Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Years ago there was a website called Internet Grudge Match or something similar. They would have fights between pop-culture characters (e.g. John McClane vs The Death Star) which would be decided on by fan vote and also have "humorous" entries from fans detailing how a chosen competitor would win the fight.

One time they had a Boba Fett vs Predator match and my first thought on seeing it was "...Who the gently caress is Boba Fett?", even though I had seen all three OT films many times. I then clicked on the link and seeing the picture and going "Oh, that guy! What a loser"

He easily won the fan vote because the internet makes you stupid, Predator would have kicked the poo poo out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I applaud Abrams for destroying both Trek and Wars

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

garycoleisgod posted:

Years ago there was a website called Internet Grudge Match or something similar. They would have fights between pop-culture characters (e.g. John McClane vs The Death Star) which would be decided on by fan vote and also have "humorous" entries from fans detailing how a chosen competitor would win the fight.

One time they had a Boba Fett vs Predator match and my first thought on seeing it was "...Who the gently caress is Boba Fett?", even though I had seen all three OT films many times. I then clicked on the link and seeing the picture and going "Oh, that guy! What a loser"

He easily won the fan vote because the internet makes you stupid, Predator would have kicked the poo poo out of him.

People loved the gently caress out of Boba Fett before the internet was even a meaningful thing.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I think it was in some old Cracked video but they talked about how, yeah, when you watch all the films in a row and take notes you realize Fett doesn't do much. But when the movies were first released the fans had all the time between Empire and ROTJ to think on this new character that Vader spoke to almost like a contemporary, which was kind of mind-blowing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like as a kid, there was something about Boba Fett that made him Evil Han Solo in my mind. I guess because he also had a cool ship

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like as a kid, there was something about Boba Fett that made him Evil Han Solo in my mind. I guess because he also had a cool ship

This is absolutely it, he was Han's Vader.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Han is a doofus. He had the greatest excuse ever for paying jabba late. "Hey bro I just stuck it to the space cops big time making it easier for you to keep doing space crimes." too bad phones or paypal dont exist in star war

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

banned from Starbucks posted:

Han is a doofus. He had the greatest excuse ever for paying jabba late. "Hey bro I just stuck it to the space cops big time making it easier for you to keep doing space crimes." too bad phones or paypal dont exist in star war

Wasn't it more about Jabba looking weak and vulnerable to the other crime lords and that's why he was so pissed at Han?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

banned from Starbucks posted:

"Hey, that's loving great. Not only have you still not paid me, now you've got our entire organization flagged as linked to a terrorist movement. Do we need to explain again that the key to smuggling is keeping a low profile? Being an accessory to the deaths of millions is not a low profile, you idiot!"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Due to her design/etc. before Force Awakens came out she was hyped up like she was to be the new Boba Fett in terms of badassness/etc.

She is.

They also made a big point out of her being the first female villain in Starwars. :allears:

So because I couldn't contain my curiosity:

wookiepedia posted:

However, Christie then began to worry about not being able to explore Phasma's backstory in the ninth installment given the strong possibility that Phasma would not return. The casting list for Episode IX released on July 27, 2018 didn't report Christie as returning. It was eventually confirmed by John Boyega at Celebration Chicago 2019 that Phasma indeed died in The Last Jedi aboard the Supremacy.
RIP Phasma, the first female villain in Starwars. We'll always remember you for your ability to fall down holes that can't even burp.

wookiepedia posted:

In her own words, she "campaigned hard" to be in The Force Awakens; the role interested her due to Phasma being a female character who was defined by her actions rather than her flesh. Christie was pleased that Phasma wore armor which wasn't sexualized and that her face was never revealed, which she felt was a modern and exciting concept.[38] She has called Phasma a very progressive female character, which she believes is a large part of her appeal to fans.[33]
I feel sad for Christie. :smith: I really wish Phasma was a better character. They even have some quotes that actually sound awesome. If only they'd actually done that. :( Seriously, if they'd just made TR-8R into her she would've stuck out as being memorable. She could've even survived the blast thanks to her reflective armor but then be blown clear. You could even let her role in TLJ be the exact same and she would've probably been bigger than Boba Fett.

To be fair, I was never that much into Boba Fett. But he had a cool armor, a jetpack, Darth Vaders respect and a unique ship. He caught Solo and got away with his frozen body and he tries to snipe Luke.

Meanwhile, Phasma had a cool armor. You can see where she falls short.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

"Hey, that's loving great. Not only have you still not paid me, now you've got our entire organization flagged as linked to a terrorist movement. Do we need to explain again that the key to smuggling is keeping a low profile? Being an accessory to the deaths of millions is not a low profile, you idiot!"

Han is an independent contractor not an official member of the Hutt cartel.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Timeless Appeal posted:

Nah, it was his uniform / armor and jetpack. Just... what a loving badass look...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Darth TNT posted:

They also made a big point out of her being the first female villain in Starwars. :allears:

So because I couldn't contain my curiosity:

RIP Phasma, the first female villain in Starwars. We'll always remember you for your ability to fall down holes that can't even burp.

I feel sad for Christie. :smith: I really wish Phasma was a better character. They even have some quotes that actually sound awesome. If only they'd actually done that. :( Seriously, if they'd just made TR-8R into her she would've stuck out as being memorable. She could've even survived the blast thanks to her reflective armor but then be blown clear. You could even let her role in TLJ be the exact same and she would've probably been bigger than Boba Fett.

To be fair, I was never that much into Boba Fett. But he had a cool armor, a jetpack, Darth Vaders respect and a unique ship. He caught Solo and got away with his frozen body and he tries to snipe Luke.

Meanwhile, Phasma had a cool armor. You can see where she falls short.

I think it’s important that girls get the message that they, too, can be petty, incompetent middle managers.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Dog posted:

I think it’s important that girls get the message that they, too, can be petty, incompetent middle managers.

Right: strong female characterization means strong writing. Does the character have an interesting psychology?

People have gotten it into their head that strong female characterization means physical strength and/or being a paragon of virtue, but that's not the point at all. You can have super-strong superhero characters that are really poorly written - which is the issue with Holdo and Rey. Or you can have really well-written characters that are incompetent or evil (i.e. Padme).

On top of this, Jyn Erso is well-written and competent.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right: strong female characterization means strong writing. Does the character have an interesting psychology?

People have gotten it into their head that strong female characterization means physical strength and/or being a paragon of virtue, but that's not the point at all. You can have super-strong superhero characters that are really poorly written - which is the issue with Holdo and Rey. Or you can have really well-written characters that are incompetent or evil (i.e. Padme).

On top of this, Jyn Erso is well-written and competent.

What's weird is that sometimes you get an interesting, well-written female character who isn't competent or otherwise sympathetic, but people retroactively decide that she is an empowering role model in order to justify liking them. I'm thinking specifically of Cersei on Game of Thrones. You have people online saying stuff like, "She works hard! She knows what she wants! Nobody takes her seriously, but she gets back at them in the end," but really she was just the only remotely interesting character in the show for years.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

pospysyl posted:

What's weird is that sometimes you get an interesting, well-written female character who isn't competent or otherwise sympathetic, but people retroactively decide that she is an empowering role model in order to justify liking them. I'm thinking specifically of Cersei on Game of Thrones. You have people online saying stuff like, "She works hard! She knows what she wants! Nobody takes her seriously, but she gets back at them in the end," but really she was just the only remotely interesting character in the show for years.

That point about Cersei is really spot on. Part of the reason she was a good character (especially in the books) was just how spiteful, petty, and incompetent she is. But fans loved to hate her so much the show has tried to turn her into some kind of hyper-competent machiavellian master who is possibly a stand in for the neoliberal idealized version of Hillary Clinton.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You can have super-strong superhero characters that are really poorly written - which is the issue with Holdo and Rey.

