Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Failson posted:

I keep pinching myself, because Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah all look like themselves. Yes, they've been updated, but they're all recognizably those characters. It's so awesome.

Like, look at the Sonic fiasco. There are so many ways the designs could have been ruined.

Even Godzilla looks EVEN MORE like Godzilla than before.

It's just really nice to have something be respected but still updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

I'm cumming but also make that Jet Jaguar not Ultraman.

Same except make it Titan Maximum.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://youtu.be/8czak8Kaq3A

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Just give me the drat Ifukube King Ghidorah theme at the start of the scene where he starts wrecking the most things and I might found a cult for you, Creative Team of This Movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0CDA-ELlJs

Just gimme that cymbal build and kick those horns up and make it sound like the world is loving ending. I love that loving song.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I'm real tempted to do a rewatch of the entire Godzilla back catalogue in the lead up to King Of The Monsters, starting from '54 and plowing right through.

Who else is in?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't have that kinda time, so I'm thinking of just watching a few. I don't remember too many of the later Heisei movies, so I'm thinking at least Godzilla vs Mothra and Gidorah The Three Headed Monster.

Then I was thinking of '84, Biolante, Destroyah. Then the MechaGodzilla Millenium movies.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't have that kinda time, so I'm thinking of just watching a few. I don't remember too many of the later Heisei movies, so I'm thinking at least Godzilla vs Mothra and Gidorah The Three Headed Monster.

Then I was thinking of '84, Biolante, Destroyah. Then the MechaGodzilla Millenium movies.
For what it’s worth Rolfe did a recommended intro to the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8czak8Kaq3A

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've seen most if not all of the Godzilla movies, just that some stick out more than others. James's recommendations are pretty good.

I wish they'd rerelease Godzilla 2014 and fix the dark colors. I saw it three times in theaters, it wasn't nearly as dark as the home release.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

david_a posted:

For what it’s worth Rolfe did a recommended intro to the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8czak8Kaq3A

Yeah, this got me to rewatch some of the old ones. I put on Space Godzilla yesterday as it's the one I missed and yeesh, it's real loving bad. So goddamn 90s. :lol: Had to turn it off as my gf came by and I won't do this to her.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really wish I hadn't sold my bluray copy of Biollante. I didn't expect it to go out of print and get so expensive.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy moley. Glad I bought it when it was $8.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm tempted to do like a marathon or something, but I've been planning a podcast watching through the entire series and this might be the motivation to finally get it off the ground.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm real tempted to do a rewatch of the entire Godzilla back catalogue in the lead up to King Of The Monsters, starting from '54 and plowing right through.

Who else is in?

If you have to pick 5, for your health, they should probably be

1) Mothra vs Godzilla
2) Ghidorah
3) Monster Zero
4) Final Wars
5) Kong: Skull Island

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Who else is in?

I think I'm doing this as well. I've got a pretty wide assortment of movies on DVD and a few on Blu-Ray. Maybe I'll catalogue in this thread as I go.

K. Waste posted:

If you have to pick 5, for your health, they should probably be

1) Mothra vs Godzilla
2) Ghidorah
3) Monster Zero
4) Final Wars
5) Kong: Skull Island

Shin Godzilla should definitely, absolutely be in there if you're only going to watch 5

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

K. Waste posted:

If you have to pick 5, for your health

I'm not worried about my health.

My body is ready.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Shin Godzilla should definitely, absolutely be in there if you're only going to watch 5

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

If you had to cut it down to five, I’d pick:

1. Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster
2. Mothra vs. Godzilla
3. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
4. Shin Godzilla
5. War of the Gargantuas

There’s no Godzilla in the last one, but it’s one of the best Toho kaiju movies from that era.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a good Godzilla spotify playlist? I made one but it feels half assed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1124010672201850883

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

NEITHER CAN I

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Personal top five:
1. Destroy all Monsters
2. Invasion of Astro Monster
3. vs. Smog Monster
4. vs. Gigan (yes, I know)
5. Vs. Space Godzilla (again, I know)

Not a Kaiju movie, but Matango is up on prime video, a good, creepy little Toho monster movie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Failson posted:

Personal top five:
1. Destroy all Monsters
3. vs. Smog Monster

Not a Kaiju movie, but Matango is up on prime video, a good, creepy little Toho monster movie.

What the gently caress

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Failson posted:

Personal top five:
1. Destroy all Monsters
3. vs. Smog Monster

Who hurt you?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

DeimosRising posted:

What the gently caress

I'm not gonna shame a man for liking goofy-rear end monster movies. Let him do him.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I mean, I'm a G fan but most of the movies are objectively... not so good. I could not muster a list that isnt based on subjective warm and fuzzy feels I get.

With a few exceptions I don't think there's huge quality disparities in the franchise and comparing them is splitting hairs. Like Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster is a common fan favorite. Seems trivial to chuckle at someone who likes Vs. Space Godzilla better. They're all goofy as hell.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

My godzilla watch list is the fragments of collection I own + what is on criterion channel, so....

