Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It had nothing to do with nutrition science. It was because he is a paid shill. Did you actually watch his presentation?

OK, I really only care about the science and policy sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Fridge is low humidity and dries the skin out nicely.

This, and it works great on pork chops and streaks. Salt, fridge, overnight, crispy outside.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Doesn't he refuse to shake hands with fans or something. Though shaking hundreds of hands probably sucks.

this is good, and comes from working in a kitchen. show me a famous chef who shakes everyone's hand and I'll show you a chef who sometimes sends out food with his fans' poop on it

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Ha, I was just reflecting on GE: Reloaded and thought of this thread. I was a Good Eats superfan but didn't really latch onto his subsequent gigs. I like the concept with Reloaded and am looking forward to the new season, but I will say he seems to have gotten a bit fussier this time around, like with the pie episode or the pressure cooker one...just use an Instant Pot, dude. His updated brownie technique is legit, though.

I liked Salt Fat Acid Heat; Samin is very sweet yet you can tell she is serious about cooking. Contrast that with Cooked; I watched the first episode and disliked Michael Pollan intensely throughout. It largely came across as boomer.mp4 to me.

I've also been bouncing around the seasons of Parts Unknown that are available on Netflix. Mostly I just end up bummed out that Bourdain is gone. I really liked the more human-focused approach he took with the series. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Laterite posted:

I've also been bouncing around the seasons of Parts Unknown that are available on Netflix. Mostly I just end up bummed out that Bourdain is gone. I really liked the more human-focused approach he took with the series. :(

I watched the Hanoi one a couple of days ago, and it very nearly brought me to tears. :smith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bourdain is probably the only person on the planet to bring Obama to a hole in the wall for an interview. And then proceed to just talk about their kids and eating strategies for the noodles. And yeah I legit started swelling when I saw Obama could use chopsticks.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I just want a food competition show where the people aren't assholes, and it has to be low-stakes too. Masterchef AU is nice but I got tired of watching people come to tears every elimination round.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

2020 is the year of the Hot Ones political interview

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 23, 2019

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Laterite posted:

I'm astounded by its capacity to teach me things. The episode about Trinidad (where my entire family is from) had tons of stuff that I had no idea about.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

I just want a food competition show where the people aren't assholes, and it has to be low-stakes too. Masterchef AU is nice but I got tired of watching people come to tears every elimination round.

Chef and my fridge. They have started to be more guest focus than before but still a real solid show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tired Moritz posted:

Nailed It! Is pretty low key like that. The bakers know they’re not the best, and the judges laugh with the contestants rather than at them. It’s not harsh in any way.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
Lately via youtube I've been watching:

Best Ever Food Review Show - surprisingly decent travel/food show with a slightly less cringy host than most other of the genre.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sonnysidevideos/

Highway on My Plate / Food Mad - popular Indian travel/food show where a duo explores the roadside dhabas / major cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWPoAPoewFo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0gTSYXe8o8

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Tired Moritz posted:

That's why people watch Great British Bakeoff imo. I personally don't find it very engaging.

The Final Table, new on Netflix, is pretty chill. I mean people want to win, but they all respect the other competitors, and because they come in in teams, there's a lot of positive "I love him so much, he's just amazing, his skill at x is incredible." No fights iirc.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Anne Whateley posted:

That's why people watch Great British Bakeoff imo. I personally don't find it very engaging.

The Final Table, new on Netflix, is pretty chill. I mean people want to win, but they all respect the other competitors, and because they come in in teams, there's a lot of positive "I love him so much, he's just amazing, his skill at x is incredible." No fights iirc.

I think I mentioned it itt already but the other thing I liked about it is all the chefs know what they’re doing so you don’t have to watch them hand in a dish already knowing it’s trash, which is something that always bums me out with shows like Chopped and Sweet Genius.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Sex Hobbit posted:

Also my mom uses Alton's brined turkey recipe for Thanksgiving every year and it is the best.

Same here, except I deep fry it instead of the oven.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah, gonna echo the recommendation for Chef and My Fridge. The competition is pretty much just for bragging rights, there's no elimination BS, and even the trashtalking is more funny and good-natured than anything else - mainly since the usual topic of ridicule is the state of the guests' fridges.

E: The Gordon Ramsay episode of Hot Ones is finally out, and it's a hoot.

anakha fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 24, 2019

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

poverty goat posted:

2020 is the year of the Hot Ones political interview

Hot Ones just started season 8 with Gordon Ramsay as the guest. It’s an absolute loving train wreck.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Shrapnig posted:

Hot Ones just started season 8 with Gordon Ramsay as the guest. It’s an absolute loving train wreck.

