Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

i remember the coby kyros ~*~in the club~*~

lost to the ages, that video. or maybe cuz yosposters were making GBS threads all over the comments idr

i can somehow still picture some guy miming a "this is what you look like holding that tablet" gesture to the guy filming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

its not particularly analytical - its a mostly journalism as a first draft of history, as told through extensive on-the-record interviews with the two principals (sillyballs and laserdilz). its pretty easy to read between the lines as to what happened and how it all fell apart, though

yeah I'm excited, picked it up a few minutes ago and also saw this lizard on the walk home

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah I'm excited, picked it up a few minutes ago and also saw this lizard on the walk home

good to see mike doing well

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Bobby Digital posted:

good to see mike doing well

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
whatever ended up happening to ol' blackberry, anyway? last i remember they were showing off rebadged androids to nonplussed press in a vegas hotel room or something.

anyway: Reuters: Samsung Electronics says no anticipated shipping date yet for Galaxy Fold

quote:

SEOUL (Reuters) - Samsung Electronics said on Tuesday it cannot confirm the shipping date for its foldable device Galaxy Fold yet and apologized to its pre-order customers in the United States for the delay.

The world’s top smartphone maker delayed global sales of the splashy $1,980 foldable phone after reviewers discovered problems with its display, dealing a setback to Samsung and its efforts to showcase its innovation.

“If we do not hear from you and we have not shipped by May 31st, your order will be canceled automatically,” the South Korean tech giant’s U.S. subsidiary told Galaxy Fold pre-order customers in an email late on Monday, which was confirmed by a Samsung spokeswoman.

As per U.S. regulations, Samsung was required to notify customers that the pre-orders would be canceled in the event the product had not been shipped by May. 31, it said in a separate statement to Reuters.

Though the issue does not hurt Samsung’s balance sheet, the postponement damages the firm’s efforts to portray itself as an innovative first-mover, analysts have said.

Samsung has said it plans to make at least 1 million Fold handsets in the first year, versus the total 300 million phones it produces annually on average.

It closed Galaxy Fold pre-orders earlier due to what it said was “high demand”.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Kins posted:

whatever ended up happening to ol' blackberry, anyway? last i remember they were showing off rebadged androids to nonplussed press in a vegas hotel room or something.

They bought Cylance recently?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Schadenboner posted:

They bought Cylance recently?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
galaxy fold will never be released.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
google io more like google j/o

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
google ayyyylmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
a successor to the Nexus 5?!?!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
pixel 3a brings back the headphone jack, the cowards

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wow, a basic, functional phone with no gimmicks, whose only downside is running android.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/05/07/pixel-3a-everything-new-different-or-removed-compared-to-the-pixel-3-and-3-xl/

Here's some changes from the 3as to the normal 3s.

New:
- Google added the headphone jack back to the 3a/3a XL because they believe that people who can't afford $600+ phones also can't afford Bluetooth headphones. So the Pixel 4 most likely will not have a headphone jack.

(EDIT: I had to quote this because that just seems dense as gently caress but...
)

- Time Lapse mode is new for Pixel devices and will be on all Pixels (1, 2, and 3) via OTA later but it debuts on the Pixel 3as first. You can do 5x, 10x, 30x, or 120x the original speed at 30 FPS.

Different than Pixel 3:
- Processor is slower and not as capable as the Pixel 3's.The GPU is also slower. If you play Fortnite, for example, it'll run at 20 FPS max. Touch latency and scrolling isn't very smooth either.

- Display is not Gorilla Glass and has a lower resolution. It uses Dragontrail Glass.

- The body is basically plastic.

- The speakers are not front-facing.

- Both of the 3as only have 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. No 128GB.

Removed:
- Pixel Visual Core
- Wireless Charging
- Unlimited original Google Photo uploads
- Wide Angle Selfie Camera
- No longer waterproof (no IP rating)
- No headphones in box.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

dragonleavings glass

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i really didn't want to buy a google phone, but the fact that they include the big brothers camera, which spanks everything but that one huawei, actually makes it a pretty tempting device.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

infernal machines posted:

wow, a basic, functional phone with no gimmicks, whose only downside is running android.

pretty big drawback tho

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

since it’s basically a lumia 520 but android

that lack of front speaker but rather a sound hole or whatever is going to make hearing it annoying if not impossible in some situations

lovely build lovely hardware - yeah I guess if you want to not buy a $600 phone but that’s not a 4 year device by any length .

if it’s all you can afford I guess it is attainable but ugh what trash

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Partycat posted:

turn your monitor on

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

infernal machines posted:

turn your monitor on

I got a guy that does that for me

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Partycat posted:

that lack of front speaker but rather a sound hole or whatever is going to make hearing it annoying if not impossible in some situations

lovely build lovely hardware - yeah I guess if you want to not buy a $600 phone but that’s not a 4 year device by any length .

thats the kicker in that if you wait a year the previous pixel will cost the same as a refurb from a deal site

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the a stands for anemic

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 9, 2019

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Partycat posted:

there's a front speaker at the top as well as the sound hole at the bottom

it has a great camera, a decent oled without a notch and a headphone jack. most people aren't really going to care that it's a bit slow (comparable to an OG pixel, which is fine). plastic is actually a plus imo. i droppped my nexus 5 a million times and didn't have to worry about it.

it's not a 4 year phone but considering it's like half the price and even flagships are garbage after ~2 years, getting this and upgrading to the pixel 5a or whatever in 2 years is not a bad way to go, esp for non techheads

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, it might still be lovely build quality, but if it is properly done plastic it is 100% going to be more durable/reliable than its aluminum counterparts, as has always been the case.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

rapeface posted:

even flagships are garbage after ~2 years

get a better flagship lol

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The Video Background Play Fix addon for Firefox Android let's you save money on YouTube red/premium. It's nice.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol @ aosp

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the software thing is becoming the least of huawei's problems as apparently now all arm employees have been ordered to cease contact with them

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i'm the core os without "DHCP Client"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Perplx posted:

i'm the core os without "DHCP Client"

i was just going to post this god drat you!

fine im the google+ apis

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
dhcp is a google play service because it requires access to your account for matching you and your ip address to a location

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao.

no way

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I have no idea but it sounded right 2 me.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

that does sound right. look at every other item in the play services column: its' all account-based poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

dhcp is a google play service because it requires access to your account for matching you and your ip address to a location

lol this is probably true

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

dhcp is a google play service because it was so broken on android phones for so long that they needed to be able to bug fix it regularly. otherwise android phones would have been banned from every corporate network.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

I'm Emoji Compat

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Management posted:

dhcp is a google play service because it was so broken on android phones for so long that they needed to be able to bug fix it regularly. otherwise android phones would have been banned from every corporate network.

ohhhhhhhhhh i remember this lol

yeah network engineering literally had to modify the wireless network so fuckin anroids could connect to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The_Franz posted:

the software thing is becoming the least of huawei's problems as apparently now all arm employees have been ordered to cease contact with them

I wonder if they can still use arm products otherwise it’s :rip: