Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have bought a grand total of one Funko pop in my life, a Michonne from Walking Dead for my mom who's both a TWD nut and loves tacky poo poo.

I was expecting the Funko Dredd comic to be awful and was pretty surprised to find out it's basically Marvel Adventures Dredd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's just been announced that Dredd co-creator Carlos Ezquerra has passed away aged 70. I'm not able to imagine a world without him in it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jedit posted:

It's just been announced that Dredd co-creator Carlos Ezquerra has passed away aged 70. I'm not able to imagine a world without him in it.
I know. He's unique in mainstream comics because his style is dirty, yet always perfectly clear in its storytelling. And more than anyone else, Ezquerra created the look of Dredd's world; he designed the uniform (which even now is just a bulked-up tweak of his original), the bike and the gun, and without his wild background designs for giant buildings Mega-City One would have merely been a dystopian near-future New York; Pat Mills moved the setting forward by a century after seeing them.

Then there's everything else he drew as well, not least Strontium Dog. drat, he'll be missed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just read Final Judgement, the movie Dredd version of the Dark Judges. Fascinatingly different.

Meanwhile, IDW have gone straight for the throat in Toxic by having Dredd go face to face with Trump.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Since there's a Dredd thread up, gotta post. Judge Dredd rules! I myself do recommend giving a try to reading it all in order, to anybody interested, though skipping or skimming stuff that doesn't interest you makes sense too. I myself did skip much of the Ennis/Millar stuff from the early 90s. And I found the first year of so of the comic pre-Cursed Earth and Day The Law Died was mostly not quite there yet. But overall it's one of the most solid, consistently excellent comics ever published, and I wouldn't skip anything by John Wagner myself, or Carlos Ezquerra.

Granted I'm at this moment years behind, and I've been reading this comic for about 11 years, so this may be a longer term way of doing it. But man, great stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sad news: Ron Smith, who illustrated many Dredd stories between 1979 and 1994 and the complete run of the Daily Star strips, passed away on 10th January aged 94.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

He was a great visual storyteller, those six page segments of The Graveyard Shift for example got a lot across.

A new story by John Wagner started in 2000AD prog 2115 by the way, so cool to be able to have that from 1977 to today.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

He was a great visual storyteller, those six page segments of The Graveyard Shift for example got a lot across.

A new story by John Wagner started in 2000AD prog 2115 by the way, so cool to be able to have that from 1977 to today.

Just read through Graveyard Shift this morning on my commute. drat.

On this reread I am remembering just how ridiculous the future crises are. Eventually you feel like there isn't even anything left to destroy in the series as it just gets hammered again and again by population destroying events. But drat are those first few ones amazing.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Jedit posted:

Sad news: Ron Smith, who illustrated many Dredd stories between 1979 and 1994 and the complete run of the Daily Star strips, passed away on 10th January aged 94.

Only just picked this up but that's sad news. He did some amazing artwork.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

biglads posted:

Only just picked this up but that's sad news. He did some amazing artwork.

I'm on a full re-read of the Case Files and I just got to a volume where about half of it was illustrated by Ezquerra, Smith, Steve Dillon and John Hicklenton. Man, that was depressing.

Currently on CF19, so I'm about to run out of Smith. He was as good as ever up to the end.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ron Smith was one of the underrated classic Dredd artists: nobody drew large-scale chaos and collateral damage like him. He also drew the citizens of MC1 at their grotesque finest. RIP. :smith:

That's Brett Ewins, Steve Dillon, Carlos Ezquerra and now Ron Smith gone...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Ron Smith was one of the underrated classic Dredd artists: nobody drew large-scale chaos and collateral damage like him. He also drew the citizens of MC1 at their grotesque finest. RIP. :smith:

That's Brett Ewins, Steve Dillon, Carlos Ezquerra and now Ron Smith gone...

It's been 42 years, if you stop to think it isn't surprising that the first generation of 2000AD are all gone or retired. Looking back at CF1 all six artists are no longer working - Ezquerra was the last still in the business. Now he, John Cooper and Massimo Belardinelli are dead, while Mike McMahon, Ian Gibson and Brian Bolland stopped publishing six or seven years ago.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's why it's so cool and inspiring to me that John Wagner is still writing there (though less often), has a weekly sequel to the old Mechanismo storyline going right now. Pat Mills also still writes there. Pretty unprecedented, 40+ years of Wagner largely steering the Judge Dredd ship. Beautiful stuff.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
When Wagner came back from his 90s hiatus, he all but ignored everything the new guard had done if he didn't like it. Bad guys blew up the Statue of Judgement? Nope!