What does that need?
Hot sauce?
:ramsay:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's one of the few to point out that the chicken wings are trash and overcooked. They should start cooking them fresh instead of buying it at a supermarket.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Which is funny because he likes to berate people for pointing out the obvious.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Tired Moritz posted:

Knife Fight is incredible. People are really great to each other - there's sometimes a little teasing and good-natured heckling, but it's never mean-spirited or over the line. It's a shorter format show, with each episode being totally separate from the rest, it's not a season-based thing like Top Chef. The host is great, and the show is hosted in his restaurant after hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9jO0zJJAbI

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Knife Fight was wonderful. Actually learnt stuff. Plus I wanted all their plates and bowls.

Another great show, where the chefs help each other, is The Great British Menu. Which I think somehow has seasons on both Netflix and Hulu. really recommend it. It's all about pride in their own work and there's nothing but respect amongst them.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Man, I am so loving sick of Babish flooding my recs. Someone end this man, please.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Borsche69 posted:

Man, I am so loving sick of Babish flooding my recs. Someone end this man, please.

I like the original, but his whole loving "Being With Babish" New Show BS can go die in a fire.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

His videos just reminds me of snooty places like Williams Sonoma

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yessssssss

https://twitter.com/NailedIt/status/1120719088718761984

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Chef and my fridge. They have started to be more guest focus than before but still a real solid show.

Chef and My Fridge is a really fun show. Kim Poong was on another Korean show called "The Genius", and he's probably my favorite of the chefs for his unique take on convenience store food in a couple episodes.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

toplitzin posted:

I like the original, but his whole loving "Being With Babish" New Show BS can go die in a fire.

That poo poo really stepped over the line. Plus his Basics With Babish vids are also just straight up ripping off Seriouseats/Food Wishes without any testing or innovation on his part. Also they aren't necessarily "basics". It's just annoying all around. Stick to doing the drat pop culture recipes. I feel like he's trying to build a media empire and it's aggravating.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

He’s absolutely trying to build an empire, but I won’t begrudge him chasing that paper. I refuse to watch his “lifestyle” videos and very rarely watch the “basic” videos, but well-produced videos based on solid recipes that show people how easy cooking can be is fine by me.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Al Roker was on Back to Back Chef on Bon Appetit's channel and it's pretty great.

How does Bon Appetit not have it's own TV channel yet?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grem posted:

Al Roker was on Back to Back Chef on Bon Appetit's channel and it's pretty great.

A lot of their content has shown up on Amazon Prime lately, I don't know how that's monetized but I have to think it's preferable to having a whole cable channel these days.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Grem posted:

Al did awesome and was actually really funny. Best performance yet on that series.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mu Zeta posted:

He's one of the few to point out that the chicken wings are trash and overcooked. They should start cooking them fresh instead of buying it at a supermarket.

This is one slow moving thread so I dont know if you'll see this, but I want to say sean said they get them at a neighborhood wing stop. I've never been there so I cant speak to the quality of the wings, but I'd have a hard time believing any wing would be palatable after being individually dressed during prep and whatnot.

Rachel Ray did a pro move by just eating the sauces imo. Room temp gummy wings have to be so disgusting.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

It's funny that you mention they come in teams when the only reason Timothy won is because he is friends and former co-workers with Grant who stood at the "final table" campaigning for his buddy to win.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah I wasn't happy with the ending either. I think I was only like halfway through the season when I posted that. I still like the concept of the show, and I hope they do a little cleanup and make another season.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Grem posted:

It's pretty amazing, we've talked about the series of Claire getting tortured trying to recreate junk food, right?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Once again, this season of Nailed It! has made me cry with laughter. Highly recommended viewing, y’all.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
They show Food Network in the cafeteria at work. Pioneer Woman is on and it’s a... funeral episode? It cuts from the husband building a graveyard for his mother to Pioneer Woman cheerfully cooking a cobbler.

I feel like I’m in some kind of Creepy Pasta nightmare.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched about 10 minutes of Masterchef and turned it off. I want to like it but for some reason it disgusts me, maybe the overwhelming falseness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ymmv but while I can't stand the audition episodes in the beginning, I find it gets more tolerable when they get into the normal weekly stuff. Might be worth a shot if you really do want to like it.