Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Basebf555 posted:

The Fantastic Four have a lot of baggage associated with them because of how lovely the previous movies have been, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them incorporated into other character's movies before getting one of their own. Maybe Reed Richards pops in for Black Panther 2 to help solve some really tough science-related problem or something.

Someone in the BSS Movie thread mentioned it would have been cool if Reed Richards had a cameo in Endgame, before he got his powers, and helped Tony figure out the time travel stuff. I wish that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

The Fantastic Four have a lot of baggage associated with them because of how lovely the previous movies have been, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them incorporated into other character's movies before getting one of their own. Maybe Reed Richards pops in for Black Panther 2 to help solve some really tough science-related problem or something.

Nah, if anything it'll be easier to do a reset because of how lovely the previous movies have been. The Amazing Spiderman was terrible and there was a lot of teeth sucking at the prospect of a third Spiderman reboot in 10 years, but the Disney/Marvel version has been fine.

That's why I think X-Men is a bigger problem for Marvel. The films have been... mixed in quality but Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart were so iconic in their roles I can't see anyone being accepted as replacing them for some time (no I don't think anyone really buys McAvoy as the Professor).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Timeless Appeal posted:

There's a pretty good Elseworlds called Batman of Akrham in which Batman is a therapist working at Arkham Asylum.
In retrospect, it's surprising that it took so long for someone to run with that idea when one of Batman's things is that his rogue's gallery is mostly mentally ill people.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

something something michel foucault

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

Nah, if anything it'll be easier to do a reset because of how lovely the previous movies have been. The Amazing Spiderman was terrible and there was a lot of teeth sucking at the prospect of a third Spiderman reboot in 10 years, but the Disney/Marvel version has been fine.

That's why I think X-Men is a bigger problem for Marvel. The films have been... mixed in quality but Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart were so iconic in their roles I can't see anyone being accepted as replacing them for some time (no I don't think anyone really buys McAvoy as the Professor).

They did exactly that with Spiderman though, they threw him into Civil War to introduce him before doing the solo film. It's a way to get the audience acclimated to new version of the character before expecting them to show up for a solo movie.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Fassbender was a good enough replacement for magneto, xavier can be replaced too

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lt. Danger posted:

something something michel foucault
Why does the Batcave resemble a barracks which resembles

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Alchenar posted:

Maybe this time Professor X and Wolverine can have American and Canadian accents like they are supposed to. Ideally, Wolverine would be 5'3-5'6 height range. I can't imagine them actually having him short like he should be but it'd be awesome.

Stewart and Jackman were both good at their roles but I personally don't view them as irreplaceable. Did people that see them this way first get into X-Men through the movies?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

kit harrington would make a decent wolverine if the kid could, you know, actually act

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I want Manu Bennett for Wolverine.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Basebf555 posted:

I look forward to the hot takes in this thread when Wakanda has their problems fixed by a white guy

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

TK-42-1 posted:

kit harrington would make a decent wolverine if the kid could, you know, actually act

Could he do a not-englishaccent? I can't even imagine him having the voice for Wolverine.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 3, 2019

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TK-42-1 posted:

I imagine his wolverine would sound like his character from this SNL sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEDKVNoE2ws

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

They have to announce which Phase 4 movies are coming out on what dates sometime soon right? They're not going to just bank on "...next year looks great with MCU movies #24 and #25!" I'm sure investors would love that.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

They have to announce which Phase 4 movies are coming out on what dates sometime soon right? They're not going to just bank on "...next year looks great with MCU movies #24 and #25!" I'm sure investors would love that.

Don’t expect anything until after Far From Home at the very least, Feige has been pretty open about his regrets on revealing all of Phase 3 before it had even started.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Alchenar posted:

The films have been... mixed in quality but Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart were so iconic in their roles I can't see anyone being accepted as replacing them for some time (no I don't think anyone really buys McAvoy as the Professor).

Yeah, I don't think Fassbender or McAvoy were necessarily right, but Patrick Stewart is one of the best castings in any superhero media. McAvoy didn't stand a chance (though also I agree he was miscast in general.)

I hope they don't even try Wolverine for a while, though. Not only was Hugh Jackman in like ten X movies, he was the de facto lead in six or seven of them. He's played the role in about as many movies as Robert Downey Jr played Tony Stark. Not only did Jackman iconically define the role, he played it so many goddamn times. Let it rest.

X-Men is one of those settings where there's no shortage of characters, too. I hope they just focus on some other ones for a while. Try to make Gambit actually interesting, or try Havoc or Iceman again, or Angel. Like, there are literally dozens with way less associational baggage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

God I loving hate We Are the Champions (love Queen tho).