And he's still the Dredd writer even after all these years. If he changes something in the strip, it matters. poo poo, he's just started the death clock for Hershey after having her quit as Chief Judge, and she's been a mainstay since The Judge Child in 1980!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

When Wagner came back from his 90s hiatus, he all but ignored everything the new guard had done if he didn't like it. Bad guys blew up the Statue of Judgement? Nope!

And he's still the Dredd writer even after all these years. If he changes something in the strip, it matters. poo poo, he's just started the death clock for Hershey after having her quit as Chief Judge, and she's been a mainstay since The Judge Child in 1980!

Wagner has said that he probably won't see the end of Dredd in his lifetime since the storyline where Dredd was forced to undertake rejuvenation treatment. But he has said he wants to write the script for the final story and will it to Rebellion, so it's possible that he'll break Lee Falk's record of writing the same character for 65 years.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

They had a few of the Complete Case Files at my library, and I got so hooked I bought the ones they didn't have.

Anyone else notice Dredd becomes more of an rear end in a top hat after Apocalypse War and starts mellowing out in the events leading up to Necropolis?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

They had a few of the Complete Case Files at my library, and I got so hooked I bought the ones they didn't have.

Anyone else notice Dredd becomes more of an rear end in a top hat after Apocalypse War and starts mellowing out in the events leading up to Necropolis?

I don't know about more of an rear end in a top hat about Apocalypse War, I think that was just leaning into what was becoming his standard characterization. On the other hand, his softening in the lead up to Necropolis was definitely part of an ongoing storyline.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Dredd has become fractionally more liberal and tolerant in his old age (when Wagner's writing him, at least). Problem is, any time he actually tries to do something to improve the system and make it a little more about justice than merely law, it has horrible unforeseen consequences. Small wonder he's always so pissed off.

About the only thing he's done along those lines without hideous blowback has been getting Beeny promoted to the Council of Five, she managing to be both his best protégée and a reformer in a way that he never can and never will, but there's plenty of time for things to fall apart.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

SardonicTyrant posted:

Apocalypse War is was a "If we're dying we're gonna gently caress these guys to death" level Dredd, but somewhere after, there is a series of shorts about a group trying to promote a more open Democracy that of course gets squashed by the Judges. It plays out over a couple of stories and years through the Surf Race with Chopper until Necropolis sets off.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Another part of that is in the 80s John Wagner and Alan Grant were co-writing, Alan Grant brought a bit more of that full on fascist aspect of Dredd. They had disagreements on stuff around the Oz storyline in 88, then that late 80s stuff into Necropolis is all Wagner. I prefer Wagner's take, a bit more nuanced and a bit of pathos to ol' stony-face. Though him being both the good guy or bad guy relative to the story is always a good aspect.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

That's why it's so cool and inspiring to me that John Wagner is still writing there (though less often), has a weekly sequel to the old Mechanismo storyline going right now. Pat Mills also still writes there. Pretty unprecedented, 40+ years of Wagner largely steering the Judge Dredd ship. Beautiful stuff.

It's also a sequel to a robot judge story from like two years ago! It's so good, I love that Dredd can't abide robot judges partly because they're, ironically, not cold unfeelong justice machines

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

Dredd has become fractionally more liberal and tolerant in his old age (when Wagner's writing him, at least). Problem is, any time he actually tries to do something to improve the system and make it a little more about justice than merely law, it has horrible unforeseen consequences. Small wonder he's always so pissed off.

About the only thing he's done along those lines without hideous blowback has been getting Beeny promoted to the Council of Five, she managing to be both his best protégée and a reformer in a way that he never can and never will, but there's plenty of time for things to fall apart.

Dredd also only budges when forced. Tour of Duty doesn't happen without Fargo telling him the system is hosed up AND Dredd meeting his cousins

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's also a sequel to a robot judge story from like two years ago! It's so good, I love that Dredd can't abide robot judges partly because they're, ironically, not cold unfeelong justice machines

Hell yeah, I just read that ol' Mechanismo storyline from the 90s recently too. Plus let's not forget Walter the Wobot, that guy was pretty funny. I love that these story threads stay in continuity and get built on for decades.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 30, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Case Files 33 came out last week, if anyone missed it. We're now only 18 years behind, woo!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jedit posted:

Case Files 33 came out last week, if anyone missed it. We're now only 18 years behind, woo!

Right on, it's not out on Amazon until the end of May, I see a couple on Ebay though. When that pile of books is complete-ish it will be quite the thing. It could probably fall over and maim somebody.

I've got one of those plastic industrial waffle shelf thingies and its bending a bit, I believe graphic novels are the heaviest element.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

In eight more toull be roughly to the best run the series has ever had

Tour of Duty is the perfect Dredd story

Fight me cowards

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Heavy Metal posted:

Another part of that is in the 80s John Wagner and Alan Grant were co-writing, Alan Grant brought a bit more of that full on fascist aspect of Dredd. They had disagreements on stuff around the Oz storyline in 88, then that late 80s stuff into Necropolis is all Wagner. I prefer Wagner's take, a bit more nuanced and a bit of pathos to ol' stony-face. Though him being both the good guy or bad guy relative to the story is always a good aspect.
The first story after Oz, 'Hitman', is credited to Wagner and Grant, but IIRC it's Wagner going solo. He doesn't waste any time setting out his stall, because it's the first time I can remember that Dredd is portrayed as vulnerable in a very human way (he spends two-thirds of the story hospitalised and weak after major trauma, expressing doubt in both himself and the whole system, and is clearly depressed)... yet despite this, he never for one moment is anything but himself. It's a small, understated, but actually quite important story as far as Dredd's character development goes, because it gets to develop.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Payndz posted:

The first story after Oz, 'Hitman', is credited to Wagner and Grant, but IIRC it's Wagner going solo. He doesn't waste any time setting out his stall, because it's the first time I can remember that Dredd is portrayed as vulnerable in a very human way (he spends two-thirds of the story hospitalised and weak after major trauma, expressing doubt in both himself and the whole system, and is clearly depressed)... yet despite this, he never for one moment is anything but himself. It's a small, understated, but actually quite important story as far as Dredd's character development goes, because it gets to develop.

I think that is one thing that gets lost in chowing down on these Case Files is how much time in reality passed between stories. I'm sure when Dredd took the long walk pre-Necropolis it was akin to Superman eating it that first time but it is hard to feel those stakes when you know there are 40 more volumes after it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^burtle posted:

I think that is one thing that gets lost in chowing down on these Case Files is how much time in reality passed between stories. I'm sure when Dredd took the long walk pre-Necropolis it was akin to Superman eating it that first time but it is hard to feel those stakes when you know there are 40 more volumes after it.

I was reading 2000AD weekly when Dredd took the hike. I honestly thought they were going to replace the original with Kraken, and I wish they'd kept that up for a couple of years at least. Kraken never got the chance to try hard enough that his eventual failure meant anything - certainly not as much as it could have.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hot take necropolis sucks

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's of my favs, a masterpiece I'd say. Plus that watercolor-y looking color Carlos art, that arc is like the best movie ever made. Except it's a comic, which is cool too.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hot take necropolis sucks

i'm not mad about this but curious as to the reasoning

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Does anyone know which case file contains the first time simping is mentioned? I need it for a pet project.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

11, I think.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Dredd also only budges when forced. Tour of Duty doesn't happen without Fargo telling him the system is hosed up AND Dredd meeting his cousins

i think this is a little reductive

it's not just people telling him poo poo needs to change, it's also him realizing they're right, of his own accord. Fargo telling him poo poo's hosed is the tipping point, but it doesn't have any effect without Dredd starting to be worn down by the brutality of the system himself and beginning to waver on his faith in it

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Just read Judgement Day. Kinda gonna miss Sabbat.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
bruce sprinste

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Re-reading the collected Day Of Chaos for no particular reason, certainly nothing to do with current events.

Mega-City One may be a fascistic dystopia, but at least it made its disease testing kits free to all...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

It definitely feels like the whole setting gets harsher for a while. Judges do a lot more killing where an earlier story makes a point that a Judge isn't allowed to just kill a guy when attempting to arrest him and Dredd's home life just kind of completely vanishes for a long time with Maria disappearing from the story and Walter getting smashed by Mean Machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love it whenever Walter turned up for a cameo or shorter story here and there after that. Ditto for Max Normal, the pinstripe freak. Some of these characters are just always good, in any tone or era.