Rodan
Godzilla 1954
Godzilla Raids Again
Mothra
Mothra vs Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla
All Monsters Attack
Kong: Skull Island
Godzilla 1984
Shin Godzilla
Godzilla 2014

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I mean, I'm a G fan but most of the movies are objectively... not so good.

If we're counting alternate cuts, a narrow majority of Godzilla movies are at least pretty good.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Failson posted:

Personal top five:
1. Destroy all Monsters
3. vs. Smog Monster

I support your vs. Gigan

I would have vs. Megalon in mine.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gigan would be on my favorites list. I watched it approximately 500 times as a kid and I can't help but think of it as one of the most memorable and entertaining Showa films as a result.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Mantis42 posted:

Gigan would be on my favorites list. I watched it approximately 500 times as a kid and I can't help but think of it as one of the most memorable and entertaining Showa films as a result.

I guess it depends on what video stores had when you were a kid. I saw G85 and Gigan a fair bit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will watch every Godzilla movie that I haven't watched in the past year more than once in the month leading up to this movie

In unrelated subjects does anyone happen to have a link to Cozzilla because I lost mine a few years back

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Burkion posted:

In unrelated subjects does anyone happen to have a link to Cozzilla because I lost mine a few years back

https://archive.org/details/CozzillaRestoredGenoCuddy

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Some one made a restored version? Kick rear end!

Last one I saw was the original rip which was not fairing so well

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1124071066387787779

I kinda want the godzilla xbox guys

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just watched Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991).

I really wanna be a fly on the wall at the meeting where they decided to follow up vs. Biollante with an explicitly pro-uyoku-dantai movie. Like, holy poo poo, what?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I just watched Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991).

I really wanna be a fly on the wall at the meeting where they decided to follow up vs. Biollante with an explicitly pro-uyoku-dantai movie. Like, holy poo poo, what?

Hey at least the dude who thought Godzilla was his friend because he saved them from Americans got his rear end fried for being a moron.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hey at least the dude who thought Godzilla was his friend because he saved them from Americans got his rear end fried for being a moron.

uh... I think you might have interpreted that differently than I did

it kind of seemed like some kind of poo poo where he and Godzilla share a moment of understanding, with Godzilla recognizing him as the guy who saluted him in 1944, and giving him a "good" death

that's actually part of why I high-key hate this movie's politics, because that dude is basically treated as one of the heroes all the way through

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, yeah, the part of the movie where Emmy discovers that she loves nationalism is just one avenue of the overall narrative. The other one is of Godzilla itself, who stands in for the actual enemy of the human characters: Not somebody who is coded as a Western imperialist or whatever, but in fact this liminal creature that is both indigenous and foreign, a unique product of post-war imperialism while also essentially bound up in Japanese national and cultural identity, who can't possibly fit into a paradigmatic opposition between nationalist bromides and some insidious super-power, and because of that poses the most distinct existential threat. Sure, it hates Ghidorah and the Futurians, but it also hates you. It blames you for its current condition. And it turns out that this hatred is completely justified. You wouldn't have been able to fend off the Futurians and Ghidorah without Godzilla as a cudgel - but, oh, now suddenly it turns out Godzilla is the problem, so you're going to bring Ghidorah back to kill Godzilla.

There's this entire meta-narrative operating throughout the film, also, which is that everybody is lying about what Japan's actual future is. First the Futurians, including Emmy, say that Godzilla is going to destroy Japan, that they just want to destroy Godzilla so that the nation will survive. Then Emmy turns coat and says, Oh, actually, Japan is going to be a super-power in the future, and the real reason they came back was to give you Ghidorah so that you would be destroyed before that happens - basically all of Japan is John Connor. But then Emmy goes back to the future, and we find out, no, Japan really is destroyed in the future, just not by Godzilla. Things only gets more confusing when you realize that the Futurians who Emmy comes back with are actually defectors who oppose the Futurian U.N. Even amongst themselves, nobody actually agrees or truly knows what Japan's future is, or what leads to it, despite having come from that moment.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

uh... I think you might have interpreted that differently than I did

it kind of seemed like some kind of poo poo where he and Godzilla share a moment of understanding, with Godzilla recognizing him as the guy who saluted him in 1944, and giving him a "good" death

that's actually part of why I high-key hate this movie's politics, because that dude is basically treated as one of the heroes all the way through

Godzilla recognizes him, and then blows him up.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's a whole weird economic aspect to the movie as well- this was just as Japan's massive real estate bubble was giving way to a long, protracted economic collapse. So the thing that "saved" Japan then starts destroying it.

(I'm not sure of the exact situation in 1991, though- the market peaked in late '89 but I get the feeling it took a while for reality to set in. Like how the US real estate bubble popped in '06 but it took until '08 for the entire economy to tank.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Did any of the other Heisei movies have such overtly political subplots? I can't think of any.