It’s a good rear end song bro

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Basebf555 posted:

I want Manu Bennett for Wolverine.

A little old, but yeah he'd be a good pick. Jack O'Connell would be also be a good Wolverine I think.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

Could he do a not-australian accent? I can't even imagine him having the voice for Wolverine.

this is extremely funny to me because hes british as gently caress

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

TK-42-1 posted:

this is extremely funny to me because hes british as gently caress

Oh yeah I meant English I don't know why I typed Australian. But I haven't heard him doing an American (or Canadian) accent and I've never heard him doing the kind of rough voice Wolverine would need.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

Oh yeah I meant English I don't know why I typed Australian. But I haven't heard him doing an American (or Canadian) accent and I've never heard him doing the kind of rough voice Wolverine would need.

tbh it was more of a joke about him being a 5'4" tiny man rather than a real attempt to say he'd be good at the role. im sure there'd be a lot of people that could fit it but theres always going to be an issue with people who are iconic. like trying to have a new hellboy that isnt perlman for example.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

TK-42-1 posted:

tbh it was more of a joke about him being a 5'4" tiny man rather than a real attempt to say he'd be good at the role. im sure there'd be a lot of people that could fit it but theres always going to be an issue with people who are iconic. like trying to have a new hellboy that isnt perlman for example.

I haven't seen the new Hellboy, but David Harbour at least looks the part. I'm not sure if anyone could ever hope to mimic Ron's charisma as the character, though. Or top The Golden Army's ending, lol.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Bogus Adventure posted:

Or top The Golden Army's ending, lol.

That final scene is funny as hell since it teases at a sequel so hard and it never came.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Get Penn Badgley to stack on 30kg of muscle and play Wolverine.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Nail Rat posted:

That final scene is funny as hell since it teases at a sequel so hard and it never came.

I never expected a sequel, but I loving love how they frame that ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUyaISlGVS0

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogus Adventure posted:

I never expected a sequel, but I loving love how they frame that ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUyaISlGVS0

I enjoyed both of those movies it's a shame the new one is apparently beyond terrible.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

JBP posted:

I enjoyed both of those movies it's a shame the new one is apparently beyond terrible.

:same:

I may see the new one, but not in theaters

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I hear Glenn Danzig is in talks to play Wolverine.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I hear Glenn Danzig is in talks to play Wolverine.

"You talkin' to me, bub?"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I’m assuming Dougary Scott is available?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Bogus Adventure posted:

"You talkin' to me, bub?"

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Ok here's my question
They have that AHA moment where they realize there are three stones in NYC during the invasion. But how did they know the Time Stone was there?
They only met Dr. Strange for like a day 5 years ago. They didn't know that much about him as they figured he was hanging out at the New York Magic Base five years ago and not doctoring. The wizard club can teleport between all their bases right? So then he could be in Asia or whatever? Plus in the first movie they make a point that they normally carry the stone around in day to day life since just having an Infinity Stone on you all the time is just asking for trouble.

I guess you could make the point that TIlda knew they were coming but then why'd she act all surprised when she found Strange gave it away? Some Doctor Manhattan "I was surprised because I looked into the future and saw I was surprised" poo poo?

Anyways did I miss a line about how they were sure the stone was in NY that day?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

Ok here's my question
They have that AHA moment where they realize there are three stones in NYC during the invasion. But how did they know the Time Stone was there?
They only met Dr. Strange for like a day 5 years ago. They didn't know that much about him as they figured he was hanging out at the New York Magic Base five years ago and not doctoring. The wizard club can teleport between all their bases right? So then he could be in Asia or whatever? Plus in the first movie they make a point that they normally carry the stone around in day to day life since just having an Infinity Stone on you all the time is just asking for trouble.

I guess you could make the point that TIlda knew they were coming but then why'd she act all surprised when she found Strange gave it away? Some Doctor Manhattan "I was surprised because I looked into the future and saw I was surprised" poo poo?

Anyways did I miss a line about how they were sure the stone was in NY that day?

