Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

screaden posted:

Is eugenics guy in St Denis programmed to not generate any wanted reaction? I blew his head off with a shotgun in direct view of the cops and nothing happened which was hilarious. The citizens didn't even scream and run away it was like they all collectively thought "I'm glad someone had the balls to do that".

Yeah you can murder the dude beside a cop and they don't give a poo poo. You don't lose honour either I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Pretty sure when I murdered all the KKK members with a stick of dynamite I didn't lose any honor either.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Spalec posted:

Pretty sure when I murdered all the KKK members with a stick of dynamite I didn't lose any honor either.

You actually gain honor.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

R.L. Stine posted:

Yeah you can murder the dude beside a cop and they don't give a poo poo. You don't lose honour either I think.
I thought so too but the third or fourth time he spawned for me and I was chasing him down the street after antagonising him - cops started reacting. I don't know if it was a bug or a message from the game to stop repeatedly killing the guy already.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

screaden posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the KKK guys putting up the cross encounter will end up with them dead regardless of your actions. I think it always falls over and the cross bar smacks in to them.

Well, most of them do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6RppmtrDIU

Bonus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-_DDksVQg

:unsmigghh:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I’ve been playing this game at a glacial pace since it came out for a ton of reasons but today I did the mission where you siege Bronte’s house and kill him. It’s weird as hell to me how despite Bronte being a clear piece of poo poo gangster, one who doesn’t even pretend to be running Saint Denis out of some paternal duty ideal, who openly despises everyone in America, and how as a gang Dutch and company have killed their fair share of innocent people that when Dutch drowns Bronte and then gives him to a gator everyone is taken aback at it. If it were up to me I would have fed Bronte to the gator alive. loving lord

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
It's heavily implied throughout the game that while shooting people in the heat of a fight is acceptable, a major part of Dutch's philosophy is not killing people in cold blood or pursuing needless vendettas. The whole plot is about this idealism unravelling through desperation and anger and I think it portrays it really well.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

The one thing that really disappointed me is how empty New Austin is. There's people and towns and a few bounties/hunts out there but there's really nothing much to do. It feels tacked on and pointless besides to tie in with the first game. I honestly wonder if there was a chapter cut from the game where Arthur goes to New Austin since the doctor does tell him to go somewhere warm and dry when he diagnoses him with tuberculosis, which made me think there would be a part in the desert. They built the map and filled it with a few animals and people but didn't do much else. They are for sure going to do a port of the first game though since they have the map already made and just need to adapt the missions. They'd be fools not to.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I feel like playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and 1 in that order will make you instantly develop clinical depression.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Cowman posted:

I honestly wonder if there was a chapter cut from the game where Arthur goes to New Austin since the doctor does tell him to go somewhere warm and dry when he diagnoses him with tuberculosis, which made me think there would be a part in the desert.

I think it was very good that the action then moves to the coldest wettest part of the map and Arthur just goes with it.

It's like, occasionally I hear people say Huckleberry Finn is about the adventures of Huck and Jim as they make their way upriver to the free states. Nope!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Cowman posted:

The one thing that really disappointed me is how empty New Austin is. There's people and towns and a few bounties/hunts out there but there's really nothing much to do. It feels tacked on and pointless besides to tie in with the first game. I honestly wonder if there was a chapter cut from the game where Arthur goes to New Austin since the doctor does tell him to go somewhere warm and dry when he diagnoses him with tuberculosis, which made me think there would be a part in the desert. They built the map and filled it with a few animals and people but didn't do much else. They are for sure going to do a port of the first game though since they have the map already made and just need to adapt the missions. They'd be fools not to.

I’m there now and completely agree. It’s lifeless and boring especially in juxtaposition to the rest of the game. I grabbed a row boat in Thieves Landing and started to row to Mexico across the river. Suddenly the game forced me to stand up and jump overboard. I immediately drowned.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

mycot posted:

I feel like playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and 1 in that order will make you instantly develop clinical depression.

They could stick a bunch of references to RDR2 in the epilogue of 1 that sail over Jack's head but the player could get, ranging from "I knew your father" to important characters from the first one just not recognizing Jack and vice versa

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I could dig a remake with extra bits and pieces like what Yakuza got with Kiwami, for sure.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
To me, New Austin felt like the dedicated "multiplayer zone" , which for someone not interested in Online was disappointing. Granted, I think I prefer this method of stuffing it all into the corner of the map over what GTAV did, where you kept seeing these interesting landmarks dotted all over the place that served absolutely no function in single player. :sigh:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

I’m there now and completely agree. It’s lifeless and boring especially in juxtaposition to the rest of the game. I grabbed a row boat in Thieves Landing and started to row to Mexico across the river. Suddenly the game forced me to stand up and jump overboard. I immediately drowned.

Yeah, this happened to me awhile ago as Arthur. This seems to be the way the game handles you going outside of what areas that are accessible. It's ridiculous and totally annoying. If you don't want me to go somewhere, don't make it seem accessible on the map. Instead we get this ridiculous behavior.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I love being sniped by invisible marksmen when I try to go to New Austin as Arthur!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

I love being sniped by invisible marksmen when I try to go to New Austin as Arthur!

I straight rode my horse across a little river into New Austin in like chapter 2 when I realized it was there and encountered none of the bounty hunters or snipers people talk about.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

I straight rode my horse across a little river into New Austin in like chapter 2 when I realized it was there and encountered none of the bounty hunters or snipers people talk about.

You're ok generally unless you try to go up into tall trees or go past Blackwater.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Speaking of sniping, tonight I learned you can no scope with the rolling block rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_-OPvxeAk8

Give your fire button a half squeeze and you'll shoulder it.