To reinforce this point, I had to wrack my brain to remember who Holdo was, even after reading this while thread and the other one.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

High Lord Elbow posted:

To reinforce this point, I had to wrack my brain to remember who Holdo was, even after reading this while thread and the other one.

How is this a problem with the movie and not like, just you being an idiot?

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

galagazombie posted:

That point about Cersei is really spot on. Part of the reason she was a good character (especially in the books) was just how spiteful, petty, and incompetent she is. But fans loved to hate her so much the show has tried to turn her into some kind of hyper-competent machiavellian master who is possibly a stand in for the neoliberal idealized version of Hillary Clinton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tivOFGxFGys

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

How is this a problem with the movie and not like, just you being an idiot?

Do you feel better now that you said something mean on the internet?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Holdo and Game of Thrones's classic character, Hodor, should have been combined into one character in both projects.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

porfiria posted:

Holdo and Game of Thrones's classic character, Hodor, should have been combined into one character in both projects.

Holy poo poo that would be beautiful to behold. I mean, not beautiful enough to sit through TLJ a third time and it would totally ruin GoT, but beautiful in theory.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Combine this past week’s Paul Saltines/Matt Smith rumor with this, and there might be something there:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
please no

-- me, reacting to nearly everything I've heard about this film after enjoying episode eight

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
drat, they've been leaving breadcrumbs? And they're tying Moomins into the canon? That Pablo Hidalgo sure can weave a dream!

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Adlai Stevenson posted:

please no

-- me, reacting to nearly everything I've heard about this film after enjoying episode eight

yea that sounds like absolute loving dogshit

It makes my fanboy stories from third grade or whatever sound like a Best Original Screenplay nominee

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
By interesting do you mean hilariously similar in quality to the old EU?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gonz posted:

Combine this past week’s Paul Saltines/Matt Smith rumor with this, and there might be something there:

Please no, just have Palpatine alive.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

So excited that Moonman is going to have a role in this catastrophe.

George Lucas was too much of a coward to use him in the original trilogy or any of the prequels.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Surely JJ is just loving with us with this Palpatine stuff

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

General Dog posted:

Surely JJ is just loving with us with this Palpatine stuff

Depends.

If somebody asks him about this, using specifics, and he denies it, it's probably real.

"Benedict Cumberbatch is definitely not playing Khan!"

Okay, JJ. Uh huh.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Gonz posted:

What breadcrumbs? There are no breadcrumbs in the films itself. If anything, TLJ basically shat on that idea. It could've worked if TLJ and the Force Awakens were more in line with eachother.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If they literally called it "the MacGuffin" within the movie itself, that would be the only redeemable part of the idea.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
It's true. The "fluffy dice" is called a MacGuffin in SW universe.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
"Truly, Rey, this was to be your Hero's Journey."

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
“Truly, We have become a rise of skywalkers: a Star Wars movie (out in theatres this christmas 2019!)”

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
https://twitter.com/TheWookieeRoars/status/1124077256240967681

Bummer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

God dammit.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Gonz posted:

So, Kylo Ren's 'Finish what you started' back in TFA is going to mean, like, Vader killing Palpatine, right? Ren'll say that he always knew Snoke was Palpatine and that'll lead to the redemption story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

So, Kylo Ren's 'Finish what you started' back in TFA is going to mean, like, Vader killing Palpatine, right? Ren'll say that he always knew Snoke was Palpatine and that'll lead to the redemption story.

I know that he's headed toward some sort of redemption but I don't see how they can square it with him committing patricide, attempt matricide and a bunch of galactic genocides to trick empire into letting his guard down. I guess its going to be "without the love of Rey" I wouldn't have turned good, just like Vader seemingly wouldnt have turned without the spectacle of his son?

"Hitler was just misunderstood" and with enough love, ect,ect