They got lucky. They didn't even know Dr. Strange wasn't the Sorcerer Supreme at that point. They made a mistake and it just turned out to be accurate. It was an educated guess built on an inaccurate assumption (Thor and the others only knew Dr. Strange to be in New York so they assume A) he lived there all the time and B) He was the Sorcerer then. Though the guess about the time stone seems reasonable since Strange didn't want to give it up.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GigaPeon posted:

Ok here's my question

Banner presumably found all that out when he got sent there in the beginning of IW, before Strange went and got Stark involved

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Peanut President posted:

really hope the movie is just 2 hours of thanos hanging out at his farm

well i saw the movie and it wasn't this, 0/10

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Peanut President posted:

well i saw the movie and it wasn't this, 0/10

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you, but on the bright side you might want to join my class action lawsuit.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

TK-42-1 posted:

I get that this is an incredibly sperglord type thing to say, but I actually think Perlman was really wrong for the role. I mean, the movie universe Hellboy is super iconic and he did a fantastic job, but, that isn't comic-book Hellboy. And Mike Mignola agrees. I'm only really saying this to suggest that there's still room for a new different Hellboy that wouldn't be walking in Perlmans shadow, although after this new film, that's never gong to happen.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

!Klams posted:

I get that this is an incredibly sperglord type thing to say, but I actually think Perlman was really wrong for the role. I mean, the movie universe Hellboy is super iconic and he did a fantastic job, but, that isn't comic-book Hellboy. And Mike Mignola agrees. I'm only really saying this to suggest that there's still room for a new different Hellboy that wouldn't be walking in Perlmans shadow, although after this new film, that's never gong to happen.

Knowing nothing about the comics and really liking Perlman what was the big difference?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Perlman's Hellboy was pretty goofy and childish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JBP posted:

Knowing nothing about the comics and really liking Perlman what was the big difference?

In the comics, Hellboy is a paranormal detective. He's kind of quite well known, but for being a good paranormal detective. The fact he's a demon is never really something other people especially care about, and he really just wants to belong. He's kind of like if you imagine Batman actually being a detective and doing detective work, except that the stupid costume that makes him look sort of ridiculous is just who he actually is, so it's not a point of derision. No one would ever really call him 'Red', it would just be othering him in a kind of mean way. Even the public, at one point he goes to a really remote house in Scotland and they're just like "Oh you must be detective Hellboy, please come in, my baby is being weird". He's super knowledgeable about all the ghouls and ghosts and stuff, he's almost nerdy, he always has the right little trinket for the occasion., and his having the upper hand in a situation comes from that knowledge. In the films he's sort of portrayed as like "I don't need to care about this stuff I can just punch it" but comic book Hellboy is super fuckin' in denial about his right hand. Movie Hellboy just wouldn't care and would be Perlmanesque 'above it', but the Comic Hellboy is actually a bit more fragile. Although he's anything but physically, and his 'Aw Crap' line that became something of a catchphrase is more like a genuine "Oh poo poo, here we go again with this poo poo" because he genuinely doesn't want to be this punch-demon, but he's sort of overcome with the grim inevitability of it.

I guess it's kind of a subtle difference, but:
No X-men style "just trying to fit in despite being 'other' and everyone hates me"

rather

Wanting to just be 'normal' and be allowed to CHOOSE his own destiny / make his own lifestyle choices. I guess it's more like a billionaire wanting to just live a normal life, but people keep coming up to him going "I'M THE GODDESS HECATE AND YOU'RE GOING TO END THE WORLD" and he's just like, gently caress that I'm going for a pint at this pub in England called the Tudor Rose with a nice graveyard, but then the pub descends into the fiery rum pits of hell and everyone in there is actually a cursed soul. By recognizing details in paintings on the wall, he'd deduce the only way for him to get out is to return his pint glass, that is actually the spirit of a bronze goblet, to the owner, who the locals killed for having a lisp a thousand years ago, but then the whole pub burnt down with them all in it. And it's not funny, it's not like "Rolleyes mug to camera - here we go again!" stuff, it's like, actually sad that this guy was killed for being different, and Hellboy can relate, but he's also sort of upset that he can't even go for a loving pint in peace, and what's more when he finally gets there having punched his way through all the patron-ghosts, and hands over the goblet, the landlord admits that he was also practicing witchcraft and Ithaquabe that's why the place burnt down before he dissipates and Hellboy is left out on the street corner blinking in the daylight, someone would pull up on a bike and ask if he was ok, and he'd say 'Yeah I'm not bad, just ... a little lost'. Or something.

Perlmans Hellboy would be at a bar, and some demons would show up, and he wouldn't fight them because he couldn't be bothered, and then eventually one would spill his drink, and there'd be a shot where the fight stops as they all look at him as he slowly stands up, and then you'd get Jazz.gif of the demons being thrown out of the bel-air mansion. He'd walk out of the bar lighting a cigar, and someone would run up and pepper spray him, and they'd go "Oh ... sorry, I thought you were one of them!" and he'd dejectedly look at his cigar, go "AW CRAP" because it's now too damp with pepper spray to light, throw it on the ground and walk off. Hecate would appear and he'd get in a fistfight with her.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 3, 2019