Welp :stare:

Edit:

Oh you only shoulder it while on your horse, boooo give us big rear end single shot iron sighted rifles Rockstar

Beeb fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 6, 2019

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

You're ok generally unless you try to go up into tall trees or go past Blackwater.

No I was definitely blessed by some lucky glitch, I rode all the way to tumbleweed and armadillo and only left when it was clear I want supposed to be there yet. Everyone was sick in armadillo, so I guess that cholera epidemic has been raging for years by the time you gets there in the epilogue

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm up to chapter five and I'm starting to flag a bit now that my favourite characters are dead and the game has thrown me into a whole new thing. Is the rest of the game just more shootouts vs Super Bad Guy and stuff rather than Dutch's and the gang's slow descend into madness and failure, Fitzcarraldo-style? Because if it is I'll probably just youtube the ending.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Pierson posted:

I'm up to chapter five and I'm starting to flag a bit now that my favourite characters are dead and the game has thrown me into a whole new thing. Is the rest of the game just more shootouts vs Super Bad Guy and stuff rather than Dutch's and the gang's slow descend into madness and failure, Fitzcarraldo-style? Because if it is I'll probably just youtube the ending.

Oh there's plenty of descending to go yet.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Pierson posted:

Chapter 5 is very obviously the 'this content was cut for time' bit, with what you can tell was a half-finished map, a lot of cutscenes that just jarringly move the plot forward, and the biggest stretch of back-to-back plot missions that are just stretches of shooting dozens of guys until the game says you're done shooting guys.

Chapter 6 is a lot more like the other chapters, only bleak as hell with a few bright spots. And then there are two epilogues.

Basically, there is a LOT of game left.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pierson posted:

If you're still in Chapter 5 you haven't seen anything yet in terms of misery :unsmigghh:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pierson posted:

Chapter Five is a slog which is weird, but Chapter Six is really, really good. You just have to make sure to do all the new side missions that open up, because there is a lot of optional stuff that really makes that Chapter. As optional as it is, it's all very thematically coherent.

Chapter 6 also is weirdly its own thing in many ways. Like it plays off the plot of the game, but you don't really experience what Red Dead 2 is really about until you get to the end of that chapter.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Chapter Five is a slog which is weird, but Chapter Six is really, really good. You just have to make sure to do all the new side missions that open up, because there is a lot of optional stuff that really makes that Chapter. As optional as it is, it's all very thematically coherent.

Chapter 6 also is weirdly its own thing in many ways. Like it plays off the plot of the game, but you don't really experience what Red Dead 2 is really about until you get to the end of that chapter.

Yeah, basically Chapter six is what the whole game has been building up to, catharsis and all. Which is what makes the existence of Chapter 5 all the more confusing, really.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Pierson posted:

YouTube the epilogue though

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Counterpoint the epilogue is extremely good

Why people would give up on slow moving plot: the game after a slow part is genuinely confusing to me

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

god drat guarma is bad!!!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ThomasPaine posted:

god drat guarma is bad!!!

Gorgeous to look at, though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Guarma was their ode to Far Cry 5.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

At least it’s short!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Guarma's final 'mission' was cool - but that was about it. The rest of it was boring as poo poo, and it totally takes you out of the game. No loving clue what they were thinking.

Edit: not the whole thing (which is one big mission) but once those dudes storm the beach, and you have to fight through it and grab the captain

Epilogue question: other than the graves, are there any other 'after game' achievements? I am going to work through the challenges in the meantime while I hunt down the graves.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 7, 2019

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

One thing I really loving hated after beating chapter 6 and going to the epilogue MY loving HORSE DIED! I had just done the missions to get the really cool orange horse and then I couldn't use it anymore. I totally get why they did that but drat.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

Guarma's final 'mission' was cool - but that was about it. The rest of it was boring as poo poo, and it totally takes you out of the game. No loving clue what they were thinking.

Edit: not the whole thing (which is one big mission) but once those dudes storm the beach, and you have to fight through it and grab the captain

Epilogue question: other than the graves, are there any other 'after game' achievements? I am going to work through the challenges in the meantime while I hunt down the graves.

Guarma was clearly intended to be a much longer section with less railroading. There is a whole town there that isn't used and apparently voice files for Spanish speaking npcs. Pretty obvious they just changed their mind about it halfway through production for whatever reason so it all feels a bit half finished. Really annoying how many animals you can miss easily there too if you're going for the plat.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
As far as I know, you don't need to hunt or study the Guarma animals for either of the related achievements, unless they've changed it since I got them both without having done it (on the PS4). You just have to deal with those blank spaces in your compendium staring at you... judging you.

Thematically I think Guarma has potential, with the brutal realities the protagonists have to face when you take the idealistic gunslingers out of the west and insert them into the wider colonial/imperial context of their world, or even our own world for that matter. But yeah, it's clearly been cut to shreds due to time and/or money. It's not as bad as, say, Metal Gear Solid V, but it's still very noticeable.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

Guarma was clearly intended to be a much longer section with less railroading. There is a whole town there that isn't used and apparently voice files for Spanish speaking npcs. Pretty obvious they just changed their mind about it halfway through production for whatever reason so it all feels a bit half finished. Really annoying how many animals you can miss easily there too if you're going for the plat.

No kidding - I didn't realize that. It was weird how there was really no way to explore - you were on foot, which completely dissuaded me from walking around too much. I can only speak for himself obviously, but I rushed through it quick as I could to get back to mainland.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I just wish they would let us go back to it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Cowman posted:

I just wish they would let us go back to it.

I’m sure some future garbage multiplayer mode will take place there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

My favorite bit in Guarma is that I kept picking up hats from the dead soldiers every time the one I was wearing got shot off and even in the heat of battle all my fellow gang members would stop screaming to go "hey that looks good on you" or "not sure about your new look Arthur"