could be wrong, I'm sorry if it's offensive I didn't mean it to be

I suppose it's always different from the other side

I've managed to accidentally get myself in charge of ~*Code Quality*~ because I brought up that we should have some. It's like opening a sewer outlet of pure garbage code into your own face every morning. But my team hasn't checked in a single static analysis bug for 2 months now :toot: . We're going to go to an escape room to celebrate for reasons I have yet to work out.

The main people I hate at my work are the business analysts and higher management who keep pushing lovely stories into the teams then complaining when they don't get done.

Slightly more on topic, what I always tell folk is do the legal minimum for your employer and always assume they'll do the legal minimum for you. Maybe it'll be better but probably not.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 2, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gotta say, a three month notice period for a junior guy is pretty unusual over here, btw. One month would be about standard. Tends to go up with more senior people, but three months is like 'lead developer' kind of levels. Of course, if it's a small startup, you run way more risk of the guy running it being some kind of powermad/unreasonable nutcase and there being noone else to hold him back from nutcasing like this.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if it isn't always two weeks for employees and 0 minutes for employers

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

lol if it isn't always two weeks for employees and 0 minutes for employers

I mean it can be that too. A year or so ago when I was still working at $large_employer, everyone who was on a PIP or had had a negative performance evaluation got called into HR and they were gone that afternoon. They probably got paid, though.

(Then said employer flat closed the entire office I worked at, making me redundant. I, too, got paid)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

interviewing and recruiting is garbage: don’t make us tap the thread title

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I loving hate that everyone and their mother has differing opinions on resumes, and you have to luck into someone who agrees with how yours should be laid out.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

iospace posted:

I loving hate that everyone and their mother has differing opinions on resumes, and you have to luck into someone who agrees with how yours should be laid out.

very real

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

iospace posted:

https://i.imgur.com/wWKdo9r.jpg

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hey sailor...

:wink:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

iospace posted:

the plainest, blandest formatting possible. the goals are, in order: machine readability as a pdf, machine readability as a docx, and human skimmability. page count doesn't matter, font doesn't matter, objective statements don't matter

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Bloody posted:

font doesn't matter

Gonna do my next resume in Wingdings

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bloody posted:

the plainest, blandest formatting possible. the goals are, in order: machine readability as a pdf, machine readability as a docx, and human skimmability. page count doesn't matter, font doesn't matter, objective statements don't matter
resumes need to meet three criteria

1) enough of the right buzzwords so the hr machines will flag it as a potential contender for the position youre applying for

2) enough good stuff on the top half of the first page to interest an interviewer (because thats all theyre going to read before they sit down to interview you)

3) accurate enough so that if something goes sideways once youre hired hr/legal cant point to your resume/job application and say you misrepresented yourself

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

iospace posted:

If you're going through an agency then it doesn't matter as you'll get whatever lovely form they send them on in, artfully rearranged. To a large company probably doesn't matter too much either because HR will gently caress it up for you.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Treat it like a marketing document because it is a marketing document

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Treat it like a marketing document because it is a marketing document

most engineers and software folk are loving terrible at marketing though

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

hobbesmaster posted:

marketing folk are loving terrible

:yeah:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

most engineers and software folk are loving terrible at marketing though

Get someone else to do it then

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

FMguru posted:

2) enough good stuff on the top half of the first page to interest an interviewer (because thats all theyre going to read before they sit down to interview you)

this. i have to do the technical side of interview stuff and if i can't find anything worthwhile on the front page i'm mentally checking out during the interview and just thinking about templeos or rms. don't bother with any clubs or hobbies or personal poo poo because nobody cares about that, also toss a github link and say what you do/have done with enough detail to keep a technical person interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this. i have to do the technical side of interview stuff and if i can't find anything worthwhile on the front page i'm mentally checking out during the interview and just thinking about templeos or rms. don't bother with any clubs or hobbies or personal poo poo because nobody cares about that, also toss a github link and say what you do/have done with enough detail to keep a technical person interested
in my experience (as an interviewer and an interviewee) 90% of the people doing the interview just found out they were doing it 15 minutes beforehand (when their outlook calendar pinged a reminder at them), and the first time they've looked at your resume was when they picked it up from the laser printer while walking towards the interview room